~~*October mama's*~~ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2004, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well! They've arrived and here we are! How's everyone adjusting to life with a babe? Pretty blissed out myself. Watching my 2 boys together makes my heart feel so full

I wonder if we should stick to our roll call status and do a weekly thread? Where's Piglet when ya need her~!

Or we could stay over in the due date area! Up to ya'll!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 07:04 AM

naww, its time we got something going here!

nak...how are nights? sasha wakes about every 2 hours. often we get one 4 hour stretch, tho not last night! :yawn but the night before it was 2 four hour bits and i felt like a million bucks!! just woke from what was probably 3 hours...heading back to bed now. overall i'd say nights are good and "normal". looking forward to him dropping a feed tho, lol

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 10-29-2004, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

Nights! Reed falls asleep around 12:00 (although last night it was around 9) and gets up to nurse every 4 hours or so (and a diaper change) and then get's up for a wakeful period at around 9am I'm super thankful about this! And loving it. I do understand it can all change so I'm cherishing it. The only concern I have is diapers! His long stretches seem like a long time to sleep in a dirty one. But I'm certainly not going to wake myself, and him up to change! I ordered some polar babies fleece topped liners to keep the pee off his skin. MIles sleep's from about 9:30 till 9:00.

It's funny because the wakeful periods Reed has corelate with his active times in utero.

I really need to learn to spell
Old 10-29-2004, 01:45 PM

NAK

I'm with you momadance... I've been having it easy when it comes to nights . Alias goes to bed at 7pm and is asleep by 8. Harrison has his wakeful night period from around 7:30 (he always wakes up at the end of story time) 'till about 9:30/10pm. And then he only wakes up 2 or 3 times to nurse, and since he's a pro at nursing lying down, and very courteous to only grunt when hungry so not to wake his brother, I usually get a decent sleep. There are nights when both boys wake up at the same time and then I'm stuck in some strange and painful contortion trying to nurse Harrison and snuggle Alias back to sleep. But those nights are not the norm. I am very very lucky.

And thanks for getting this thread started momadance!
Old 10-29-2004, 01:49 PM

Oh I have a question... What is baby oil for? I never used it with Alias and a friend of mine gave me the Burt's Bees baby sampler pack for Harrison. Great stuff but I have no idea what to do with the baby oil.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Maybe you could use it for massage? Bet baby would love that!
Willow is pretty good at night too. She wakes up fairly frequently, but she took to side lying nursing right away and latches really eaily. Sometimes she will latch on, completely on her own!
I never wake a sleeping baby for a diaper, lol! I'm thinking of making some fleece diaper liners. If my arms are ever free long enough to sew that is!

kathy::
Old 10-29-2004, 05:01 PM

nak...

i've been lucky w/ nights so far too ... Noah is sleeping for 4 hr stretches too ... usually going down around 9, 9:30ish, waking ~1 and then again ~5. Sometimeeps s he stays awake from ~5-7, sometimes he sleeps thru till 8 or 9. E. usually wakes around 8, so it's nice when N is still asleep to get some one on one cuddles w/ eman.
The only bummer is that suddenly Noah doesn't like to nurse side lying ... so I have to sit up and hold him to get him to latch. No biggie, but I enjoyed that first week where he was happy to nurse laying down.

wow, nak is s...l...o..w... *lol*
Old 10-29-2004, 05:37 PM

nak..

our nights haven't been too bad either. DD1 has started going to sleep with daddy, so that makes it easier on me. Usually I take DD2 to bed around 7:30 (when DD1 is allowed to watch her nightly video (that is the only time she is allowed to watch). DD2 and I fall asleep and DD1 falls asleep with daddy after watching the video. Sometimes DD1 wakes up at night and comes into bed with me, and I snuggle her back to sleep. I have no idea how often DD2 wakes up to nurse, but I think it is fairly often. She has a really good latch as well and is great at nursing lying down, so it doesn't disturb me to much. She can also latch on herself often. I usually feel pretty rested in the morning, but by 8:00, I am ready to crash! :LOL

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Old 10-29-2004, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

My "little" 8day old has gained.....12 oz! Holy smokes he's a biggy!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:21 PM

Willow's wakes and sleeps correspond with her in-the-belly patterns also. her longest stretch of sleep is from midnight to 4am, another long one around 1-4pm. other than that it seems random, 2 hour naps. when i get my ability to sleep back, i'm going to get a lot of naps with her! i can't think of anything sweeter than napping curled up around the baby

i got some Burt's Bees baby oil as a gift also, i've used it to give her a tummy, leg and foot massage a few times, she loves it.

