Nov/Dec 2003 November Thread! Our babies are turning One! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
c&p from IL diary...

""SIL just got out of surgery. she has several pins in her leg. she will be laid up for at least a year. She has no brain or internal injuries. I'm going to call her tomorrow and find out what happened and how she is doing.""

OMG! i was so scared they would amputate her leg or something. and I am sooo mad at MIL for not freaking calling us!! SIL is DH's sister, FIL is her father, and we are all under ONE FREAKING ROOF!! she could have called and gotten all of us. I am also mad at MIL b/c she is the one who talked SIL into buying a rear-wheel drive sports car instead of the truck she wanted.

but the important thing is SIL is ok, just beat up real bad. Thanks everyone for the prayers. I'm going to call her tomorrow and see how she is.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#362 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 02:21 AM

Christy I'm so sorry to hear all of this I am glad to hear everyone is "ok" but wow, how scary. Your MIL, no words Take care hon.
#363 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 01:45 PM

Christy~ I'm glad SIL came through ok. She's got a long recovery ahead of her - maybe she should move to Michigan too. Wouldn't that make MIL mad

I think Jessica is having night terrors already. She wakes up, but she’s not really awake though, she sits up or rolls around and cries real hard. Nothing consoles her at all. She has to cry for a few minutes, then she will lay down next to me and wimper a bit, she'll nurse, then she’s fine. Last night she only woke like that once, but the night before she woke up like 4 times doing that. Danielle didn’t start the night terrors until she was almost 2. I can't think of anything else that might be causing this. It makes for a long night though.

I am going to get a shower while the kids are still sleeping. OMG, a shower all by myself? I wonder if I'll remember what to do? :LOL
#364 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 03:11 PM

talked to MIL, SIL was in physical therapy already...her bone was sticking out of her leg in several places. her leg was totally mangled. they dont know how many pins they put in her leg, but she was in surgery for 3 hours to fix it. shes on morphine and everything, so she can't feel it.

thanks everyone.

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#365 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 03:23 PM

So sorry to hear about the injured SIL, praying for a speedy recovery!

I don't think I ever posted Justy's b-day pics, so here's the link - http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeFOHLlo4aMTU - I loved her cake - that I made!!

Only one little girl from her daycare class came, Lauren in the pics. She is such a cutie! We went to her 1st bday party the next week! It was a lot of fun, and kind of nice not to have to entertain so many people. It just made me sad because everyone we know has managed to make it to both of Connor's birthday parties, nobody seems to miss the pool party : - but yet no one can come for the November birthday. Lauren and her mom made it really special for us, so that was nice! My activities were all a lot of fun and will be good in the future too!

Other than that we're just ramping up for Christmas, already got all the kid's stuff in layaway at the store and I'm going to get it out this weekend. My birthday is in a couple weeks too, so I'm looking forward to that!

: On the parenting front I've been feeling like a big failure and a FRAUD with all my GD intentions. : I just need more backing from dh, and he doesn't get it. So I lose all my patience, then my temper, and I'm right back to spanking and screaming at poor Connor. Then I feel rotten, make dh understand how rotten I feel, he agrees that we can try different stuff, begin cycle again. I got all my books and I was skimming Raising you Spirited Child just a second ago - guess what catches my eye? I BEG YOU, DO NOT SPANK YOUR SPIRITED CHILD. It just adds to the overwhelming nature of their feelings and can be very damaging to them. It said something about how they aren't disobeying you on purpose, only that they are too busy noticing the world to listen directly to you, they are sidetracked to easily to follow more than one direct command at once.

SO - I'm going to be reading that book while sitting in the living room, and reading stuff like that out loud to dh whether he wants to hear it or not. I can open that book to any page (I've done it several times) pick a paragraph, and WHATEVER trait it is discussing fits Connor to a T!! I'm praying for some guidance, I just need to remember to pray for some more patience too! :

So that's what's up with us!! Any other tips or ideas for me?!
#366 of 375 Old 11-30-2004, 09:37 PM

Christy ... I'm glad to hear that your SIL is doing well, considering. I hope she has a speedy recovery. What a painful injury that must have been.

