Sept 04 mamas welcome to November! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#331 of 357 Old 11-28-2004, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good luck with the move Savannah! We are now talking about moving or remodeling or doing what we normally do . . . procrastinate from making any decisions. We have 1040 sq ft with the five of us and one bath, so we know our timer is ticking. The prices around here are so insane though, so if we move, we're heading out. Procrastinate, procrastinate . . .

Lynsey, are we living parallel lives? My little guy is up every 1-2 hours after 1 AM. I can deal with that, but my middle guy, Liam, is up every few hours starting at 11 PM! We did the no cry sleep solution with him way back, but he is such a night owl by nature. Savannah, can you make a shirt for baby that says "My nights are wild, how about yours?" I'm kidding, but I am tired of random strangers asking me if he sleeps through the night. I know they are just making conversation, and I smile and say he sleeps fine thank you. Ugh. We can handle low sleep, except when my oldest is crazy (which is recently about 95% of the time) and then we have a hard time dealing with him.

I love the fart story!
#332 of 357 Old 11-28-2004, 06:58 PM

Greetings All!! I'm back online. 12+ pages to catch up on. : Chatty bunch. :LOL

We are now moved to Austin and it is really starting to look like a home and not a stoarge building of cardboard boxes. :LOL :LOL Was lovely not having gas for the first three days (no heat or hot water) during a nice cold and rainy spell here. : : It took two trips to get everything here and that was using 24+ foot truck both times (and several friends with trailors too) to get it moved. We have too much stuff. 10 years of marriage and large furniture for a 3+ bedroom house will do that. David was of course in denial that we have that much stuff. Of course with the haphazard way they were loading stuff, lots of things that needed to go the first trip didn't... like the shelves to Tori's shelve units (couldn't unpack her room at all without them), the frame for Tori's bed, the bolts for our bedframe, the mattress for Jack's crib (luckily we had the pack&play for him to sleep in.), the box with the towels, TP and paper towels, all the bookcases (all 10 of them so I couldn't unpack the 100+ boxes of books to get them out of the way). Wouldn't have been too bad except it was a week between trips. Anyways, it's all here now.

I'm having a garage sale as soon as the weather dries out. We couldn't have a garage sale at our last house because of 'deed restrictions'. : : I have lots of stuff I want to get rid of but didn't want to just "throw away". Lots of hidden treasure $$.

I'm glad I decided to go ahead and use disposibles while we were moving. Even though in "theory" we should have been without the washer/dryer for 1-2 days... it was a week before I could dig a path to them and get them hooked up. I'd have had enough diapers to go that long but where would I have kept them... especially since neither diaper pail made the first trip. David was so funny the first time he put a disposible on Aidan. "Yuck this thing is nasty. I'm so glad we decided to use cloth." Isn't he great. He also commented yesterday when we were at BRU buying more plug covers (LOTS more plugs in this house!!) that he bet our kids were the only ones in the store with cloth on. :LOL

Stats:
Aidan James
Sept 26th, 2004 11:30am
8 Pounds 12 ounces
20 2/3 inches

Here's a pic of Aidan about 2 days old. http://home.houston.rr.com/hunterfam...AidanJames.jpg The gallery of pictures is currently down because David hasn't set up the server yet. It's still in its box. Hey at least my computer is up now... only took 2 weeks. :LOL

CONGRATULATIONS to Jen, Jo and Tristan. Wonderful that it is now "official".

I totally agree with everyone that said 'sleep begets sleep'. Both Tori and Jack sleep better and longer at night when they've gotten a nap in during the day. Whenever I notice Aidan getting really fussy and hard to get to sleep in the evenings, it's because it's waaay past a reasonable "bedtime" for him. We try to do bedtime routines around 7-8pm for everyone. Aidan sleeps a lot right now... and that's okay with me. He has been sleeping a lot in his swing... sometimes its the only way I can get stuff unpacked and situated. At first I felt guilty about how much time he was in the swing because I would sit and hold Tori while she slept and nursed almost non-stop for the first couple of months. But I've gotten over it. Can't really sling him when I'm moving large boxes and heavy book boxes everywhere. I was worried about the rocking motion a little bit until I was reading in the Happiest Baby book where he pointed out that the baby was in constant rocking motion in utero except when I was asleep. I'd never thought about it that way before. And he doesn't spend THAT much time in it. Okay a couple of times we've left him in the swing asleep late in the evening and gone to bed. As soon as he's started to fuss, David has gotten him and brought him to me to nurse and I'll put him in his bassinett at the foot of our bed.

