~~*October mama's*~~ - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 446 Old 11-15-2004, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I join your group even though A) I didn't post to your due date club, and B) I wasn't even due in October. I'm a regular at another forum and was due 9/29. I really like my September check-in, but my attitudes about pregnancy and labor, and now parenting style are so different that I feel a little lonely. Not to mention my "overdue" baby is the youngest by nearly 2 weeks. So I came over to MDC to see if I could find other AP moms with babies the same age.

I'm Suzanne, and my DD is Elizabeth Claire, born October 12th at 41w6d. She's very high-need, so she's always in contact with one of us. Right now, we're on the bed, she's asleep, and one arm is resting over her. (Oops. Grunting and gassing. She might not remain asleep for long.) I spoke with my father last night for the first time since the birth, and I mentioned that Eliza screams for hours a day, even in our arms. Dad: "You have to let her scream alone or she'll never learn to be independent." Uh huh. The man would have a coronary if he learned the crib my parents bought is being used only to line dry cloth diapers. I don't really have any happy memories from my childhood. All I can recall is frequent beatings with a buckled leather belt that would leave us bruised and bleeding. My daughter will only know love.

Chantal - Hi!! I had no idea you would be over here, too. I swear I'm not stalking you. I know I owe the Natural Birth check-in a birth story still, but I still feel ashamed of how everything went down.

chanale ✡, ❖bibliophile❖ ❇vegan❇ mom to diva (5½)
madly in with spiritwolf, dad to (9) & (5½)
#242 of 446 Old 11-15-2004, 08:52 PM

HI SUZANNE!!!!!

Welcome! I am a newbie here too. Everyone is very nice!

Sophia is grunty and gassy too... why??? It is driving me a little nuts.. and not letting me or her sleep much..

Last two nights have been particularly bad.. she eats.. falls asleep nursing.. so I don't wake her to burp her.. and in 45 minutes she is grunting awake.. then cries.. I burp her.. then she is wide awake.. so I nurse her to sleep and the whole cycle starts again.. I am not even getting 45 minutes of sleep at a time.. bleah...
And this is with her NEXT to me in bed.. I had not planned on co sleeping.. I have a co sleeper thingy all set up.. but if she is in that she grunts more.. so she is next to me. Which makes me nervous as we have a pillow top mattress.. and keep the house COOL so we need blankets.. and I am kind of freaking about that.. esp after someone made a comment when i asked over on the cosleeping board about pillow top mattresses.. But what am I supposed to do? Buy a new mattress? Let her scream? noooo.... argh!!!!!

Anyway.. enough of my rant.. Do check in on the Natural Birth board! No matter how "it went down".. Look at me.. I ended up with a second Section!!! Nothing natural about that and the girls there have been great about it..

Chantal
#243 of 446 Old 11-15-2004, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysmama
Does anyone else have a boy w/ hydroseal??? ie- big, swollen scrotum? You should see this thing, it is huge! Almost adult-sized! When does it go away? One dr. told us a week, one said a year...pretty big discrepancy.

these are quite common, actually...all my boys had them. and they can take awhile to go away. i think noah still had a small one on his ight side and he is almost 2.5.
#244 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 12:18 AM

About co-sleeping and the pillow top mattress.... I have to say I don't get what the big deal is. I was really worried about this (and cosleeping in general) too. But it hasn't been an issue. I put Henry to sleep on his back right between DH and I with his head at the same level as our heads, but not on a pillow. We put a baby blanket over him and then pull up the sheet and the comforter to his waist. Our house is old and chilly, too, so I bought flannel sheets and put away our big puffy down comforter and put a lighter flatter comforter on the bed. After about 10 minutes he ends up cradled in my arms anyway. Only his big cloth-diapered bubble butt touches the mattress. I find that as I fall asleep my breathing right next to his ear lulls him to sleep, too. It's so sweet. I cosleeping!!

Well I bit the bullet and ordered a KKAFP today. I'll save the Hotsling until I'm back to normal size and/or Henry gets bigger and try it again then. Or send it back to be adjusted.