i'm so glad to see an October mamas folder!

quickie questions: with thrush, do i have to wash the nystatin cream off my breasts before a feeding? i did a web search but found articles on both sides of the issue. i'm washing everything like crazy, not sure if need to actually boil things like the binky? i was so surprised earlier, Willow loved the nystatin suspension! licked her lips and smiled *lol*

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

Old 10-30-2004, 03:07 AM

I've had a variety of experiences with sleep; last night I had 2 four-hour stretches of sleep which was fantastic. I haven't tried side-lying nursing yet - still a bit afraid of sleeping with Kennedy next to me - to date she always sleeps on my chest (which we both love). Plus, I'm having a helluva time adapting to the nursing bit, so we've been using a nipple shield which negates the ability to nurse while half asleep. I have an appt with a lactation consultant tomorrow morning to see what's causing the nipple cracking and soreness. sigh.
Old 10-30-2004, 05:43 AM

wow, all you side nursing mamas! ds can't latch on himself so i need to be able to see and there is no light in our room so i have to get up most of the time. we are getting better tho and have done it a few times. but he is also always sopping wet so i have to change him (i agree if they sleep don't change them, lol).

dd now goes to bed around 9 or 10, even with no nap. she used to go down around 730 but that all changed when dh took over bedtime. now even if i try to nurse her down it won;t work until later. so that kind of sucks.i used to enjoy quiet evenings of me time but by the time dd is down im exhausted and go to bed too.

beansmama: hope you can resolve your nipple issues!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 10-30-2004, 12:29 PM

Piglet: Willow can't latch on by herself yet either, so no side-lying here. i'm wondering at what age a small baby learns to latch on by herself? that'll be heaven!

i slept last night 4 hours with ambien. Willow is already looking and acting much happier, if momma is ok she's ok and i have a friend from NH coming down next week to stay with us a week or two and help out, she's a wonderful soul, very wise, like a village elder woman. i know she'll be a good influence on us! then a friend from Canada is coming in December to stay through the holidays! my life is funny, i have a ton of friends but we all met online and live far away. i didn't dream they'd want to travel here until i sent out a call for help. that'll teach me to be so stoic, bah. anyway, i'm looking forward to spending the rest of the day napping in bed with Willow, my husband is getting his sleep right now then the bed is ours the rest of the day

Old 10-30-2004, 03:08 PM

Levi can't nurse in any other position but clutch (football hold) right now. We're learning. It's hard to get it down! So, we get up at night, too - and go to the couch. The past couple nights he has slept 3-4 hours, eaten, and then slept another couple of hours. Not too bad.

He is such a booby addict! I can barely even hold him without him wanting to nurse. I think the smell of milk drives him nuts and he wants it! When dh holds him, he is fine, just happy and content and looking around. But pass him to me, and he goes crazy - rooting like a little milk piggy!!!

He is such a snuggler, too. He will sleep for hours if he is on you or against you, but wakes up really easily and crankily if I put him down anywhere.

I am doing so-so. I hurt my incision last night getting out of bed with Levi, and it started bleeding a bit, and my lochia increased, as did my pain. My house is really messy, and I have been spending the entire day and night on the couch in my pajamas nursing. It's getting a little depressing. But I don't feel like I can go anywhere, cause we can only nurse in the clutch hold with lots of pillows! How can I NIP that way??? Tomorrow we plan to go to my Grandma's for Trick-or-Treat, so that will be our first outing, and I am so nervous about whipping out these jugs in front of all the relatives.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:38 PM

Meli - Aren't friends wonderful! Happy to read you'll be getting some extra support.

Katie - Sorry to read about your trouble with your healing. But you should see my place... it's a complete disaster and I don't have a c-section to heal from to keep me from picking up.

Here's how I get Harrison to latch in the middle of the night while we're both on our sides half asleep:

I line his face up with my breast (which he's usually situated pretty close to). I pull him in close. Hold my brest and put my finger right on my nipple so that I know where it is. Then I put my finger and nipple in his mouth (I can feel where his mouth is with my finger). Then I pull my finger out leaving my nipple in his mouth. Works pretty much every time.