Aidan usually wakes up every 2-3 hours (almost exactly 2.5 hours :LOL) to nurse at night. A couple of times he's slept longer. Twice in the last week he's slept in excess of 5+ hours at night. At first there is that heart failure that he didn't wake up because something happened. Then relief. Then the ache of the Boobs hits. :LOL Always becareful when rolling over onto your stomach. : :

Remember FIVE hours straight is considered sleeping "through" the night. So whoever's MIL was giving them a hard time about the baby not sleeping through the night, tell them HA!

I never wake a sleeping baby or even toddler unless we have to leave the house. It's been tougher with Aidan because I can't tell you how many times he'll totally let lose in his diaper and BAM one minute later... out like a light. That catch-22... leave baby in dirty diaper sleeping or change him and risk total meltdown from waking him up...

Guess who just passed out propped against me in my lap. No way will I be able to get him from this position to laid down... at least I now have both hands to type with. :LOL

That is too funny about Tristan farting. Aidan had a similiar experience laying on the changing table. I had just changed him when he let loose with a huge eruption, one of those a disposible would never been able to contain :. (Why do they always do that in a fresh new diaper that had been on less than 5 minutes?? ) I swear it was at least 25 seconds long. His arms shook the whole time. When he was done, I don't know if he was more shocked by how much came out : or by how LOUDLY it did. : :

Okay Aidan is awake and speaking of "fresh" diaper... :LOL :LOL
#333 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 01:39 AM

i'm still here and still reading, just usually my hands are too full to type. and noah is a REAL hand full these days so that is keeping me busy too.

do add me to the list though lynsey. lilah was born on 10/1 at 11:30 pm. she was 8 lbs 14 oz and 22 inches long.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#334 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Samantha, glad to see you back! I'm glad to hear you're getting settled in Austin, though I had to :LOL at your moving stories!

Iain just spend quite a while (an hour or more? dunno anymore) awake after being "down for the night." He woke up screaming horribly, though, and sounding all snuffly. I tried to do the saline/suction thing, and he screamed as awfully as I've ever heard him. Didn't seem to want anything, either, and surely didn't want to recline. I put him in the bathroom in his bouncy seat with the shower on (while I tried to get Gabriel back to bed - unsuccessfully ), but he didn't calm until he let out a few burps. He has just finally gone to sleep. He sounds awful. He's been sneezing and coughing, choking and gagging. Poor baby. Gabriel has had a little bit of a cough, so I'm wondering if that's something that's been shared (as much as G kisses him, I shouldn't wonder!). Anyway, thankfully he's asleep now and hopefully we'll all rest well... We need to make up for last night!

I've noticed in the last few days that Iain hasn't been nursing on the right side as much. When I put him on that side, he nurses a bit and then refuses, but will happily take the left. I've also noticed substantially higher supply on the left. Ugh. I'm guessing through some combination of his preference and my preference/laziness, he ended up nursing disproportionately on the left, and then the supply on the right just wasn't satisfying for him. So, I've been making a concerted effort to start him on the right side, then switch when he's emptied it, so he gets a full tummy but builds the supply. Hoping that's a reasonable idea! I think it's getting a little bit better, but it's hard to tell..

Took my MIL to the airport today. Her visit was pretty good, all in all, but I was really disappointed that she took NO interest in Iain's cloth. I mean, she CD'd my DH, knows we're CDing, and never said so much as, "wow, that's different/neat/interesting/weird/ugly/...." She referred to an aqua dipe as "neon" or something unflattering when DH pointed it out. She also seemed to look unhappily at Iain's being half-dressed on occasion, but never made a reaction over the obvious cute diapers. : Sigh. I know she thought it was crazy to wash at home and to spend so much on newborn diapers (only half of his original stash has been outgrown yet, so I think we're doing well!), but I had hoped she'd be supportive of our decision, for whatever reasons she decided to CD DH in the first place. Oh, well. That's the main thing I was looking forward to on her trip (we even made sure we had our new shelves to organize the diapers before she got here, 'cause we were gonna show her the bedroom and diaper area), and the one glaring thing that never happened. She did have a great visit with Gabriel, though, who totally "adopted" her as Grandma, even though I don't think he remembers the last time we saw her (last April). At least that was good.