OK a question for you seasoned SAHMs: How do you get anything done?!?! I'm getting nervous about DH going back to work after Thanksgiving. I spend my days holding, feeding, and changing Henry, and cannot imagine how I'll ever have time to cook and clean and get out of the house once in a while.... Even when he's asleep I still hold him. It's my favorite time. I hate putting him down and rushing around to get stuff done... Does the novelty wear off eventually?
#245 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 12:59 AM

I have to second the raves for the KKAFP ... I *love love love* mine. Noah also loves being held chest to chest, it's his favorite position by far. I also used mine with Ethan when he was quite a big & heavy toddler, so it's well worth the investment, in my NSHO

Big scrotums ... yup, both of my boys were/are like this too. DH was so impressed with Ethan *lol* ... this time around he knows it's just temporary and he's not gloating about it as much :LOL

Getting things done ... well, the one thing (outside of caring for my boys) I feel crappy about if I don't manage to do is get dinner together. Often it's all set out and half assembled/cooked and I'm on the couch nursing the baby when DH comes home ... but at least it's all prepped and ready to be thrown together. I manage this by working on it in chunks throughout the day. I chop veggies when I have five minutes here, do other prep when baby is happily zonked out in the sling, etc. etc. Everything else household wise is hit or miss. Some days are better than others, and I manage to get things tidied up and have dinner ready to go and have happy children ... other days I pull something out of the freezer at noon and the house looks like a tornado hit it when DH comes home. Fortunately *he* doesn't care one way or another ... it's really just whatever expectations I put on myself, and I'm trying to be gentle on myself for the time being.

Kind of relevent, but man has Noah been extra needy lately. It seems like if he's awake, he's not really happy He's not all out screaming ... but fussy and grunty and crying on and off, and nothing really obviously helping. Some things help for a bit, but then he's upset again and it's back to trial and error. He doesn't seem to be as gassy as he had been, well ... he's still gassy, but he doesn't seem to be in as much discomfort from it, so I don't think it's that. A friend mentioned silent reflux, and of course I went and read too much about it and now I'm trying not to freak out. It just doesn't seem right for him to be unhappy 85% of the time he's awake, does it? But when I think of reflux babies, I think of hysterical, unconsolable babies ... and that's not Noah either. *sigh*
#246 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 AM

Cosleeping...well, I guess I do that, I want to share my bed with her. The other night tho, dh woke up and looked in the crib and she wasn't there b/c she was in bed between us because I was nursing on the right side. The cover was *over* her though! : It scared me sooooooooo bad. I felt horrible! What if she would have died! Now, I sit up in bed to nurse, which leaves even *less* sleep for mama and who wasn't coping well the last couple nights because of it. She only wants to be close to her mama and looking in the crib now makes me sad b/c I want her in bed with me now, and not in the crib. Not only for the selfish reason I orignally wanted to cosleep, to give *me* more sleep. I want her close to me too. I have Peggy's new book and I pulled an old issue of Mothering I had about cosleeping and thinking about Mckennas material. I'm on a quest to make the bed safe for her. I *thought* I remembered keeping the covers at *your* waist, which is what I did and would pull them up when I would come too later and put her down in her crib; which is why dh looked there first. One of us pulled them up. From what I've read, and if I remember, the rec was to put baby on the outside of mama b/c she's more aware. I wonder if dh pulled them up. He has concerns about my awareness, he thinks I don't remember that she's there b/c I keep moving my breast. I just know I want my baby close to me and she wants to be close to me and I've got to make it safe for her.

well, back to reading email and all.

dh goes back to work tomorrow. he had 3 wks paternity and she's 3 wks, (can you believe *that*!!!!), tomorrow....
#247 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 12:30 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes. I didn't intend to post and run but came down with that not so fun mastitis and am feeling like dirt right now. I alternate between fevers and freezing and then sweating until I am drenched. : Ah well, it too shall pass lol.
I have co-slept with all my kids(haven't even owned a crib lol). Griffon at the current time likes to sleep on my chest. When he wakes to eat I just lay him to the side, nurse, then roll him back on top of me.Of course this makes him spit up on me occasionally(not a fun way to come to full waking).It's funny because he is 5 weeks already and I am still in total love with his newness.I am always being teased at church because of how enamored I am with my kiddos. I doubt it will ever go away.
How to get things done after dh goes back...use a crockpot! I swear by mine, I am able to prepare a healthy dinner with minimal work. Wear baby while you do housework if at all possible. I lay Griffon in a makeshift Moses basket (aka a laundry basket with pillows lining it )when he naps so I can get things done easier.The most important thing though is not to stress about it. It definately takes getting used to and you WILL hit a groove eventually. PLus the feeling of accomplishment that first day you are home alone and "do it" is amazing.
#248 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 12:38 PM

