equinox mamas & babes sept/oct 2003 august thread - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 374 Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, Jen (griffin's mom)! Yeah, Dante's drawing with just about anything... We like the color wonder markers b/c of the bright colors and swirly effects, but he uses crayons too (we put paper on our walls - post-it sells rolls of paper, which is convenient. we just roll it out onto our walls). We started the whole drawing thing when he grabbed our pencil and scribbled on the paper we were writing on. Now, he grabs whatever is in our hands (pen/pencil) and tries to write on any paper he finds. We try to redirect him towards his own paper and pens/crayons, but it doesn't always work. *laugh*
I totally understand about the drums/tambourines/noise AND nursing your belly button. Dante does that too! He blows raspberries into my (soft) belly - um, he's the only person on the planet I would allow to do that! He laughs so hard, I can't forbid it, even though it sort of accentuates my flabbiness. Alas.

Love hearing about all your babes (and seeing them too!)

Heidi
#242 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 02:18 AM

Yeah, mamap, I totally know what you mean - it's hard for me to remember to try and TALK to dante, and help him do stuff (like draw, or whatever), or even read to him (oops). Warning about the markers - unless it's the Color Wonder, it will make everything (including Magnus) colorful too... especially his little mouth! The Color wonder stuff is weird - it only draws on special paper - a little pricey... hence why we use crayons as well. The color wonder markers taste NASTY, so he doesn't eat those too much, and they don't mark him or his clothes up. The crayons taste okay, and so he ends up pretty colorful (and so do I, as he draws on my clothes a lot) when he uses them, but I try to make sure all his crayons are "washable" (so say the boxes).

Ok, I should go to sleep, because I have to be up in 4 hours - eek! I just miss reading about y'all and your younguns.

Heidi
#243 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 02:52 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I love my little happy nut. This is such a cute age. Normally Jessie moves by army crawling, or by standing on the furniture and walking around. She almost never crawls on hands and knees or hands and feet unless she has to. Today, for some reason, she started crawling on hands and knees a lot. At one point she was coming to me that way, but then it wasn't fast enough for her yet, so she she dropped back to her normal mode of transportation.

We were downstairs watching a movie and I thought she'd go to sleep, but after nursing some she was rarin' to go. She stood up against the couch and was growling at us. Then we laughed and she gave a big laugh. She crawled all around playing with toys and Molly was upstairs so Jessie got free reign. Molly hates when Jessie tries to play with her toys. The other day Molly was playing dollhouse and Jessie crawled over to play. Molly kept getting upset and moved her away a few times. I heard this pouty, "Oh no, I don't need a giant baby monster to come and wreck everything!" I tried to encourage her to pretend that Jessie was Godzilla or something, but she wouldn't go for it.

Anyway, Jessie is about over her cold, so she was in a much better mood than she has been in awhile!
#244 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 03:43 PM

Happy belated birthday to your ds Polka123!! He is our first 1 year old. Who is next? Deshi and Micah are on the 8th, is anyone before that? I can't believe they are so OLD already!

MamaP I envy your serger. I am still a beginning sewer, but I don't have a machine that works very well so I have to borrow one when I have some sewing to do. I need to learn how to make better diapers, I was making prefolds out of old t-shirts, but they are just too bulky. I was thinking about trying to make some fitteds, but I think that is somewhat beyond my limited abilities :LOL If anyone onlist sells inexpensive dipes LMK I might just buy the darned things if I can get some money together!

Deshi has got SUCH a sense of humor. He enjoys going for walks down the block and is so proud of himself when he can bend down to pick up a treasured item. Usually he finds himself a small stick with some leaves still attached, then he stumbles down the sidewalk waving his leaf "flag". He also has some slippers with rattles in them that he outgrew. He holds them up and grunts to let us know that he wants them on his hands, then he walks around the room shaking them and making them "talk". He finds this very amusing and it keeps him laughing for a long time. He is just obsessed with puppets and dinosaurs!