So now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm focusing on Christmas.... What are you doing for your September baby for Christmas? My first was 9 months old at his first Christmas, so he had a blast! We got him one big gift that he still has... and I'd like to do something similar for Iain, but I have NO idea what! Probably in the next month he'll start really playing with toys (he loves to look at them now), but a giant stuffed animal probably won't be that interesting. And the diapers I'd love to splurge on won't really be the kinds of things to put in his memory box for when he's 18, ya konw? - "Here's the diaper cover we gave you for your first Christmas..." So, I'd LOVE to hear any ideas you have (for your little one or big ones, too!).

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#335 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 12:51 PM

We've been keeping busy. Both boys have a cold again. They no sooner got rid of them when the cold made a come back. Alex woke up many times last night coughing. Jackson is all sniffles and has a runny nose. They're both in good spirits during the day, but at night, the symptoms really make their appearance.

We got rid of cable last week. It was hard and easy all at the same time. Dh thought it would be a good idea so that we'd get more quality family time together. I have to admit that he's been way more involved with both boys since we cancelled it. And instead of zoning out in front of the TV, we sit together and talk while playing cards. It's definately been a good thing.

Christmas: We're driving to Indiana to spend the holidays. For all our family, we're making calendars with a different picture of the boys each month. We did this last year, and it was a great hit and everyone has requested it for this year. It works out well since we're on a tight budget and can't really spend all that much for Christmas. For Jackson, we'll be pulling out Alex's old old toys from the attic and wrapping them up. I'm afraid for Christmas this year, it's more about getting what he'll need rather than fun toys and such. Since he'll only be three-months though, I don't think he'll mind. He's got three sets of grandparents and two sets of great-grandparents that will cover the toy and clothes front for Christmas presents. I was going to get some new dipes and wrap them up as well, but it turns out that he'll need them before Christmas. I was so hoping that I'd be able to put off buying medium sized diapers for Jackson until after Christmas, but I don't think it will happen. His small Fuzzi-Bunz that we use at night have been leaking consistently, and I've been told that's an indicator that it's time to size up. All of his newborn/small dipes are getting small on him or more accurately, the rise is getting too low. He's growing way too fast!

Well I need to get back to work. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and has a good week!

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#336 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Heather - I'm just doing a stocking of stuff for Lucy. I plan on getting her several wood rattles/teethers (probably HABA) from ebay. (I'm trying to get rid of the plastic!) I have also made her a little sock doll.

Samantha - glad to see you back. I've been wondering where you were!

Jen - who can sit at home? I took Jack EVERYWHERE when he was a baby and I think it has really helped him be comfortable in just about any situation.

I had a lovely Thanksgiving and an AWFUL weekend. Jack has never been so oppositional. I totally went pyschotic for about 3 hours on Saturday (along with Jack) and was totally embarrassed for myself when we finally calmed down. Part of those three hours included him tearing up our bedroom when he was supposed to be napping and ended when he dump/shook an entire thing of cinnamon all over the kitchen and then proceeded to "clean" it up with a cloth drenched in dish soap. I screamed and cried, told him to get away from me, go away, etc., etc., THE GUILT!!!!

When Lucy starts screaming and Jack is misbehaving, it just puts me right over the edge. I can't barely hear anything and he uses my distraction as an opportunity to do things he isn't supposed to do. Even when he isn't misbehaving, he whines and cries all day. I can't figure out why he is doing it and why he won't stop. He doesn't do it at school.

Please - someone tell me it gets better than this?
#337 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 01:21 PM

sarah, me too! PLEASE someone say it gets better.