My little baby has a foot fungus!!!!!! I am just baffled. I noticed on Wednesday that his toes were all linty (at least I thought it was lint at the time) so I cleaned out between those cute little toes. Then on Saturday I noticed that his big toe nails were looking kinda weird. By Sunday his big toes looked funky and there was a lot more fuzz between his toes. So first thing Monday I took him in to our family doctor and had confirmed what I already knew, Harrison has a foot fungus! My guy can't even roll over by himslef but he has a foot fungus. My docotor said he could've picked it up from our cats, the spores can live in their fur without affecting the cats and then when they brush up against Harrison... And because it's cooler out we've pretty much always have Harrison in socks so his feet haven't had much opportunity to air out. And maybe I haven't been washing his feet as well as I should. Anyway, supposedly foot fungus in newborns is very rare and not that big a deal. I have a topical cream to put on his feet twice a day. No more socks until it's all cleared up (actually I'm throwing all of his socks away). And I'll definatly be a lot more vgilant about keeping his feet clean. But it is very distressing to see my perfect little baby's toes infected by a fungus. Ugh! By all accounts it in no way reflects my parenting skills but I still fell like a terrible terrible mommy.

Other than that Harrison is doing great! He was also measured and weighed while we were at the doctors and Harrison is 12 pounds already! My little nurse-aholic is in the 90th percentile for weight and height. Although I already suspected as much since he dosen't fit in 0-3 month clothes at all.

I have my very last midwife appointment today (they stay with you until 6 weeks post pardum). It's kind of sad to have to be saying good bye to my midwives. They were such a big part of my life for the last 10 months or so. They were so wonderful and supportive during Harrison's birth. I remeber feeling this way about the midwife I had with Alias' birth and how bonded I felt to her. I swore I was going to keep in touch with her but of course I lost track of her.

Forgot to welcome the new mommas who have joined us. :
#249 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 01:17 PM

Poor Harrison...I hope it clears up quickly for him, and kudos to you for catching it so quickly. I would have thought that the socks would be good(?) Learn something new everyday.
#250 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 02:26 PM

Welcome to the newcomers! I have been MIA (but lurking) so long that you guys will probably think I'm a newcomer myself :LOL

About the hotslings....I am with you (OK, how come we heard such rave reviews before we bought them and now there are so many of us that can't get it right??)...mine seems too tight too so what I've actually been doing is not folding it in half like it says but just putting it on open and having a much bigger pouch to put Oakley in. He doesn't seem to like the craddle hold much either and I've actually had him upright in it, holding him with one hand but still having one arm free. I'm too cheap to buy another sling and would feel guilty if I didn't use this one b/c my mom bought it for me, so I am really hoping that when he is bigger we like the hip carry.

Mirthfulmum- sorry to hear about Harrison's foot fungus...don't blame yourself I am sure it doesn't have to do with wiping his feet....at least I hope not, I haven't even used soap on Oakley yet aside from the shampoo that ends up in the bathwater when I wash his hair.

Nancy- IMO the house can wait, Henry will only be a baby once. You will find time to accomplish some things but try to let go of guilt because you will never get as much done as you once did. Maybe you can give the house a good clean every weekend when your Dh is home and then just try to maintain it as much a possible through the week. You will feel better if you concentrate on chores that you can involve the baby in, for example yesterday I had Oakley lying down on the bed and was talking/singing to him while folding laundry and either let your Dh handle cleaning the bathrooms, etc. or do it when he's home. HTH.

