December already! Sept 04 Mamas - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well we are home. The kids got so many toys they arent all going to fit in my house. Guess that gives me some incentive to actually go through the old toys and clean out the junk. One of my really good friends bought 4 yr old dd an entire box of play makeup which she is of course obsessed with. I hate it. Am I crazy? The makeup for little ones thing drives me insane. I think society as a whole forces little girls to start worrying about things like that way too early. Of course I very rarely ever wear makeup so maybe that is where my problem is coming from. Although DH hates it too. She got a bunch of play shoes from the same friend and I have no problem with those but the makeup is driving me crazy. I really want to throw it away but I know it would break dd's heart. I do drink occaisonally and nurse (not large quantities) it was always my understanding it was ok. Everyone always assumes Makynzi is hungry as soon as she cries too. It freaks me out. My fil actually said the other day well maybe she wants "dessert". I didnt know whether to laugh or scream at that comment. I dont have much to contribute on the c-section topic. I had 2 vaginal deliveries with extremely quick recovery times. I was never even sore after either delivery. I cleaned my entire house from top to bottom 2 days after Makyzni was born. I do think that doctors force a lot of women into c-sec just because the women are not better informed. I can't tell you how many people I hear say they had a c-sec because doc said their baby was too big to deliver vaginally. At the same time I dont fault anyone for choosing what they believe is best for them and baby. I just wish more women were informed in general about their options. And another issue that really annoys me when people say they tried to bf but quit because it was too hard! As if making bottles and worrying about keeping them fresh and taking them everywhere is easy. Oh and their is my mom's well formula didnt kill you comment. No it didnt kill me but I had chronic ear infections and allergies which I am almost certain would not have been as bad if I had been bf. Anyways, rant over. Thanks for reading my book if you made it this far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 01:53 PM

Sarah,
You did a great job with the kithen!
Jen~ Good for you for standing up for yourself! I hate that lame excuse, "I did it with you and you turned out fine."
As for C -sections, I know that I made an informed decision for what was safest for me and my daughter, but I still have emotional issues over it. When you have your heart set on something you really want and end up getting the last thing you wanted its hard. Why wouldn't you want your birth of your child to be something you wanted. Yes, I'm thankful that she is healthy, but the thoughts still linger on what I could have done differently. I am fortunate to have a doctor who doesn't believe in c-sections unless it's neccessary. He let me do my thing until it was time he had to intervene.
Christmas was good, but exhausting. She got so many cool things. We didn't end up opening our gifts until the day after. I got a webcam from my husband.
Family is so exhausting though. I can only take my sister in moderation. She is a jealous person. She came over the day before yesterday, stayed the night and left and midnight yesterday. She wants to come over again. I told her that its too much stiumlation for Desmina and she told me that I need to toughen Desmina up. That our parents always had people over when we were younger and we were okay with it. It just annoys me so much! She then says that I need to socialze her like a dog needs to be socialized. She is around people....she just gets overlystiumalted when too many people are around and for too long. She pretty much said that when she has kids she will toughen them up. I told her that the things I do are because its best for her and not because its convienent for me. To that she said she would never have kids. I remember when Desmina first came home, my sister would call. I would be exhausted. She would complain that I never wanted to talk to her. She is so draining on me!
#333 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 02:15 PM

I'm glad you liked the onesie, Stacey!

Is it possible I STILL have not finished Lynsey's shirt? : Ack. The graphic overloaded my computer and I have been tired and busy since the last time I tried. I WILL try again today.

I laughed about your mothers and relatives comments... They tend to do that with me, too, especially the "they're hungry" one. Only, instead of offering to give the baby back to me for another feeding, my family offers to make them a bottle. Everyone is just convinced that there is no way I'm able to produce enough breastmilk for two babies. Um... They're FAT, you know? It seems to be working out OK? My new favorite answer (I used it just this weekend at a family dinner! tee hee) to the "Baby's hungry; do you have a bottle?" question is -- "No, but I do have a boob."

OK, I need to go FLY... I also need to finish writing and sending my Christmas cards (um, OK, let's call them New Year cards, LOL).
#334 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 02:43 PM

UGh! AF showed up yesterday morning. It's not FAIR!! Aidan is 3 months old as of Sunday, why did it have to come back so soon!! : :

I'm another have an occasional glass of wine nurser. Sometimes you just need that little glass of wine. So little of it passes to the breastmilk honestly. It isn't like I'm getting plastered every night or anything. While I was pregnant and nursing DD I didn't have any alcohol (except to taste something a couple of times). With DS#1 I had a glass of wine a few times. With DS#2 the same.