Hope this helps some of you.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:15 PM

Susan, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time w/ nursing Hoping the LC has lots of help for you!!

oh Meli, I'm so glad your friends are going to be able to help you out. What a relief that must be to you and DH! And yay for getting some sleep s

Noah can't exactly latch on by himself, but I can still kind of hold the boob and help him latch when we're side lying ... *if* he's cooperative ... which he hasn't been lately. Oh well...

Katie, sorry to hear about your incision ... I had a few episodes of bleeding from my incision, and at first it really freaked me out ... I called the nurses at the hospital to ask if I needed to call my doctor, and they reassured me that unless I couldn't get it to stop it was no biggie. ~~speedy healing vibes~~ to you, sweetie!

I love the "attack the boob" drill that Noah does ... it makes me laugh every time ... as soon as I pull my shirt up he lunges at the breast and rubs his face around on it and pats at it and makes little piggy sounds ... when he finally latches on he lets out the biggest sigh of contentment and goes to town sucking. It's just so funny and sweet
Old 10-31-2004, 06:40 AM

mirthful, thats how we do it too, but he makes such loud piggy snorting noises, lol, if we don't get it fairly quickly i get up so we don't wake dd...

katie, i can't beleive you are trying to go med free! i had no pain with dd while on my meds, but this time with a toddler around i had more pain. still stopped meds at about 2 weeks post-partum. don't try to be a hero - you earned that status already with your birth! you can't heal as awell if you are in lots of pain!

Old 10-31-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, this little man wets alot!!!

I keep a candle lit in the bedroom to kind of see how to latch Reed properly in the night. It makes our room smell yummy and very cozy as well. Side lying nursing is heaven.

So how are all our wee ones adjusting to their younger siblings? Miles is taking his job as big bro very He has been amazing... I'm so relieved. I was pretty sure it be no biggy, but there's always that concern in the back of your mind. Bedtime with the both of them has been fairly easy as well. That was my major concern. It may take longer now, but I'm snuggling to beautiful boys!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:53 PM

i've been trying not to overreact and stress out on top of everything else, but since Wed. Willow has not been able to feed very well. i've been nursing her more often, i thought that would make up for it. yesterday she kept showing hunger cues even a minute after a feeding! i called the LLL leader and she suggested to just keep feeding often and pump after a feeding to see if i can get additional milk to let down, try to fool my body into thinking the baby is demanding more so i'll make more milk. i'm well hydrated. eating as much as i can stomach. i slept another 4 hours last night, i don't feel rested yet but at least i'm sleeping a bit now. anyway ... all last night and this morning, Willow is nursing constantly (4 times an hour) and she still tries to suck her hand while my nipple is in her mouth! she gets rigid and thrashes her head off the nipple. i've only heard 2-3 swallows per feeding, compared to the usual 5 minutes of straight swallowing i had gotten used to. all the morning feedings so far, her mouth is actually *dry* as is my nipple, when she's done. i broke down and gave her a little pedialyte in a bottle, after i noticed how wrinkly and pale her skin is on her hands and forehead. she gulped down 1/4 oz. very quickly and then her whole body relaxed!! she looks so much better now.

i hope i did the right thing i have a call in to the ped. about it and waiting for a callback. this is scaring me that she'll need formula supplements! breastfeeding has been difficult but still my favorite part of the day, it was going pretty well so i've had a lot of hope. i don't want to lose breastfeeding her! i have no idea if she needs supplements if she'll still be able to nurse? my instinct would be to nurse her often and only supplement if she's frantically rooting or sucking her hand right after nursing. i'll know more when the ped. calls back. i just feel so heartbroken, on top of all the other stuff, now this ... and it's ironic that i finally am getting some rest, which should help with milk supply, and for some reason the supply cuts out why was it so abundant when i wasn't sleeping at all? weird.

this baby is such a joy, i don't want to complain but it does help to vent some frustration. i knew it would be hard taking care of a baby! so i went into this with my eyes open. but some things, like her still trying to suck her fist when my nipple is in her mouth, i was totally unprepared for! and can't find any info on.