So DH is leaving today until Sun. so I will be solo with the kids. I was gonna stay with my parents and enjoy a little mini holiday (you know, let them do the cooking and the cleaning for me ) but Ember just wants to stay home so I guess I will have to be a real adult :LOL Wish me well
#251 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 02:48 PM

Ok Hotsling mamas sounds like there needs to be a thread at babywearing!
I've been emailing Kristen about the fit of mine to help me. She asked about the fabric and send a diagram of how to measure. Dh did it and then I guess we may not have done it right b/c she was confused and asked if she could call me. Maybe some of the babywearing mamas can give us some insight too.

I'm *not* happy about thinking of mama's wedding this weekend w/o a sling.

If we decide to start one say it here so we can go over and check it out.

Well, that WAHM made an even *more* beautiful dipe and now I have this one....I think *I* might start my first tp thread so I can get this one!
#252 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 03:19 PM

just wanted to check in with you ladies now that I officially have a baby in my arms! nak. Duncan is 1 week old today and life with 3 kids so far has been really great. Aidan just adores the baby and Fiona is warming up to him. She's been acting more 2-ish this past week, but I think she/we will be ok. I am totally in love with the new little man in my life. I could sit and just nuzzle my nose in his soft downy hair all day. I forgot just how tough (and tediously slow) nak'ing is! I've been working on Duncan's birth story and hopefully later today I'll be able to post it. Gotta run.
#253 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 03:52 PM

Sorry to hear about Harrison's infection. Hope it goes away soon!

Get things done...well just this morning my mil was saying how she doesn't know how I get things done since I am bfing since she always would prop a bottle up against a towel so she could get things done. It made me so sad. I am going to give dh an extra hug when he gets home tonight. I explained that E was only going to be this small once and the dishes will wait. I have been using my sling a lot more. She is getting used to it and will usually fall asleep. I try to take advantage of every little moment...wipe down the bathroom sink when I am in there, the toilet next time etc...Keep the kitchen sink filled with hot water so you can wipe stuff down if you're there and keep dishes on soak until you can load dishwasher or wash them. Etc...

E slept for 4 hours straight last night!!! Oh happy day...errrr...night.
#254 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 PM

Ok, I think I figured out my hotsling...and I really like it now. It may help that I've lost 10 pounds since I tried it last. What made it work better for me was moving the seam (the biggest part of the pouch) a little more around to the front of me. Not totally front, but front / right. And for a cradle hold - I put his feet and butt mainly in the seam part and the rest of him is kind of upright. I just don't try and shove his head all the way down into the pouch, cause he's too big. So he's kinda looking out with just a little fabric on the side of his head. Also I tried a tummy-to-tummy carry (upright) with the seam all the way in the front, and that worked well. The upright cradle hold is really cool though, I could do that with both hands free.

Mirthful- I feel the same way as you about my midwife. Our 6 week ck-up is in about 3 wks, and I'm so sad just thinking about it. I really want to get her and her assist. some kind of gift- but I just dont know what. It's like no gift would do justice to what they did for me. And sorry about the foot fungus!

Amie- good luck with your solo time! And when do we get to see pics of Oakley? Or did I miss them somewhere?

Momadance- just wanted to say I have to do the same thing as you re: nursing from one side for 4-5 hours until they FINALLY get some hindmillk. He'll puke if I don't

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#255 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 04:44 PM

Good luck Amie on doing it alone!! I am sure you will be fine. Although I miss my dh when he isn't home, I always take the opportunity when he won't be home for dinner to just make popcorn for dinner or something lazy like that. LOL

Regarding getting things done, what I have found is that I find an acceptable level of cleanliness and then get a rountine going to get that done. For example, I feel much better if I get the toys and everything off the floors and things generally straightened up, no dirty dishes in the sink. So, I make a point of keeping things as neat and straightened as possible and just do little things when I get a chance and keep up with it. I make sure everyone hangs their coats up as soon as we come in, and dirty dishes get immediatly put in the dishwasher, I deal with the mail as soon as I pick it up, that type of thing.

Sorry to hear about Harrison's infection.