Okay I am so tired of everytime Aidan fusses he's hungry! He CAN'T be hungry ALL THE TIME!! Especially after he's nursed off and on for 2 hours. DH will tell me
"he's hungry, he's sucking on my finger pretty hard". And when I latch him on, he gets mad because he gets a mouthful of milk. Sometimes he just wants to suck. Would be so much easier if he would have taken a paci sometimes. Sometimes he's tired, sometimes he's wet and sometimes he's really sick and tired of DH bouncing and thumping him to actively try to get him to go to sleep. I've rarely found that it works it mainly seems to piss Aidan off. But you can't tell DH that.

I know what y'all mean about "well I did with you and you came out fine". Yeah an people use to not wash very often and they lived too. Doesn't mean it was healthy!!! I keep trying to explain to my mom that it isn't a reflect against her. We just know different things now. And my mom was pretty crunchy too but she still gets a little snitty. Got to be a little bit of a martyr.

No advice about the smoking Jen. We have the same problem with both moms smoke. They are both really good about never doing it around the kids and only outside but man does some of their stuff just reek of it! Honestly neither of them hold Aidan that much when they are around him (not sure about why that it). Neither of them has really tried to make a big effort to learn how to soothe Aidan if he starts to fuss... it's hand him back to Mommy.
#335 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 05:14 PM

i got af back this time at the end of oct. Makynzi was only 1 1/2 months. i went 10 months the first time. i think it may be b/c i am taking the mini-pill. I make sure i take it at the same time everyday like it says. anyone else ever take it or have this experience? i hate it but was told it is either it, the shot or an iud. i have heard too many bad side effects of the shot plus i just dont care for shots. i am considering the iud but just not quite sure it is a good thing? anybody have any experience with an iud?

ETA: we are so done right now. dh is considering a vasectomy but we have to save up some $ before he can do that. if we do decide on another one later we will probably foster and adopt an older boy who needs a family. I can get an iud fairly cheap through our local health department.
#336 of 349 Old 12-29-2004, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkymonkeymom
And another issue that really annoys me when people say they tried to bf but quit because it was too hard! As if making bottles and worrying about keeping them fresh and taking them everywhere is easy.
NO KIDDING! I tell you, there is hardly any bigger pain in the a** than making sure that you have enough formula along, enough storage bottles for the extra 4 oz left over from the 8 oz travel can, making sure you have distilled water to clean the SNS, then there's the issue (for me, anyway) of dealing with curious onlookers' stares when you use the SNS in public. I try to just ignore those. Oh, and nevermind the preparation at home of sterile water, bottles, etc. AND THE COST! OK, I'm done, but I cannot understand how anyone would find formula feeding easier. I know that breast feeding isn't easy, I've definitely had my share of problems and you all know about them but at least you're always carrying your baby's food with you in the right quantity and temperature, and it's always fresh.

My mom also made a comment today about taking Tristan to a rock concert to toughen him up because he's too easily overstimulated! Yeah, let's ruin his eardrums prematurely! He's taking a nice long nap right now. He had a rough morning - couldn't ever figure out what was wrong with him. Eventually he settled down to nurse and take a nap. He fell asleep on my friend Vicki's shoulder this afternoon, too.

Tomorrow we go home. Jo's aunt will meet us in the train station (hopefully it won't be standing room only like it was on the 24th) and get to be the first on jo's dad's side to meet T.

I have to go portion out sterile water! WHOOPEE! 9... more... months... of... formula...

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#337 of 349 Old 12-30-2004, 10:09 PM

We made it back from our trip to Indiana to visit the family over Christmas. It went much better than expected. Jackson tolerated the carseat really well for the 12-hour drive. I'm now a professional at nursing him back there. The family did overstimulate him on Christmas, but overall it wasn't too bad. I was expecting some comments regarding our choice, but instead got a lot of compliments. Everybody thought that my new pouch was really cool and wished they had one. Even complete strangers kept asking me where to get one! Everyone oh-ed and ah-ed over the cloth diapers. My aunts had to personally inspect it and were flabbergasted at how much they have changed.

