Jan/Feb '04 mamas.. september thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-05-2004, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
is anyone else shocked by how time is flying? my baby will be actually WALKING in 6 months! I can't believe he'll be a toddler in 6 months.. it just sounds so surreal.

Well, we are doing fine. Vicente had this 6 month check-up last week, he's weighing 24 lbs and measuring 30 inches. we had to sign that "I refuse to vax my child" form, I gotta tell ya, doctors have to find a way to make you feel bad! (the form actually says something like "the AAP and pretty much everyone else in the world recommends something you are going against, therefore go burn in hell") :LOL

no, but you know what I mean. I don't regret my decision, though, so that's ok. I feel at peace with my own self.

Anyway, I really like this new doctor. He is great. we left our ex-ped because he's just, well, weird. he was forcing us to vax, he circumcises (we, ofcourse, did not, but just the fact that he does makes me feel weird) and he owns a sleep clinic, he teaches parents to CIO! can you believe that? he was actually taught by DR FERBER HIMSELF! (and he even said that with pride, blech) so, he's out the window. We found this new ped that I love. he's so AP, his kids are intact and he's ok with me not vaxing for the moment. I feel much more comfortable now.

Vicente is nursing a lot! he's not into solids at all, so we stopped them. I tried to see if he liked them, and he did, but since my ped and I agree that he doesn't actually *need* them until 12 months, we just have it as an extra, sometimes we give him something when we're at the table, but nothing more.

and that's about it for now, ladies! can't wait to hear how your babes are doing!

hugs,
Carmen
#2 of 24 Old 09-06-2004, 10:42 AM

They're growing by leaps and bounds! I just looked at Aidan the other day and realized that he doesn't look so much like a baby anymore, he DOES look like a toddler! Where has the time gone?

We're nursing colds here, Aidan didn't want to eat too much yesterday (I think with the stuffy nose he didn't want to suck), but he tried some noodles for the first time and gobbled them down.

Walking in 6 months? Aidan's started to pull himself up, a friend gave him 2 weeks tops. My older DS was walking at 8 months, so that's just a month away. *gasp*
#3 of 24 Old 09-06-2004, 11:03 AM

Hi all,
My girls were 8 months old yesterday! I know what you mean by time flying. They are sooo mobile and are pulling up and even crawling with their bums way up in the air (so their legs are straight!!) Yikes!!

I don't know how much they weight but I'm guessing 19ish lbs for Ella and 18ish for Sadie. They're growing so well! They love food - it's kind of crazy actually how much they enjoy eating. We've skipped baby food and just feed them things they can self feed as that's what they like. Right now, they're big into avocadoes (Ella) and bananas (Sadie). What a laundry mess, though! Anyone know a good way to get bananas out of clothes?!?

Sadie and Ella still nap in the slings and bedtime is getting better. We usually have all 3 girls asleep and in bed 3 nights out 5...
#4 of 24 Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 AM

Hi! Nitara is starting to lose that baby look, too. She's so alert and I can see the little cogs moving in her brain when she's trying to figure something out. lol!

Well Nitara had surgery on Friday to get her g-button and she's doing so well. I'm so glad I went through with it! She is feeling better already, and no more tubes down her nose. When I'm done feeding her I just pop the tube off and there's a rubber button on her tummy. My only challenge is I have to be very careful with her cloth dipes because they have a higher rise than sposies. The cloth ones tend to start pushing on the bottom of her button, which is very tender right now.

Nitara had an OT eval last week that showed she has sensory issues related to her feeding/GERD/NG tube placement. She doesn't like to be touched from forehead down to navel, and then insides of both arms. So a lot of times she'll take a toy and wave it around to the side of her rather than holding it in front to examine and play with. She is also resistant to crawling for that reason. I'll put her on her tummy and she'll do a very high push up, fuss, and then roll over. Doesn't want her face/chest/arms touching the floor. But her long-term prognosis is good, and she'll get over all of this with OT. I'm not worried about it. She pulled herself to a standing position off the side of the crib at the hospital twice!