I have really loved looking at all the pictures!! I need to post some one of these days. I have been so busy preparing for a talk I am giving on natural cleaning and personal hygene that I have had little spare time for much else! Hopefully I can get fully caught up again soon

#245 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamapenelope
Last night was rough on magnus for some reason...He just could NOT seem to go to sleep for longer than 15 minutes or so. I'm hoping he'll take a good nap today. love, p
He was missing Emma : Actually she did the same thing last night. Perhaps all of that babbling they were doing was a secret sleep conspiracy against us.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#246 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak
He was missing Emma : Actually she did the same thing last night. Perhaps all of that babbling they were doing was a secret sleep conspiracy against us.
How did they manage to tell Griffin? He hasn't been sleeping well since last Thursday but last night was by far the worst. He would only sleep if he was lying on my chest or nursing. Otherwise he screamed bloody murder ( T - is "screaming bloody murder" an expression you guys know or is it one my mother made up? Discovering some of her expressions aren't known outside of our family...)

I was worried he was getting sick again but I worked today and daycare said he had a really good day so maybe not... still no teeth and no sign of any either. Maybe just a stage...
#247 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GriffinsMom
How did they manage to tell Griffin? He hasn't been sleeping well since last Thursday but last night was by far the worst. He would only sleep if he was lying on my chest or nursing. Otherwise he screamed bloody murder ( T - is "screaming bloody murder" an expression you guys know or is it one my mother made up? Discovering some of her expressions aren't known outside of our family...)

I was worried he was getting sick again but I worked today and daycare said he had a really good day so maybe not... still no teeth and no sign of any either. Maybe just a stage...
: Nope... screaming bloody murder isn't a family secret... my mom used that one too!

I suspect that perhaps the kids are sending out the emails again..... maybe Emma and Magnus conspired together to email the rest of the group

#248 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 09:07 PM

Sorry Josie missed that email again....but perhaps she will get it later....we had a few nights last week that were pretty icky...teething I suspect....

Here is my vent for the day...
Last week my sis had her CNM app. The CNM asked if she wanted an epidural...she stated that wasn't sure yet...grrr..and the CNM said...you know...no one hands out certificates for going naturally.......I was like what the hell......(sorry p*ssed me off)... I had three natural drug free births and was totally empowered by it and consider myself blessed because if it..grrrr....ok am done growling now...hehe...

On a good note...she had her baby shower yesterday and got everything she needed minus the crib! serious...her friends at work bought her tons of diapers, pak-n-play, carseat/stroller, smaller stroller, bouncy chairs, 2 monitors, onzies, pacifiers, bottles......you name it they bought it...she was so blessed...i have never seen anything like it from friends...especially friends from work.....(no cloth diapers accpet those you would use for spit rags)...lol She wouldn't use them. It was great! I think her boyfriend felt a little funny because he hasn't contributed at all....
#249 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 09:23 PM

I understand your frustration with the midwifes statement, but I can also understand why she said it (because my midwife said something similar before I was transferred to an OB). When we had discussions about it, she told me that there was no shame in requesting and epidural if I needed one. I think some women really want a natural childbirth, but then have people (more mainstream family & friends) talk them into pain relief in the heat of the moment and they accept, not realizing the benefit of truly birthing without intervention.

If I could turn back the clocks, I'd beg for an unassisted, un medicated, un induced, un surgical, natural child birth (well.. I would have had to grow a different body to make it possible.... but I can dream right??) I still cope with the fact that Emma's birth was so much different than what I wanted... but the end result made up for that

#250 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 10:05 PM

We (ok, in all fairness I) did hypnobirthing with Griffin. I really wanted the natural childbirth, mostly b/c I have a serious phobia of needles. Anyway, anyone and everyone who had an epidural during their labor told me, "trust me, you'll change your mind" or "they don't give out medals..." Its one of my biggest pet peeves. I had a 2-hour (from start to finish!), drug-free labor and was happy to tell everyone who asked that I DID NOT change my mind and request an epidural. Most of them still act like I'm insane or a roaring hippie Some people are so closed minded about natural childbirth and how empowering it can be.