Old 10-31-2004, 01:00 PM

Katie: i think it's ok to need whatever pain meds help you after a c-birth! percocet also has tylenol in it and the combo of motrin and tylenol is what helps the most (old trick for ppl with arthritis!). so you can try tylenol plus motrin and see if that helps. if you do need a percocet, you can try going without as long as you can, take it when you really need it ... that way you know you're toughing out what you can! i prefer to take meds that way rather than by-the-clock, and it helps me to know i'm physically needing it and not mentally dependent on it. hope this helps

this might be a rude question, but how much weight has everyone lost? is it normal for me to have lost 23 lbs. so far? it just feels weird. too much extra skin *lol* my nursing bra is way too big, around the ribcage. i lost a total of 30 lbs. during the pregnancy, even though i ate like a hog, i've wondered if that's why Willow is so tiny. i knew breastfeeding promotes weight loss after birth but 23 lbs. in 2 weeks, yikes! i have no idea if that's what's affecting my supply, so i just keep eating whenever i have a chance.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

melly bean: I've lost 26 lbs, and Reeds 9 days old today
I've got about 12 to go!~!!

I wish I had some words of wisdom for you about your dilema
Old 10-31-2004, 03:04 PM

Wow, you guys have lost a lot!!! I have no idea how much I have lost, since I never monitored weight in pregnancy, and don't own a scale. I don't think it is anywhere near that much, though! My belly is pretty huge and mushy. Hopefully breastfeeding will help, though.

Kind of along the same line, what are you guys wearing right now? Regular clothes? Maternity?
Old 10-31-2004, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

I'm in regular for the most part. I'll wear the old navy 1st tri. stuff. I have kind of an assortment of sizes for pants. I'm in my Old Navy 16's. I'm usually around a 12/14. If I get down to a 10 I look like a babe! : Here's hoping nursing gets me down to pre-Miles size!!!!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:53 PM

nak...when am I not nursing???? I feel like a human pacifier. I have a not so little piggy on my hands! I know she has put weight on since she is getting a double chin. Nights are still quite long and she nurses often. Since we're still in the living room, I turn the tv on for light to latch her on. She still doesn't always open her mouth wide enough, so I need to have light to see that she does. I swear, if she's in my arms, she has to be eating!
Had my first nip experience yesterday at the grocery store. I don't know if anyone there saw or cared b/c I was too busy trying to get the shopping done b/c I was tired and just wanted to go home! We had already spent time in wal mart and it was a lot for both of us! Dh was kind of freaked about me nip, but I think he will get use to it.
Speaking of weight...did I mention that I can wear my pre pregnancy jeans? I can't believe it! Of course, that makes more laundry b/c a lot of those clothes are smelling musty from not being worn for almost a year.
Well, tomorrow I need to call and schedule her two week appt, which I procrastinated on. I figured if there was a problem with her last jaundice test or her pku, they would have called us. Since they haven't, I'm not too concerned.
nak is tiring!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:54 PM

Meli,

If you think under supply is the issue, there are things you can do to help that (fenugreek is the first thing that comes to mind). Also, even if you do end up having to supplement with formula, you can always try a SNS (supplemental nursing system) which will help you build back your supply, but keep your baby from being hungry and dehydrated (I'm looking for a site that explains the SNS better than I could). http://lact-aid.com/

Pain meds -- I absolutely agree w/ everyone else, Katie. You *need* to be comfortable, esp. w/ a toddler to care for too! I was on my meds for the entire first week, and once I got my staples out I didn't really feel like I needed them any more. I was surprised w/ how much of my discomfort was coming from the staples. Weird. Anyway ... listen to your body, and don't feel badly doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. s

Weight loss ... Meli, it's weird to me too, but I've lost all 20-something pounds of my pregnancy weight too. I still have a floppy squishy belly, but I weigh what I did when I got pregnant. I've been eating normally too ... actually, worse than "normally", if you consider the halloween candy Until Friday, I was still in my wide-elastic-waist maternity jeans (not panel ones) ... which were comfy, but kept falling down so I was hitching them up every five minutes ... annoying. Now I'm wearing what I called pre-preggy my "fat jeans" (you know, the ones you wear when you're bloated or feeling fat? *lol*) ... my "regular jeans" ... well, I can get them on, but I have belly overhang, which when you're picking up your shirt to nurse all the time ... not good :LOL

Older siblings: Ethan is doing *amazingly* well ... we still deal with the same old 4 year old nonsense that we dealt with before, but he's an angel towards Noah. *Very* loving and concerned and gentle. I can't describe what it feels like to lay in bed snuggled between my two boys, or to watch Ethan loving on Noah. It's such a fullness in my heart, it makes me get teary every time. *sniff*

I can't believe my babe is going to be 2 weeks old tomorrow. On one had it seems like he's always been a part of the family, but on the other hand it feels like I was pregnant yesterday! He's such a delight, I feel so blessed
Old 10-31-2004, 09:28 PM