#338 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 01:50 PM

I just stumbled across this in TAO - Help an MDC mama for Christmas I can always figure out how to help someone else, even if I'm broke too! If you decide to help, could you post links in any other fourms you frequent?
#339 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 02:03 PM

It gets better! Hang in there mamas! We all have moments like that! Alex is 3-1/2, and I think that makes it a little easier, at least for me. It's so hard to get a handle on him because I have Jackson in my arms or in the sling. I can't just pick him up and remove him from the situation anymore and he knows it. What gets me even more frustrated is when dh gets fed up. He starts saying things that him mom would say and it drives me batty! My latest tool has been to print out "25 Ways to Talk so Children Will Listen" and "18 Ways to say 'No' Positively" off of the askdrsears website. I have a copy on the fridge and another in the bathroom, so it gets read often. It definately has been helping me and dh.

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#340 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Believe it or not, it is really nice to hear that you mamas, whom I hold in high regard as slingin', nursin' AP types, lose your cool with your children. The only thing I can say - being inexperienced in the mothering thing but damn experienced with trying not to lose my temper with children as a teacher - is that if you do lose it, you'd be surprised at the forgiveness you will most likely receive once calm has been restored and you take the time to apologize. I got SO pissed off at one of my 2nd graders last year and yelled my head off at him - getting really accusatory - and the next day, I apologized to the whole class, and their answer was "It's ok. You're human."

And I would guess that if you're not like that all the time, your child will get a strong message that s/he has done something really bad to send you around the bend like that...

Anyway I'm sorry to hear that you are having a rough time of it!!!

Sarah - I'm glad to hear you took Jack everywhere - I'm just trying to figure out how to do it when it's cold out. It makes the transition from outside to inside a bit of a challenge especially with slinging. That and I have a hatchback with 2 doors, what was I thinking? (I probably wasn't thinking about having a baby back in 2000, that's what!)

Tristan's probably getting a snuggle and a kiss for Christmas. Grandma bought him his health insurance for about 3 months. That's a big gift to us! I'm sure she'll get him something else, though, probably clothing. I asked my sister for a Felix Pera coat but I'm not holding my breath despite the fact that they are loaded. We might buy a special ornament for the tree to commemerate his first Christmas. Oh, and Vicki, if you're still reading: I saw a "My first Hanukkah" outfit at Marshall's last week! I didn't know that such things existed! It was darn cute, navy blue and white velour.

Well, I've got other things to do while little man is asleep.

xo, j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#341 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
I just stumbled across this in TAO - Help an MDC mama for Christmas I can always figure out how to help someone else, even if I'm broke too! If you decide to help, could you post links in any other fourms you frequent?

Thanks for letting us know about the help a mama thread. I'm new and probably wouldn't have even found out about it. It's such a good idea!
#342 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 04:17 PM

nak

just made it thru all the posts, but out of time for any real posting...

hello and so great to hear all the updates!

must go deal with the disaster that is my house.....

lovies,

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#343 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 10:51 PM

Jen - have you seen this fabulous creation? They are sold at Gypsy Mama as well. If I lived somewhere cold, I would definitely get one.
#344 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 10:53 PM

i am just feeling like such a failure at mothering noah these days. each day it seems to get worse rather than better. i used to love stayng home with him but right now i can't stand it. he whines, he begs, he throws tantrums, he doesn't listen. today he hit lilah. i seem to have totally lost my patience with him. and i know in my head that this is his reaction to liah's arrival and he needs me now more than ever but i am totally failing at using that knowledge to help him through this. i don't know what to do. i bought 'the happiest toddler on the block' since i've heard so many good things about the baby one. i like it some and am going to use some of its ideas. one is massage. we tried this tonight and i think he really liked it. please let tomorrow be a better day.

jen, what a fabulous gift from your mom!

pam, i will check out those lists. i'm so sorry both your boys are sick. we are just about to size up in diapers too. my girl's thighs are huge!

sarah, is HABA a special brand? i'm going to order lilah a couple of wooden rattles and toys too. i was looking at the ones in the rosy hippo's catalog.

heatherb, poor iain too!

oh, noah is ready for bed.

#345 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 11:16 PM

Chrissy - search for HABA on ebay. I like their stuff because it seems well made and like it will last. I've been using some stuff from Happiest Toddler (mainly special time and toddler talk). I also have the book "Easy to Love, Hard to Discipline" (I find the title horrible, because I think it implies that I am too "soft" to properly discipline my child, but that is not what it is about at all.) I found out about it (called conscious discipline) because it is the approach Jack's school uses and they offer free classes for parents. It has been helping some, especially since half the book addresses parental behavior (ha, ha says the screaming shrew). I got mine from the library.

