August Thread for April Mama! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 183 Old 08-23-2004, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Christy, a WHOLE jar of pears!? Wow. I thought Talia was eating a lot, and it's only about 25% of a jar at each meal! But I am mixing with at least an ounce of EBM, so that counts for somethin'!

RufusBeans, I am so sorry Katya isn't feeling well and you aren't sleeping. The antibiotics definitely upset little tummies (and sometimes big ones, too!). My ds had similar symptoms (excessive pooping, for one) when I was on them and bfing him at 8 mos. old. So I can only imagine what it does when the babe is taking them directly herself. I was on penicillin a few weeks ago, and thankfully it didn't affect Tali, but ds was always more sensitive than she is so far.

Ds turned 4 yesterday!! I can't believe how old he is getting. We went out to dinner with my parents and my brother. They got him his first 2 wheel bike, which he now refuses to ride b/c he doesn't want to wear the helmet. Hopefully that will pass.

Enjoy this day. If it is as beautiful where you are as it is in CT, you will!!
#122 of 183 Old 08-23-2004, 03:38 PM

RufusBeans, can they lower the dose (also extending the time) of the antibiotics? I've had the Dr. do that for me before when they upset my stomach. I know how much more frustrating things are on little sleep, but hang in there!! At least if they can't lower the dose, you know there's an end to it.

Miles is still having some tummy troubles. I tried the finger and he did NOT like it. It didn't seem to work either.

mum2lillie - when did you do it? At a certain time of the day, once a day? And for how long each time? Hope I'm not pestering you.
#123 of 183 Old 08-23-2004, 05:00 PM

Hi Mama Iam back from Chloe appoinhtment she still has a tiny hole in her heart but nothing serious they said it should close but if it doesnt then its not serious enough for sugery. she will just need anobotics when she goes to the denist. anyways thats about it for my day.
momtolillie I found out Chloe had a heart murmer when she was born. Ive been through this before with my older daughter so Iam more relaxed then I was with Rachel.
rufusbeans I hope your daughter feels better soon.

Christina

Mom to  Rachel 15 Kimberly 12 Chloe 10 and Nathaniel 8
#124 of 183 Old 08-23-2004, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

rufusbeans! I am so sorry about Katya not feeling well. I thought this may happen when you mentioned antiobtics.. Thats why I mentioned the tea tree oil... Another thing I thought of it asking your doc for a antiobotic that you can put right on her finger... Then put a bandaid right on it and then put a sock over that hand so she cant get it off or in her mouth.. That may be better for her.. I just dont like antiobotics for babies or taking them when nursing if there is another way to go.. Thrush is also somethign to watch out for when on them.. Hope she feels better soon.
Teachma I KNOW Spencer is a BIG boy.. He is about 17 pounds now.. He has a hearty appitite.. But he has always been a quick nurser nurses about evey 3 hours ( sometimes 2) and only for about 5-10 min... Anyhow He is healthy and thats all I worry about. Well gotta run our dinner is ready.. Talk to you all soon.. Love ya christy
#125 of 183 Old 08-23-2004, 11:40 PM

I nursed Katya to sleep at four pm in the big bed (no thanks to my dumb dog--another story) Its 8:40 and she is still sleeping!!!

Please let her sleep tonight!
#126 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 12:43 AM

Hi everyone! It has been a long while since I've checked in, but wanted to say hi again. Here's what's up with us:
Joshua is doing great - turning into his own little self. He's rolling over both ways, picking up toys, chewing on everything especially his hands ALL DAY, eating rice cereal a couple of times a day, can just about hold his body up if I sit him up between my legs, gooing and gurgling, laughing, wanting to only nurse in the bed (!), almost holding his arms up to be picked up (at least I like to imagine that's what it is , likes to be in his walker to play with his toys, LOVED the jumpy door hanging thingy, loves to be held constantly, loves the sling, cries with strangers and loud noises (is kinda wimpy actually ), happy, rolly, and big (I'd say about 17lbs by now - we go in next week to Dr.). Oh, we've been swimming a few times too and he has been floating and even went under a couple of times. Pools are like the bath here in AZ so he is very happy in there. Mom has salt system, so I feel ok with him in there. He has been kind of fussy the last couple of days. I expect some change in development is around the corner. He isn't content to be anywhere for more than a few minutes - almost like he's restless or bored. Has been sleeping on and off a lot more than usual too. Otherwise doesn't really have any symptoms of being sick, I don't see any little teeth, so who knows. Just grumpy. I guess that's it from us. We're having fun and loving our happy baby!
Wendy
#127 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 10:38 AM

nak
well z's wc is back with a vengence.....
when dh was out of town the last 2 weeks he really was almost not coughing at all. i had no choice but to bring him on errands- school, the store etc, i guess it was too much too fast.
so we are back in the acupuncturists a few times a week again. i hate when we get no sleep it is soo tough on the whole family.
in september i start a holistic doula training program- i am too excited!!!!!
#128 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 12:07 PM

Maria-how wonderful about your doula program! What is the difference in holistic and regular doula training? I'm excited for you!