The funniest was the day of the surgery, I got a schedule of what to feed her and when. After not eating/drinking by mouth *at all* for over a week, she drank 4 oz. formula, ate 2 oz. bananas off a spoon (which for her is huge), and then drank 7 oz. of Pedialyte!

She's starting to babble finally! Started doing it big time in the hospital after that horrible nose tube was removed. Lots of bababa and mamama. Music to my ears!

So things are looking up and as always she's a real sweetheart. Her inner strength amazes me, and her ability to smile even through her pain warms my heart. Hopefully after her button site heals there will be no more pain in her life, just lots of love and happiness.

Here's some photos from her stay in the hospital.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 24 Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM

Darshani- I'm glad to hear the surgery went well. It sounds like your DD is doing well. The pics of her at the hospital were too cute.

Nikolas isn't doing much new. He is still a little wobbly while sitting. No babbling yet either. He does the aaa and ooo sounds, but no bababa or dadada yet.

He nursed what seemed like all night long last night, and leaked through two dipes last night. I'm hoping this is just a growth spurt and that he'll nurse less tonight.
#6 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 12:51 AM

Darshani - I'm glad to hear everything went so well with Nitara.

I took Alyssa for her 6 month appt. a few weeks ago. She was 14 lbs. 8 oz, which is less than what I had weighed her at at home, so she is still probably about 15 lbs now. They measured her at 25 in, and I measure her close to 27 inches, so she is somewhere in the middle I guess. But the Dr. said her size was perfectly fine. I had her hearing tested also - basically to get my mother to stop worrying about it. She hears perfectly fine of course. She has finally started babbling a lot more in the last week. She is saying mamama all the time.

She still can't quite get the hang of crawling forward. She can crawl backwards and she gets up on her hands and knees and rocks. You can just tell she wants to go forward so badly, but she just can't quite yet. Sometimes, she just dives forward and falls. I think it will happen any day now though.

She likes to play with solid food, I don't know how much she is ingesting. She likes to grab the spoon and get a big mouthfull and spit it out. I have started to just strip her down to her diaper for feeding time. I just ordered a book on making baby food, so I think she will like that better than the jarred stuff. She has been a little cranky today and has nursed a lot, so I haven't bothered with solids. I think she is just tired and frustrated from trying to crawl.

We are starting Baby and Mommy Gym and Swim this week. Anyone else done anything similar? One day a week we do stuff in the tumbling gym, and another day we are in the pool. I am curious to see how she is in the pool.

Can't wait to read about how everyone else is coming along.
#7 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Darshani- I am so glad the surgery went well! Nitara is beautiful as always

Marcy- Vicente is also desperately trying to crawl, he gets so frustrated! poor little ones, they are at a stage where they want to do everything but they are trying to master the skills to do it and patience is not part of their vocabulary! :LOL

Karry- wow! 2 dipes?? I hope you get some sleep tonight 's
#8 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 12:27 PM

Darshani- I am so glad that things went well for your family. Nitara is gorgeous

Elias still isn't eating solids at almost 8 months because of his gag reflex. He throws everything back up poor guy But he is really healthy and thriving on my breastmilk so that is good.
I bet that he will stand by himself in the next month. He is working towards that goal so that he can keep up with his sisters
#9 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 03:34 PM

Carrots, try feeding with a 3 ml medicine syringe. It's just the right width to fit in a baby's mouth. You can find them at the pharmacy. Nitara is starting to like to eat that way. I suck up bananas or something that's equally as yummy, and then squirt it to the inside back of her cheek. I only squirt 5. to 1 ml per squirt. That way it won't trigger the gag reflex and she can move it around with her tongue and swallow. She also likes to suck on the syringe while I'm pushing slowly. If you use a spoon, make sure not to place food on the middle of the tongue, but rather let him close his mouth around it and suck it off.

I'm learning a lot about gag reflexes from the feeding therapy!

