equinox mamas & babes sept/oct 2003 august thread - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well... we are back. The good news, at least I'm not a flake, she was legitimately sick.

He said she's symptamatic of Coxsakie B(2) virus and she has aphthous ulcers. He says the only reason he's certain of the B(2) strain is because he's seen several children in the last month that showed the exact same symptoms and all of their cultures came back B(2). The bad news... it's a virus and will have to run it's course (which I guess in a sense.... it's not a bad thing... I don't have to pump any meds into her).

In the meantime, she can't have anything containing dairy. He said we need to do the BRAT diet until her soft stool clears up, and then I need to watch watch she eats to ensure it doesn't aggrevate her ulcers (they are on her palate).

He said that this virus is notorious for causing ear pain, head aches, sore throats, etc. so everything she is experiencing is "normal".

I hate that my baby is sick, but glad it's nothing too terribly serious (although reading on it, it can get down right ugly in extreme cases).

I'm off to go snuggle with her now.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 09:53 PM

Forgot to mention... my chunky monkey weighed in at 25lbs 2oz!!!

#303 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 10:12 PM

Icequeen - thank goodness you listened to your instinct and took her in. Did your doc say how long the virus takes to resolve? to your little girl!

Plum - I'm sorry you have to go through all that age and racist crap. People are so ridiculous. I think you mentioned your DH was in the military...is he going to get a new post soon? It's funny to hear everyone's experiences with the age-issue, for those of us who are young and old. I feel just right - I'll be 27 the day before Sophia is 1. But where I live, all the moms are late 30's-early 40s and I feel so young! But then I realize I'm waay closer to 30 than I am to 20!

Lately I have been STRESSED. I think it is a combination of factors - I took my final comp exam on Mon. It was a 4 hr beast of an exam, covering all my midwifery education. My graduation is obviously riding on the exam. And of course my lazya** faculty member hasn't corrected it yet, even though all my classmates took it in April. So I'm stressed about that and the reality that I need to find a job for when my loans come into repayment. I am so not ready for that. PLUS, DD has been SOOOO whiney lately. She is teething, working on her 4 incisors all at once, so I know she is in pain. But so am I! She nibbles on my nipples nonstop, tweaks the other nipple while she nurses and no matter how much I clip her nails, they seem to be razor sharp and she likes to use them. I have scratches everywhere. THis is the first time I've actually felt annoyed with nursing
Then I feel SO bad for getting irritated. It's been one of those week where I've thought " I can't possibly handle more children"

I can't wait for those teeth to pop through!
#304 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 10:31 PM

are the sores like canker sores? T had this once....we used a homeopathic remedy and it cleared it up right away...not dragging on..I had taken him to a dentist....not a ped..I wonder if that isn't what he had.....

Glad you trusted your instinct..God gave us that for a reason. Garlic would help fight the infection. Grapefruit seed extract is good too. Both are antivirals.
#305 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
are the sores like canker sores? T had this once....we used a homeopathic remedy and it cleared it up right away...not dragging on..I had taken him to a dentist....not a ped..I wonder if that isn't what he had.....

Glad you trusted your instinct..God gave us that for a reason. Garlic would help fight the infection. Grapefruit seed extract is good too. Both are antivirals.
I can't get a look at them (she won't let me see) but yes, he said they resemble canker sores. Could be the same???

She's started throwing up now She just hurled a huge amount of breastmilk mixed with banana. The ped said to keep her hydrated and use pedialite if I need to. When do you *need* to use pedialite?? I don't know if she needs to keep drinking water and then try to nurse again later, or if I should give her some pedialite now or?????

Can you tell I've never been down this road before?

#306 of 374 Old 08-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Karen - & ((((((((hugs)))))) to your babe.
Hope she's feeling better soon.
Viruses are such a pain but at least her little immune system will be stronger now - I know that's not much comfort with a sick babe.
I would do pedialyte of even some cooled chamomile tea.
Keep the babe hydrated.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#307 of 374 Old 08-27-2004, 12:56 AM

If she will nurse just keep on nursing her. That way she is getting the immunity benefits from you. Her saliva on your breast will cause you to make antibodies for her. She will receive those antibodies from the breastmilk. Virus' are no fun, but in the long term she is giving her immune system valuable experience to fend off other illnesses later on. It is so hard to watch them when they are sick Just keep her close and cuddle her lots. She will hopefully be on the mend soon

#308 of 374 Old 08-27-2004, 01:05 AM

Here is a link for remedy's for canker sores

http://www.truestarhealth.com/Notes/2206002.html

http://www.holistic-online.com/Remed...homeopathy.htm

http://www.abchomeopathy.com/listing/53001.html

we used merc-s for T's sores..but that remedy totally fits his whole person....not just the sores part.
#309 of 374 Old 08-27-2004, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

i'm sorry karen and emma. i hope you feel better soon!