I can not believe that some of you are actually wearing your pre-pregnancy clothes already! I am so jealouse! I still can't even fit into Dh's pants yet and I've lost almost 20 pounds since Harrison's been born (got about 15 more to go to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight). So I'm pretty much stuck to wearing sweatpants and a couple of my non panneled maternity pants.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:13 PM

Oh Meli- Do you have plans to see a lactation consultant...sorry I am coming in late on this. It really sounds like you need RL support for this problem. I hope that things get better soon for you. Cluster feeds are normal, Ember did that everynight when she was a NB (she'd eat constantly from about 6-9, and then she'd have a 4 or 5hr strech of sleep) but the dryness has me worried.

About weight, I don't have a clue what I weight right now but I sure do feel skinny, :LOL. Funny how you can feel so skinny and probably weight 20+ lbs more than prepregnancy (at least). As for clothes, I am wearing a nursing top at the moment and strechy leggings...not really in real clothes, but not in mat. either.

Ember is doing great as a big sister. The first day or two were a little hard as she thinks she is big enough to pick him up and move him, etc. but she is learning. But she absolutely adores him and helps with diaper changes by getting me things and singing to him if he is fussy.

Sleep around here is going pretty good, we are all hitting the sack early, about 9:30 or so and so while he does wake up about 4 times or so I still get quite a few hrs of sleep in. He has had a couple of 4 hr streches at night, so I am pretty lucky (although the first night home it was ME that was lying there awake while he slept, nothing more frustrating than knowing you are missing your chance at some zzz's).

This is his fourth day and already his poops are turing mustard yellowy He never did get any jaundice and it looks like we are in the clear now.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:41 AM

Bluehalo - Thanks. I actually went into the hospital tonight to have them check me out, cause I was having so much more pain. I don't have an infection or anything. My surgeon was there to look at the incision and he said it looks great....told me just to take the percocet so I can rest and heal (he was a little surprised I hadn't taken any pain meds) and to ONLY sleep and nurse for the next few days. He thinks I just overdid it.

I don't have staples - I remembered how much they hurt with Lucy and requested stitches instead. They stitched "inside out" so you can't even see them. Just a line and a stitch on the very end. They really did do a good job. Good thing you got those staples out - they are so rough!

Gotta go - Levi is waking!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 AM

Lucy, I'm just amazed you even tried to go without meds. Even on my meds, I overdid it the first couple days home and paid for it. Please take care of yourself!

I gained 33 lbs during my pregnancy, and so far I have lost 15 lbs. The weight was dropping every day, but sadly seems to have levelled out over this last week. I have been eating alot of junk, but I was hoping to get lower than this during this early phase of rapid weight loss. My pre-pregnancy weight was 140, my ideal weight, and 12 lbs less than I weighed when I got pregnant with DD. I maintained it very easily thanks to breastfeeding. I'm hoping it won't be hard to get back to that weight again this time. I'm in that awful inbetween stage where most of my maternity clothes are falling off me, but my normal clothes are nowhere near close to fitting. And it's not even just a matter of pounds - the weight is distributed much differently for me post-partum. My stomach is huge, my butt is huge...I'm afraid I have a long way to go to get back into my "normal" clothes. But oh how I long to get there!!

Sasha had a rather fussy day today. He seems to strain alot. Sometimes his efforts result in farts, he only has one major poop a day, the rest of the diaper changes have little bits in it. He doesnt' seem to be in any pain, so I'm thinking it's not reflux. He seems mildly uncomfortable, that's it. But the noises and the contortions...I just hope we aren't headed for some kind of gas issue where I have to start restricting foods. Anyways, he finally crashed this evening around 7 or so and is still down. I gave in and nursed a very tired DD to sleep. Gosh the boob works magic! While I like having DH in charge of her bedtime, he really has to wait until she is zonked out and her bedtimes are so late now, even without naps during the day. It's nice to be able to type two-handed again!

Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Piglet~Reeds been going through the same deal. He strains, and only sometimes gets some gas out. He also will be sound asleep and wake up with a scream... I think I may need to lay off the nuts

I've been using CPF's w/covers, but I'm thinking I'd like to switch over to fitteds. What's everyone suggest? We don't have a ton of money to put into it, and once I start to look it's a little overwhelming! I really like the bitty bums (name?)

User Tag List