I have also started pretending that I'm telling Lucy "no" and that I can't do something for/with her because I need to be with Jack. For example, she can be just laying somewhere totally fine, but I will carry on a pretend conversation with her, in Jack's hearing that goes along these lines: "What Lucy? You want me to play with you, etc. I'm sorry but I can't right now, because I am going to play with Jack now. We can play together in a little bit." Or I'll say, "I'm sorry Lucy, but you will have to wait your turn, it is Jack's turn now." I'm hoping that it will make it a little easier when he has to wait for something he wants (as in ME ME ME! - I call it the "Mommy show" all day and all night!)

Don't know if anyone else is watching Desperate Housewives, although I'm SURE I'm not the only one! I thought last night was really good because it pointed out how important it was that we share our true stories as mothers, the good, the bad and the ugly.
#346 of 357 Old 11-29-2004, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistermama
I have also started pretending that I'm telling Lucy "no" and that I can't do something for/with her because I need to be with Jack. For example, she can be just laying somewhere totally fine, but I will carry on a pretend conversation with her, in Jack's hearing that goes along these lines: "What Lucy? You want me to play with you, etc. I'm sorry but I can't right now, because I am going to play with Jack now. We can play together in a little bit." Or I'll say, "I'm sorry Lucy, but you will have to wait your turn, it is Jack's turn now." I'm hoping that it will make it a little easier when he has to wait for something he wants (as in ME ME ME! - I call it the "Mommy show" all day and all night!).
that's a great idea!

#347 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 02:46 AM

YES! I'm watching Desperate Housewives. I love that show!
#348 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I surely hope it gets easier for you, Chrissy and Sarah! We've definitely had our ups and downs. Thankfully he's doing better lately, but I still find myself totally overwhelmed pretty regularly (Iain screaming, Gabriel clamoring for attention...)

I think one of the biggest things that has made a difference for Gabriel is having time with just me. He can go crazy vying for attention when all of my time is spent on Iain. Drives me insane! I'll be constantly telling him, "get off your brother," "sit down," "not right now," "no more kisses," etc., etc. I don't always make it a conscious effort, but sometimes nights like tonight happen. I ended up taking both boys in the bath, so at first it was just me and Gabriel and then added Iain. Gabriel started acting out, so I got us all out and wrapped up, ready to put Gabriel to bed. DH was really tired so he opted to hold Iain (who was also looking tired) while I got Gabriel ready. We ended up spending a while getting ready leisurely, including an after bath lotion massage, etc. It was nice for both of us to have some time together with no one else needing anything! And he was perfectly behaved (okay, he was a little frustrating with teeth brushing! :LOL), even though he'd been quite something else earlier. I've asked Gabriel on several occasions if it's hard to share Mommy, and he always answers yes, very seriously. I dunno if it really does, but seems like it helps him to know I understand it's hard for him.

Christmas - I'm so excited! I talked to my sister earlier and she was asking about gifts for Iain. I told her my not-too-exciting ideas, and she suggested some wooden toys and a soft doll/teether. It sounds perfect! I always see wooden toys and those little dolls and love them, but haven't figured out which ones are best (or why) and what to get him. So now I don't have to worry about it. I'm still not sure what to get him from us, though... It might be easier if I actually had time to talk to DH about it!

Does anyone know of places that carry small playsilks? Kind of 10-12" square? I was thinking of getting those to give to the boys and keep in the diaper bag for entertainment while we're out.

Jen, I say go for all the little exciting things! And take lots of pictures! We took Gabriel to cut down a tree on his first Christmas, and granted he was 9 months old then, but he still didn't remember it. This year, he's old enough to understand (pretty much everything, it seems!), and we can tell him that this is what we've done every year, and now take Iain along. I really can't wait! I totally agree about not being able to stay home all the time. I don't have to deal with the cold, but I just can't sit inside with the baby all the time. I love to have them out and exploring the real world. I remember a friend who actually didn't let her baby leave the house for six or eight weeks (per doctor's recommendations ). When she finally came to our playgroup, she said to him, "This is the world - these are people." It seemed so sad that in all that time he'd never been out of his house! Anyhow, do what you feel is best. And have fun!

