~~*October mama's*~~ - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2004, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got another moment to add to my original post.

Wanted to congratulate all you moms who NIP for the first time during the holiday family get together. Way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2004, 07:44 PM

Just a quick while Henry is snoring in the Hotsling. He gets irritated when he realizes I've tricked him and we're not moving any more.

I've got a fast grower/ constant nurser here, too. He's gaining over 1 oz per day and nursing about every hour. Yesterday at Mom's she said, "I've never seen a little baby eat so much!" and she's had six of them! He's sleeping well at night as long as we get to bed by 9pm. If we wait too long then he fusses and cries until midnight. He wakes up to nurse about every 2-3 hours, but eats quickly and then right back to sleep. I'm glad the marathon 2 hour nursing sessions are over finally!

Ditto to whomever said they think baby pretends to be hungry to get back to momma. Henry has started crying whenever he leaves my arms, including when DH holds him. It's very upsetting for DH. He thinks Henry doesn't like him. I'm sure it's just a phase and that eventually he'll bond to DH, too. But it's eroding his confidence and if I ask him to hold him while I go to the bathroom or something, when I come back Henry is in his bouncy seat. He knows it upsets me, so he's trying hard to work out a way to calm HEnry on his own.

Gotta run!
Old 11-27-2004, 09:51 AM

i hope everyone had a great Turkey Day! i think there's nothing better for breakfast than leftover pumpkin pie. we're doing a "paper bag turkey" here today just so we can have leftovers for turkey sandwiches.

no more worries about those "developmental milestones!" being around my husband's big family seems to have had quite an effect on Willow, she was hugged and loved and held SO much, she was super happy. it also really helped that other people fed her, she still smells my milk and gets upset. but then i was worrying that she wouldn't bond with me because just anyone can feed her. well, she slept all the way home, then she was asleep for another hour and i didn't want to wake her up so i left her in her carseat right next to me. i was missing holding her for 4 hours! anyway, after she woke up she cooed, i looked at her and she was staring right into my eyes!! i picked her up and sang to her and she just kept looking at me then she smiled this HUGE smile!! we spent the whole evening staring at each other and grinning at each other every time i put her down she kept turning her head towards me and looking at me. my husband thinks maybe she was held by so many other people that she figured out it's her mommy she really wants

people keep giving us baby clothes size 3-6 and 6-9, aack! poor baby is still swimming in size 0-3. we even had to buy her a preemie size holiday dress (i'll post a pic on yahoo). she's long enough for 0-3, just so skinny like a string bean! so at least i have a TON of clothes for when she's older. grammy got her an official Red Sox "cheerleader" dress, it's big so she can wear it when the season starts again :LOL

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

Old 11-27-2004, 10:31 AM

E--I didn't see anyone specifically address you. I was terrified when I found a lump. I had a lump at the age that some of you haven't even reached and had a mammagram, etc. It was benign though. I think what you have is a plugged duct. Now, if I remember correctly that's a warning you need to rest b/c you don't want it turning to mastisis. Yes! I remember from Peggy O'Mara's book! REST! and hot compresses. you might want some cold in between and get babe to nurse on that side frequently, do the other but frequent the lumpy side. You don't want that turning into mastisis. It feels like the flu. Is is just right under the skin? I'm pretty sure that's what it is. If if doesn't go away after a day or so, then get it checked out. HTH!

yall did you see the pic, Carrie.

Glad to hear about frequent nursers. Mama said that I might need to give her cereal to help my milk along.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:02 PM

mornin'!

