The witching hour? every evening colic symptoms...please help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My sister's dd is just over two months old and has been having nightly colic symptoms for a few weeks now, starting at 5 pm and going for hours, sometimes crying for an hour, sometimes five. Nonstop crying. She is very AP and slings the baby all day, bf's and cosleeps. During these crying spells there is nothing she can do to stop the incessant crying. Sometimes she may stop for a couple of minutes but then it gets going again. Every night.

She has changed her diet, eliminated dairy, wheat, corn, all offending foods. She was going to try gripe water today, but wanted me to ask if anyone has any solutions or advice that may help her. She feels horrible...no wonder...

My first dd had this off and on, more related to what I ate then anything else, but nothing so consistent and unrelenting...

Any help for her??? Thank you!

~Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 PM

Ugh...just reading this thread makes me shudder... For the first 3 months of Brandon's life, he screamed from 6:00 PM until midnight...EVERY night. Nothing would help...not the sling, not carrying him, not nursing him, not car rides, not dancing, not rocking, nothing. Well, nothing worked for long. Basically it was a trial and error....we found a list of things that worked some of the time and then just kept rotating them until he stopped crying...

Dancing
Rocking
Singing
Fast rocking side to side (almost swinging in your arms)
Holding him belly down in your arms and swinging
Slinging
Going outside in chilly air (this worked a LOT)
Running water and standing next to the running water/faucet
Ocean cd's
Car rides
Bouncing
SHHHHHHHHHING really close to the baby's ears....the sound is like a SHHH and ocean wave combined

Oh, and have the baby checked for reflux. Bran had reflux too, which was made worse by the colic. Basically, there was nothing we could do but grit our teeth and deal with it....one day it suddenly stops though. And it's a truly wonderful day...LOL!!

If your sister has a husband/partner, make sure to switch off....4+ hours of screaming can really get the best out of you. DH was gone for a week when Bran was in his colicky phase and it was horrible. Most of the time, Bran and I ended up falling asleep while I was sitting up in the bed supported by pillows, but we couldn't remember falling asleep... Switching off is definately a good thing. And remember, it will pass.... Usually between 8 and 12 weeks it just stops.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 03:18 AM

i feel so bad for her...my dd went through this in a much milder sence,and we used the ssshhhhhhhing sounds and that help as well as the going outside in fresh air and the water sound.oh and baths were a life saver for us.i would just jump in with her and let he water run and run....hope this help and it does get better.holly

bellycast.gif Mama of DD 04/04 dust.gifand DS 06/08 superhero.gif and Lola our new dog2.gifwith new babyf.gif EDD 11/05/13. Married to the love of my life and best friend DH joy.gifand as a family we treehugger.gif , goorganic.jpg novaxnocirc.gif h20homebirth.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif

#4 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 03:35 AM

I understand. My dd had SEVERE colic, sometimes up to 13 hours a day...3-4 hours a day was considered good for the first five months. It got somewhat better around five months and now at seven months is almost gone now that she's crawling and getting ready to walk.

Tell your sister to get 'The Happiest Baby on the Block' by Karp. It gives a great technique if followed closely that will save her sanity. Cannot say enough about it.

Caring Touch
#5 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 05:32 AM

this was so common among my pregnancy club with my first, that we called it (sarcastically) "happy hour". we were lucky with dd that it only happened about a half dozen times, but several mamas were in your sisters shoes. so far sasha has not had it though he does get rather fussy around 6 pm for a couple of hours.

i sort of think of it as baby trying to adjust to life on the outside.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 05:38 AM

We had three straight months of it.
And we tried everything.
Trouble was.. one night rocking would work.. the next night.. not.
One night dancing in the sling would work.. the next night.. not.
Every night was a new adventure in trying to come up with something that worked.
Karp.. yep.. tried it all. Worked sometimes.. not other times.
Symethicone drops.
You name it, we tried it.
One night it was Mozart. The next night a bath. Swaddling. UN-swaddling.

Then.. it stopped. Just stopped. He was around 3 months old and it just stopped.

Ugh. I don't even like REMEMBERING how awful it was.
#7 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 02:39 PM

Unless there is some medical reason for it (reflux, allergies), which is rare, it really will just stop. Ds2 had this for about a month (from about 3 weeks until about 8 weeks), and then just stopped. And a month may not sound like long, but when you're in it, each evening is an eternity!

Try to reassure your sister that it will end and that it's nothing she is doing wrong. I felt sure that I was doing something horribly wrong to make ds2 cry like this, and it just added to the frustration.

Wanted to add that we tried a health food store version of gripe water (no sugar or anything) and it did help. Not every time, but enough that we kept using it!
#8 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 PM

The only thing that worked for our ds was to bounce with him on a yoga ball. It might work for others too; one thing is for certain, it was easier than walking around the house carrying him for hours on end, and often he would fall asleep while we bounced.
#9 of 12 Old 10-30-2004, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

wow, thank you. I know everyone's stories will reassure her, if not comfort her to know she is not alone. I am sending her this thread, and I know she will appreciate it so much. I have only experienced this for maybe a couple of hours out of my new ds's life and those were just horrible, so sad, so frustrating, so helpless. I feel terrible hearing about this going on for hours for weeks. I'm sure it will end soon as her dd is reaching that age where it stops, but one more night is hard enough.

I have noticed the sound of water calms my ds too. Funny.

She was wondering if she should take her to the Dr to get her checked for reflux...does anyone know the symptoms of reflux?

This is wonderful support. And wonderful suggestions.

Any other stories or advice is always welcome. Thank you!!

~Holly
#10 of 12 Old 10-31-2004, 01:20 AM

I've been blessed with non-colicy babies but have had an occasional evening that was bad enough.

The two things that I could recommend are Karp's book HBOTB and the Miracle Blanket which makes swaddling sooooo much easier.

Lots of for your sister. Remind her that it does end.

The mantra: This too shall pass!
#11 of 12 Old 10-31-2004, 01:59 AM

For my ds, symptoms of reflux included:

A LOT of spitting up...way more than just "normal baby spitup".

He would "chug" and "gulp" a lot when he wasn't eating...like something came up and he swallowed it back down

When he was on his back, he would scream in pain, and it would only be relieved by putting him upright. Usually he had to be upright in a straight position...sitting would still hurt him.

He burped and hiccupped a lot.

Before, during, and after feedings, he would arch his back, stiffen up, and scream in pain.

Most of his screaming happened at night, when he would usually be laying down.

He actually still has this problem, but to a much lesser extent (he's been on zantac for 10 months. )

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#12 of 12 Old 10-31-2004, 05:40 AM

the best help we've found for our baby with reflux is a natural product called Hyland's colic tablets. they have been lifesavers for us and for our baby. i bought them at the drugstore (they're at most drug stores) in desperation, after reading how great they were at a colic website. even after the testimonials, i have to admit i was very skeptical. but... my dh and i were shocked at how effective they were. for our baby, the colic tablets provided complete relief within about a minute. you have to see it for yourself to believe it.

only downside is, there are times when they don't work. we don't know why, but we are grateful for the 8 out of 10 times they do work.

good luck to your sis

User Tag List