Sherri ... night terrors, eh? I apparently suffered from those when I was little, but I was around 3 or so. The dr. told my mom to make sure I was getting enough sleep as lack of sleep makes them more prone to happen. Now if you believe a ped. from the early 1970's, then maybe try that? :LOL Actually, I've been wondering the same thing about Henry. He's had a few wakings like that recently. But then again, maybe its just teeth.

devmom ... . Sounds like you are trying really hard, and you can make the changes. And so can your dh. Parenting is the hardest job on the planet and its hard to break old habits. I've heard good things about that book and plan to read it myself as I'm fairly certain Henry falls into the highly spirited category. I babysat a girl who I would now label high needs and the things that seemed to be most important to her in helping her, shall we say, control herself, were routine, consistency, and strict boundaries. When I say strict I don't mean severly limited/restricted; rather, I mean boundaries that don't change from day to day or moment to moment. When things got disrupted for her, she melted down quickly and became very difficult to deal with. But when things were consistent and when expectations were consistent, she flourished. Now, this may not be the case with every kid, and it comes down to knowing your child, but it really helped her and she's now a senior in high school about to start college. (I feel so old.) Maybe you can get more guidance on the Gentle Discipline or Toddler boards here? Regardless, good luck.

Well, I've got to go do laundry and 89 million other things. I just agreed to take on a client whose work needs to be done before New Year's. I'm insane. Its Chistmas time, I'm having company every weekend until Christmas (and my house is never orderly M-F), I have shopping and wrapping yet to do, photos of Henry yet to take for our Christmas cards (and the Christmas cards to do!), cookies galore to bake, and we're traveling away for Christmas. What the heck was I thinking??? Oh yeah. $$$$$ {sigh} Its gonna be a long month.
#367 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 01:04 AM

my grandma sent me a cookie press gun so I could make cookies like we used to when I was a kid she also sent me my old apron to use, too.

DH and FIL talked to SIL tonight. she is really doped up on morphine...not so bad that she isn't coherent, but kinda like she's drunk. She described the accident for DH, and her leg, and boy did it sound scary! she was stuck in the car for awhile b/c they had to cut her out, and all she had to look at was her mangled leg!!! when they put her on the gurney and into the ambulance, they had to straighten her leg and she started screaming and passed out. I soooo wish i could be there with her. and MIL is not even spending the night at the hospital with her!!! she was only there for a short time today. if it was my kid, I'd be there all day, 24 hours, whether she was doped up or not. <<<sigh>>> breath in, breath out, count to 10.....

anyway, despite all of this, Sage has been thriving. I've been getting stuff ready for her party in a couple weeks. I have grab bags to get stuff for, I'm thinking of whistles or party favors that are unisex...we are having a bunch of cousins and family over...close to 20 kids and their parents. What did you guys feed ppl at the party? I am making one big cake, cupcakes (one pilsbury-box's worth, lol, dont know how many that makes...) and BIL's GF is going to make mini-cupcakes. i was thinking of also having some egg salad and chicken salad finger sandwhiches, chips and dip. What else should i have???

off to DL some cookie recipes.

#368 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hey y'all,

christy so glad to hear sil is on the road to recovery. how scary! your mil really sounds like a piece of work, too!

bec, i'll go check out your gd thread now!

well, ellie officially turned one yesterday (monday). we celebrated 4 times! we had a little cake at thanksgiving with dh's family thurs, then a cake w/ my mom sat (her b-day was today), then with our API playgroup on monday (cookies that time) then with our good friend on monday evening (cake again). we got her some balls (she loves them and says "kick the ball" or more like "ki da ba") and some crayons and paper which she also loves. dd1 picked out a little vibrating "zip-a-long" stuffed horse for ellie and one for herself, too! can't believe she's already 1! toddling all over the place, too. where'd my baby go?!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#369 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 01:09 PM

Christy... I am keeping your SIL in my prayers for a good recovery! For the party food, I usually have raw veggies and dip (hummus for us, you could do ranch or something else if you don't care for it), nuts, pretzels, stuff like that unless it's during a meal time...

