Nov/Dec 2003 November Thread! Our babies are turning One! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this from my local AP group and thought I really needed to share since most of what is listed, Jessica has done :LOL

"I am a Toddler!"

If it's on, I must turn it off.

If it's off, I must turn it on.

If it's folded, I must unfold it.

If it's high, it must be reached.

If it's shelved, it must be unshelved.

If it's pointed, it must be run with at top speed.

If it has leaves, they must be picked.

If it's plugged, it must be unplugged.

If it's not trash, it must be thrown away.

If it's in the trash, it must be removed, inspected, and thrown on the floor.

If it's closed, it must be opened.

If it doesn't open, it must be screamed at.

If it has drawers, they must be rifled.

If it's a pencil, it must write on the refrigerator, computer monitor, or table.

If it's full, it will be more interesting emptied.

If it's empty, it will be more interesting full.

If it's a pile of dirt, it must be laid upon.

If it's a stroller, it must under no circumstances be ridden in without protest;

it must be pushed by me instead.

If it has a flat surface, it must be banged upon.

If mommy's hands are full, I must be carried.

If mommy is in a hurry and wants to carry me, I must walk alone.

If it's paper, it must be torn.

If it has buttons, they must be pressed.

If the volume is low, it must go high.

If it's toilet paper, it must be unrolled on the floor.

If it's a drawer, it must be pulled upon.

If it's YOUR toothbrush, it must be inserted into MY mouth.

If it's MY toothbrush, it must be inserted into YOUR mouth.

If it has a faucet, it must be turned on at full force.

If it's a phone, I must talk into it.

If it's a bug, it must be swallowed.

If it doesn't stay on my spoon, it must be dropped on the floor.

If it's not food, it must be tasted.

If it's food, it must NOT be tasted.

If it's dry, it must be made wet with drool, milk, or toilet water.

If it has a tail, I must yank it.

If Mommy wants me to come, I must run away.

If Mommy wants me to go away, I must CLING ON FOR DEAR LIFE!

If it's stacked up, it must be knocked down.

If it's sticky, it must go in my hair.

If it's bath time, I must run around naked till I am caught!

If it is a rock, it must be picked up.

If it is a doll, it must not wear clothes.

If it is Mommy or Daddy, it must be hugged.

I am a Toddler!
#242 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Cute sherri.

On a happy note I think Angelica tried to say "brother". I had asked her when she woke if she wanted to go upstairs and play with him and she made 2 babbley sounds that started with "B".
On an even happier note- My father wants to buy me(and hubby) a new computer for Christmas because I always complain about mine. And he doesnt think 700.00 is too much!!!! I was amazed!!

Star, if I seemed snippy I'm sorry. Tired and cranky and still no car
#243 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 08:14 PM

:LOL Sherri, I loved that! Thanks for sharing.

Tammi, it's okay I'm jealous that your dad wants to buy a new computer for you two! Can I be your sister? Hmm, maybe he should buy a new car instead. LOL
#244 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

He doesnt know about my car problems. I pick and choose what to talk to him about.
Gotta do a potty run for my crazy son
#245 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 08:37 PM

Sherri, that is really cute and TOTALLY TRUE!!
#246 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 PM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WickidaWitch~
No, I don't think I wanna know.
: Sometimes all the lack of sleep makes me wish I didn't BF :
But then she smiles those beautiful smiles and looks up at me with those blue eyes, and I melt.

Ok, Tammi, here's the thing. BF really doesn't mean sleeping! That's a grass is greener on the other side thing.

Emily has been getting bottles, as you know, since she was tiny. Yes, they're EBM, but she's able to eat much more and really tank up because of it (at least, that's my theory). It has not made one bit of difference to her nightwaking! So, don't blame the BF, look at those beautiful blue eyes, and know that there is some evil baby plot designed to make us mamas sleep deprived.

Sherri - I loved that toddler definition! The only thing I would add would be that if it is dry, it must be covered in dog-bowl water! We've been having a little problem with that, lately.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#247 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 11:11 PM

sage was playing today, and she said, "mamamama?" I said, "yes, what do you want?" and she said, "MIL!" (milk). It was so cute! she also told her dad Byebye and waved this morning... she is acting less like a baby and more like a toddler everyday.

I'm planning her party for the 11th at her great-grandma's house. I'm going to hand-deliver invites on thanksgiving, to save on postage lol. I think i will be so sad...to all the moms of one year olds...was it a sad day, or were you depressed at all on your DC's birthday?????