Jule924-Okay with Isabella, I did the finger stretching different times of the day. Sometimes it would take ours before I she pooped. Did you get it up into the inner sphincter? That's what needs to be stretched out.

If her is really constipated, you may want to try rubbing his lower abdomen as much as you can. The castor oil can come in hand at that point.

I've also heard pf people giving their babies corn syrup. I don't know if I would, but you can always try a very small amount.

One thing that helped Bella's tummy was me drinking Mother's Milk tea. It is very good for digestion, I believe it's the fennel in it. Good luck and you aren't pestering, I'm glad to help. E-mail me if you have any questions kdoll729@bellsouth.net
#129 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Maria-how wonderful about your doula program! What is the difference in holistic and regular doula training? I'm excited for you!

Jule924-Okay with Isabella, I did the finger stretching different times of the day. Sometimes it would take hours before she pooped. Did you get it up into the inner sphincter? That's what needs to be stretched out.

If he is really constipated, you may want to try rubbing his lower abdomen as much as you can. The castor oil can come in hand at that point.

I've also heard pf people giving their babies corn syrup. I don't know if I would, but you can always try a very small amount.

One thing that helped Bella's tummy was me drinking Mother's Milk tea. It is very good for digestion, I believe it's the fennel in it. Good luck and you aren't pestering, I'm glad to help. E-mail me if you have any questions kdoll729@bellsouth.net
#130 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Wendy I may have ask this once before but what part of Az are youin? I am in the lower left corner of the state, near the new mexico and Mexico boarders.. So way down here! Small crap town called Willcox.
Hope Katya is feeling well..
Maria So sorry to hear that the WC is back! I have heard it can linger for while and that it was on a comeback from being almost gone years back.. I hope he can kick it soon and be back to sleeping and healthy again.
Nothign really new here. But Spencer is a mover and shaker.. He is rolling all over the place now.. He rolls both ways and all over the living room floor. He grabs everything!!!!!! Drives me batting sometimes but I so do love it.. Hes just happy and laughing and loving all day long. He gets pissy when hes over tires and thats OH SO FUN! BUt other then that we are well. He had peas the other day and liked them.. ( I hate peas) Well I better get going Hayley yelling for me she has found a page in her book for us to color.. Duty calls
#131 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 PM

Finally, poop success!! Thanks again mum2lillie. I gave him a couple massages yesterday and one this morning. I also skipped cereal yesterday and just gave him squash. Maybe that's what helped and may he was just ready. Who knows, but its a load off (no pun intended )

All's well here. Got pictures taken at the mall this afternoon (freeby coupon). It was cute. He's naked on a black blanket on his tummy. It was naptime, but he was still an angel - smiling and everything.

We tried sweet potatoes - LOVES them . He's a great little eater. I think I'm going to do cereal in the mornings and veggies at night. I'll work in carrots, peas and green beans in the next week

Like Spencer, Miles eats every 2-3 hours and only for about 10 minutes. He's a big boy, too - 17 lbs. also. Christy, is Spencer sleeping all night? I worry that Miles doesn't get enough during the day and that's why he's waking at night again now (2 times usually). Just wondering.

Miles also seems more restless now. He won't play on the floor for long and get mad at the toys. He's not rolling from tummy to back yet so he gets mad when he has "tummy time". He's strong enough, but just hasn't "gotten" it yet. He also gets mad when he can't lift the toys off his saucer. He's happy when I play with him, though.

Gotta run - he's awake.
#132 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 04:56 PM

Hi everyone! Well we had Carson's 4 month WBV last week, and he weighs 15 lbs exactly- which apparently is 50th percentile, smack dab inthe middle. Not that I focus on the percentiiles, but now it's nice when people say "he's SOOOO big!" or "he's only 4 months? He looks at least 6!" I can say he is perfectly average for his age! He's even a little long (22 inches at birth) so he's not very chunky.