Iris has been sick... 3 colds in a row, poor babe! Yesterday I tried to help her breath by giving her some benadryl (first time I've given something like that to her...) and her nose dried up all right... But it was 5 hours of screaming and crying for a while, then sleeping for a while, repeated. Never doing THAT again! *sigh* I felt so bad to have made things so much worse for her.

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#370 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 02:16 PM

beanma ~ : to Ellie!!! This is such a bittersweet time isn't it? We are celebrating their birthdays yet sad that they are growing up already. Thankfully Jessica hasn't decided to walk yet so she still looks more baby than toddler. Bad mommy that I am, I'm not encouraging her to walk on her own, I'm content with her crawling - she'll be running after big sisters soon enough.

Sagewinna~ poor Iris. I hope she feels better soon. Knock on wood, Jessica hasn't ever been sick yet. She's had the occasional runny nose thanks to her allergies (a 'gift' from her daddy) but that's about it.

Last night was another long one. I don't know what is going on with her, poor baby wakes up every couple of hours just crying so hard. The first time last night, she woke up screaming and it took me almost 20 minutes to calm her down enough so she could nurse. The night terrors weren't this bad with Danielle, she didn't wake every night, and it was much easier to calm her down. Of course it also didn't start with her until she was almost 2. Hmm, maybe I'll post a question in the main forum and on the toddler forum.
#371 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 02:37 PM

Happy Birthday babies!

Christy-so sorry about your SIL.

Sherri-I hope Jessica has a better night tonight. Poor little babe.

Ds is just more adorable every day. He still isn't walking by himself but I am not really encouraging him either. He walks all over as long as he can hold on to something. He loves taking all of his cloth diapers out of the cupboard and throwing them around the room. Does the same with movies and books. Silly baby. :

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#372 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 02:46 PM

Gosh- I have a lot to respond to!

Devmom- Sorry you are having problems You can make a difference, 15 minutes at a time.

Christy: I must say that I am continually amazed by the bottomless pit of your MIL I will continue to pray for your SIL. Maybe she can come to MI to recooperate after she gets out of the hospital. Get her and BIL away from that evil witch of a MIL.

Beanma - : Ellie! I know what you mean about "where did my baby go?" Everytime I look at my little guy I can't believe that he is walking and acting like a big boy

sagewinna - Hope Iris feels better soon!

Sherri - Poor Jesi I can't imagine how scary night terrors must be. DS wakes up crying sometimes but I think it's teeth related.

gotta go- more later
#373 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 03:15 PM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ELLIE!!

Christy, hope you SIL is doing better and on the road to recovery soon. Your MIL is really a piece of work huh? :

Branden's back to getting up every hour or 2 at night so I can't stay b/c I'm gonna try to take a nap this afternoon.

Hugs to all
#374 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 03:42 PM

I started the December thread!.....

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=222137

#375 of 375 Old 12-01-2004, 03:46 PM

Aurora ~ Tobias and Jessica sound like two peas in a pod Jesi will walk all over the place holding on to one or both of my hands, or along the wall, couch, entertaiment center, etc. but let go and she does what I call the hoola hoop wiggle (wiggles her hips around like she's trying to hold a hoola hoop up) then drops to her knees. Her favorite past time is crawling over to the bookcase and pulling all the books down into a pile - then crawling away until I put them back - at which time she scurries back to pull them down again :LOL The movie cabinet is the same thing. She also likes to "help" me fold clothes. She pulls them out of the basket and throws them around the room she's such a silly little girl.

Stacy~ I hope you get that nap today. I never seem to be able to nap with Jesi, the other two girls just won't have it

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page