Help: Feeding challenges - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Unhappy Help: Feeding challenges

Good morning lovely moms,
I am new here and joined in desperation. I'm hoping I can get some feedback/help as I am a new mom and have no experience in this area.
My little one is just over 10 months old now. She started solids a few months ago and was great at eating cereal, fruits/veg purees etc. She has been teething and now has 4 upper teeth and 5 at the bottom. She has stopped showing interest in solids over the last few months. We thought it might just be teething but it's been so long now. She will eat a good bit once in a while but not regularly. The pediatrician says she is growing well and is maintaining her growth curve. His recommendation was to start cutting back on formula and giving her more solids. We hadn't even started that yet but over the past few days she's cut back on formula herself, hardly wants a bottle and cries/tries to jump out of her seat when presented with one. She has no interest in eating either. I have tried everything from purees, to finger foods, table foods etc. She will eat a very small amount and then throws everything off her plate and swats away the spoon. Behaviour wise she is happy, and her normal self and is full of energy. I'm at my wits end because I don't know what to do to encourage her to eat more solids and now she doens't want her bottles either. Help!!! Any suggestions would be great. I don't wanna feel like I am alone in this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
As everything else is going well then I wouldn't worry too much about it at this stage. The main concern in the short term is dehydration so you do need to make sure she is having 6-8 wet nappies/24hrs.

I would have a break from solids altogether since it seems to have become an issue for her. "Food before one is just for fun" after all :-) Leave it for a week or so and then just start offering her bits from your plate in a very low key way. If you give her one at a time that will reduce the mess if she throws it away as well.

For the formula, maybe try and change the routine. Don't make her lie down or sit in a high chair, just offer it where she is. And perhaps try a cup or drink bottle instead of a baby's bottle. Also offering when they are sleepy can sometimes help.

All the best. Please come back and let us know how things go :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 8 Old 09-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
agree

She's still very little. I would include her in as much social eating as possible, with peers, friends, family etc. Maybe she's caught a bug? One battle you will never win is what she will eat so don't even engage her in one. And be open to any kind of eating at all.

#4 of 8 Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. I will take your suggestions and try not to get frustrated although it is so hard. I`ll post an update in a few days. Thanks again for the support!
#5 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just google it and you'll find thousands of answers. for example: I would have a break from solids altogether since it seems to have become an issue for her. "Food before one is just for fun" after all :-) Leave it for a week or so and then just start offering her bits from your plate in a very low key way. If you give her one at a time that will reduce the mess if she throws it away as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 of 8 Old 09-16-2017, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiinterface View Post
Just google it and you'll find thousands of answers. for example: I would have a break from solids altogether since it seems to have become an issue for her. "Food before one is just for fun" after all :-) Leave it for a week or so and then just start offering her bits from your plate in a very low key way. If you give her one at a time that will reduce the mess if she throws it away as well.

Hm, you didn't exactly need to trouble google though, did you. Since you have lifted my post word for word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#7 of 8 Old 09-20-2017, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This has got to be driving you nuts!!! Have you tried offering the potty when she doesn't want to eat or sit? Check out elimination communication - we all have instincts to not eat while pooping or peeing (to go bathroom first) and some babies signal more strongly than other (yours sounds exactly like that!).

xx Andrea, Go Diaper Free

Andrea Olson, LOs = 5yo, 2yo, + 5month old all ECed from birth
Author | Go Diaper Free & The Tiny Potty Training
Owner | TinyUndies.com

I teach new parents how to ditch diapers with elimination communication at
and I also sell small underwear at
#8 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaOlson View Post
This has got to be driving you nuts!!! Have you tried offering the potty when she doesn't want to eat or sit? Check out elimination communication - we all have instincts to not eat while pooping or peeing (to go bathroom first) and some babies signal more strongly than other (yours sounds exactly like that!).

xx Andrea, Go Diaper Free
Hi Andrea,
She isn't using the potty yet as she is only 10 months old however you have a good suggestion. I will check her diaper before trying her feeds to see if she has peed/pooed and maybe that will make a difference.

She is doing better this week. We tried a different bottle and she started taking it and I am just leaving her in her high chair to feed herself and letting her control how much she eats.

Thanks for all your suggestions!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page