I am considering starting him on some rice cereal, but I am so afraid of the poop that comes along with solids (we're cd'ing), and I don't really think he's ready, anyway. I'll probably start that around 6 months. He's rolling over like crazy, then cries once he gets on his belly because he hates it and gets stuck! We need to have more practice belly time.

He also is really picky about eating. He'll only breastfeed well at home, and usually the best in bed. He doesn't like to sit up on my lap and eat that way. I don't know if it's a let-down thing or what (my milk has always had a really fast initial llet-down), but it can be a little frustrating when we want to take him places and he goes on hunger strikes!

OK- he's cryin now...gotta go.
#133 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Jule924 Spencer sleeps all night usually... Lately with his teeth bothering him He will be a bit restless. He usually sleeps from about 830-9 to about 4-5 am BUt last night he ate around 730pm and then got up at about 230ish this morning to eat. BUt still that was 7 hours.. Then down and back up around 7am... Another 5 hours.. So he sleeps pretty well. What I do is give cereal IN the mornings now that I am doing veggies too. So then the veggies are at night. I think today we will have some sweet potatos.. He likes them best so far.. I am glad he has poopy for ya.. I know he must feel better. That cereal can cause them to get backed up.. I make mine pretty soft and add water.. I think with the water helps keep it from getting so stuck in there ya know.. I dont know though..
Gillian glad you got to stop by and share wiht us. Nice to hear from you and about Carson. I know what you mean about people making comments.. Its hard not to get defensive about it sometimes when its only the 100th time you heard it that day. : Im right there with ya.. OUr baibes are just healthy cant they see. When ever we go anywhere. ( which towni s a hour and 20 min away) I always will nurse Spencer in the truck before we go in. I turn the air on and the radio on low and nurse him there so hes not hungry and fussy once inside and hes content in his stroller with his keys and happy with a full tummy and often will fall asleep .. It workds out nice for us. Hope everyone is well.
#134 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 09:15 PM

Talia likes sweet potatoes best so far, too, with peas in second place. She doesn't really like any of the fruit: bananas, pears or applesauce. I am kind of surprised by her preferences.

Anyone else have a baby who doesn't really nap? She takes a 20 min. catnap and another 40 min, nap, but that's it between 8 am and 10 pm!! I don't understand. She will NEVER fall asleep in the car or stroller, either. Sometimes when I wear her in the Baby Bjorn, but that's about it.

She also started waking at around 2:30 am now, and i think like Spencer- it must be the teeth. I think she just has enough discomfort to wake her.

Do you all nurse at every night waking, or have you been able to get your babies back to sleep w/o nursing sometimes? I have't tried it any other way yet. The boob works, so we're stickin' to it!
#135 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

I had a long post and it just got lost.. :
ANyhow for us this is what I do.. When Spencer wakes up in the middle of the night I dont normally nurse him if its only been a few hours.. NOW if he has been Sleep for at least 5 hours and wakes I will nurse him .. But I try and let him go at least 5 hours.. He normally just falls back to sleep while holding my hand and he will take his paci then.. But lately he has been restless while sleeping.. Not really alseep nor is he awake .. I think it is his teeth. So I know hes not hungry by the way he acts and how fast he just falls back to sleep. He just wants to know I am there next to him and holding his hand and hes fast alseep again. This has worked for us so far!
#136 of 183 Old 08-24-2004, 10:47 PM

Miles usually takes 3 naps a day, about 45 minutes each. Once in a while he'll take a 1 1/2 - 2 hour nap. Every day is different. Some days he takes 4 naps. Some days he has a really hard time napping and I may take a car ride or walk for naptime. He usually only stays awake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.

I've wondered the same thing about nursing at night. Until the last week or so I would nurse him every time he woke up, even if it was 3 or 4 times. I have tried to not nurse him EVERY time he gets up lately, though. Sometimes I can tell he's really just not that hungry, he just wants comfort. My thinking used to be, if I was up, I might as well feed him. Now I think I really need to re-teach him to go longer at night without nursing. I wasn't sure how long I should shoot for, so thanks, Christy for your take on it. I know he had gas the last week and I think that was bothering him. Maybe he'll do better tonight. I do try to let him work it out before I go to him. I may let him fuss for a few minutes.

