Baby falls off bed -- Please advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-05-2004, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear mommies,

I was extremely careless today We just got back from a 3 week vacation and though I know that DS should not be left unattended on the bed (he has started moving a lot) I did it.. Hubby was already asleep and I put DS (who was wide awake) next to him and went down to get some cereal for him.. Although there were some pillows -- DS probably went over them - I heard a big thud - and my sweeetie had a fall.....I am very angry at myself for this..He fell from a 2 ft ht and hit the carpeted floor. We do not think he hit any other objects. He cried for some 20 mins and soon was ok. There are no big bruises --My big question-- What should I look out for to make sure he is perfectly ok. I called the advice nurse and was told to report if there is more than 2 vomitting. So far no vomitting. I am thinking of asking the doc to take an Xray so as to make sure there are no internal wounds. Please offer your advice.

Thanks
deepa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 07:33 AM

He's probably just fine. A baby who has a concussion will not stop crying, may be lethargic (not to be confused with regular tiredness that he may have already been prior to the fall), and his pupils may look funny.

My baby took her first tumble at five months. She was in her swing, which wasn't swinging, and though the tray was down she wasn't buckled beneath it. When my back was turned, she got her legs up and flipped herself head-first out of the chair onto the floor which was carpetted, but had only cement beneath it. She got a black eye, but was just fine. Since then she regularly takes tumbles, as most mobile 11 monthers do. :LOL

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 07-05-2004, 10:49 AM

Yeah, ds has fallen too. The main question is, "Is your child acting normal?" If so, then here are my doctor's words for you: "It happens to all of us." Otherwise, you may want to get your baby checked as a precaution, but if they don't see anything visual, they probably won't run a long list of tests.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
Old 07-05-2004, 01:07 PM

I feel your pain mama!

I would just keep a close eye on him, unless your *really* worried then I'd say take him to the ER just for peace of mind, if he has a concussion he may vomit numerous times as well..

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 07-05-2004, 02:07 PM

Today was our first bloody injury!!
Cassidy woke in such a good mood, we were playing in bed and I went to get up and get a diaper and she thought I was gonna "get" her and she lunged....right off the bed....it was awful!! she was screaming and then the blood started coming....lots and lots and LOTS of blood, pouring out of her mouth, I panicked (so much for keeping my motherly cool) and didn't know what to do so I stuck her in the stroller and headed up to find her dad, he was out feeding cows....as soon as I put her in the stroller she was fine, stopped crying, wasn't bleeding as much etc, I was still not okay, halfway down the road I realized I was having a full on panic attack and couldn't draw a breath, I now know how people with asthma must feel, it was really scary and I was so disappointed in myself for dealing with our first injury so poorly!! DH found us in the road, both covered in blood me gasping for air, we were not a pretty site! Her top gum is busted open about an inch across and maybe exposing a tooth that hadn't come in yet...I have shown all the other parents around here and they all say while it looks bad it's really not that bad and if it were them they wouldn't go to the doctor, I didn't want to go but didn't know if I should, did she need stiches, and who would hold her down because I for one could not...also I didn't want to get the ration of b.s. doctors feel the need to give those of us who decide not to vaccinate our kids ...anyways the storm is quiet now, she's finally asleep (this happened at 7 this morning) and I've finally stopped sobbing over it actually not totally done crying over it...yikes....poor thing has had a rough few days with her mom, I burnt her mouth with food that was too hot the other day, then smashed her finger moving a chair, and now this....god how will she ever make it into toddlerhood....how will I? Maybe I took it so bad because of all my pregnancy hormones, I'm loaded with them to be sure......
What a Monday morning...can I please go back to bed now....
So be thankful Deepa there was no blood, that has got to be the worst....
Old 07-06-2004, 03:19 AM

Eva fell off the bed today. She cried for a little while, but I think she was more scared than anything. I checked her over, grabbed and rubbed each part of her, just to see if there was any reaction. She seemed fine. I know it's scary, but usually they can take a tumble or two.
However, always trust your instincts. If you really feel something is wrong, then take him to a doctor.
Hope all is well.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

