Mothering Forum banner

Walker

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ayeletmarino 
#1 ·
Hi moms! I have 7 month old baby! is it okay to start using a walker at this age? will it not damage her back? thanks:smile::smile:

#2 ·
I am personally not a fan at any age. Apart from the falls risk there can be issues with any device which places them in positions/allows them to perform actions for which they are not yet developmentally ready.

Instead, I would suggest toys/activities which suit her current development. If she is sitting unaided then popping her on the floor with some toys or household objects around her. Or, alternatively, in a high chair (for short periods)with toys on the table/tray.

At that age my girls also both spent quite a lot of time in the carrier as I carried out my daily activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
illegal?

I thought they had been discontinued? (many years ago) Maybe that's just here... Babies can achieve a high rate of speed that is very unsafe, crashing into furniture, knocking crap onto themselves (like fully loaded bookshelves) and launch themselves off staircases. It's like giving a 3 yr old a motorized vehicle.

#4 ·
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10533994

This information was out there even before this 1999 trial. I just can't think of any reason to use a walker because they've been shown BOTH 1) To inhibit babies' development, including motor and 2) To be unsafe.

The "Bayley" is a multi-item tool used to evaluate different aspects of a baby's development. I can't remember the age range it covers - it's been a long time since school and I don't do anything pediatric - but basically the baby range. It's a tool that would commonly be used to, for example, evaluate the effect of a toxic exposure. I am sure there will be a lot of Bayleys done as we try to get a handle on the effects of Zika. Scoring "lower" is not a good thing.

#5 ·
Use household materials instead!

Hi Serena,
I found that letting my little one learn to move on his own was the best thing for his development, and incorporating her movement needs into my daily activity was helpful for both of us (as long as I didn't expect to get tooooo much done!) Instead of investing in a walker, you could encourage her to push a laundry basket down the hall, for instance!

Best, Ayelet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.