Mothering Forum banner

Correlation between wieght and when baby crawls and/or walks?

600 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  AllyRae 
#1 ·
A while back I remember reading a post in which the poster mentioned a study/paper she had read or heard of which showed a correlation between a baby's weight, and when the baby crawled/ walked? I beleive it was something to the effect of babyies begin to crawl when they hit about 12 pounds, and walk when they were about 20 pounds?

I can not seem to find the post. I'm interested in reading more about this theory, and so far, my Google searches have been unsuccessful.

TIA!

#2 ·
i can't imagine that's the case. it's more of a timeframe/milestone thing. dd was 12 lbs by 2 months & 20 by 6! there are age ranges for the milestones- crawling is somewhere between 6-10 months (average) and walking 9-15 months. i'm basing this on memory from dd's ped visits, so not vouching for total accuracy.

#3 ·
LOL.... can't say I've seen this study but first hand my DS proved it wrong.... he was 12 pounds by 1 month (and defintatly not crawling!) and 20lb around 8 months. He started crawling (army crawl) around 7 1/2 months and is not walking yet (at 9 months).

#5 ·
doesn't work for my very petite DD, either.

I'd say the correlation was just the law of averages, most babies hit milestones at certain ages, and most babies are near the middle of the growth charts for weight and height. A correlation in data doesn't mean a direct relationship.

#6 ·
My ds was the slowest weight gainer (12 lbs at 6 months), ahead of nearly every milestone, but just NOW started crawling...7 1/2 months, 16 lbs (he also just had a growth spurt). He can't walk now, but he could stand without holding onto anything before he could crawl.

However, he could sit unassisted at 3 1/2 months old at a whopping 10 lbs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.