That said, I think if you want an epidural, you should have one. Nothing I detest more than a natural laborer who didn't want natural labor going around saying, "OMG, it hurts SO BAD... you HAVE to get the epidural if you can." My secretary loves to tell this to any pregnant woman who will listen but then if you question her she'll admit they gave her twilight or something and she was out for most of it. :
#251 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:05 PM

I know some women need it...it just irks me...especially from a midwife. It seems to me like they should be advocating a natural childbirth..that is what makes them different then dr.s.

since everyone has been talking about birthday's I thought I would post a few pics of cakes I have done for my kids.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...astheTrain.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...aycake3sm1.jpg

I have a few more..but they are on floppy and I have to go to the old puter and burn them onto disk...new puter doesn't have a floppy drive..grrr..I hope I can figure this out...lol

here is one more....still working on my favorite pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...CAKE7-12-3.jpg

Last one...first cake I did...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...TiggerCake.jpg
#252 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:26 PM

wow - how the heck do you put the picture in your posts like that? Anyway, love reading about all the kids. Dante's birthday is on the 3rd. We're having a party, mostly for ourselves, to celebrate surviving a year. Any excuse to have friends over is fun for us - forces us to clean up the place.

Dante took his first real steps today! 5 whole ones all on his own! Of course, he also fell into a sharp edge of a cabinet, and onto a sharp edge of a bookshelf. I gave him arnica, but there are still red lines on his face. *sniff* Should I put soft bumpers on everything? Keep him away from all edges? How do I do that? Not let him explore? eeep...

Post pictures, mamas! I love to see your babies. I'm a baby-picture-a-holic. :

Heidi
#253 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:42 PM

Go study, Jen! No, seriously, I don't think it's too young. Sounds like night terrors to me. Poor little guy. He might also miss you, when he wakes? Dante just started really freaking out if he wakes up and I'm not there - separation anxiety peaks around now, supposedly...

Good luck, mama! Give Griffin lots o' hugs.

Heidi
#254 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:45 PM

My ds1 did that on and off from 8 months to 3 years. Often the only thing that would calm him enough to go back to sleep was a long walk (which was great fun a 2am and -40C weather). We learned to sleep in our clothes so we could just stumble out the door with little hassle. Turns out it was allergy related. Once we cut out all the things he was allergic to he started sleeping all night (yay). It has been about 8 months since he woke up screaming in the night!!

I don't know if that is what is going on with Griffin, but just something to consider

#255 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 PM

Thanks for the go study. Love my job, hate the exams... I could quit taking them if I just start passing them though. There's the rub... Ugh.

We've had seperation anxiety issues before. He is a real mommas boy and always has been. Its never been this bad before though. I really think this might be nightmares - he does it even in our bed while I'm right next to him. I hope he outgrows it soon or it gets better. Watching him scream like this is killing me - I could never be a CIO-er.

OK, I really am off to study... G will probably be up again soon and then I'll wish I'd gotten more done.
#256 of 374 Old 08-23-2004, 11:48 PM

MamaP I changed my sig just for you :LOL

Now I just have to scan some pics or put batteries in the digital........maybe tomorrow.

#257 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 12:02 AM

three - three? new teeth *today*! out of the blue. no warning til the crying started and there they were. All she's had up to now is the 2 bottom middle teeth and one "canine" - cute, but a little strange looking. maybe she'll have teeth to eat her birthday cake with!

no sleep here either, and she's biting me when I get to close to her mouth. ouch! at least she doesn't bite while nursing...
#258 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 02:32 AM

Yeah just kills me mamap. grrr....if we have any more babies..I want one at home..unassisted would be nice but I am not sure I am that brave and I know dh wouldn't allow it..but then again..mine come so fast...hehe....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...kids8-15-4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...URE_164_sm.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...URE_162_sm.jpg
#259 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 04:35 AM

OK, I have some new photos. Summer 2004. You can click on the slideshow option, then just click through them.
#260 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 12:40 PM

Nice photos amy!! too cute!!
#261 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

could scout have an ear infection? her nose is pretty runny and crusty and she's been pulling her ears a lot. i thought it was just the teething (she got tooth number 10) but the tooth is through and she still seems upset (at night). she woke up last night around 4:30 and wouldn't go back to sleep. she kept sitting up and crying and i was trying to get her lay back down. she was up on and off until 6 this morning and she didn't wake up until 10:30 this morning.

