Mothering Forum banner

What are some tips for helping a reflux infant?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MountainMamaGC 
#1 ·
I'm a nanny and am about to start working for a new family. They have a beautiful 6 month old, and I'm super excited. They told me that their baby has mild reflux, which mainly comes to play with feeding (he can only take about 2 oz of formula at a time). I've cared for many infants, but this is my first reflux baby, and I would love some tips from parents/nannies who've been there. Is there anything I can do to keep him more comfortable? I'm aware that he'll need to be mostly upright while feeding (he doesn't breastfeed at all - just the bottle), but is there a way to do that while still maintaining the intimacy of nursing? Right now, his parents are feeding him every 3 hours (although, according to them, each feeding is a long process, since he can only take a couple of ounces at a time). Is it better to space feedings closer together - maybe every 1.5 hours - since Baby can't take much at a time? He's also starting solids - any tips in that department? What about sleeping? Right now, he sleeps 12 hours every night, with a few short naps every day. His parents said that his naps have increased in length (from about 30 minutes to 1 hr) ever since they tilted his bed (which makes sense). Is there anything else we can do that might help him nap better?

I'm an experienced nanny (this is my 16th baby!), but I'm new in the particular department. I would welcome any tips from people who have experience in this area. Thank you so much.

See less See more
#2 ·
My foster son had mild reflux. I too would give him only small amounts at a time. 3 oz max even at a year old. I would try to keep him upright at least 30 min after feeding. He didnt seem bothered by it as he got older. He would just spit up a lot. Bottle nursing is intimate like breastfeeding. You commit to holding the baby for every feeding and hold them close like you would a nursing infant. I also did that with my foster son. I would hold him close and look into his eyes while feeding him. I never let him have the bottle on his own until he was close to a year. Then I would give him one at night in his crib. Other than that I still held him for his feedings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.