My 3yo had a bad gag reflex and still will gag sometimes. Small bites works great for babies eating table foods. I used to give Abi 1 cheerio at a time so she wouldn't stuff them in her mouth and gag.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#10 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 08:18 PM

Things are going well here. Danae is doing a lot of "talking" but mostly vowels. No consonants yet. But she's constantly making noise.
She is also very mobile. She gets into a sitting position from her belly and gets on her hands and knees but isn't really crawling. Still pulling up to knees a lot and sometiems all the way to her feet.
She feeds herself with a spoon, kinda. As long as its something that sticks to the spoon, she can feed herself. We cook her food and love the Super Baby Food for ideas on how to freeze food so we only have to make a big batch once. We're on sweet potatos and white potatos right now and she loves them...as well as the bananas and we just started her on "oaties" (organic cheerios, basically). Thankfully no allergies so far although she does react somewhat to my breastmilk when I eat a lot of egg in a day. We did find out though that her brother, ds, is allergic to sweet potatoes. Hate these allergies!

Dh is getting some friction from his parents as to why Danae has not been weaned yet. She's 7 months old! Thankfully, there not around too much.

Oh, and Danae already has four top teeth and two bottom! She's such a biter too! Ouch!! Little Stinker!

Well, off to play with my baby.

Oh, one more thing. We had a 6 month appt for her but they had to reschedule. They were looking like she would be 8 months before they would be able to get her in so I just told them to go ahead and schedule her 9 month instead. We skipped the 3 month (went in at 4 or so months due to a stomach bug). Might as well skip the 6 month. hehe. We're not immunizing and she's doing find and I have no questions so why not. I weighed her on my home scale and she's about 17.5 lbs. Not too bad for my skinny minny.
#11 of 24 Old 09-07-2004, 08:50 PM

Location: the beautiful mountains of sunny Southern California
Howdy, Ladies!

Darshani - I'm so glad Nitara's surgery went well!

Audrey is a mobile fool. She's still just doing an army crawl, but she can get herself around the house just fine. I put her in a room with a step up into the rest of the house 2 days ago so that I could keep track of her for a few minutes, and when I went back to get her, she was gone. So she can climb steps (well, step) now too. She is trying like mad to pull herself up, but she still stands on tiptoe, so I don't think she'll be walking any time soon.

We've tried solids (homemade applesauce, banana, avocado) a couple of times. Each time, Audrey has given us a horrified look, as in "what the hell do you think you're doing?". Breastmilk is all she wants, and I'm good with that, so no more food attempts for a while.

Sleep is challenging these days. I think the family bed is great, but it's really hard to get a 3yo and a 7mo old to bed at the same time. That means that Audrey is staying up until I go to bed, and I think I'm missing her sleepy window. Then she's restless throughout the night and naps great during the day.

There aren't any Mommy and Baby classes in my area that I know of, but Gym and Swim sounds like so much fun! I know Audrey would like the swim part for sure.

DH and I found a family practice doc (in theory) who would be OK with no vax, but our consultation appointment got cancelled. Is it a sign? Audrey has never seen a medical professional other than the midwife. Heck, DH and I haven't even registered her birth. The county prefers to register births within 10 days and requires them to be registered within 1 year. I wasn't going anywhere near a government office in the first 10 days - now I need to get motivated to prove to the world that Audrey exists!
#12 of 24 Old 09-08-2004, 12:14 AM

Glad to hear that all your babies are doing well!! Kaylee is doing great. She has been crawling about a month now. She turned 7 months today. I can hardly believe how fast time has flown. We are nursing her first cold that I believe she got from the doctor's office She hasn't been eating well because of it. She has started saying Mama too. I was so shocked when she said it the first time. Everytime since then it just warms my heart=) We are in the process of switching to cloth diapers! I ordered 14 over the weekend on the TP. I can't wait to get them!! Well I guess that's about all for right now!
#13 of 24 Old 09-08-2004, 12:29 AM

Darshani-I am so glad Nitara is doing well! I was hoping the surgery went ok, so thanks for sharing that it did.