I have to say that he does surprise me a lot. Whenever I think he's stuck on something he goes and changes again. Or if I try something new or stop doing things exactly the same way, he surprises me with his flexibility. You just never know, Talia might be just fine with mom being there like Christy said.
#137 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM

Ha-try having 2 babies not napping or sleeping-yikes. Lately Amelie has been a really good sleeper, which makes up for the fact that she's really loud when she's awake. Seriously, she's following in her mamas radio path as loud as she is!

Isabella just doesn't sleep well, teething I know. I feel bad for her and me who can be very tired! I'm so exhausted at night that I just nurse them. They sleep with me and I'm too lazy to look at a clock and try and remember how long everyone's been asleep. Very rarely do they wake up at the same exact time, but one is always waking right after I finish the other wanting the boob. With dd I didn't try to stop any of her night nursing until she was over 1. First of all, night nursing helped keep me from getting Aunt Flo' for 17 months so I'm gonna night nurse all I can and secondly I always found it more of an effort to try and comfort her in other ways than nursing. At least I can stick the boobie in the mouth and pass back out. I have however had to give Bella her binky so that I can nurse Amelie, because she's so loud that I don't want her to wake everyone else up. It does get sticky with two, I tell ya.

I cracked up last night. Everyone was sleeping and we have a queen and full bed together. I sleep on the queen with the babes and dd sleeps next to me on the full and dh is on the other side of her. I looked at everyone passed out and just laughed thinking how weird we would look to anyone seeing us all sleep in all those beds...it was really sweet.
#138 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM

HELLLLLOOOOOOO!!!! I'm BAAAAACK! LIke I ever go anywhere! :

Adam has now rolled over both ways, he scoots along the floor, he thinks he can walk or somethin! He drools, laughs, "talks", eats his hand with frightening gusto, and is still on Zantac. He sleeps quite well at night, and I honestly can't tell you how many times he wakes up. I know he does, I feed him and go back to sleep.

We haven't vaxed yet and am still researching it. He loves the activity in the house and often, he looks like he's just going to get up and go on out there. I am nervously waiting for the day when he figures out that the legs go UNDER the butt to crawl and off he goes... My life as I know it will be over. *sigh*
He's weighing in at 14lbs 2 oz and is just chunky. We call him short and round. He's still blond and I'm not sure where that came from... probably the pool boy or somethin. I am currently stuck on Luke's Drawers for diapers and am dying to buy more and more... So much for my swearing to stay with prefolds....
#139 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hello!
Hope everyone is well.
Mum2lillie~ I could not even begin to imagin what it would be like to have TWo babies wanting your attention. It is hard with one baby and then the other two kids, who are older. I give you and Goodwillhunter all the praise in the world.
Jule924 if I can help in any way that makes me feel pretty nice. Spencer naps depends on the day really. Some days he naps really well a few hours a day others he will only cat nap 20 mins at a time , It just depends on his moods that day and how loud it in in the house. Since his older sister has been back at school its been alot more quiet in here so hes sleeping longer. I have found that he sleeps better at night when he gets at least a 20 min cat nap in about a hour or so before he goes to bed. That way he isnt over tired and will go to bed smoother. Everyone finds their own secerts that works for them and its nice to hear what others do so you have a idea of what to do if you plan fails once or twice.
Last night I was taking pictures Of Spencer as he was sitting up.. Is anyones else's baby sitting on thier own yet? SPencer cant pullhimself up to a sitting position yet but if you sit him up on the floor in one he will keep hisself sat up.. It is so cute and nice to be able to snap photos of him on his own rather then with someone holding him or in a bouncy seat or swing etc. Or laying down for that matter.
Hope everyone is well.
Lisa glad you could stop by So happy Adam is feeling better and moving right along.. How about my little man Hunter??? Whats that booger been up to?
#140 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 02:25 PM

Hi mamas how is everyone doing? I have a question for those who already have started solids how many times a day are you feeding solids. I have been giving Chloe her cereal in the morning and a fruit in the afternoon and a veggie at night. Chloes well check is tomorrow I will update you all on her stats have a great day.
Christina

#141 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

christina I give spencer his cereal in the morning and then on the days I give him baby foods he gets them in the afternoon or evening. I dont give baby food everyday but do a few times a week.. I do however try to give him his cereal everyday. Some days he doesnt get anything but the breast. Cant wait to hear her stats tomorrow..
#142 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 04:59 PM

christina, we do solids once or twice each day. Our dr suggested breakfast and dinner for her until she is 6 months old, and then breakfast, lunch and dinner at 6 mos. She didn't like eating solids at all in the am, so I changed her feedings to lunch (around 11:30) and dinner (anywhere between 5 and 7). She much prefers her solids at night and eats about 3X as much in the evening as any other time of day!
#143 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 PM

Ok so those of you who have already started solids, talk to me about the poop. Can you tell a difference?
#144 of 183 Old 08-25-2004, 10:15 PM

its a little more thicker then breastfed poop.

