My baby ate silica gel beads! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
 
Alstrameria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In my snowfort...
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And the worst mother of the year award goes to.....ME.

I think she may have eaten a few beads. I'm not even sure, I just found the package had been chewed.

Will this hurt her? She's 8 months and 22 lbs.
Alstrameria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 10:16 AM
 
spero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: the back of beyond
Posts: 9,488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Question: What is harmful about silica gel?
Answer: Silica gel is not toxic to humans. There is a warning sign on the packaging because it is considered a choking hazard. If children accidentally ingest silica gel, gently wipe out their mouth and give them something to drink to take away the bad taste.
http://www.ncpoisoncenter.org/Consumers/Questions.cfm

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
spero is offline  
#3 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
 
Alstrameria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In my snowfort...
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh thank you!!
Alstrameria is offline  
#4 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 11:39 AM
 
nonnymoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One of my coworkers is addicted to beef jerky and recently ate the silica in the package he was working on ("I noticed that the jerky was awfully crunchy..." ) He's a lot bigger than your DD (774 months and 230 pounds ), but he *did* eat the entire bag of the stuff. He was a little worried, but didn't have any problems other than diarrhea, and that may have been a side effect of the jerky.
nonnymoose is offline  
#5 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
 
Alstrameria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In my snowfort...
Posts: 920
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He ate the whole thing? :LOL
Alstrameria is offline  
#6 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 05:43 PM
 
nonnymoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He didn't really *mean* to eat the silica, but the little packet was torn open. He just didn't notice it till he was down to the nasty salty crumbs at the bottom of the bag. Bleah.
nonnymoose is offline  
#7 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 07:49 PM
cek
 
cek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you should check with your doctor. Why take a chance, just make a phone call...
cek is offline  
#8 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 09:00 PM
 
mum2tori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: LoneStar State Keeping Austin Weird
Posts: 2,352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD did that too. Not a problem at all. The woman at Poison Control said it's one of the most common calls they get. Just wipe her mouth out and give her some fluids.

You aren't the worst mommy.
mum2tori is offline  
#9 of 12 Old 11-08-2004, 09:11 PM
 
broodymama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Watching the rain
Posts: 7,286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm glad to find out more info on this, I had always wondered. My cat ate a package of silica gel about a year ago, he was find but it scared the crap out of me! Since then I've started keeping the trash can in the pantry.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

broodymama is offline  
#10 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 01:17 AM
 
mbmason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Didn't she read the little thing on the package that says Do Not Eat?

Glad she is okay!
mbmason is offline  
#11 of 12 Old 11-09-2004, 01:40 AM
 
bunny's mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 880
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this is a really good place to say to all the parents here:

go NOW to your yellow pages and look up the number for your local poison control center. write it down in big block letters and TAPE it ON your phone.

and always call poison control right away when you suspect your child MAY have swallowed something that MAY be harmful. there is no harm in calling, they are really nice folks there and most of the time, you'll get your mind set at ease quickly by someone who has so much information at his or her fingertips. the mamas here know so much, but please don't take any chances, call poison control immediately.

public service announcement over.
bunny's mama (who called poison control just this morning when bunny took an opened blister-pac of visiting grandma's cancer medicine out of the trash can and told me she took the pills herself)
bunny's mama is offline  
#12 of 12 Old 12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
 
Nammy97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just happened to my granddaughter. She is 14 months old and about 19 lbs. I can't vouch for how many, if any, she swallowed, but the bag was wet, some of the beads were on the bed, and she had a slight frown on her face. A few hours later she developed somewhat explosive, liquid stools, pale yellow in color with bb-like grannuals. They were soon followed with stomach pains and she would not eat. The doctor instructed me to give her pedialyte and no milk until her stools formed. Ingested on a Monday, her stools began forming on Friday. In total, it took about 5 days of diarrhea and weak appetite. Her breathing was never affected and neither was her sleeping, for the most part. It was a slow healing process but it never got worse than the first day.
Nammy97 is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off