Zibby is crawling, and pulling up to standing, and generally acting like she wants to walk. She pulls herself up, then half turns and takes one arm up like she is going to just take a step over. YIKES! If you hold her arms, she will herky-jerky her legs forward too. I have no doubt she will be walking soon..maybe by 9 mos (like me)

No teeth yet, first haircut, and no more solids for right now. I was making some purees for her, and she was sort of eating them, but she also started sleeping really poorly, so I quit them and what do you know....she is sleeping better again. No hurry, we will try some more next month maybe.

Glad to hear about everyone else's little ones
#14 of 24 Old 09-11-2004, 03:02 AM

Hi, everyone. I never make it on MDC anymore, but I'm on tonight and thought I'd cehck for a new Sept thread! Glad to see all the babies are doing great! Even Nitara!!!

Carrots, Lily has been barfing up solids whenever I've tried, but tonight I did it differently and she did fine. I had a frozen, super ripe banana in the freezer, so I thawed, mashed, and then *strained* it and added water. She didn't know what to think about this new taste and texture, but she didn't barf!! I mean *maybe* 1/2 tsp made it into her mouth, but we were so excited, taking pictures, etc. Makes the same confused, gross-out face her brother did. I'm sure I'll still take this s-l-o-w, but this was hopefull for us. She goes to the doc for her, ahem, 6 m check up (she'll be 7.5m!) next week, so we'll talk about it.

She is just today starting to actually crawl a bit. she "army" crawls it everywhere and is super cute! Pulls up on everythign and will just stand there forever. So funny!

Another milestone this week has been officially weaning 2.75yo ds from his paci! I'm SOOOO excited and it wasn't nearly as hard as I was expecting. Wanted to wait until he could somewhat grasp the concept and live w/o it.

Hope to hear from more mamas! And I hope to get to spend more time on MDC....SO hard w/ two little ones and a dh who needs the computer too....
#15 of 24 Old 09-11-2004, 03:03 AM

and vixxen, congrats on making the switch!!! It's an adventure!

And I'm also glad to hear my baby's not the only one who's tooth-less!
#16 of 24 Old 09-11-2004, 10:39 AM

I think my little daughter is now saying "amamamama" when she is with daddy and upset and throws her arms towards me. Ds calls me "Ama" so I may just have another child calling me that. Tis ok with me. She won't say it unless she's upset. She's not even making consonant sounds unless she's upset but they are there.
#17 of 24 Old 09-13-2004, 12:54 AM

Anybody else's babes shaking their head?? I think it's kind of wierd but too cute. Zane is now crawling and getting faster everyday. He is also eating solids once a day and was loving it but in the past few days has started refusing everything I give him. I dunno.

I started school a few weeks ago (2 classes and the longest I'm gone from him is 4 hours) since my ex is all the way in MI I'm leaving him a g-ma's daycare (which he loves, thank god!!). He would NOT drink from a bottle so my G-ma tried a sippy cup and he gulped all 5 oz down!! Now he's lovin sippy cups . He seems like such a big boy!

He's only saying bababababa, but today in church he was yelling so loud (not crying, just making noise) everybody was having to yell over him. It was too funny. He was very much a distraction, but I hate to put him in the nursery so oh well.

Beansmom- we went to the pool a week ago and Zane was not liking it. I think it may be because it was cool water and a lot of stimulation. Our swimming window is over now, we'll try next summer.

So, about teething... are your babies getting snotty noses?

Nice to hear from you all!

Dp, me dreads.gif  ds#1  goodvibes.gif, ds #2 jog.gif and ds#3 drool.gif

#18 of 24 Old 09-13-2004, 05:09 PM

Nikolas is finally sitting well. He is almost 7.5 months, and is also starting to scoot backwards. He tries to go forward, but is only able to go backwards. After awhile he gets frustrated and starts to cry. Hopefully he will figure out how to go forward soon.

