~~*October mama's*~~ - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm finding that loss of breastfeeding feels worse than the loss of a vaginal birth, for me the c-birth happened once ... but i have to bottlefeed this poor baby 8 or more times a day and i grieve every time i am revulsed by the whole thing ... the plastic bottle, silicone nipple, artificial milk *bleah* i work so hard to keep those emotions out of my head when i'm feeding Willow, i just keep singing to her and rocking her and kissing her little head.

i think she's weaned herself from nursing for comfort already, also when pumping my supply is down to 1/2 oz or less per breast, so after 9pm i can nurse her for comfort and be sure she's not getting enough of my meds to harm her (i do this after she's had a bottle so she doesn't get frustrated by hunger). last night she latched on just fine (has never showed any nipple confusion, dear thing!) and then totally lost interest. same thing the night before

i wear a sports bra to sleep with nursing pads, if i wake up with milk on my jammies i get too upset.

is there a "breastfeeding loss" forum anywhere i can post in? i don't want to keep venting in here. but if i don't talk about it i feel like i'm going to explode!

Willow is really finding her voice ... she's gone from those newborn little bird cries to vocalizing in all sorts of tones of voice she says coo, boo, bahhh and AH! so far i can tell she's going to have a really lovely little elfin voice. her smiles are bright enough to light up the world! no matter how down i'm feeling, i see one smile and i laugh with delight. she's also filling out finally, she had a lil pencil neck and skinny frog legs, and now she's getting little baby-fat folds.

if anyone here knows about formula feeding, i need advice. she's eating 3 oz. per feeding, but she's "cluster" feeding every 1-2 hours sometimes! i can't find anything on that in any of the baby books or websites, it just says feed them every 3-4 hours. i have no idea if this is over-feeding, or what the long-term effects could be. i figure it's a growth spurt but it's been going on 3 days now. everything i've read says what she should be eating in relation to her weight, and she's eating twice that. with good burps and no spitting up. could it have been my milk supply really was low, and she's making up for it now?

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#302 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 04:26 PM

How often is everyone bathing their newborns? Just curious. Everything I read says they don't need baths often, but I want her to get used to them and enjoy them. The first one was not fun since I used the traditional blue tub. She was sliding around too much. Now I use the big bathtub, just put a towel on the floor of it and she likes that much better.
I sleep with my day bra on. I hate it. I've always been the type to take my bra off the minute I am home from work (along with my socks and shoes ) Wearing a bra all the time drives me crazy! I hate having wet shirts though, especially since the house can get kind of cool. I love my showers b/c I don't wear a bra!
Sling rejection: I agree with moving around, E likes it more when we are on the go. When I was first getting her used to it, I would put her in and she'd fuss, but then I would take a few minutes to nurse her and calm her down. Then we could do whatever.
I am fighting some depression, not ppd though. I found out that my "go back to work date" is Jan 10. Every day I grieve over it. There is just no way that we can afford me not to work. Childcare will be provided by my mil, so it will be free. I am soooo sad though.
#303 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 PM

Thia....Ella gets a bath about once a week... proly should be more often, tho.
#304 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 07:34 PM

nak...Levi gets a bath whenever he starts stinking, or whenever I need to take him in the shower with me.
#305 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 07:53 PM

We bathe him about every 3 days or so but haven't used soap yet. When it gets colder and drier out we do about 2x a week or if they get stinky like Katie said.

So the little stinker nurses 24/7 for the first 4 days then my milk comes in with a vengence and now he's nursing more like 2-3 hrs and I'm dying after about half this time I know things will even out over the next few days/weeks but geesh. And even though I've nursed 2 others I'm not sure how good his latch is. He's got his lips flanged out but I think he has a short fendulum (SP???) under his tongue so he's not opening that wide. It's been a week and my nipples are still bright red and sting to high heaven when he first latches but then they're fine when he gets going. Ideas?
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#306 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 08:03 PM

Our ped recommended baths once a week, and spot-cleaning in between (face and chins).

Our perfect sleepy baby (six hours a night!) has finally turned into a normal newborn. Last night Henry cried til 3:30 am!! He usually has a fussy period around 9pm - midnight, but decided to extend it into the wee hours I guess. I really hope this isn't a new schedule he'll want to keep!!