Old 07-06-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah these baby falls/injuries are very upsetting. DS seems to be ok so far-- but there was another minor incident today. Since his fall we no longer sleep on the bed and sleep on sleeping bags on the floor. Anways, today I put him far from everything on the floor -- and within mins heard him cry--Came back to see that he hit his head against a table legs..Mnn this lil guy is getting very mobile. Terion, I sincerely wish the best for Cassidy. Bottom line is do not take any chance-- easier said than done though.
Old 07-07-2004, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh gees, my babies fall off the bed all the time. And our bed sits 3 feet up and on hard wood. The only time we had a problem is my middle child hit funny and snapped her collar bone. And let me tellyou, we knew right away that she had messed somehting up in a big way. SHe was a very crabby baby who fussed all the time and we still knew right away that something was wrong. If there was something wrong with your wee one you would know too. Watch for a head injury, although on carbet I highly doubt it. Here are some other things we have excaped without head injury: Falling down the stairs head over heals . 15 stairs. she did this at least 3 times. from 5 ft up landed on her forehead on ice (note the ice. she went flying out of my arms we did do head x-rays for that one right away), diveing from a grocery cart, tipping a grocery cart, all sorts of grocery cart incidences now that i think of it, my first liked to just wyhip her head down onto cement when she was mad (you better believe everyone in a room jumped up to give her whatever she wanted, effective, no?) and all three of my children had thier ways they liked to get out of bed. madeline would sit cross legged on the edge and lean forward until she hit the floor, Lilyka would dive head first, and Ava prefered to roll, now she scoots and drops, usuallky smacking the back of her head (note they all do this intentionally - goofy kids) they are all reletively normal and other than a couple of bruises we have escaed injury all but once. And she did recover from that very quickly (12 hours and she was back to normal despite the hideous brace she was sporting but she was bearing weight on it and crawling around and everything).

It sucks to hear that smack, regardless of how often I have heard it, and I do keep a list of what to watch for for head injuries. But after a while you relize they are tough and designed to take the lickin' they can dish out on themselves.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-07-2004, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
Oh gees, my babies fall off the bed all the time. And our bed sits 3 feet up and on hard wood. The only time we had a problem is my middle child hit funny and snapped her collar bone. And let me tellyou, we knew right away that she had messed somehting up in a big way. SHe was a very crabby baby who fussed all the time and we still knew right away that something was wrong. If there was something wrong with your wee one you would know too. Watch for a head injury, although on carbet I highly doubt it. Here are some other things we have excaped without head injury: Falling down the stairs head over heals . 15 stairs. she did this at least 3 times. from 5 ft up landed on her forehead on ice (note the ice. she went flying out of my arms we did do head x-rays for that one right away), diveing from a grocery cart, tipping a grocery cart, all sorts of grocery cart incidences now that i think of it, my first liked to just wyhip her head down onto cement when she was mad (you better believe everyone in a room jumped up to give her whatever she wanted, effective, no?) and all three of my children had thier ways they liked to get out of bed. madeline would sit cross legged on the edge and lean forward until she hit the floor, Lilyka would dive head first, and Ava prefered to roll, now she scoots and drops, usuallky smacking the back of her head (note they all do this intentionally - goofy kids) they are all reletively normal and other than a couple of bruises we have escaed injury all but once. And she did recover from that very quickly (12 hours and she was back to normal despite the hideous brace she was sporting but she was bearing weight on it and crawling around and everything).

It sucks to hear that smack, regardless of how often I have heard it, and I do keep a list of what to watch for for head injuries. But after a while you relize they are tough and designed to take the lickin' they can dish out on themselves.
WOW!! Thank you for posting this! We just bought a new bed and it is 3 ft high on the hardwood floor - I am SO SCARED that DS is going to fall from it because he LOVES diving head first of course and thinks it's halarious! (sp?)
I am really scared he will wake up one day and will head rigtht fro the floor....which I am sure will happen eventually. I am fine with any other minor accidents but this bed is way too high for my taste....
Old 07-09-2004, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
And to make it all the worse the new mattresses make rails completely useless (not that they aren't completely useless of if your child is prone to jumping anyway but still . . .) I would recommend a trundle bed. or a mattress that can slide out from under your bed. even if they don't sleep on it it would be a more inviting place for them to fall Ava rolled off once and i remember thinking Oh crap and waiting for her to scream. After a couple of seconds I freaked and then looked over to see she had fallen into a laundry basket and never woke up :LOL

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
Ava rolled off once and i remember thinking Oh crap and waiting for her to scream. After a couple of seconds I freaked and then looked over to see she had fallen into a laundry basket and never woke up :LOL
: too funny (well not that she fell but you know..)

I used to keep pillows or a blanket on the floor next to the bed just incase until we gave up and put it on the floor.

s for all the babies that fell.

User Tag List