starting solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-26-2004, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that there are cues...pincher grasp...interest in foods etc... Just curious, when did your babe start solids, how did you decide it was time and what did you give them? DS began at five months because he was grabbing all that he could! We started with banana and sweet potato and I think avacado. DD is getting to that age and I need new ideas and support. DS didn't nurse so I was also eager to start him, so I'm wondering how long to wait this time.
#2 of 4 Old 08-27-2004, 10:27 AM

With my first it was right around 6 months. I remember going out to dinner w/ dh and ds for fathers day and ds kept grabbing at our plates, crying for our food, etc. A few days later I gave him rice cereal, a few weeks later pureed yams...

Now with my second baby, who has always been a big baby w/ a hearty appetite (born weighing over 11 lbs), it was just before he turned 5 months... he was already pretty much able to sit up, and he would grab at our food and make hand to mouth gestures... then he'd cry, and get frantic every time we ate, even if he'd just nursed... so I started him on mashed avocado. He loved it!! Around 5.5 months I gave him some rice cereal. He likes it okay. He doesn't cry or get frantic when we eat now... and he seems more satisfied.
I'm going to introduce applesauce next week. I believe in waiting at least 3 weeks between each new food.
#3 of 4 Old 08-27-2004, 10:35 AM

Mine is 9 months and just recently started to really be interested in eating. She started showing interest in our food at around 6 months, but she didn't eat much so I stuck mostly with the breast. She will not eat pureed food, it has to be "real" food smashed up - I guess she likes the texture better. I've given her avacado, sweet potato, green beans, oatmeal (baby cereal) - she eats just about everything now but those are what I started with.
#4 of 4 Old 08-28-2004, 07:46 PM

hey elisabeth!
i'm going to link you to some LLL articles on solids... have you discussed this topic with any of selkie's therapists? they might have some more insight for you too...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page