Letia....yes i saw it...it was a sweet piture of you and your little girl....now can we see your *whole* face... thanks for sharing!
Old 11-27-2004, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well on the subject of weight Reed was 10.2 at birth and now 5 weeks later he's 14! :LOL you should see my arm's! They're getting ripped Well our heats been out for 2 days, but thanks to our family bed the 4 of us are super cozy
Old 11-27-2004, 10:02 PM

nak
hey there! it's been a while and as usual i'm sooo behind! i only read the last two pages to catch up.
Ekatherina- i found a lump in my boob too, it was pretty deep down and did not feel like a clogged duct. but after a few days it went away. hope yours does too!

momadance- ella likes her 'changing table' too. we just use the coffee table though . we didn't have room for a real one, so we keep a basket by the couch w/ a towel and dipes and stuff. anyway, she gets so excited when we change her, she can't figure out which side has a better view so she keeps looking back and forth with WIDE eyes and coos.

weight gain- we've got quite the porker here. she was 7.5 at birth and 1 wk ago (6 weeks) she was 12.5! i was a huge baby too though so we're not worried. her ped came to thanksgiving (close friend of the family) and said she looked great... weighs above average but lookin good . she got her doctorate in argentina so she has much different ideas than US docs. much more relaxed.

i also nurse only on one side per feeding, unless she's particularly hungry and has both (not often though). maybe all that hindmilk explains her extreme chub

i am quite envious of those of you w/ babes that sleep more than 2 hrs at a time at night. 24/7 this girl eats every 2 hrs, sometimes more. i love it but am starting to feel the lack of sleep, ya know?

off to go post some pics of my sweetie!
have a good nite!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:35 PM

I've been meaning to post but haven't had a chance...
Just wanted to say thanks for finally posting a picture of yourself Letia! I would like to see the other half of your face as well but I'll take what I can get. Both of you girls are beautiful...and so are the diapers.

Little Zander is a constant nurser as well. I just weighed him and he's 14 pounds too. He's outgrowing everything. I just love all those rolls. He's also started smiling for real and kind of cooing back at me. We have little conversations that consist of "el goo" and "elk."

Mirthful- what you were saying about Harrison's sleep patterns sound a lot like Zander's some time. We always have this frantic time at night now. And he seems to jolt himself awake a lot during the day. He always wants to be nursing and when a let down happens and he doesn't want it, he gets so mad and cries. He hates the pacifier though and my finger. Just wants boob, but not always the milk. I've taken to rocking and nursing him in the dark at night now. That seems to be the only thing that calms him down. He freaks out if we're just laying still in the bed nursing.

oh, and Piglet- re: your post on the yahoo board - I feel the same about wanting to wean Logan but not knowing if it's the "right" thing to do or not. I try to limit it to twice a day, because more will drive me crazy. Let us know how it goes with Emily.

I'm so tired right now. Take care everyone!

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

Old 11-28-2004, 01:35 AM

Court, wow, can't believe Zander is already 14 lbs!!

The "weaning" seems to be working. She has gone all day without nursing, twice now, and only nursed once on the other day. And she went two nights without waking at all. Last night I did end up nursing her in the middle of the night for a brief moment. Overall, I'm happier becuase I feel I am choosing when we nurse and so not having so many "ick" moments. It's sad because when I was PG I can remember still loving it, cherishing it, thinking how small she still was and how fast time was going by. Now for some reason I just can't find that in me while nursing, and I feel icky nursing her. What's making this "weaning" all bearable is there have been no outbursts or tantrums around it, since I'm not making such an issue out of saying "no" and then I quickly move on to something else to talk about or do with her. She seems fine.

Sasha has fussy periods pretty much every evening. He doesn't really cry (the kid rarely does) but he squeals and fusses and lets out these little shrieks of protest. I wish I knew what was bugging him. Nothing much seems to help, and he just goes crazy at the breast, popping on and off, bobbing his head frantically. Doesn't seem to want it, then he does... Well, at least it's not prolonged crying, and it doesn't last too too long (maybe an hour or two). Then like someone turned off a switch, it just ends and he falls asleep. Go figure. He's definitely having more alert times, and as many of you have said, seems when he's awake he wants to nurse off and on. Guess it makes up for his naps. Still sleeping well at night, too. We "slept through the night" two nights in a row now, meaning I haven't had to get out of bed at all. He does wake to nurse, but I'm not sure how often or when, so I guess that's a good thing!