We had only been doing solids once a day, but today Nikolas had some constipation, so I'm going to back off on the solids and just nurse him until he is better. My older DS had bad constipation as a baby, and I don't want to go through that again with Nik.
#19 of 24 Old 09-13-2004, 07:54 PM

Well, dd is now growling all day now (currently sitting on the computer desk going "grrrr") and now has started to babble occasionally! Yeah! She's also attempting a crawl although still mostly getting on all fours and then lunging forward. Too cute! She doesn't say dada but definetly says mama when she wants me.
#20 of 24 Old 09-14-2004, 12:18 AM

It's fun to read about how everyones babes are doing! I haven't posted on the jan/feb threads before, but I hope you don't mind me joining!

DD was 7 months just last week, and TEETHING! None have turned up yet, but she drools and drools, chews on everything and has drool rash around her chin. Snotty nose too, but I thought she was fighting off the cold that DH & I have, didn't know it was/could be related to teething?

She scoots like a pro now, sticks her little hands down to the floor and pushes off backwards. She can turn in circles and has learned to direct herself backwards in the direction she wants to go. She can start from a sitting position and make it into her funny little crawl, but gets frustrated that she can't get back into a sit!

NO solids around here, I try every now and then, but as soon as the taste of something other than BM crosses her little lips, she makes terrible faces and gags. Even if she sucks it off my finger or hers, so I don't think it is a gag reflex thing, more a "that's not my nursie" thing! I have started offering it to her when I put her in the high chair (she loves to play with things on the tray and be up high near mama) while I clean the kitchen. She paints on her tray, covers herself with bananas or whatever. Today, she was sucking on her fingers without the terrible noises, so we'll see... I am only encouraging her more because I will be taking on a part-time night/weekend job to help make ends meet. She will not take a bottle or sippy cup, and I am a little worried about how DH will handle 6 hours alone with her at night, when she is use to a marathon nursing session. We'll see how this goes... Any advice on introducing bottles or sippy cups at 7 + months?

they grow so fast...

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#21 of 24 Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 AM

Aidan's REALLY showing an interest in food. He even gnawed on a piece of pizza crust Friday and I've started letting him snack on Cheerios.

Yesterday was a big achievement day...he pulled himself up against on of the chairs here in the living room. Over and over and over again. *sigh* He's growing too quickly!
#22 of 24 Old 09-15-2004, 12:42 PM

Elias has begun to eat a few things!! Well, at least let us put a spoon of something tasty in his mouth and not thrown up!! I am so glad
Yesterday my dh made a fort for my 2 yo and 4yo and Eli crawled inside too and all 3 played nicely together. It was a sweet glimpse into the future.
Is anyone dressing up their baby for Halloween? We haven't decided yet.
#23 of 24 Old 09-24-2004, 02:32 AM

I just found this thread! I really would love to hear what you do with your babies every day! We read, go swimming, sometimes go for walks, play on the floor which she likes now, sing songs (the only person who actually likes my singing) and play with the animals but would love any more fun suggestions! Today we went to the mall, yikes!

Anyhow Celeste is 8 mo now and ummmm 26 lbs...no vax, cd, bf, and mostly co-sleeping (dh does not want to...but we have been!) she babbles a lot and we think she said her first word...not mama or dada but D O G...she does babble mama and dada but not sure she knows what it means...its so hard to tell...dog is consistent tho and she loves them! She does the sign for milk, and knows some others and would really recommend signing with your baby.

Anyhow not much luck on the crawling but she is good at going backwards, otherwise she scoots and rolls, I think the chunky thighs get in the way, she likes to stand now tho with our help. Really not into solids now either, but am not too concerned.

So what other things DO you do with your babies for fun?!

Forgot to say she has 4 teeth but NO hair...but everyone says what a cute little guy HE is...sigh! Even in pink?!

Who stole my signature!
#24 of 24 Old 09-24-2004, 10:02 AM

Aidan's started cruising the furniture. Poor little guy just doesn't know how to get down once he's stood up.

What do we do for fun? He listens to me read, I get down on the floor with him and play with his toys (he likes to try and give his binky to Cookie Monster :LOL), we go for walks, I take him to his brother's soccer and football games, etc.

There's not really any structure to our play...oh! He loves to crawl away with me crawling behind 'chasing' him and growling. He thinks that's hilarious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page