Mothering Forum banner

I need a bath!! :(

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  calico_aster 
#1 ·
3 weekks pp- can I take a bath yet? I can't remember what doc said to me ! Any advice?

#2 · (Edited)
I don't know what the official rules are, but I say if you want to, then do! Three weeks sounds plenty. I was taking baths way before I was "allowed" to (that's probably why I don't remember the official rules, ha!). I guess I would first ask if you tore or not, and then also consider how you'll feel getting out of the bath. (Do you have something to grab on to?) With my third, I had a stitch for a tear, and I didn't go in until it dissolved, but when I didn't tear, I went in pretty much immediately, as soon as the super heavy flow stopped. (The light flow went on for weeks and weeks, so I wouldn't have wanted to wait that long.)

(Incidentally, do you have more than one baby? How long did you wait last time? I read on your other post that you're past 3 weeks pp, so I'll assume that was another LO you were talking about?)

#3 ·
I was told to do a sitz bath every day. Not sure why you wouldn't be able to take a bath, that seems odd. Anytime there are wide recommendations from one place to the next you should just do whatever you want, a lack of consensus indicates several possible good answers, so go for it.

#4 ·
My midwife had me take an herbal bath a few hours after birth, before I left the birth center, and encouraged me to take daily baths at home, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to bathe. (I had stitches, too.) Talk to your doctor if you're really worried, but I think it would be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.