Stay at home Moms - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
To all the stay at home moms...
I wonder, do you ever get lonely? Not that your babe doesn't keep you company, it's about adult conversation. Most of the mamas I know all work. What to do when all your friends work and you're at home? Any ideas?
#2 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 12:51 PM

Yes! Sometimes I go crazy. Not that I don't love being able to stay home with my 'lil man, but he doesn't exactly previde stimulating conversation. Plus I used to be one of those always on the go, home is just for sleep and showers, types. Now that he's older, I'm trying to look for a mother's group to meet with. So far no luck close by though, and I really don't want to drive an hour or more.
#3 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 01:16 PM

I love being home with my son, Benjamin, but I often get pretty lonely, too. No AP mamas in my area, too far to drive to get to a group. So I've been pouring myself into my work (in fact I've got about 5 projects in the works right now. There's nothing else to do during Benjamin's naps!). My mom's been visiting for the last two weeks, but she's leaving tomorrow. So now I'm going through the rest of the relatives to see who can come next!
#4 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 01:17 PM

I have Le Leche League mtgs twice a month, an Attachment Parentng International mtg once a month, plus a few playgroups started from those meetings...after the LLL mtgs, some moms usually go to lunch together....it does add up so that I usually can count on at least one outing a week.

Both LLL and API have websites that you can search for a local mtg on. If there isnt one yet, you could try to start one, too
#5 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Nicole,
I have a moms group that meets every other Wed. and this Wed. was canceled. I get so excited looking forward to these groups. It would be so nice to meet at least every other week. I too used to always be on the go. I try to get out whenever I can but we only have 1 car and it's not a whole lot of fun catching the bus with a baby. (But I do it all the time to get out of the house )
Congratulations and good luck with the little one.
#6 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nancy for the ideas. I didn't even know about the AP mtgs. I hope I can find something here in the city.

Kelly, that's a great idea. I just got married Sat. and there were people here for a week. Now it's quiet and my dd is sleep. Who can I ask to come now and help me clean up? (I am also too far from the mountains )
#7 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 02:19 PM

yes, I get lonely alot. I am not the most social person and it takes me a long time to make good friends. Luckily, DD has brought me out of my shell alot but it still isn't enough. We have a great AP group here but we never seem to be able to go. Our like isn't very well scheduled and it seems like things come up, DD is cranky or decides to take a nap on the day we're supposed to go. I'm hoping that changes as we get older. We go to LLL but that is only once a month. Another great place to try is the library - we have tons of programs, including a song and activity time for infants. One thing I find frustrating is that my area has all sorts of great classes, music, play, etc but they are so dang expensive! Especially because so much of it is really just formal play time. I tried our MOMS club but just didn't feel like I meshed with people. I'm still hoping a few really good friends will pop up eventually. Until then, I have my MDC mammas!
#8 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 02:33 PM

sometimes. but I have made a lot of good friends and we also have about 3 playgroups per week. (gymboree play and arts, dancing and swimming) and then my playgroups with my own friends. about once a week as well... so we're busy! I also go to a gym and dh stays with the kids about an hour a day.. so that helps..
#9 of 9 Old 08-18-2004, 02:40 PM

No. I know lots of other moms in my area. Do you know about www.matchingmoms.org? I also go to LLL, nature activities run by the County, local parks, storytimes at book shops - always meet other moms there. Having a baby is like having a dog - everyone talks to you I like my area though - it does have a high concentration of children and child care is so expensive that there are lots of SAHMs.

I think if I moved to an area where there weren't so many child centered activities on, I'd get lonely pretty quickly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page