Glad everyone had a nice thanksgiving. Way to go katie for NIP!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 11-28-2004, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Letia, ur pictures are beautiful...mik is so so so cute.......and i am enviuos of your covers... that is why they don't leak....i can see now...mine are much smaller so they go down sometimes and are very large around ds's legs...i don't know why...still have leak problems but they are much less now....
Letia and Ashleey thanks for posting about the lump...Letia it seems you saw what would happen...mastitis or not but i got terrible flu, my breasts hurt(especially the one with the lupm) but i had no fever.....i wanted to call the nurse to come and see me tomorrow but today it seems better...but still my nose, my ears, my throaght...akh..everything hurts... but at least it is not so painful anymore to feed ds....do you think it was (or still is) mastitis???
Piglet, how do you manage to stay in bed all night...what do you do about the dipes??? if i dont change ds at least one time at night we will end up leaking everywhere....
Ashleey, ds wakes up every four hours to nurse and I feel very sleep deprived....I can't imagine how would I feel if he woke up every two hours...
Nancy, i don't remember but maybe i posted before that dh holds ds in his arms and starts dancing...it helps all the time and ds goes to sleep right away...
not much to post here...still feeling very sick and sleeping most of the day... hate it because i have to start on my research at home...thnking of starting to go to the lab from the next week....but still didn't try the bottle with ds....but i think id prefer dh coming to the faculty and bringing ds with him for me to nurse him...he loves bf so much...

Katie, farmer's wife belly.gifmom to ds (9y) modifiedartist.gifand dd (6y)dust.gif and ds (3y) jog.gif   we goorganic.jpg    saynovax.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gif 
Old 11-28-2004, 12:20 PM

nak
good mornin!
ekatherina you should quit doing anything that is not essential! relax and let your dh handle everything around the house (or make him, as i'd have to do ). snuggle your babe and feel better soon!

ella slept so well last night! after posting about the every 2 hr meals, she only ate 2x last night! i'm still tired but much less than usual.

katie yay for you for nip! i nip'd at my thanksgiving too. ella was sound asleep when we all sat down to eat (my immediate fam and about 5 people i didn't know) and then woke up to eat just as we started to pass the food around. she usually eats pretty fast but this time she took her time and finished when everyone else did! :LOL she just wanted to make sure she was a part of her first thanksgiving

gotta go check on dh- he's sick in bed w/ somethin yucky...flu maybe? i hope ella doesn't get it.
have a good sunday y'all!
Old 11-28-2004, 01:36 PM

Piglet-Emily does the same thing as Sasha, popping on and off the boob, fussing, bobbing head. i've found she's either gassy, overtired, or over stimulated (by light, tv, other people). Usually, some time in a quiet darkened room helps. Of course, I am there with her, usually trying to see if she needs to burp or just holding her close.
She didn't want to fall asleep last night, finally got her to sleep... for 3 hours. She wakes, eats, and doesn't want to fall back to sleep. I am exhausted and just want her to sleep. So, I start telling her she needs to go to sleep etc, not that she can understand. I had been holding her in a nursing position. I changed it so she was on her stomach, laying on my chest and she fell right to sleep like I turned a switch. I immediatly felt terribly guilty. All she wanted to was to be close to me, to feel loved and safe. Someday when she is "too cool" to be held, I will look back to these nights. I hope I can look back and remember all the times I held her. I won't care how much sleep I got!
Old 11-28-2004, 04:54 PM

Checking in...First time that I have been able to post since mdc went down a week ago. Had a busy Thanksgiving. Full house with family and friends who just left yesterday late afternoon. Lots of fun staying up late playing cards and whatnot. Had 11 kids here on the holiday...and yes I am still sane and wanting more kids!