Letia, regarding co-sleeping, I think co-sleeping in and of itself is safer and your mommy instincts WILL kick in if something is seriously wrong. Like if the cover over your baby had actually been hurting her or keeping her from breathing, I have no doubt you would have woken up and known and fixed it right away. I was super nervous about it with DD1 as well, but eventually I just thought that I was sooo close to and attached to her that I KNEW I would know if she stopped breathing or something was wrong. What we do to make it safer, if sleep in warmer clothes ourselves (sweatshirts and sweatpants), so we don't need blankets. If you are worried about covers, just have you and DH sleep in warmer clothes and forgo the blankets. I also only let her sleep next to me and on the outside, and we have our mattress on the floor so even if she were to fall off it is only about 6 inches to the floor.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

#256 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 PM

Is it too late for another newcomer? My daughter Elizabeth was born 10/30. We just made October. My due date was 10/22. If she had gone into November, I don't know what I would have done!

It's been a long time since I've had a baby in the house! My older kids have been a big help, but my stamina has been tested this week. Two of my kids came down with this fever/sore throat/vomiting virus. Of course, all vomiting must take place between 1AM and 5AM. I think that's a law. I've been on germ patrol all week. I think as long as I'm OK, Lizzie is OK. The benefits of breastmilk!

Personal question: What kind of bras do you ladies sleep in? I can't seem to keep nursing pads in place at night, and I wake up sour and sticky with wet sheets every morning. There's gotta be a better way.
#257 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 PM

nak
Raye! et al who I didn't. my sleep bra

Amelia
#258 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 PM

About the baby wearing...

I use my hotsling frequnetly when we go out. Like Courtney, I have the pocket part in the front. I line the seam up with the inside of my breast. I then fold the fabric on my shoulder in half. The fold in the fabric makes a head rest so that Harrison's head isn't lost in fabric and it keeps him positioned mre up right. I put him in head first (so that I can line his head up with my heart/breast) and then slide his bum into the pocket part. It's worked pretty well for us so far but he hates it when I stop moving, therefore it's only used when we're out and about. I have another fabulous sling system (check it out if you want) that I use for a nuzelle hold and for moving about the house when he's sleeping. He sleeps much better upright then on his back. And it's way easier to get Harrison in and out of.

Another new commer! The more the merrier. RBinTEX
#259 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM

So can I still stay with you guys even though Colbey is a Nov babe?
Wanted to reinforce what was said about the pillow top mattress and co-sleeping-just put them on their back or side propped and have them up by your head and they'll be fine. Unless you have a mattress or waterbed they sink 6 inches into they'll be fine. We put a blanket sleeper on him and then the sheets up to his waist and he's been sleeping great overall for the last 2 nights (he's only 5 days old so that's alot to me!)
He's sleeping now so it's the first time I haven't been nursing or burping him in what seems like 5 days! So finally got my birth story posted too.
So sorry to hear about Harrison's feet but at least you caught it fast and it'll be fine.
I have 3 Hotslings in various sizes but haven't tried them yet-now you all are worrying me they won't work. Will have to try them out later!
Have my Dh home most of this week except for a few hrs this morning and Thurs morning then my parents come next Wed for the holiday and stay until Mon. Hopefully we'll all be pretty well adjusted after that since Dh will be back to work full time and the 3 and 6 yr old will be needing more of my time. I'm sure it will all be fine but my 3 yr old is definitely going thru some "hold me" issues-like all day! DH and I keep saying "what were we thinking having 3 kids?" :LOL
Take care
Ann
Hopefully will be able to keep up now...we'll see.

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#260 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 PM

hihi to the new mamas n babes

Willow had her best day yet today, i'm guessing she went through a growth spurt for a few days and is sleeping it off today only fussed for a lil bit here and there ... yesterday i had been thinking colic, she was getting so purple-faced. bottle feeding is still awful to me, my breasts have already pretty much dried up and that's making me sad as well. poor lil babe can't suck on a Nuk nipple for some reason, she seals the hole somehow and nothing comes out. the Avent nipples i got with a breastmilk storage/bottle kit are the newborn size but flow so fast she chokes and sputters. so i end up using the plain nipples that came with the bottles, they're a bit fast but they're also so narrow i worry it's not good for her jaw. damn this is so frikkin' complicated, i miss the breast, it was free and custom-made for her! but i am so functional now i can't even imagine not having the meds that work.

i wanna be a WAHM but i wonder when i'll have the time! today when she slept and played quietly alert so much, i finally caught up on cleaning up the piles of crap around here and cooking some decent food. no sling that works for me so i put her in a lil bouncy chair and move it to wherever i'm doing stuff and sing to her i've got 10 projects in the works so i can work from home again but no idea how to get anything done, so it's all on the backburner. how do WAHMs do it??