ooh cobluegirl and amywillo, cute new pictures! and happy belated birthday to polka's ds.
#262 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 01:55 PM

duplicate post
#263 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM

plum that could be an ear infection. ds used to get them when he teethed. Get some mullien oil ear drops and start putting them in her ears and give her some acidophilus. that should help it lots. if it isn't one...won't hurt anything. I have tons of info on ear infections and how to treat naturally without the anti-biotics. A Chiropractor can do wonders too. see ad to the right of messages
#264 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, Amy! What a doll! I love the "rainy evening" picture, and the one of her sticking her fingers in the water. (It gave me chills at first, but of course you were right there!)

That was my "I just read the Continuum Concept, let's see if there is any merit to this" pic. But my nieces were in the pool not too far away. Molly kept shreiking like a banshee, though, so that made me pick Jessie up pretty quickly.
#265 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 08:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but you all are busy posters! I'm lucky if I get to post once or twice a week...I do enjoy reading the posts here.

All of your babies are just adorable. We just moved and everything is out of whack, including the digital camera/computer connection. Somehow the camera software got unistalled off of our computer, so I can't upload any recent pictures. I will as soon as I find the box the software is in.

I can't believe how fast these babies grow up! My girls have a new trick every day, it seems. Yesterday they learned how fun it is for mommie to chase them down the hallway. And one of my girls just started saying "tikku tikku tikku tikku." It's too cute.

I do have one question....one of my girls sits & rocks. She'll be holding a toy or a book and just start rocking back & forth, back & forth. It kind of scares us. :-/ Is this normal for an 11 month old? Her sister doesn't do it. We're a little freaked out by it, to be honest. Though they are identical, so if something is wrong with one then chances are it'll be wrong with the other and her sister doesn't do it at all...Does anyone else have experience with this??

Thanks, I'll go back to : -ing now.
#266 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

we ended up getting scheduled for an appt downtown (normally we go on base). man, we're never going there again! it was awful. the nurse called her 'scott', pointed at dh and asked 'so is this the father?' :, then she couldn't remember scout's name AGAIN , she reeked like cigarettes and the doctor told us we were 'incredibly stupid' for not vaxxing her further!

i am so sick of this ageist, racist crap! the only reason they question who the parents are is because we're young and i'm indian. if i were white, they'd never say anything like that. when i delivered there, they did the same things! they wanted proof of paternity till my mom pointed out 'you know, they're married.'

and she doesn't even have an ear infection! it's just a cold with teething.
#267 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 09:33 PM

plum i've experienced that ageist crap too. it sucks. your post made me angry.

just want to be a voice who says the opposite--that you're NOT making a stupid decision--that you are smart parents who want the best for your child and who know what is best for your child.
#268 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 09:56 PM

Quote:
APRIL! I'm fascinated by your one-page-per-night book! What is it? Is it good? How can you not drag it back to bed to read more? Tell me, tell me! love, p
LOL! It's actually called "A Woman of Substance" by Barbara Taylor Bradford... I don't bring it back to bed with me cause my husband won't let me read in bed (the light). Sad, huh? In my pre-marriage, pre-baby life, I would have read the entire book in about half a day... a lifetime ago now... LOL
#269 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 10:24 PM

plum - so sorry to hear about your experience! At least Scott (er, Scout - just kidding!) doesn't have an ear infection! They would have really pushed the antibiotics and that is a slippery slope you don't want to head down. Trust me...

We have solved the mystery of Griffin's screaming at night. His reflux is back. Yup, BACK. We had many months of reflux and I did the biggest happy dance when it went away : but it is back due to the antibiotic we had him on.

It apparently was very hard on his stomach and so his reflux symptoms have returned. The reflux SHOULD go away again soon. We aren't putting him back on prevacid or anything like that but he did get some Mylanta Supreme before he went to bed and he is sleeping soundly without wimpering for the first time since Thursday. Ped. said it shouldn't take long to go away this time - here's hoping...
#270 of 374 Old 08-24-2004, 10:28 PM

Organique Gal - I don't want to cause you marital strife but can I make a gentle suggestion? Read in bed with the light on if it makes you happy - it is your bedroom too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page