Yesterday was dh and mine 5 yr. wedding anniversary. Hard to believe we have been married 5 yrs. and have 4 kids!!! Crazy!! I still feel like I am only 18 and I am actually 26.

Dh goes back to work on Tuesday. I feel ready. I think we are starting to fall into a routine around here, and now that my hormones are getting back to normal I am feeling patient with the boys again. I have found the key is to keep them busy doing something fun like playdough, coloring, drawing, reading stories. A friend told me that every time she nurses she uses it as a time to read a story to her other children. She said it made them feel a part of the nursing time. And dh makes sure that I get out of the house on my own...I am so thankful.

Quinn is doing really well. He to was having hind/foremilk issues but now that I am just nursing on one side per feeding, his poops are once again a nice yellow and he is more content. He is awake more now and is full of coos and smiles He will have a fussy moment at night too, but its not like it was when he was getting too much foremilk. He does like to have an awake period from 9-11, sometimes 12 at night. Hoping to somehow get that changed when dh goes back to work. I just can't be up that late and then get up with the other 3 at 7:30am the next morning.

Quinn must be up to 12-13lbs. now. He is such a chubber He still fits in some 0-3mos. but I had to put some away and get out his 3-6mos. I think I will be getting the next size dipes out in a month or so too if he keeps growing at this rate. I love his round little chubby belly

Amelia...Happy Belated Birthday!!!

Ok all...I am off to recover from the holidays. The boys and I are going to watch "Cheaper by the Dozen." Hope it doesn't give me any ideas! :LOL
Old 11-28-2004, 08:26 PM

good to hear fom you, Kimberly...so how close are your boys if you have had 4 in 5 years?
Old 11-28-2004, 10:29 PM

Hi Carrie!!

The first two boys are 12mos apart; the 2nd abd 3rd are 15 mos. apart; and the 3rd and 4th are 18 mos. apart. Life is busy, but I have found that the closer they are the easier it is. We are going to wait 2-3 yrs though now because dh will be going to law school next fall and it would be too much to have another one. We need the break too :LOL

How close are your 4 in age?
Old 11-28-2004, 11:26 PM

Ekatherina, I agree, it does sound like mastitis. Take it easy, and let anything non-essential go... Hope you feel better soon!

Yay for all you mamas NIP I don't know what has changed, but this time around I just have no problem whipping it out wherever I am. I mean, I try to be as discreet as possible ... I'm not *trying* to show boob ... but I *will* feed my baby when he's hungry When I was nursing E. ,I would NIP, but I was much more paranoid about it, and wold pick out of the way spots, or go to the car if I felt like it. Funny what changes in four years, huh? *lol* DH is much more comfortable too, so that's nice to feel supported

pooh, wanted to type more but e is calling me...
Old 11-29-2004, 12:21 AM

wow, they are close, Kimberly!! mine are:1 and 2 -- 18mos; 2 and 3 -- 34 mos; 3 and 4 - 28 mos. i must confess it is so helpful to have the older two in school. you must have wayyyy more patients than i... ella was the only "planned" one....got her on the first month of trying.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my mom was here for a week and didn't nag me about anything, except for not giving a paci to Reed. We really had a great time. It was so nice to have her around. Not too much to report. Miles has started to go to bed on his own, which is so nice because I was really starting to HATE laying down with him to fall asleep. Now he goes to our bed and "waits" for us to join him. I gave him a flash light. He calls us in every 10 minutes till he's sleeping, but it's a start.

As far as NIP goes, ITA with Bluehalo, I whip it out and hope I'm discreet. My little bro. (12) asked me if I would nurse the baby in the bathroom at a pizza place~! I told him everyone else isn't eating in the stinky bathroom, why should Reed have to! I think he was nervous other's would see my booby and being a protective lil man. Kinda cute. Well I'm in my fav. jeans, there not as droopy as I like, but i'm in them!
Old 11-29-2004, 01:25 PM

bravo to those who NIP i've always smiled when i've seen a mom NIP, it just seems so very right. i feel wistful when i see it now because i wish i was still nursing, but it still makes me smile i feel like i'm setting a horrible example when i need to feed Willow with a bottle in public.