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

#261 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 08:35 PM

Hello
SLeeping bra: I use one by Duo I got at JC Penny with DS. but they don't carry them anymore. Leading Lady sells some and someone suggested I look in Motherhood for some too.. It is like a really loose sports bra.. snug enough tohold the nursing pads but loose enough to wip out the boob to nurse at night.
Getting things done.. I second the sling or carrier.. Its the only way things get done here.. DD is becoming "addicted" to beind held.. I have yet to figure out a nap time where I can put her down. I don't mind too much.. but there are moments where I /do/ need to put her down....oiy!
Midwife gift.. I have my6 week next week.. and even though my MW ended up not being able to deliver DD.. she stayed with me the whole time anyway. So I wanted to get something special. I got my midwife a nice set of Woodstock Windchimes, they are made here in this area, and some Fall crocus bulbs to plant.. they will bloom around the time when I had DD and she can think of us.. if she wants
I am also putting together a gift basket for the office with some home made salsa, chips, healthy snacks etc... as a thank you.

So, DD is a month old.. and has started to nurse rapidly.. ie 5 minutes.. sometimes 10.. It is freaking me out!!! DS did this and his poops turned green and swampy and he was a miserable child with gas etc.. I don't want to repeat that!!
DD is also SO gassy.. but she doesn't complain by crying. Just grunts so LOUD and mostly at night.. no one is getting much sleep...sigh

Chantal
#262 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 PM

:nana:

Thanks for the suggestions! I posted a pic on the yahoo site of me and Henry in our Hotsling. It seems so simple now. First, I flipped it so that the leg padding is on the outside. Big difference for some reason. Then I folded the upper part that goes over my shoulder in half again (so it's four layers), then put it on. Finally, moved the seam to right below the inside edge of my breast. Dropped Henry in butt first. He folded up his legs yoga-style and his head is supported by the extra fold at the shoulder. His head is a little twisted to one side, but I think he likes it that way, since that's the reason we needed a Cesarean!

Letia, thanks for the link to the nighttime bra! They're so cheap! I just spent a small fortune on Bravada bras and I don't like them. : Helllloooo bravada bra makers... women don't have three hands, so don't make your bras with snaps! It is impossible to hold Henry and get the bra open and closed at the same time. Grrr.

OK how do I get snot out of my babe's nose? I try using the bulb suction thingy from the hospital and not only does it not get them but he gets sooo mad when I poke him in the nostril. Can I just ignore boogers and hope they work themselves out somehow? Sorry for TMI. He's not super-snotty, but he is snoring a bit...
#263 of 446 Old 11-16-2004, 10:11 PM

Yay Nancy, glad you got it figured out! I was really excited for myself as well, it does seem simple now. The pics are so cute! I was thinkin' about posting pics of us and our hotsling as well.
To clear the nose out it's a good idea to put some saline drops in each nostril first (esp. if the boogadies are dry). That makes it easy to suck 'em out. Then make sure the tip of the bulb syringe is at an angle...sort of half touching one side of the nostril on the inside. If you've got saline in there, it'll suck that out and bring out whatever else is in there too. Zander's got something in his nose too, but I haven't gotten around to suctioning, since he can still breath (and I'm lazy). I remember the nightmare of trying to suction a 10 month old who was full of snot and sick. Enjoy it now while it's easy and they can't fight back

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

#264 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 12:26 AM

holdin Mik b/c I didnt have the success yall did.

Nancy, you look great!