FRM, that is so cool! i never knew that (about the saliva).

: i want another baby. i can't tell if we are TTC or not. we had this plan to wait until december but that doesn't seem to be happening.
#310 of 374 Old 08-27-2004, 09:23 AM

Love the baby pics! Such a sweetheart! *sigh* I love all baby pics. Ok, gotta go to work - sending healing vibes to Emma Grace!

Heidi
#311 of 374 Old 08-27-2004, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapenelope
, I hear ya, plum. I can't tell if we're TTC or not, either. I don't even have PP AF back!
mine are decently regular. there were 41 days before the second and third periods then 38 days between the third and fourth. i'm *thinking* the fifth should be next week, about 35 to 38 days. unless, you know, . we'll see, though.
#312 of 374 Old 08-28-2004, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak
Don't feel bad... I'll be 38 on the 10th of September. Us old women can hang out together :LOL
#313 of 374 Old 08-28-2004, 08:51 PM

Cool, what four teeth were they, Penelope?
#314 of 374 Old 08-28-2004, 09:16 PM

I ended up taking Jessie in for an check up even though she is supposed to have one in just about a month. I completely missed her 6 month appointment, so she was almost 8 months when I took her in so they wanted to see her at 11 months. Anyway, she was 18 lbs, 14 ozs, so not quite 19 lbs. She was 30.25" although I get 30.5" at home. Still pretty long either way. Her head was 48 cm but then the doctor came back and measured it himself because he thought it was too big, and he got 47 cm. That seems about right.
#315 of 374 Old 08-28-2004, 10:09 PM

i need to take izzy to the pediatrician--she hasn't been since 4 months. i feel anxious about both taking her and not taking her. we were so on schedule with my son. but now that we're putting off vax and everything, it seems weird to me to take her to a stranger to make sure she's doing ok. i've had 2 docs in the past try to tell me that both of my children were failure to thrive, that my son needed to be seen by early intervention, etc, when i knew positively that they were fine and they always found out and admitted that i was right...so anyway, i'm not sure when to take her in. i don't want it to look like i'm neglecting her, but i'm monitoring her at home...

penelope, poor magnus! 4 teeth at once--what a trooper!

i'm so glad to hear that i'm not the only one with the urge for another pregnancy. well, another baby anyway. we're not going to now, but for us we had decided that 2 is IT, and now i'm not so sure. we have time to decide, i guess. dh wants only 2, but i love the idea of having a big family...
#316 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 12:57 AM

OK - I am 43 ! am I the oldest?

Yes, we want another baby.

We also do not vax & do not see doing that anytime soon. The more I research the more ill I am of what is really going on with pHARMa co's. It explains much of why I feel like I do.
I just a got a "get your babe a flu vax now" card in the mail :

Mamaley, do you have a vax exemption? I gave my Ped a religious one.

Colin is 29.5 in long & very strong 21 lbs. He's so solid.

Icequeen, how's your babe? ((((hugs))) to her!

G'smom - I don't like pumping either but am also hesitant on cow's milk mainly b/c I don't drink it & not fond of the dairy industry. I wonder if they can have a little rice or almond milk?

MamaP - 4 teeth - holy moley ! no wonder he felt crappy - awwww - don't be too tough on yourself

Colin was born 08/22/03 10:40 am - his orig edd was 09/21/03. He was born 4.5 wks early due to PIH & my b/p was not controlable with meds. He weighed 6 lbs 02 oz & had he stayed in, he would have easily been 8+ lbs.
I went to the hospital for x-treme pain in my upper abdomen. My bp was 220/118 with IV meds. Within 1 hr, it was decided to take him.
I thought my head was gonna explode my b/p was so high
He was born via Emerg. C-sect. I was so huge & swolen from pre-E it took the Anes. Dr 4 tries to get the spinal in - OUCH.
He was born with no med problems & I tried to nurse him within a few hrs. It was truly a blessing.

Now on to the b-day boy. We had a "Sesame Street" party at a little Italian/Sub restaurant 2 doors down from us.
We had about 28 people there. Colin was teething & missed a few power naps so it was not his best but he was just fine.
DH's cousin made the cake - her cakes are so 'nummy.
We had pizza, salad, beer, tea & soda. THey had a big screen TV so we also has the Olympics on & it was not a distraction. Sound was kept low. It lasted about 3.5 hrs which was plenty of time.