I definately have baby fever, but we ARE GOING TO WAIT until we get settled into a house first!! I think we may have found one for real this time...its a mobile home, which I am not thrilled about, but It is on almost an acre of land, with access to the lake, totally furnished, for $41k. We are going to talk to someone about it tomorrow. if the furniture is better than what i already have, (which wouldnt be too hard to imagine, lol), then my old stuff is going in a yard sale, lol.

ttfn

ps~~yes, we also have tantrums! try taking a newspaper away from her and see what happens...

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#248 of 375 Old 11-17-2004, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy1980
I'm going to hand-deliver invites on thanksgiving, to save on postage
yes, save the stamps!!! the freakin post office loses the mail anyway!
i have had 3 people so far that didnt get thier invite!

Bec, the grass is greener on the other side!
i'd like to be on the other side for just a couple of days.
#249 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 12:53 AM

Sherri-The pictures are absolutely adorable Love that cake!
And that little thing about "I am a Toddler" aboce is soooo Branden, except for the part about not eating food...I have never seen a child eat like Branden does. He reminds me of a little vulture :LOL
We're also back in the "no sleep" department, but then, who am I kidding???? We've never actually been in the "sleep through the night club". And believe me, it's not just the BF kids, apparently our whole group of kids don't like to sleep!!!! : What's up with that anyway? I would bet I got maybe 2 hours total last night and tonight was again a struggle to get him into bed and asleep.....
Well, on that note, I better go and try to get some sleep while I can. Night all
#250 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:04 AM

DD has a cold and can't breathe when lying on her back/tummy in the crib. This should proove for an interesting night *sigh*
#251 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:28 AM

OK anyone one else have a scorpio baby and are overwhelmed with it. My oldest is a Virgo and his personality is much more like mine. But Matthew, my scorpio baby is so intense and pushes all my buttons. I am just thankful that my DH and I are switching and I am working some and he is staying home because he actually is more like him and understands. My oldest was distractable, and generally aims to please, Matthew is focused on anything we don't want him to have and rages when he can't have it, and wants to do something even more if he knows someone doesn't want him to. I think I need a scorpio support group.
#252 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
DD has a cold and can't breathe when lying on her back/tummy in the crib. This should proove for an interesting night *sigh*
for her
maybe a pillow under th matress to elevate her head a little?
if you use a vaporizer make sure its out of reach!
A just slept a whole 2 hrs at once and it actually felt like it was longer!
#253 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Matthew sounds like my 3yo but hes a may baby so not a scorpio. Jonathan is just like his dad too. must be why he drives me nuts all day! Angelica, poor thing is just like me
nak in the dark
#254 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:37 AM
bec

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WickidaWitch~
Bec, the grass is greener on the other side!
i'd like to be on the other side for just a couple of days.

Ok, here's a closer look at that grass. In reality, it is spray painted green, and has lots of weeds in it.

If you pump, like I do, this is what my day looks like. We get up at 6:30am, pump for half an hour. The baby is sometimes content to play, sometimes, not. If not, then I try to have a bottle available to feed her while I pump. I lay her on the couch next to me and feed her. Meanwhile, my 3.5 year old is whining about wanting to snuggle, but not being able to find a place to do that. She can't be on the other side of me, because the pump and all the tubes are there. She can't be on my lap, because of the horns. Usually, she just whines for 30 minutes.

Then, we go put the milk away, wash bottles, wash pump parts, start breakfast.

Our day continues till about 9. Emily is usually wanting a bottle and a nap around this time. She drinks her bottle, and hopefully falls asleep. She will nap for maybe an hour, if I'm very lucky.

At noon, I have to pump again. Hopefully I have food already prepared for the older child, so she can have lunch. Of course, she doesn't want to eat lunch, because she wants to be with me. Emily, also wants to be with me, and would like some solids or whatever Katie is having as well. So, more whining for another 30 minutes.

Then, we go put the milk away, wash bottles, wash pump parts, and try to get lunch down now very hungry throats.

Our day continues till around 2-3pm. Emily is usually very tired by now, and wanting many bottles, and probably a nap, but only if I'm holding her, and everyone is absolutely silent (try getting Katie to do that for more than 30 seconds in a row!). Again, if I am lucky, I'll get her down, either in her crib, or our bed for about 45 minutes. That's assuming no doorbells, loud preschool shrieking, or dog barking.

At 5pm, it's time to pump again. Usually DH has just gotten home, and I can get about 15 minutes or so of peace as the Daddy's home excitement distracts them.

Then, we go put the milk away, wash bottles, wash pump parts, and try to fix dinner. Dinner must be eaten and done before 6:30pm if we are to have any hope of a bath.