#145 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Ohhh Poop! Spencers poop was always very loose... Once we started cereal it got to a thick almost like Molassas texture. Then it started to get little flecks of what looked like formed poop.. THEN TODAY he had the most formed poo I had seen yet. He had little turds and I was going to come in here tonight and talk about his poo. He didnt strain to get it out or have trouble. But I can tell you that since he has been on cereals and baby foods that he poops every 2-3 days which is a big difference form the 7 times in a day..
#146 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 03:59 AM

Hi Mamas,
Been away from the computer for a few days. Hope that you and all your babies have been well!
Jaden is still BF only. I think I am the only one who hasn't done at least ceareal! He just doesn't seem ready to me, and I am in no rush. Not looking forward to that stinky poop either.
Well, it is late so I am off to bed. Just wanted to say Hi and Welcome to Julie924.
Love to all!
#147 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 09:51 AM

jennifer-
we are with you. none of my kids ever got solid food before 6 or 7 months. the same will hold true for this one.

does this sound like teething?- as you know we are still battling wc- just a residuale cough now but at night when he wakes up with a cough-he now screams and screams. during the day he is shoving anything into his mouth, drooling profusely, pulling his ear, oh yeah and screaming.........
this poor boy has been thru hell already, it hurts me sooo much to hear him so upset.

but there are happy times too!!!!- he loves to roll and chew on things and smile and chew on things and laugh at his siblings and chewe on things.........
gotta go
he awoke with a screaming cough
#148 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 09:57 AM

I usually get my son to nap about 4 times a day for about 1 hour each time. He is definitely sleepy after being awake 1.5 hours or so. In the morning, he goes down for the nap really easily - asleep within 3-4 minutes. In the afternoon, it takes a little longer - maybe 10 minutes. Lately, at night, it's been taking an hour or more to get him to bed for the night! It used to be about 10 minutes. I don't know what's happened. I'm thinking we need to start earlier. Maybe he's overtired? I don't know, but it's getting very frustrating.

At least he's slept in longer the past 2 mornings. For a while he had started getting up for the day at 4AM. Waaay to early. This morning, he woke up to eat about 4:45, went back to sleep for an hour, and was up and ready to go about 6:15. I can handle that.

We haven't started him on any solids. He's not 4 months for a few days yet. He's big - maybe 17 lbs? We go for the WBV on Monday. He doesn't seem interested in what we're eating, so I'm guessing he's not ready for baby food or cereal yet. He can sit up by himself and likes to sit in the booster seat and play with toys on the tray. I think we'll wait until he's closer to 5 or 6 months to start solids.

I can't believe how much they change each month! It's so amazing and fun to watch.

kris
#149 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ya know to be honest with ya all I think waiting to start is good! I planned on waiting to start any solids with Spencer until he was at least 6 months old. BUT when he became highly anemic I tried cereal because I knew it was loaded with iron.. Everything I was doing wasnt getting to him so I was desperate. Cant help his iron levels go up if I myself an anemic as well ya know. SO I seen Cereal as a good way to get him his iron.. It has worked. With his baby foods hes had Pears once.. Sweet potatos twice ( from the same jar) a few bites of green beans which he hated and some peas. Thats all he has had. I dont really worry about giving him that baby food .. Because he has the cereal and mama milk.. I dont worry to much about giving him the cereal when I did because it helped him and he took right to the spoon .. He was ready! Hes my little eater. BUt I wanted to wait to give it all to him .
Anyhow things are well here this morning.. Spencer is sitting in the middle of the floor and he is trying to get some of his toys. I have pillows behind him so if he decides to fall over . Hope everyone is well .. Talk to you mamas soon!
Maria I dont have any real advice for ya But please know I am thinking of you and your little one. I so hope he gets better soon.. Peace and love
#150 of 183 Old 08-26-2004, 12:45 PM

Chloe well check went great she is 13 pounds 3 ounces and 24 inches tall the doctor only wants me to give her rice cereal once a day. she wants me to wait on the baby food intil 6 months she wants Chloe to mainly have breastmilk. Chloe had her shots today and seems to be fine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page