Willow is finally growing out of preemie sizes and into 0-3's. although each company seems to have a different idea of what a 0-3 is supposed to be! she's wearing size 1 dipes finally, but they practically come up to her armpits so i call them her Urkel pants

we left our camera up at his friend's house so i'm going nuts not having new pics to post! it's getting mailed to us.

Thanksgiving was 20 people in an all-day foodfest and also we played Cranium late into the night. Willow slept best when it was noisiest!

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

Old 11-29-2004, 02:19 PM

Wow. I'm impressed that some of your gals' toddlers are going to bed by themselves. I'm really hoping to get Alias into the routine of drifting off to sleep on his own in the new year. It would be a nice break not having to juggle two kids' bed time routines (Alias heads off to bed in the middle of Harrison's night time scream fest). Meli, your Willow sleeping best when it was super noisy reminded me of Alias. Alias has always had the remakable ability to crash in the most incredibly loud situations. We took him to a fire works festival when he as 1. Music blaring, crowds cheering, not to mention the tremendous explosions over head, and my little guy passes out in my arms ten minutes in. Slept thru the rest of the half hour and also during the mass exodus as 100,000 people all left the beach as one. Yup, my boy can fall asleep anywhere and sleep thru anything. So, lucky for me, Harrison's crying during bedtime has never kept Alias from falling asleep.

ekatherina - Sorry to read about the mastitis. I've had it once and it is truly a miserable experience. Take care of yourslef and rest up for the next week.

Wow, my hats off to you Kimberly! Four boys under five and you are able to find the time to work at home! You truly are SuperMom. And hope you and Dh had a happy anniversary.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:23 PM

Hello Everyone
I hope you are all well!!

Things here are pretty much the same.. gassy baby.. gassy baby.. gassy baby. But she doesn't seem too bothered by it. It mostly keeps ME up at night because I hear her grunts and get kicked :LOL Ahh well..
? on poops. Hers are usually a yellow.. though they turn green in the diaper pail? And there is some mucus, I think.. is that normal or is this an indication of a food sensitivity already?? Oiy vey

Other than that.. DS is hooked on the song Jingle Bells. I will not want to hear it again for a long time after a day or two.. he plays in constantly on his CD player :LOL

Take care

Chantal
Old 11-29-2004, 02:33 PM

chantal, ella's poops are slightly mucusy (sp?) as well. and she's pretty gassy. we've started using the gas drops (mylecon, or the offbrand works too) and they seem to help quite a bit. sometimes they make her spitup though. i actually have to hold her over the sink just in case. i've tried cutting back on dairy and it seems to help. i don't want to eliminate it yet, (it's a big part of my diet) but i am worried that she's sensitive to it. we go to see her ped in a week so i'll ask about it then.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM

Oh I forgot that I wanted to ask who here is using vitamin D drops? I am not now but I'm thinking about it. Mostly because Harrison is not getting as mush sun as I'd like, it's been pretty rainy and gloomy. And I remember hearing about some new research that's being done that may connect a lack of vitamin D with some neurological disorders like MS. It seems that MS rates are higher in areas that get really low amounts of sunlight. Anyway, just wondering who's using the vit. D drops and if anyone knows of a reason not to give them to babe.
Old 11-29-2004, 03:16 PM

