1 yr old waking frequently, HELP - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Unhappy 1 yr old waking frequently, HELP

So my 1 yr old wakes up a lot. She has been like this since day 1, the longest stretch she has slept is maybe 4 or 5 hours, no more, but that is when I'm super lucky.

She usually wakes 3-5 x in a normal day, but she can get up up to 10x a night. Sometimes twice every hour.
The problem is that she can't nurse lying down. We cosleep, but still I have to sit down and nurse her for a few minutes.

She doesn't nurse for long, 7 mins tops. I even tried lying while she is nursing, and she will let go of the breast and cry if she is not done, other times she falls back asleep and wakes up in 40 mins to nurse again.

It's been a year since I had a decent nights sleep, or even more, since I had terrible nights when pregnant, I'm really desperate, sometimes I just feel like crying when I wake up for the 8th time in the middle of the night.

Do you have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alada View Post
So my 1 yr old wakes up a lot. She has been like this since day 1, the longest stretch she has slept is maybe 4 or 5 hours, no more, but that is when I'm super lucky.

She usually wakes 3-5 x in a normal day, but she can get up up to 10x a night. Sometimes twice every hour.
The problem is that she can't nurse lying down. We cosleep, but still I have to sit down and nurse her for a few minutes.

She doesn't nurse for long, 7 mins tops. I even tried lying while she is nursing, and she will let go of the breast and cry if she is not done, other times she falls back asleep and wakes up in 40 mins to nurse again.

It's been a year since I had a decent nights sleep, or even more, since I had terrible nights when pregnant, I'm really desperate, sometimes I just feel like crying when I wake up for the 8th time in the middle of the night.

Oh yeah and her naps are terrible as well. She sleeps one long (30-60 mins) naps in the morning and that is usually all, if she naps later they are only 15-30 mins naps
#3 of 11 Old 03-14-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
My son was a little like this

He was always power nursing because he was such a tiny baby and had a lot of catching up to do, compared to his peers, also I think he was using me as a pacifier, because he would nurse in hours long stretches. I don't know if what I did could help, but at around that age my son ramped up the awake times at night (I think walking triggered something in his mind). I would answer every other cry out in the night (he was crying out hourly), and that really slowed down the waking up times. I know that sounds horrible, but it's impossible for me (at least) to only sleep an hour or so at night. And he would only cry out for a short span before stopping again. Also, you could try getting a non nursing person to put her to bed so you help break the nursing to sleep routine. My son was a super intense individual, pretty much anyone we met commented on this.

#4 of 11 Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Is it an option to have your SO cosleep while you sleep in another room temporarily? This is how i nightweaned although my kids kept nursing for several years after. It was a couple of rough nights for dh, but everyone slept better afterwards.
Also, you mention naps in your post. I would try one nap a day.
#5 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alada View Post

My daughter too, when she was as yours. Think, it`s their anxiety. In early childhood it appears in a such kind of problem, but then it will revealed in different fears.
#6 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone for the suggestions.

We took her for a therapy three weeks ago, the therapist said her lower neck was really stiff, she was hardly able to touch her. We had to stop right there. We came back a week later, during this week I tried massaging her neck every day. We saw some improvement but not much. The therapist said she was not able to stay in bed for long periods because her neck pain.
We had another therapist see her, and he said she was dehydrated and recomended alkaline water. We are working with that now.

It seems as she is improving a bit, a few nights ago I was able to sleep three hours, wich really is amazing.

We have tried letting her cry for a few minutes to see if she falls back asleep, but she will cry like a maniac if we try that. I don't think moving her to another room or letting her cry every other nap will help. But I will keep those ideas in mind, thanks.

I would like to say is anxiety as she is about to start walking, but she is being like this since day 1

thanks for all the suggestions, I will keep you posted in case is helpful for somebody else.
#7 of 11 Old 03-27-2017, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transylvania_mom View Post
Is it an option to have your SO cosleep while you sleep in another room temporarily? This is how i nightweaned although my kids kept nursing for several years after. It was a couple of rough nights for dh, but everyone slept better afterwards.
Also, you mention naps in your post. I would try one nap a day.

Hmm, I haven't thought of that. Maybe I can suggest that. DH is a heavy sleeper, so I wonder if he would wake up when the babe wakes.

thanks
#8 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are certain sleeps/ sleep sacks out there that make the baby feel comforted. Maybe she would like a noise machine or a night light.

Also make sure you have a routine every night -- that will help greatly.
#9 of 11 Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
stiffness in the neck

Is surely a very unusual thing in babies, no?
#10 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumto1 View Post
Is surely a very unusual thing in babies, no?
Yes, both therapists told me that is very unsual, one of them suggested might be dehydration, which I find unlikely because she is breastfeed at demand, however she has never being a good nurser. She nurses a few minutes and off she goes
#11 of 11 Old 03-29-2017, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltruitt View Post

Also make sure you have a routine every night -- that will help greatly.
We have a routine, but with three older siblings is a very chaotic one. We are changing the routine so she unwinds from the day. It looks like its working since she is not having problem falling sleep now, the problem is staying asleep.

thanks for the suggestions

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page