Jackson has started doing many things in the last week. He's joined in with the beginnings of teething. Even as I sit here and type with him on my lap, he's making nose-dives for my fingers to suck/chew on. I think we may have to try those teething tablets. He now will reach his hand to the top of his head and scratch his head. It's too funny! He's grabbing for everything and has begun anticipating things. DH and I make a "mum-mum-mum" sound as we go into to tickle him, and now he starts smiling and even giggling sometimes before the tickling begins.

Oh, I don't even want to think of AF! It didn't start back up last time until Alex was 22 months old, so I'm hoping for something similar this time around, especially since we're not taking any precautions. Maybe I'll just skip AF all together this time around.

I'm gonna try to catch up on all the posts now.

Happy New Years! Anyone doing anything special?

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#338 of 349 Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 AM

We're heading down to FL to see my family (4 1/2 hours away). Not sure how the car trip will go, though we're trying to plan it during the late afternoon when the twins usually sleep for 2-4 hours. (at least they used to before this week! Is there another growth spurt at 18 weeks??) I hope my milk supply hurries and increases before we get down there; my mom and sister are really panicky about me starving the babies, grrrr.

Lynsey, I finally mailed your cute shirt out today, woo hoo! If anyone else wants a "I AM SPECIAL - I was born at home" shirt, let me know; I printed out 3 extra designs.

Did I mention before that dh finally agreed to let us delay the rest of the babies' vaxes? yay! So they ended up getting the 2 month shots, but that's all for a long while. I'm so glad. And McKenna's crooked neck (torticollis) seems to be getting better, too, as she gets older and holds her head up stronger.

I think about you mamas when I'm cloth diapering or dealing with fussy babies or nursing or even the other day when I was tangled up in my sling. (Not really, but it did feel like I was battling the darn thing.) May your New Year be blessed!
#339 of 349 Old 12-31-2004, 02:55 AM

Punkymonkey -- I wouldn't have been happy about the make-up either. I want to let my little kids be little kids for as long as we can, not encourage them to act older by giving them their very own make-up. Make-up on little kids looks creepy to me, it's like sexualizing little girls (since what else is make-up for), yuck. Also there is just no kind of educational value at all in it. My daughter got high heels for Christmas from my brother and his girlfriend that she has to wear everywhere now. My partner has a real problem with them, but she loves it so we let her since we don't want to make an issue out of it. I think I would probably "lose" the make-up when my daughter seemed less interested in it. Actually I did do that with some make-up she got from her aunt, she's never missed it.

We are also considering a vasectomy for my partner. I feel like two girls is perfect for our family. And my body has taken a beating with the pregnancies and births. Also both of my births have not been good at all so I really don't want to have to go through another one. I've already talked about my c-section, but my first birth was 38 hours long of back labor where I had a prolonged active labor, not fun. I got to 5 cm really fast, but it took over thirty hours to get from 6cm to finally pushing her out. This last time I even took a hypnobirthing class and did all this stuff and really felt like I would have a perfect birth experience, but nope. What sucks too is that my mom had all three of her kids really fast and easy, so I thought for sure I would have an easy time too. I feel like my body has done it's job, now it's time for my partner's body to make the sacrifice. Esp. since both of our girls were surprises for us. I really don't need anymore "surprises." When I feel that itch for a baby again, I'll get a little dog and wear it in the pouch all day :

We get the comment "oh, she's hungry" too. Though not as often as "she looks cold." I think the issue is that I don't put hats on her, she isn't into things being on her head or even to have her head touched so I don't put hats on her unless it's raining or really cold. And I live in Southern California so it's rarely really cold or raining. Today at Whole Foods a lady said, as I was walking by, "oh look at that baby (all squeally)--she looks cold (meanly). I was already past her at that point, but I wish I stopped in my tracks and said something. I'm so done with strangers unsolicited advice and comments. It's like "excuse me, are you her mother? because it sounds like you know exactly what she is feeling. you don't even know what she is wearing because she's tucked all the way into my pouch, how would you even know that she is cold. plus she isn't fussing or unhappy at all, I think that is a great indication that she is perfectly fine." Argh...do I sound bitter?