I didn't know what to do so I kept trying to feed him. He seemed sooo hungry. But then he'd get even fussier afterwards and spit up all over himself and soil his diaper, so I'd have to change him and he'd scream even more because he hates being naked.....
I've read The Happiest Baby on the Block, but none of the S's were working. Finally we both got so tired we ourselves to sleep. I guess this means I'm practicing CIO for Parents. Fingers crossed that this was a one-time thing....

Piglet - About my baby pictures: the only way I can get good pics is to turn off the flash and turn on lots of room lighting. Otherwise the flash over-exposes him and you can see all his baby acne.
#307 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 08:07 PM

Baths? I still haven't given one to Lillian...

I've wiped her down but that's it. I guess it's about time LOL.

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#308 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnR33
It's been a week and my nipples are still bright red and sting to high heaven when he first latches but then they're fine when he gets going. Ideas?
Ann
Lanisoh lanilon cream. Works like a dream! Reccomened by LLL too! I used it non-stop the first few days and it was so wonderful!

I bath Tara once a week. I put her in the tub w/ me and she just lays on my tummy and legs.

Gas issues are better today.

I finally have slowed down on the leaking but i've always slept braless and use the disposable pads. Just had a huge box leftover from first time. Thanfully I don't leak all that bad.

Hope all the fussy babies get better soon.
#309 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 PM

I bathe Lizzie about every day, just because she loves the tub so much. Even if she's fussy, she'll get quiet and wide-eyed in the water.

I was in the grocery store yesterday, and I swear I felt like I was playing a game of tag. I had her in the sling and people still came up and invaded my personal space to try to put their grubby little hands on her! I would never think of going up and touching a stranger's new baby! Maybe I should have done something equally as germy, like lick the produce in their baskets or something! What are people thinking?
#310 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 09:43 PM

Colbey loves the bath too-the last 2x he actually fell asleep in there! I just hold him against me so he stays warm and DH washes him up. I can't believe he falls asleep but it's sooo cute.

I do use the lansinoh but not every day-I should use it more! DUH

RBinTEX-I can't believe people would do that-looking is one thing but touching is a no-no!
Ann

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#311 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 09:54 PM

I thought we all coukd use a nice laugh. A friend sent me this joke.

Ham Sandwich

As ham sandwiches go, it was perfection. A thick slab of ham, a fresh bun, crisp lettuce and plenty of expensive, light brown, gourmet mustard.

The corners of my jaw aching in anticipation, I carried it to the picnic table in our backyard, picked it up with both hands but was stopped by my wife suddenly at my side.

"Hold Johnny (our six-week-old son) while I get my sandwich," she said.

I had him balanced between my left elbow and shoulder and was reaching again for the ham sandwich when I noticed a streak of mustard on my fingers.

I love mustard.
I had no napkin.
I licked it off.

It was not mustard.

No man ever put a baby down faster. It was the first and only time I have sprinted with my tongue protruding. With a washcloth in each hand I did
the sort of routine shoeshine boys do, only I did it on my tongue.

Later my wife said, "Now you know why they call that mustard 'Poupon.' "
#312 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 10:10 PM

:
#313 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 10:34 PM

Dh and I just finished highlighting each others hair...turned out alright

I bathe Quinn every 3-4 days and spot clean him every day. I still need to bring the baby tub up and see if he will like it. So far I have been laying him on a towel in the bathtub...sometimes he enjoys it and sometimes he doesn't.
#314 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 10:35 PM

: Will have to tell dh that joke.
#315 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 PM

Hi
Meli: just wanted to send you a hug.. I don't know about this board.. but there is a bottle feeding board over on the Ovusoft message boards..

DD's gas issues were better today..

Chantal
#316 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 11:20 PM

Oh, I have been wanting to reply to this thread for real for soooo many days, but I have not had the chance!

My little Levi is one touchy newborn. He wants to be held at a specific angle, wants to nurse with his head cocked weirdly to one side, and wants to sleep only on his belly. It's making me a little nutty. He also can't stand anything touching his feet, he wigs out. How weird is that??? Like, if I am on the sofa and his feet touch the cushion behind us, he starts crying. I love my lil baby, don't get me wrong, he just has so many quirks! And if he is awake, he pretty much has to be nursing non-stop. (And a lot of the time when he is asleep, too.)