Pam, we've been talking about getting rid of cable for months! I'm SO tempted to just up and do it now. We pay a ton for basically nothing. There's so often nothing on. Though when we do enjoy it, we really love it. So I need to get rid of it now when I haven't had time to sit down and watch at a time when there's anything I like! :LOL Anyway, congrats on doing it! You're encouraging me in the right direction!

Savannah, I somehow had missed your posts on your anniversary! Congrats! What a great DH! And you surely do deserve it - what an awesome gift you've given your family in this last year!

I had to take Iain's temperature rectally today. He's got a slight fever, and the doc's office wanted an accurate reading - though since I didn't have the correct kind of sheaths for our digital thermometers, it was hard to do! The last time I did it was the only one when he fussed, thankfully! But it looked like he was bleeding a bit. Agh! Hopefully he'll be feeling better tomorrow and we won't have to go through that again... They suggested we bring him in for an ear check, but since he's not on our insurance right now, and he just got an adjustment at the chiropractor (including his ears, which he HATES to have adjusted), I'm opting to wait. Hopefully it'll all clear up just fine without interference.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#349 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 10:48 AM

Chrissy & Sarah,

I can totally relate to what you girls are going through with Noah and Jack! I feel like I am being a horrible mom and totally ruining Paityn! She used to be/still is so sweet, but I have so much less patience these days. I used to be able to stay calm and talk to her about what she is doing but now I just immediately get very irritated and be a bitch to her. And I know Im doing it, but its like I dont know how to stop or something... She SO doesnt deserve it! Riley is being a total terror also and constantly tries to get Paityn in trouble by telling her to do things he knows she isnt supposed to do. I just want to run away! I really just think that I need some "me" time but thats not going to happen anytime soon. My dh isnt helpful with the kids at all and I have no family that seems to be interested in watching them either.

HeatherB,

As for Christmas, I am getting Naiya an ornament and a doll, even though I know she wont be playing with it for quite a while. I also got a doll for Paityns 1st christmas (she was almost 11 months old.) That will probably be it for her. I know that our family will be getting her clothes for the spring/summer since we have none. I made a list for them and specifically put no dolls or stuffed animals so I hope they abide by it.

Paityn is going to get a dollhouse and a few other little things... What are all the other 2-3 year old siblings getting? Im very interested to hear. I found Paityn the CUTEST ornament online of a little girl holding a baby and was able to personalize it with blonde hair and have them write Paityn & Naiya 2004 on the back. I LOVE all our ornaments - its my absolute fav. thing to shop for every Christmas.
#350 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's interesting to hear of all the babies getting soft dolls for Christmas, I bought fabric to make Tristan a crib doll last week. It never occured to me that I could give it to him as a Christmas gift, it does say in the book that you should put it in the crib starting around 3 months old! I thought it would be perfect for him because he's always grabbing his burp rags and putting them in his mouth. It's a very easy pattern, essentially made like a Halloween ghost you make out of tissues - a round, stuffed head and a few flannel or silk squares. You sew some wool stuffing into a little pouch, stuff it into the center of the squares, tie off a round head and knot two ends of the top layer for hands. Infinitely chewable and totally washable. When baby starts looking for eye contact you can put on some dots for eyes with a Sharpie.

We had a horrible night last night, Tristan took a nap on my lap from about 8:30 - 11:30 (I napped too! that's not the horrible part) and then was so stuffy that he only nursed halfway (but drained both breasts...) and then couldn't get to sleep because his nose was so plugged, especially lying down. Since he drained me so nicely I couldn't express any milk for nose drops, and we tried saline and it made him scream. We couldn't suction anything out, either. Around 3 I ended up taking him into the bathroom with the shower running making steam and was able to express enough to put 3-4 drops in each nostril and then was finally able to fall asleep... until 5:45 when he woke up unable to breathe again that time he only wanted to suck to clear his nose, and fell back asleep, and woke up again at 10. Now it's 11:15; I know that Jo called in to work, I don't know if she called in sick for the whole day or late. Perhaps I should ask sooner rather than later.

