getting baby to sleep with big brother around - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-14-2004, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a really hard time getting my 4mo to fall asleep lately b/c her 3yo big brother is around making too much noise! She has never gotten used to his noise, like people always said she would ("oh the second one will be able to sleep ANYWHERE..."). She works herself into an overtired frenzy, then falls asleep for 20-30 minute naps, and those are only if I take them out for a walk. She seems really sleep-deprived.

There are days when my 3yo is out with the babysitter or my husband (weekends), and I can lay down with the baby and she'll snuggle up with me and go to sleep. This takes at least a 1/2 hour, sometimes more, and then she'll nap for 3-4 hours. She won't nurse to sleep at all.

I try to cajole the 3yo into playing by himself or even watching a video just long enough for me to put her down, but he senses that I don't want him around and he makes it very impossible to get him out of the room. Then I talk to him about sitting quietly next to us while we wait for the baby to fall asleep, but every single move he makes stirs her.

During the day, I don't stress too much about it, but bedtime is really tough b/c he's particularly cranky and needy then, and my husband is rarely around to help out then.

Does anybody have suggestions for getting her to sleep? No need to suggest the sling, I already use it and she always wakes up within 20 minutes in it, or she wakes up when I try to lay her down. Really, I can't think myself out of this box! Should I just accept 20 minute naps? It seems so unhealthy.

User Tag List