What are your favourite parenting books for babies birth - 5 months? - Mothering Forums

5Likes
  • 1 Post By katelove
  • 1 Post By pokeyac
  • 1 Post By calico_aster
  • 1 Post By shoeg8rl
  • 1 Post By kir081315

#1 of 7 Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
What are your favourite parenting books for babies birth - 5 months?

I'm trying to compile a list of parenting books for the first six months with Baby. I have a few books so far, but am struggling to find some simple, yet informative, books on breastfeeding and baby care. I'm also interested in finding a book that focuses on natural remedies for common infant ailments. My problem with most popular parenting books is that they tend to be HUGE (i.e. information overload), and are often judgmental ("If you don't follow my advice, you're a bad parent!") close minded (they assume that you'll be doing what they do, or what everyone else does), or use scare tactics. What are your favourite parenting books for newborns & settled infants? What did you read before your first child that was an amazing help to you? What books have you read that you would recommend to other first-time parents (mothers and fathers)? My list so far includes:

-Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Dr. Marc Weissbluth
-The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program: Follow Your Child's Natural Sleep Rhythms for Better Nights and Naps by Polly Moore
-Parenting Beyond Pink & Blue: How to Raise Your Kids Free of Gender Stereotypes, by Christia Spears Brown
-Bringing Up Bebe, by Pamela Druckerman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I like all the Pinky McKay books. 100 Ways to Calm the Crying is a general parenting one and she also does some breastfeeding one.

Robin Grille 'Heart to Heart Parenting' is lovely.

'Raising Girls' by Steve Biddulph is great. And I've heard good things about 'Raising Boys' as well.

And, finally :-) 'The Science of Parenting' Margot Sunderland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shoeg8rl likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-24-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Dr. Sears has some good books on parenting a baby. The Baby Book has lots of info. He also has a Portable Pediatrician book. I used Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher a lot in the early weeks! I have also heard that the LLL The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is great. I also read Elizabeth Pantley's books on sleeping and napping. I liked her suggestions because they weren't judgemental when it came to nursing to sleep or co-sleeping. The thing I would recommend more than any book is joining some kind of group for new parents. My hospital had one that met each week. It was for parents and babies through the first year. Being around other new parents who had survived was a lifesaver!
shoeg8rl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Married to a wonderful woman
since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our
#4 of 7 Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
LLL's "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" and "Sweet Sleep" are great.
shoeg8rl likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyac View Post
Dr. Sears has some good books on parenting a baby. The Baby Book has lots of info. He also has a Portable Pediatrician book. I used Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher a lot in the early weeks! I have also heard that the LLL The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding is great. I also read Elizabeth Pantley's books on sleeping and napping. I liked her suggestions because they weren't judgemental when it came to nursing to sleep or co-sleeping. The thing I would recommend more than any book is joining some kind of group for new parents. My hospital had one that met each week. It was for parents and babies through the first year. Being around other new parents who had survived was a lifesaver!
Yeah, I've read "The Baby Book" cover to cover, and am personally not a fan. I find him highly judgmental towards parenting practices that don't align with his way. I'll definitely check out those breastfeeding books, though, and that's such a great idea - joining a parenting group. I hadn't thought of that, but I agree that the support would be very helpful. Thanks.
pokeyac likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maternity: coming face to face with tour own shadow-?from Laura Gutman?
#7 of 7 Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeyac View Post
Thanks for sharing. I really need to read more in the parenting genre. I have so many business books. Our children are our greatest business.
pokeyac likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page