If no bath, bedtime is at 7:00pm for Katie. Everybody wants Mama at this time. Sadly, there can be only one. Emily is carried off screaming by Daddy, because she will, eventually, be soothed by him. I can often get Katie in bed and asleep within 30 minutes.

Emily may or may not be down for the night at this point. She may or may not need to have me at every moment of the evening.

At 9:30pm, I pump again. I keep my fingers crossed that Katie will stay asleep, and Emily quiet. Sometimes I am feeding her a bottle while I pump, and sometimes I have a few blessed moments of quiet.

Then, I go to put the milk away, wash bottles, wash pump parts, prepare the evening bottle (we're trying to night wean her gently, so we are watering down her night bottle in order to encourage her to drink her milk during the day).

Now, in the middle of the night (2-5 times depending on too many factors to list here), one of us has to get out of bed to get the bottle of milk, bring it back to bed, feed it to her (we do do this laying down, cosleeping is sweet this way). Then, when we are sure she is asleep, one of us has to get back up to put the bottle away (can't risk it spoiling. I've thrown out too many heart-wrenching ounces because we fell asleep while feeding her and woke up to sour milk). You can't really fall asleep while feeding her because the bottle will slip out of position, and she'll wake back up and start crying. Then you have to start the whole process over again.

If she was on formula, I wouldn't have to do the pumping thing, but all the bottles and nightime hoop jumping would be the same.

So, come on over if you really want to. But I would give just about anything to be feeling the soft, sweet grass of nursing this baby to sleep and in her sleep. I miss it most during the night. Keep in mind, I am still nursing my first, so I know firsthand what I am missing.

Peace,

Bec

#255 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 AM

bec~~ just reading your post made me feel exhausted!

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#256 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Your an awesome mama bec- I would not have been able to do all that for this long!
#257 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 11:53 AM

Wow Bec, that is a long day! I may not be totally satisfied with my lot sometimes, but I'll stick to my brown patchy weeded lot, LOL!!

My Connor is a Cancer. I don't know what that means other than Josh is a Leo and I am a Sag, and Josh's dad - that he doesn't like or get along with - is a Cancer. Justy is whatever comes right before Sag, and I don't know what that is. I don't have any idea what temperments are associated with my kids yet as for as their signs go, but it's an interesting perspective to check out! Mine and Josh's personalities fit right into our signs, and our relationship with each other follows suit.

Sherri - I love that poem! To true!

AND I'm all excited, I have solved my nighttime CD problems! My friend sent me some potty training supplies, training underpants, and some vinyl outer/padded inner training underpants and then some vinyl covers to go over the regular trainers. The plain vinyl covers worked like a charm last night! I put Connor in a prefold with a snappi and one of those and this morning we were dry where we were supposed to be dry and wet where we were supposed to be wet! Yay! I was getting prepared to try a wool soaker and those aren't cheap! But the FREE Gerber pants won out! LOL! Small victory, but all the same a very fulfilling one for me!!
#258 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

to you Bec for keeping that up
#259 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 12:39 PM
bec

I really have to apologize to Tammi here.

I was tired, cranky, and feeling more than a little sorry for myself last night, and shouldn't have been posting. I over-reacted to her post and I know it.

Here's what I should have posted instead:

Tammi, sorry that things are so tough for you right now. We all deserve a nice break. All of our dh's should take the baby's for a few hours while we all go out to lunch together, then maybe get a massage.

Bec

#260 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Bec- I probably would have felt the same way to my comment if I had to pump all day long to feed my babe breastmilk. Like I said before, I would have thrown in the towel long ago. There is no need to apologize
#261 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 12:46 PM

Sleep deprivation makes most of us cranky. *hug*

As far as the zodiac thing goes, I would guess Iris is the same sign as Matthew... She is pretty easy going and mellow, though. She does get very determined and focused, but she is fairly easy to distract much of the time, especially if it's ine of her siblings or food!

DS: 18 DD: 15 DD: 8  angel1.gif 11/10  angel1.gif 4/11
  adoptionheart-1.gifDD: 3  angel1.gif 8/11

#262 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 01:35 PM

DS is a Sag- so pretty easy going. DH is a Scorpio and he has tantrums when he doesn't get his way so feel for y'all :LOL

On a better note- DS loves music. ALl kinds. Especially techno, jazz, and 80's pop music. He LOVES to dance. It is so cute I need to get out the video camera and take some film of him shaking his little booty.

