Mainstream "Parenting" mag has debate - pick baby up or CIO??? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, I was so surprised. I read a copy of this months "Parenting" magazine, and they had a question: When a baby cries at night, should you pick him up, or let him CIO? The surprising thing (to me) is that 79% of the people who answered the survey said PICK HIM UP! 2 I think that is absolutely amazing for such a mainstream publication. There were almost 10,000 responses.

I guess the AP word is getting "out there" 2

Peace! Tuscany

Wife to Hank , Mommy to Gabriella 6.5 yrs Anthony 28 monthsand 3 angels wait for me in Heaven Praying to be a Proverbs 31 woman!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 12:22 AM

I know! Actually, Dr. Sears is the MD they use for Parenting Magazine. This mag is MUCH better than Parents Magazine (which sucks, IMO) at least some AP vibes are out there...
#3 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 01:02 AM

I am actually surprised that 21% answered let them CIO. I guess I dont' think of the mainstream community as being all that callous. Most of my friends who are not AP would pick their babies up, since they are babies after all. Just that mainstream parents don't cosleep or BF as long or wear their babies etc.

#4 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 02:10 AM
Banned

there's a commercial on tv here that says "after you do x y and z if the baby is still crying, pick him up." I think its huggies or some other baby brand.

Just makes me

Picking up is the first thing I do!
#5 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamid
there's a commercial on tv here that says "after you do x y and z if the baby is still crying, pick him up." I think its huggies or some other baby brand.

Just makes me

Picking up is the first thing I do!
I've seen that commercial too, and it's really annoying.

I'm really glad to see that so many people said no to CIO, that's a lot better than I would have thought.
#6 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 04:54 PM

It seems to me that I am in the minority around here because I would never let my kids CIO. At least not when they are babies. We finally had to let DS cry when he wanted to continue nursing at least 5 times a night when he was around 15 months old. I just couldn't handle it anymore. BUT, he was in the bed with us, so he knew we weren't abandoning him. I felt ok with that, and he adjusted right away!

I just don't understand how people let their kids cry. Although, I do have a friend with twins and I don't envy her - that must be really hard - imagine having triplets or more!
#7 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 PM

around here(mdc) you are not in the minority at all brandi. Welcome
#8 of 12 Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

is it bad that we got ourselves a second hand vibrating basinette after the cat pissed in our wicker one?

but we still pick DD up first when she cries. We got through the list - food, wet, dirty, hugs, cuddles, verticality... not the other way which that stupid commercial tells unsuspecting parents that picking up is the last thing to do. ARGH.
#9 of 12 Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM

not a mom yet, expecting in november. There is so much out there that says they are supposed to learn to soothe themselves after 6 months, but I can't imagine not comforting them. I mean, they are just babies!!!!!

Any thoughts?
#10 of 12 Old 09-17-2004, 09:19 PM

archaeomom: the learning to soothe themselves thing after 6 months is what the "experts" used to say, but I'm guessing that those "experts" were not mamas. My take on the whole thing: babies, who are by nature pre-verbal, have no other way to communicate with their voices other than squeaking, squealing, babbling, blowing raspberries and crying. The first four are usually happy noises, or at least baby feeling like experimenting noises. The crying usually means "I need you," "I need food," "I need a dry or clean diaper," or "I don't feel good." All of them require someone else to help. Until babies learn to use language, sign or vocalized, it's our responsibility as parents and caregivers to help them as quickly as possible.

warmly,
claudia
#11 of 12 Old 09-18-2004, 02:03 PM

I think you are right about the "experts". I got an issue of NewParent free from the ob's office the other day, here's what it says: "Perhaps the biggest mistake you can make is to use tricks to get your baby to sleep. You know them....rocking, feeding, walking and singing the baby to sleep". Can you believe it!!!!!!! I swear I did not take that quote out of context. Of course, there is also an article about how you'll suffocate your baby if you sleep with him. This mag is promptly going in the recycle bin.

When I was in my first trimester I got an armload of these free mags. I was so thrilled to have baby related material I spent the evening going through them. I then called my friend and ranted for a while about how they turn childbearing into a marketing scheme. I swore off baby magazines then and there. Luckily a smart woman I work with got me a subscription to Mothering as a shower gift. What a relief to find a different perspective!
#12 of 12 Old 09-18-2004, 02:15 PM
Banned

nak....

we get these "free" baby books from CPS here. They tell "good" parents how to raise their little ones but they are full of misinformation. Ezzo's books are almost "good" parenting compared to these.

but, if you don't have them, you are considered to be "uniformed" and "bad" parents. After all, you don't have the latest CPS propoganda and therefore must be converted to their ways.

Worse.. the books are written at a grade 3 level, so women like me who graduated high school at the least, never mind the college and university grads, look at then like the drivel they are and go after decent parenting resources like Mothering.

And no, I don't subscribe to Mothering... I support my local health food store and buy it from there. They also carry stuff like adbusters and other alternative mags that the actual bookstores in the city don't.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page