Well, Steph just called to go for a walk, and I think it would do both Tristan's sinuses and me good, so I'm going to go get dressed and go... take care and thanks, women, it always feels so supportive here

j

#351 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 02:46 PM

Hi ladies! I just wanted to pop in to say hello! I haven't read any posts other than those on this page-must go catch up!!

umm, Jen, I never thought of putting breastmilk in the nose. I'll have to try it. Miles is a bit stuffy from it being sooo dry here.

sarah, that is a cute poncho!!!

I think we're getting Miles a couple HABA toys and an ornament. I'm hoping our families do not go overboard, especially with the plastics.
#352 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 03:33 PM

We will likely receive clothes for the babies and way more plastic toys than we could ever use. We already have a houseful of toys Nicolas doesn't even look at. (Especially since we got him a Game Cube for his birthday this summer). OH, well.

Those soft dolls sound cute and simple. We received little square blankets with fuzzy animal heads, they sound like the same concept, except no knotted hands. I guess I'll start putting them with the babies to see how they like them.

Nicolas is in the other room entertaining the babies with a puppet show. Pretty cute. I'm starving, so I guess I'll go eat some more turkey and mashed potatoes. (Will it ever end??)

P.S. I haven't seen Desperate housewives, nor have I any desire to. The ads insult my sense of decency, and I hate that they promote it when my kids are still in hearing/viewing distance. Same with Sex in the City. Grrrr. I'm sure the shows are funny and fun, but it seems like so much of our culture is gradually being dragged into the gutter by "harmless" shows like that. I've been helping www.onemillionmoms.com's email campaigns to get the advertisers to stop supporting indecent stuff.

(That may have offended some of you. Sorry. Didn't mean to jump onto my soapbox... hee hee. And I definitely don't claim to be perfect.)

I've managed to pick up enough small pocket/AIO dipes and Medium diapers and covers since beginning CDing that I've got THREE LOADS of diaper laundry that need to be assembled/put away and I still have diapers to use. Wow. William doesn't fit most of the smalls anymore, but I haven't packed them up yet because McKenna still barely fits them.
#353 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 03:43 PM

We're here! We're still alive and kickin'.

For the list:

Anna Christine was born on 9/2 at 5 pounds 15 ounces.

Our little Banana is growing very well, finally. She'll be 3 months on Thursday and she's almost exactly 10 pounds.

It may not sound like much to those of you who had big babies at birth, but she's doubled her hospital release weight (which was still her weight at 2 weeks old).

Anna is sleeping through the night. She goes down nursing at about 10 and wakes to nurse again at about 5am. After her 5am nursing, she sleeps in again till 9-10am.

The bad news about that is the fact that Anna used to do a great deal of her best nursing at night. My supply has gone down and she's taking 4 ounces of formula per day again. I'm just too overwhelmed to pump, so I've reconsciled myself to the fact that she may get one feed of formula per day till we start solids.

Anna isn't interested in toys at all yet. She's primarily just a sleep-nurse-snuggle and babble baby. She's started saying baba da (combination of chinese and english for daddy) and moo mooo (her lovely way of asking to nurse) on a reliable basis. My Emily (almost 5) started speaking around 3 months as well, so it didn't shock me too much. Nate was 2 YEARS before he spoke much, though, so I was ready to accept whatever schedule she set for herself.

Any other babes want to stand or bounce all the time? Anna has no patience for being on her tummy or back. She wants to be held sitting upright whenever she's not nursing, and she prefers standing to sitting.

Holidays....geez, I dunno really. We do three gifts for each child plus the stocking. Emily asked for arts and crafts, one of those new mooshy pillows and some makeup (she loves roll-on glitter and flavored chapstick. Those are considered makeup to her). Nate is getting some pretend tools, a mooshy pillow of his own, and a rescue heros set. We're not really anti-plastic here. We do try to stick with toys that engage the children's imaginations or encourage learning.

Anna, thus far, has a teether, a set of baby-sized pooh and friends toys and a light-up Minnie Mouse. I'll be making a couple of taggie blankets and a blankie doll as well. She's getting more than 3 things primarily because we don't have baby toys anymore, so she's got nothing of her own.

