Why does commercial baby food taste so bad? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. We will be making our own when ds is ready for solids but dh and I were talking about this the other night. The fruit seems to taste ok. And the meat, while I am a meat eater, I can understand why meat in a jar would taste gross. But why are the veggies so foul? What is in, lets say a jar of gerber peas?

Amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM

If I remember correctly, the only thing in most prepared baby-food is overcooked veggies and lots of water (I always read labels, but it has been a long time since I bought a jar of babyfood). Some brands add sugar to make them taste better.
Steaming your own fresh veggies is much better tasting and more nutritious.
My oldest would never eat anything I wasn't eating - so I would just mush up a little of the food on my plate with a fork and feed to her.
#3 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 03:00 PM

I never, ever fed my kids the baby food meat. I did buy commercial foods, but when they got to the meat stage, I would buy the kind with a fruit/vegetable and a meat mixed together(like Chicken and apples, beef and carrots, etc)
#4 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 03:40 PM

this is why I never fed dd commercial baby food. I made all her baby food myself and it tasted SO much better, will do the same with my ds. (also it is SO MUCH MORE FUN) to make homemade baby food, can it & label it! SO darn cute!
#5 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 03:50 PM

Earth's Best veggies and fruit taste really nice and fresh. That's why I picked them. Gerber Tender Harvest peaches tastes GROSS!
#6 of 6 Old 06-04-2004, 04:03 PM

I actually plan to make dd's food, but we're just starting out & I gave her a wee taste of some Earth's Best first pears... I know this is awful to say it's cute but she made the awfulest faces that she didn't like it! Too cute- she kept tasting it b/c she wanted the spoon but kept making faces!

So I guess she doesn't like pears! :LOL

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page