I just finished reading a cosleeping safety checklist from an old issue and makin dh dress in sweats, took his pillow and made him take off the headboard. he still wants in.
#265 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

This is so funny, I figured my hotsling out yesterday! I've used it on 2 lengthy outings now.... Mines not padded. It's funny how it just clicked.

Reeds doing awesome Lifes good. Not much else to throw in...

Oh sleep bra's. I sleep shirtless. I have this fear of dozing off while nursing in the bed (which I do) and a shirt suffocating him. I'm going to have to pad the bed with towels though, cuz we're swimming in the am.
#266 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Oh nancy you do look great! We have the same hotsling!

Gave Reed his first massage. I think he was digging it!
#267 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 02:41 AM

Nancy, you do look great!

It makes me think....we all posted "Before Baby" belly shots...any brave enough to post an "After"??? :LOL Not I!
#268 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 02:41 AM

Thanks! We tried the hotsling and took the pictures right when I got back from my hour long massage. Ahhhh..... wish I could do that everyday!

After belly shots.... No thanks! I managed to go 38 weeks without stretchmarks, and then whammo! right at the end they all showed up. It's like I've got a map of the Finger Lakes region of NY tattooed between my bellybutton and the incision.

So does anyone else's skin ache? I realized today that it's not inside that hurts, it's my skin! Where the stretchmarks are it is really sensitive to the touch. Weird.
#269 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 02:55 AM

Mirthfulmum: so sorry to hear about Harrison's foot fungus. kind of freaked me out too, because I ALWAYS have socks on Sasha, 24/7, becuase his little feet and hands are always so cold (he gets that from me!). I'll be sure to check his toes carefully more often.

I was gonna tell you pouch wearin' mamas about putting the seam towards the front, but you guys seem to have figured it out, lol!

sleep bras: I love my motherwear ones (link that letia gave)... i, too, don't care much for my bravados...it took time but I can now snap t hem up with one hand but it is NOT easy!

sasha has snotty nose too...i ditto what court said (esp. about enjoying it before they can fight back!) - and you can use bm instead of saline, i express a few drops onto a q-tip until its soaked then dab on each nostril.

well, that's it for now. i'm so tired - had a rough night last night. sasha was gassy so we were up a few times, then dd woke at four am and didn't want to stay in bed. i ended up nursing them both in turns, felt like i was rocking in a boat, shift to one side and nurse, then shift to the other side and nurse, one kid on each side of me. ugh!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#270 of 446 Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 AM

Welcome RBinTEX

Thanks for the tip about folding the shoulder on the hotsling I will try that tomorrow and I will also make sure that I have the seam towards the front, after I check out Nancy's pic to be sure I've got it right! I am excited about wearing it out tomorrow.

Court- I'd love to post a pic of Oakley (and AWW how sweet of you to ask ) but I have to wait for our digital camera to get fixed....the darn thing packed in a week before he was born if you can believe it : At least it's still under warranty.

Co-sleeping....we still use our pillows, one each no extra ones and comforter. I sleep towards Oakley with my arm above his head so that if Dh's pillow were to happen to move it would find me first and I usually have my arm over his tummy too to make sure the blanket doesn't rise. It can make for some soreness :LOL but it's a small price to pay. I do usually have the cover on Oakley up to his waist...I agree with Amelia about the M.I.

I just realized how long it's been since I checked out the pics so I am off to take a look at everyone's babies

Oh and Nancy, I like my Bravado but I don't bother with the snaps, I just pull it down under my breast because I am too lazy.

I feel sad about the midwife visits coming to an end soon too, I wish she could be my Dr. I too have been searching for a perfect gift...what can I possibly give to someone who IMO saved my sons and possilbly my life...or at the very least saved him from damage?? I did find some jewellery I like and was thinking maybe of tieing a necklace around a plant? I'd love to find some birthing goddess sculptures in my pricerange but I don't think that is going to happen. Here are a couple things I am trying to decide between, maybe you guys can tell me what you think. The one I am leaning towards is the Birthing Goddess Spiral of Eternal Life pendant but I like the fertility earing too. http://www.twinklelittlestar.com/fertilityjewelry.html And then there is also these earings or necklace that I could pick Oakley's birthstone on. http://www.labelledame.com/pregnancy-jewelry.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page