Decorated room

Cake

Looking at the candle

Gift opening

Here are some other recent photos:

Colin & K9 Duke

Colin (close up)

I will post more pics later.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#317 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:29 AM

Collin is such a sweetie Polka What a party!! It will be a great memory for the whole family to look back on.

Deshi seems to be having lots of food issues all of a sudden. He is reacting to dairy and rice and who knows what else. He has eczema all over his face It is getting better now that we have restricted him to just fruits and veggies. He has never had a reaction so far, so I don't get why it is all happening now. Oh well, at least he is my 2nd allergic kid so I am familliar with it all.

He has NEVER been to the doctor. We had an unassisted birth, so he never saw anyone then. We don't vax or do well baby checks and he has never had more than a mild illness. His doctor (or who will be his doctor if he should need one) has only met him from the safety of my sling when I took ds1 in :LOL. She was pretty surprised when I showed up one day with another child :LOL.

We tend to do most of our own health care though and only ever go in if it is something that cannot be handled at home (like when dh broke his leg or when ds1 had a lung infection). We rarely go in for illnesses as generally there is little they can do anyway. Of course Deshi is our 2nd, so we have been through viruses, infections, allergies, injuries and a near fatal reaction to penicillin. Not much worries us at this point :LOL With these 2 rowdy boys I imagine we will be much more likely to end up in the ER than the docs office :LOL

Today is the first day in over a week that I have been somewhat able to function. This pregnancy has been kicking my .....uh.....butt. Between the severe nausea, crippling exhaustion and the intense abdominal acheyness I have just been barely functioning. My poor boys have been so patient through it all! I am hoping today wasn't just a fluke and I will be doing a little better from now on. Deshi is sleeping at night again, so that should help.

I am secretly hoping a few of you end up pregnant soon (MamaP, plum, are you listening :LOL) I would love to go through another pregnancy with you all

#318 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:32 AM

Yeah I thought there must be something wrong since no one was posting and I couldn't get on.....

Last night was the concert. it was great. took us over an hour to get out of the parking lot though....eek..poor josie was pretty hungry when I got home. but she was also alseep on daddy....he did pretty well. first time she has been left over 2 hrs. total I was gone almost 6. she did fall down the stairs and bloodied her nose... :-( but not bruises.

She broke in another tooth. She now has 4. oops..poop diaper...ttyl

Happy late birthday Colin!!!!!
#319 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama

I am secretly hoping a few of you end up pregnant soon (MamaP, plum, are you listening :LOL) I would love to go through another pregnancy with you all

http://min.midco.net/scout_james/other/test.jpg

:ignore shhhh! i just found out a few hours ago!
#320 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:39 AM

Uh.....that's not for Plum. She....uh....has nothing to celebrate. See, I can keep a secret

#321 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:40 AM

OMG plum!!!!! how exciting......hehe
#322 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:42 AM

FRM....we are posting at the same time...twice....hehe
#323 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:50 AM

plum!!! that's so exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!

:
#324 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

oh, he knows. i was shocked at first but he was really excited. i've been feeling like this for almost a month now. the first two tests i took were negative but i took them right away. this time, it turned bright purple before its minute was up. i wanted to wait until next week but i couldn't.
#325 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 09:50 AM

: Congratulations, Plum!
#326 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 10:00 AM

How exciting plum!!!

i'm a little jealous of you ladies...i'm definitely not ready for another baby but i being pregnant. ah well, i can live through you i guess!
#327 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 01:41 PM

Congratulations, Plum!

Are you nursing? Give us all the details !

I'm so happy & jealous too.

I want to be PG too!

FRM - We don't see a Dr alot either ( Dh's x-monster ran & runs his other kids to the Dr if they sneeze).

Colin had an enlarged L-Kidney that was found in utero. I only did 1 of the 3 tests that "they" suggested. We do follow-up U/S's about every 8 mos or so.

well, am I the oldest here?

here's another PHOTO of the boy & his TP fun.

#328 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

the girlie is still almost exclusively nursing. yesterday, in the span of about an hour, she ate 1 fry and drank about an ounce of water.

i'm still kinda reeling over the whole thing. i'm excited about another pregnancy and birth and baby, but i'm feeling guilty about scout, too, cause she's still a baby.

she's been nursing even more the past few weeks. it seems like during the day, she crawls up and tugs on my shirt every half hour or so. i don't know if it's a supply thing because she also still has a cold and she cut another tooth plus she seems like she got bigger again.

lots to think about. thanks for the congratulations ! i'm happy. i think maybe it's at about four weeks?
#329 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 02:11 PM

so does that make you due in may or june?
#330 of 374 Old 08-29-2004, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

early may, maybe? i knew all my dates with scout. i knew when i ovulated and the night we conceived. this time... not a clue.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page