~L
#354 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 04:12 PM

Tori has been a bit of a handful lately. She also been leading Jack into trouble. She'll tell him to do things she knows they aren't suppose to do, it's like she wants to get him into trouble too. I think she does it so he'll be in trouble since he rarely does stuff that he isn't suppose to... unlike her. I have found myself yelling at her too often. : : Several times I've considered selling her. Just kidding. I really need to re-read 1,2,3 Magic... though I need to FIND it first. :LOL I know the box its in is under a big stack.

We've had a big set back in potty learning with Tori for the last week. First week we were here no accidents. But this past week she's been having them several times a day. I know it's all the changes with the move but it is so annoying when she wets right after I've asked her if she needs to go and she's told me no. Luckily they've only been wet and not stinky! She's going through pants like crazy. :LOL

Christmas presents:
Aidan is getting a baby bunting doll from Joy's Waldorf and a couple of Haba wooden teethers and rattles. I have't figured out what to tell family to get him yet.
Jack is getting a Heavy babydoll from Joy's Waldorf. I was getting it originally for Tori but she only seems to like her Goete (BittyBaby) baby doll 'Baby' (such an original name :LOL) that I gave her when Jack was born. I'm giving it to Jack so maybe he'll leave Baby alone, he's always walking around carrying her and Tori gets upset.
Tori was getting the Heavy babydoll but now I think I get her something else. I need to go through my tubs of toys for presents and see what I can find. I think I might put her 'art' stuff together for her.

Hopefully David will have time to build the train table that he was going to build last year... don't ask why it still hasn't been built. If he gets the table done, I'll pull out a bunch of the Brio train stuff that I've been acquiring for them and that will be the "Santa" present. I'm hoping that by Feb when its Tori's birthday (she'll be 4), David will have built her wooden kitchen set (I have lots of wooden food for that packed away).
#355 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 09:05 PM

Hello Ladies!
It has been a tough few days here. I started my new job this week and I've just spent the longest two days of my life away from Drew He was kind of freaked out that I wasn't home on Monday but hubby says today was better. I'm also really nervous about my milk supply decreasing, so I have been drinking mother's milk tea and pumping every chance I get. After this week it won't be too bad because I'll be only working 3 days instead of 5.

sistermama and chrissy

Cuddlemama, my boy likes to be sitting up a lot more too. He probably gets a better perspective that way.

I just figured out what everyone means by, "baby wearing"! How cool! I am going to order some material tonight so I can start wearing Drew. Hubby is excited to start baby wearing also, because Drew loves to be hugged. We have a snuggli but it really starts to hurt my back after awhile and it is hard to do things like dishes with him in the snuggli. The baby wearing looks more friendly.
Those HABA toys look so adorable. I am finding out about all kinds of neat things from you mamas
#356 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I started the December thread. Hard to believe that it's nearly a year since finding out I was pregnant. 11 days from today I was in the clinic for an insem. Wow.

Meredith I got the breastmilk in the nose thing from someone here, I guess it's not only always the right concentration and temperature but it's also antibacterial. At any rate it loosens stuff right up in his nose.

Had a great day today except that Tristan's doing his best to teach Oscar how to scream unnecessarily! I think he was tired.

Opinions about taking baby out in cold weather? Is their skin way more sensitive and frostbites easier/faster? Looking for facts, having a hard time!

I'm ready for bed after last night, phew.

j

#357 of 357 Old 11-30-2004, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We're still here. For the list Kaia Morgan born 9/25/04 8lbs 10ozs and 19 and 3/4s inches long.

DH is laying in the bed with her now getting her to go to sleep. I think they're both out now. It is so sweet to see them sleeping in the bed together.
Kaia has been stuffy for it seems like forever. We run the humidifier in the bedroom. I also do the breastmilk in the nose thing. I try to put milk in her nose and then suck it out before she goes to bed and when we get up in the morning.

I don't think we will be getting her anything for Christmas, but I think the grandparents may go crazy. I gave them a list and asked for wooden toys and cotton clothing,no characters. The big thing on the list was a rocking chair, we would love to have one.

Well I quess I should see what else I can get done with this rare free alone time.
I hope everyone stays well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page