Right now he is jamming out to Prodigy. :LOL
#263 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
bec, ! tammi, ! everybody with sleep woes, !

we don't have any nighttime sleep woes here, but what i wouldn't give for a wee bit of "me" time. my girls are great sleepers AS LONG AS I'M WITH THEM! well, actually, the big girl is fine now after she konks out, but little bit is good for maybe 20 minutes if i'm lucky before she senses that i'm gone and screams a terrified scream. she's more okay when she's awake and playing and i leave the room . maybe one day i'll get a few real minutes all to myself...

christy, hope the house hunting goes well.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#264 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 04:07 PM

Sherri- that toddler thing was cute! Thanks for sharing... what an adventure a toddler is!

Beanma- just have to chime in I'm there with ya... my dd won't sleep without me, but she's great if I'm there. It's so weird to go to our friend's house & they put their 11 month-old down at 7:30, & he just goes to sleep... couldn't even fathom it...

Two more days & I'll have a one-year-old! Yikes!

An extrovert, married to my introverted dh since '01, mothering my girls C (2003) and G (2006).

Love homeschooling, reading, cooking (most of the time grain-free except for when I'm not ), lactivist, former and wanna-be cloth diaperer and baby-wearer...

#265 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 04:23 PM

Car seats - PLEASE tell me I'm not the only one with a total car seat hating baby! Every time I put her in the thing, she screams, stiffens herself up so it's near to impossible to get her strapped in, kicks her legs, waves her arms...... makes a quick trip to the store just SO much fun! I had wanted to wait a while before I turned her around, but I don't know how much longer I can take this. Danielle did the same thing right about this time and once we turned her car seat around, she was fine. I wanted to wait another couple of months - when does everyone else plan on turning the wee ones?
#266 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I planned on waiting for the 1yr/20lbs min. If I have to go somewhere though in dh's saturn I dont know if her carseat will fit rear facing. Heck, I dont know that it would fit forward facing the dang thing is so big and the car is so small!
#267 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 06:46 PM
bec

We'll turn it around when she's 1 and 20lbs (which I am assuming she will be. She only had 1.5 lbs to go when she was in the hospital in the beginning of October).

If I had a van or a bigger vehicle, I would probably leave her rear-facing until she hit the height and weight requirements. But it is so uncomfortable for any passengers in my car because the front seat has to be so far forward, there's no leg room.

Bec

#268 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 07:20 PM

Bec ... I'm eternally amazed at what you've done. Serious kuddos.

Pictures -- everyone's babes are so cute!!! I wish I could get mine to post ...

Zodiac ... I'm a Cancer (moody homebody). DH is a cusp Gemini bordering on Taurus. He's more Taurus (bull-headed) than Gemini, although at times he can talk out of both sides of his mouth (Gemini behavior). DS is a Scorpio. Lucky (???) for me, I had 2 Scorpio parents so I know how to handle them. But they are moody, sometimes self-absorbed, territorial/possessive/get-their-own-way types. But they do well with established and consistent boundaries. Flexibility is not their strong suit.

As for sleep -- I no longer know what that is. DH wants me to nightwean. I don't want to. We'll see how it goes in a few months.

As for car seats -- Henry HATED the car seat from 3 weeks to about 10.5 months. But right around then is when I put up these sun shade things that cling to the window (not the shades with the suction cups) on the side windows. I think all this time the sunlight was just bothering him. Who knew? Now that the time has changed, I've noticed that he's getting fussy again b/c we're out when the sunlight is streaming in through the back window. I can't cover that, though (I have a wagon), or I wouldn't be able to see at all. I'm hoping to keep Henry rear facing for as long as possible. But if he really makes it difficult to drive, I'll turn him (I know he's over 20lbs. already). They're so much safer rear facing (unless their screaming makes us bad drivers). My cousin turned her dd on her 1st b-day and her dd isn't even 20lbs. yet. What's amazing to me is that she's a pediatric nurse and her husband is a cop. You'd think they'd know better.

Anyway, I have gripe. Why is it that EVERYTIME I put Henry down for a nap one of the following things happens: (1) the phone rings; (2) the doorbell rings; or (3) I trip over something loud. Its been one of those days around here. I have a LLL meeting to go to tonight with him so I really needed him to nap today. So now he's down for nap #3 which started at 5pm. I know I'm going to regret this later but he was such a cranky pants.
#269 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 07:55 PM

I'm going to wait to turn the car seat around until he hits the weight limit for rear facing

Check out this thread http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=216441
#270 of 375 Old 11-18-2004, 08:08 PM

Baby girl is 1 year old today!!!

Well, I did it. I made it through 1 year! It was a very short & exhausting one. lol I have a a feeling this next year is going to feel like 10.

Here's a picture from 1 year ago - a few hours old:
http://www.stariah.com/venus/birthday.jpg

And today:
http://www.stariah.com/venus/birthday2.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page