Emily slept for 5 straight hours last night. My body was in shock at getting that much sleep in one stretch! Of course, both breasts were beyond overflowing. I never knew I could spray that far....lol.
Yesterday she was having a nurse for comfort stretch and I was getting sore. So...I dug out one of the pacis that she hasn't taken in a month and popped it in. She was all content, but I hated seeing the plastic in her mouth, so I took it out and popped her back on the breast. Sigh.
I had something else I wanted to say, but I can't remember...mommy brain strikes again.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:00 PM

nak

sucky day here for me. Took Duncan to the ped for a weight check and he lost 2 oz in 2 weeks. He was 8lbs 9 oz at birth and now he's 8. I've been taking Domperidone since day 1 because of my history of supply issues and I thought things were going well. Duncan certainly has enough pee and poopy diapers but he's not gaining. It's so frustrating that my body doesn't work right. I'm jealous of all you moms that have lots of milk and chubby babies. and to top it off, we both have thrush. my left nipple is on fire! and of course my kids have been difficult today. I was looking forward to taking them to Barnes & Noble to play with the Thomas the train set and sipping a nice decaf coffee myself, but their behavior this morning doesn't warrant a treat. just one of those days...
Old 11-29-2004, 04:10 PM

mik on one side

susan I dont want u to be discouraged! my pracitice (family) has an LC.You? How about help from LLL? don't give up!

shopping for a pouch mine *is* too small.

eta mamas about my pic. I hate taking pics. when the cam comes out I .

Old 11-29-2004, 04:24 PM

Susan- re: supply
have you tried taking alfalfa? i took it before getting pregnant and my mw warned me that it will seriously increase my milk so i should be careful to not take a lot while first starting out. did i listen? noooo . and i was a firehose because of it! the tablets you can find at a health food store, but i bought my own powder and made my own capsules. they both work though. another herb is fenugreek, but you have to take so much it makes you smell like it :
if you try either one let me know how it works!

ETA: alfalfa will make you poop green, but that's ok
Old 11-29-2004, 04:44 PM

nak

susan, sorry about the supply issues. i am sure it will all work out

my baby is gassy too, but it doesn't seem to bother her

regarding vit d, our doc gave us a prescription for it last week, haven't picked it up yet, still undecided on using it. it seems to be sunny here most days, very very cold, but still sunny. On those days we usually take a long walk, only dd's face is exposed to the sun, but I think just having the face exposed for an hour 3 days a week or so is good, but i will probably get it and give her the drops when we have a lag of lots of cloudy rainy or snowy days in a row. I know breastmilk is perfect and all, but I also think that we don't live the way the humans were "designed" to live, ya know. Our ancestors spent much more time outside and exposed to the sun and the elements so I do think it is possible that because we live in such a way that our babies get so much less sun exposure than our ancestors did, it is possible to have vit d deficiency. I am not sure yet, but I probably will get it and if several days go by and we don't get outside much than I will probably give it to her.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 11-29-2004, 04:55 PM

Thanks for the support Letia and Ashley. I have tried every herb in the past...fenugreek, blessed thistle, borage leaves, hops, alfalfa, marshmallow, but the only thing that seems to help is medication. I took reglan w/ ds and dd. I had to supplement ds starting at 6 months for failure to thrive, with dd, i was able to bf her for 17 with the help of meds, first reglan then domperidone. reglan made me severely depressed so i got off of it. I'm not ready to give up...I'm just a little peeved that nursing isn't easy for me. I plan on seeing an LC just so they can do a pre feeding weight check and a post feeding weight check to see exactly how much breastmilk he's taking in per feeding. Now if the flames will just go out on my nipples, I'd at least *feel* a liitle better. owie!
Old 11-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Susan.,..if i may ask....why would they/you think it's a supply problem if he's having lots of poopy/wet dipes...i would *think* that if it were true supply problems then his dipes would reflect that as welll......wouldn't they? a freind of mine had a FTT baby and he was formula fed....much to her dismay, he self weaned very early and had to do formula...and he was still FTT and they knew exactly how much he was taking...so what i'm saying i guess is that there may be other reasons for decrease in weight that may have nothing to do with your supply.....is this making any sense?

User Tag List