My mom thinks my baby is "too quiet" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-06-2004, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been around very many babies, so I have no idea how noisy the average baby is. My parents babysat dd (6 mos old) for about 7 hrs yesterday and today my mom stopped by to say she thinks dd may have a hearing problem. She said she doesn't respond to noises unless they are very high pitched or low pitched. And she said she is too quiet. She laughs and giggles around DH and I. She will sit and blow bubbles and make little noises to herself. And of course she will occasionally cry. She seems fine to me. She also startles at loud noises, like when someone blows there nose or the dog barks. I think part of the problem might be that my parents call her Alyssa and we rarely call her that, we use nicknames. So maybe that is why she doesn't respond. She is quiet around others, but Dh and I are pretty quiet people also. So how noisy should she be? Should I have her hearing checked? It was tested at birth and she was fine. How do they even test a babies hearing. Thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 08-06-2004, 06:49 PM

Our DD is a bit the same .. she's VERY, VERY quiet around people she doesn't see every day (Although oddly, we went out for lunch today and she was babbling a blue-streak at the elderly man across the aisle)
Loud noises normally startle her, although she's gotten used to the lawnmower, or if the dogs start barking when someone knocks on the door.

But .. she does not EVER answer to her name. She'll answer to Princess, Peanut, Pooper, Shmoopy, and Peep, but NEVER Erica. *lol - she loves the sound of the letter P*

I think baby hearing tests are a bit overrated .. Our DD was tested and we were told she was deaf at birth. *boggle, she hears just fine now, although she's getting selective hearing, just like her older sibs*
#3 of 4 Old 08-07-2004, 08:58 AM

She sounds much like my baby at that age. Now she's 9mo and starting to really babble, squeal, and respond to her name. But at 6mo, esp around other people, she was really quiet and reserved. If you are really concerned it wouldn't be bad to mention it at her well baby visit (if you do those), but I think she sounds pretty normal to me.

Come to think of it, my fil always said my dd had a hearing problem when she was a newborn. It was awful because then he'd constantly be clapping his hands and making noise to startle her to 'check'.

flowersforyou.gif

#4 of 4 Old 08-07-2004, 10:49 AM

She could have been having a quiet day. Usually Ben is a noisy little bugger, but somedays he's quiet and laid back. I know I have days like that, so it would make sense that babies do to. At 6 months, he wasn't "talking" much yet. He also has an incredible amount of concentration. If something really has his interest, like when we go walking in the park, he completely ignores me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page