Favorite Christmas presents for the kids -- a hospital play set and vet play set my mom bought for Chloë and a fun wooden toy we got for LaRue. Oh, and one of my favorite toys that I had to play with is the viewmaster we got for Chloë with vintage Disneyland reels I got off ebay. It's fun to see how it looked in the 50s and how much it has changed. Lots of fun stuff that used to be there isn't there anymore, though most of the time I could see why. Things like bridges to walk on, over water, where it seemed very likely that little kids fell into the water and that's why it was taken out.
#340 of 349 Old 12-31-2004, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I'm a few days behind in posting... Happy New Year, everyone! And Happy Birthday to me. (It was yesterday, Thursday, the 30th.) It seems like we've been either running ragged or in "holiday mode" for a couple of weeks now!

DH and I got a night out with another couple on Sunday to go see the Nutcracker. It was so nice! I wore a formal gown I bought for a friend's wedding 5 years ago! I couldn't believe it fit, and actually looked nice! We had a good time, though I was worried about poor Iain most of the time. We were gone 7 or 8 hours!! (We drove, and had to drop off and pick up our friends' son, etc.) Iain went through the 7.5oz of fresh milk I had pumped for him before the ballet even started! Thankfully my mom got him through without even using the last two ounces in the freezer. But he sure was glad to see us when we got home! :LOL (Is there a "boob-dive" smilie? )

We got to go out again tonight (okay, it's late, it's actually tomorrow now!) for my birthday. My (step)dad offered to come over and watch the boys so he could watch a college football game on cable. :LOL (Thankfully DH hadn't remembered to take the cable box back yet!) This time I had 15oz of milk, and we weren't gone nearly so long, so I came home to 6 oz remaining and just pumped another 6! Of course, we were rushed to get out to a movie, so I forgot to set aside and point out the "easy" diapers for my mom. We came back by the house for DH to put on long pants (we were afraid they'd kick us out of the restaurant if he was in his usual shorts! :LOL), to find that they hadn't changed Iain until his diaper had leaked (forgot to tell them it was time already), then mom wasn't sure what dipes to use, so ended up putting a hemp Muttaqin on him - coverless, of course. So I gathered all my remaining AIOs (most were in the wash!) and left those for her, assuring her that the Mutt would last him until he woke up, but he should be changed right away. When I got home, my mom told me that diaper I was sure would last..didn't. Who knows if it was really soaked through or just user error! Oh, well... one of these days I'll give my mom a full course on CDing. These mini crash courses aren't cutting it! :LOL

Oh - teething. UGH. I'm pretty sure we're in full-fledged teething. If not, I dunno what's going on. Iain is constantly chewing on his hands (or mine). He's been sleeping pitifully. I think someone else mentioned 2-wk-old sleep habits. Here, here. Except at that age, he slept constantly! Now he's just back to waking every 1.5-2 hours. I'm miserable all night being awoken so much - I thought I paid my dues with my last one. I did buy some teething tablets tonight and he's had two doses so far. Hopefully they will be effective! Does anyone know how important it is for them to get under the tongue? I tried that the first time and he got really upset. This last time I just held them and put them in his mouth. He sucked on my fingers (like he's been doing) and ate 'em up.

Samantha, Gabriel got one of those bear dress-up puzzles as a big brother gift. He loves it!

Savannah, I'd love to see pics of the t-shirt! Hope you guys have a great trip!

Pam, Iain loves being tickled, too! I keep trying to figure if it's the sound or the tickling, but now he just reacts to both. :LOL

Jen, glad to hear you'll be headed home soon!

Stacey, the snow was so cool! It was crazy how it actually snowed more SOUTH rather than North! I know some moms near the coast who say they had nearly a foot of snow!! :

I'm sure there's more I've meant to respond to, but I can't remember it all now.

My DH got me an iPod Photo for my birthday. I've finally gotten to plug it in, install the software, etc. Hopefully tomorrow I can really start playing with it. I don't really know what I'm going to *DO* with it , but it was terribly sweet of him to get it for me! In fact, he's spending his own Christmas money on it. I'm thinking about loading it up with pictures of various cloth diapers so I can show them off to curious folks. :LOL

Getting sleepy... a night full of Brazilian gauchos and skewers of scrumptious meats will do that... Hope everyone has a safe and happy New Year!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#341 of 349 Old 12-31-2004, 10:56 AM

Hello! I haven't posted in months, but just had to when I read heatherb's post. Arta is chewing on her hands all the time as well, and waking up every couple of hours after a few weeks of some regular 5 hour stretches! Is this really teething? I thought I read that the hand thing was something else entirely, but at this point I've read so many baby books I have no idea
#342 of 349 Old 12-31-2004, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB
Getting sleepy... a night full of Brazilian gauchos and skewers of scrumptious meats will do that...
GET OUT!! You didn't go to Fogo De Chao did you??? OOOOOH I'm so jealous. We were always going to go there but never did.