On the up side, he grinned at me twice yesterday. I was smiling and talking to him, and he grinned and cooed!!! I was sooooo in love all over again. He has started making the cutest little noises, too.

Oh man! I wanted to reply to a bunch of your posts/questions, but he is waking up....hopefully I can write more later!
#317 of 446 Old 11-18-2004, 11:39 PM

Katie,

Your baby reminds me of my first-born. Soooooo sensitive to every little thing! When he was a toddler and preschooler, we had to put his socks on and take them off a dozen times until they were comfortable on his feet, then lace and relace his shoes until they felt bearable. I also cut the tags out of all his clothes because they scratched him. Thankfully he did finally outgrow all that! He's a smart kid, so maybe hypersensitivity is a sign of intelligence! (He's also moody, so maybe it's just a sign of crankyness!)
#318 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 12:16 AM

katie...all of my boys have been belly sleepers. I know they don't recommend it because of the sids factor, but there is so much more to that. Quinn will snuggle on his side next to me, but if he is on his tummy, he sleeps much better and longer. Could it be possible he may need an adjustment from the way he was coming down when you were in labor? Maybe that is why he prefers that odd position while nursing, his little body may be a bit out of wack. Just wondering.
#319 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 12:46 AM

Kimberly - Yeah, I am going to look into taking him for an adjustment.

Also, I do let him sleep on his belly - on me. He and I sleep belly-to-belly, he just nuzzles between my breasts. I usually sleep topless, and I roll him down onto the bed to nurse, and then roll him back up on my chest. We sometimes wake up wet from leaky boobs or leaky diapers, but hey - we're washable.
#320 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
nak....i agree with Thia and piglet.....ousama would become like a stick, all tense when we put him in the sling anbd would start screaming immidiatly...but since we start waalking no problem...
Piglet, so true about them falling asleep in the sling...when i put him down he continues sleeping till i wake hi up..because im afraid he wont sleep at night...
Nancy, hope it is just one night thing for henry, for ds had waking hours from 5am till 7am every night....and i would nurse huim cconstanly but nothing seemed to help...yesterday i was so tired and dh woke upand took ds into his arms and started dancing (jumping.....and he was asleep in 5 min.... let ur dh try it if this happens again...(i hope not of course)
sorry for typing mistakes but really hate nak....
mamatoliamandtara thanx for the laugh,....:LOL

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
#321 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 01:41 PM

Harrison's foot fungus seems to be clearing up nicely. His big toe nails look very weird from the fungus eating away at them but I'm sure it'll grow out and they'll look normal again. Thanks for all the warm wishes.

Harrison still dosen't really nurse himself to sleep. He's fallen asleep at the breast maybe 4 or 5 times total. Usually he nurses until he's had his fill then pulls off and wants to be walked or rocked to sleep. This is a new phenomena in our home as Alias nursed to sleep form day one. It was a guarunteed easy way to get that little guy to take his naps or go down for the night. And while nursing to sleep is great and so convenient, it is really really hard to stop nursing to sleep when you the mom are ready to stop. And it also sounds a bit stressful to be trying to nurse Harrison to sleep for half an hour or so while Alias is running around being a typical toddler and needing attention. Seems to me I'd just be setting myself up to loose it. So I'm looking into other AP, gentle, co-sleeping friendly ways to get a babe to sleep. I'm going to go to the library and pick up a copy of "The No Cry Sleep Solution", does any one else have any other suggetions. Anything that has worked for any of you moms of 3, 4, 5...?
#322 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 03:46 PM

Got another quick minute on the computer so I wanted to take the opportunity to reply to a couple of posts.

Aime - Yes I got your PM but everytime I start to respond I either have Alias insisting that it's his turn to press the buttons on the computer or Harrison wanting to nurse (an I hate nak).

Melli - I can only imagine how devastating the loss of breast feeding would be. Vent away here. We're here to support each other.

