Mothering Forum banner

pets after baby

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AlexisJackson 
#1 ·
How are you preparing your pets for your newborn? :wink:

#2 ·
It is good that you are thinking about your pet after baby, most of the families kept pets beacause they are alone at home. But after baby come it was very difficult to handle a baby, many people wants to get rid of the pet. But you have few careful thing to handle the pets after baby like make the setup of your dog far from living room, so that they stay away from your babay.

#3 ·
I love that you asked about this. To my hubby and I, our two little dogs were, and still are, our two "first borns". We did a ton of research but to be honest we also did what we thought was best based on the personality of each one. We have a 3-month-old baby and I can tell you how we personally did it and it worked great for us. During the hospital stay, we were going to get someone to watch the dogs but instead decided that my husband would go home for 30 minutes a few times each day to spend time with the dogs. He also brought them some blankets that we had the baby sleeping in so that they could get used to the new smell. When bringing the baby home, we decided we needed to remind them that we were in charge so we slowly exposed the dogs more and more to the baby while we had control holding him, etc. I know that when you are taking care of a newborn life can be super hectic but what I made sure to do was to spend one-on-one time with the dogs throughout the day while the baby was napping. I didn't need to spend a whole lot of time with them as before the baby was here I was at work all day anyways but I made sure to do about 10 minutes of play time with them while he was napping so that they wouldn't grow jealous or act out in any way. My son is only 3-months-old now but the have already learned that when he sleeps they get some play time and really enjoy that. I will also wit with him between my legs on the floor and throw the ball for the dogs or play tug with their toys while still holding them. We personally didn't want having a baby to change things and while not easy I am sure glad we did it the way that we did!

#4 ·
Exposing your pets gradually to the smell and the sound of your baby is important. Keep them somewhat apart until you feel your pet is comfortable. And of course never leave them unsupervised together until you trust BOTH child and pet not to dismember each other. Our pug didn’t really show any interest in the new baby, luckily. She just sleeps next to the baby on my lap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.