How much BM/Formula does a 7 month old drink? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2004, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear mommies,

My lil boy turns 7 months tomorrow. I think he weighs around 19 lbs. Currently I try to give him solids 3x a day (rice cereal in the morning, fruit/veggie soup in the after noon and similar stuff in the night). In between solids he takes a total of 12-14 oz of EBM + Formula during the day. I feed him during the night. My question to you is -- he getting enough milk in his diet? Or should I feed him less of solid food and more of BM/Formula? Pl advice and share your DS/DD's diet.

Thanks
Deepa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2004, 01:17 AM

The key thing to remember is that your baby's diet is suppose to consist of mostly milk for the first year, that should be their primary source of nutrition. Solids are only a supplement, used more (in the first year) for developmental reasons, rather than nutritional. Aiden is 6.5 months old, he only has solid food once or twice a day, and the solids are only half of his feeding, I follow up with the breast. I would call your doctor to double check on the amount of bm/formula your baby should be getting, but the number does sound a little low to me.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 AM

My baby is FTT and fed partially by tube, so I can answer this question. We see a Ped GI/nutritionalist every month, who tells us how much to feed Nitara. Currently she is to take:

At least 24 oz. to stay hydrated
at least 28 oz. to avoid losing weight
goal is 30-32 oz. per day to grow on

If she can only handle 24-28 oz. in a day I make 22.5 cal formula by adding an extra scoop of formula per 16 oz. of prepared formula. the cal refers to how many calories per oz. Breastmilk and standard formula have 20 cal/oz.

The ped GI said that a baby usually will not take more than 32 oz. per day and if they start needing more and acting hungry then it's about time to introduce solids. Of course some babies don't start solids right away, or those with feeding problems can't take solids, but 32 oz. a day is enough to grow on for the first year for most normal, healthy babies.

Solid foods have more calories than formula/breastmilk and most solids contain water that counts towards the total amt. taken in. If he's not showing signs of dehyration (few wet diapers, dry mouth, very dark urine, etc) I would say he's doing well on his own, and will tell you if he's not getting enough. The ped GI recommends 24 oz. of formula per day for Nitara even after she starts solids, but that's because she has some catching up to do. Your baby sounds nice and healthy!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 07-27-2004, 03:07 PM

ack!! My baby has gradually increased her formula needs all along. Now she is eating over 32 ounces per day. Are you saying I should keep her at 32 ounces and introduce solids now? She is only 4 months old. I thought that solids before 6 months put a baby at a higher risk of allergies. I was told the amount of formula a baby should take is based on weight. 2-2.5 times their weight per day (3x max) - meaing a 10 lb baby should take anywhere between 20-30 ounces per day.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:16 PM

gokiamama: I recommend feeding more milk and less solids. like Erin said, bm (or formula if bm is not available) at 7 months, his diet should still be mostly milk. my son is 5 months old and he has never had anything but breastmilk, and we won't start solids until around 9 months. there have been interesting discussions on when to introduce solids, and there are different sides and POV to the subject, BUT we all agree breastmilk (or formula) should be the 1st source of nutricion for the entire first year. ofcourse they do receive SOME kind of nutrients from solids but their intestines are still too immature and not likely to be ready to digest everything without intestinal irritation. JMO
Old 07-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnitti
ack!! My baby has gradually increased her formula needs all along. Now she is eating over 32 ounces per day. Are you saying I should keep her at 32 ounces and introduce solids now? She is only 4 months old. I thought that solids before 6 months put a baby at a higher risk of allergies. I was told the amount of formula a baby should take is based on weight. 2-2.5 times their weight per day (3x max) - meaing a 10 lb baby should take anywhere between 20-30 ounces per day.
When to introduce solids has NOTHING to do with babies weight. In fact, this is a myth! but we know now, for a fact, that just because a baby is chubby or skinny, he doesn't need solids sooner or later just based on weight. for example, my ds is between 22 and 25 lbs right now. he is 5 months old. I won't start him on solids for a good 4 more months. he's just not ready for food, and he's gaining great on breastmilk.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:45 PM
bec

Emily is 7.5 months old. I pump for her, so have a pretty good idea how much she takes in (although I try not to obsess about it. I just feed her when she's hungry). She has some solids, but not too many, maybe an ounce or two of baby food a day max. In addition to that, she drinks about 30-32 ounces of EBM a day.

My understanding is that for the first year, solids should not replace any BM/ABM feedings, but simply be added to it.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:47 PM

When to introduce solids has NOTHING to do with babies weight. In fact, this is a myth! but we know now, for a fact, that just because a baby is chubby or skinny, he doesn't need solids sooner or later just based on weight.

Agreed! It has more to do with development. Like showing an interest in food, being able to sit upright on their own, imiating chewing motions when parents eat, willing to explore things with mouth, absense of tongue thrust reflex, etc.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

User Tag List