Nancy - Henry's bad night was probably related to bad gas or an upset tummy. Both my boys are awsome sleepers but both had the occasional night of crying followed by throwing-up, followed by more crying. Hopefully it's just one of those rare occurances that kept your poor little guy awake and you are able to enjoy the luxury of a good sleeper once again.
#323 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 03:56 PM

Tha mustard thing was pretty funny!
About people touching E...when I have her in the maya, she is pretty much concealed from the world. People will ask what I have in there. So, if I do expose her a little to show her off, I try to have my arm across her to swat away and touching attempts. It may not be the politess thing, but maybe people should ask first eh?
I was so amazed this morning. I was drinking tea and noticed E tracking my mug. I ended up just watching her for 20 minutes. It is amazing how I can almost see her thinking, growing, and learning.
The crying at night...goodness, I have to be careful to not let her get overtired otherwise it is hard to get her to sleep. One night I was almost ready to put her in the car and drive around! She ended up finally falling asleep!
Glad Harrison's feet are looking better. Almost kissable again?
#324 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 04:22 PM

I've got the opposite problem, Mirthfulmom. Lizzie can't go to sleep without my boob in her mouth, and I've got four people standing at my elbows begging to hold her and rock her! I'd love to be able to pass her off to these willing baby entertainers, but she fusses until the boob goes back in the mouth
#325 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I think it's so sweet that Reed sleeps best in arms,sling, or next to us. It's as if he senses when left alone and starts to stir. It really gives validation to AP principles. Thinking about how they live inside us, constantly hearing our hearts, voices, and every other noise we made, it just makes so much sense to continue to keep them near us. I don't see how you could do it any other way!

So sleepy today!
#326 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 08:56 PM

did everyone read this: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ement.php?f=32

Should we use our yahoo group to chat for the week?
#327 of 446 Old 11-19-2004, 11:48 PM

Oy! They are going down during the time my DH is gone, that's not fair!! I'd be cool with using the yahoo group.

I'm glad to say the beginning of my second couple of days alone with the kids is going much better. DS hasn't been napping much this week, but it makes bedtime soooo much easier...he is asleep so quickly he doesn't notice as much or care as much that I am leaving the room. And last night he only woke up once at 1am and didn't come into our bed til 6:45 this morning!! (to watch tv LOL) So I felt almost rested today. Though I really need a week or so like this to even come close to catching up on 2.5 years. I really really hope this is a new trend. But somehow I doubt it is. I'm just really feeling the need for sleep now more than ever.

DS was so cute today. He was building with some magnets toys and DD was in my arms/lap. I told her that DS was building a tower, and then DS started talking to her...it was so cute! He said "Ilyan, woot, I build tower!" and held it up to her to see. I melted!! He also tried to show her a picture he made today (of course he held it up about 2 inches from her face :LOL).

Well I should really finish DD's announcement and pick up the house and fold the laundry and clean up the peanuts all over the floor in here...and the legos...but I'm tired so I think I'll go to bed instead!!!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#328 of 446 Old 11-20-2004, 12:59 AM

hello...i've been out and about the last two days so haven't had a chance to post...have been reding tho.

Have been using my NNBC while i have been out and about the last two days...Ella does really well in it and the tummy to tummy carry is so comfy.

i was wondering if anyone was interested in buying ot trading for 2 nursing camis from target? they just don't work for me...they just apply too much pressure against the "girls" that i got a plugged duct today and had to run around wal mart the rest of the day braless so if anyone is interested let me know...one of them hasn't even been worn yet...they are both XL but run small.

ok...Ella is sleeping so i'm gonna jump in bed nd try and sleep a little...she doesn't usually settle down for the night till 11-12, and it's 1- now, so i'm gonna snooze a little too...she's only up once in the night...around 3ish and then not till 6-6:30 so i can't complain much.

let me know about the camis..
#329 of 446 Old 11-23-2004, 03:11 PM

Hi All
I am so glad the forums were not down a whole week!! Since I am not on the yahoo group.. I was thinking that it would be a long week..

Hope everyone is well..

Chantal
#330 of 446 Old 11-23-2004, 03:20 PM

Hi, Chantal!

Wonder where everyone is...it's good to have MDC back up and running!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page