Aidan has definitely hit a growth spurt. He's been nursing constantly, sucking on the hands and slepts in 2 hours cycles. No long cycle anymore. But at least he's a big smiler. And he's ticklish and giggles a lot.

Teething tablets- I think they suggest under the tongue because they can be "absorbed" faster that way. Sucking on your finger should still work okay. Yeah I remember the first time I put them under Jack's tongue... you'd have thought I was trying to kill him or something. He HATED that. I had foaming rabid baby. :LOL :LOL He was fine with them as long as I didn't put them under his tongue.

Tori luckily didn't get any makeup for Christmas. :blink What are people thinking?? I can't even give Tori chapstick because I'm afraid she'll eat it because they are all flavored. :LOL She always wants me to "brush" her cheeks with my blush brush when I'm putting on makeup. I usually do a couple of "quick" swipes (not that you can really tell or anything) because she likes it. I'll put blistex on her too because she sees both David and I use it. Otherwise she just asks what stuff is when I put it on. I always tell her 'this is mommy's and we don't play with it right?" She always agrees. Now if I could just keep Jack out of my brushes... :LOL

Well, there's Aidan wanting to nurse again... my little leech.

Happy New Years Everybody in case I don't get back on again today.

#343 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 12:05 AM

Mum2Tori -- Chloë sometimes wants me to put make-up on her when I am doing my make-up, also. Not so much lately. I don't wear blush so she doesn't ask for that, but she does like to have me put lip gloss on her lips. I will put a tiny bit if she asks for it. I don't like to make issues out of little things like that. I'm just not into the make-up kits for little girls....

I was so excited tonight we decided to rent some movies to watch for New Year's Eve and my local video store had Fahrenheit 911 for sale (I know some people might not be into Michael Moore, but I love him) for $10. I can't wait to watch the extras (since I've already seen the movie in the theater). We are also going to watch Anchorman (I wanted something light and funny, plus I think Will Farrell is hilarious) and a documentary on a professional skateboarder from the 80s and early 90s who ended up killing a girl (not light or funny, but I was interested in seeing it). I'm really into skateboarding and skateboard culture. I haven't skateboarded since I got pregnant, though.
#344 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 06:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Happy New Year! (where's the ":sparklingcider"? :LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori
GET OUT!! You didn't go to Fogo De Chao did you??? OOOOOH I'm so jealous. We were always going to go there but never did.
: I confess, we went to Fogo de Chao. Oh my goodness I love that place!! It is just incredible food and SO much fun! I'm getting hungry again... :LOL I think there's one in Dallas, too - though neither Dallas nor Houston is all that local to Austin! If you make your way back here at any point, you should definitely go! And go to lunch - it's $20 cheaper and the meal is exactly the same. Let us know when you're in town and we'll join you! :LOL (Any excuse is a good one!)

The teething tablets seem to be helping Iain. I can see the outline of teeth in the front, and it feels different now, too. If I rub his gums, he'll get very interested in and start sucking on my finger, even if he wouldn't the moment before. I gave him two tablets earlier when he wouldn't go back to sleep, and he got much less fussy immediately. He didn't quite get to sleep, so I gave him the third (as recommended on the bottle), and he passed out instantly! He was just now being fussy and not going to sleep, and once again, he's out like a light after just two tablets. Whew!

cancat, they do "discover" their hands at some point, so they'll be more likely to chew on them regardless of teething - but the combination of profuse drooling, constant chewing, fussiness, sleeplessness, etc., is generally "teething." You might check out Dr. Sears to see what he says about preteething vs. teething. At this point I think Iain is dealing with "real" teething, but it's hard to know until the teeth come through!

Gabriel also loves to have lip balm, as I use it regularly. I rarely wear other makeup, so I don't have to deal with that much with him (thankfully! :LOL). But, I'll let him have a bit of lip balm if he asks. Thankfully no problems here with getting play makeup for Christmas.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#345 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 12:13 PM

Happy New Year September mamas and babes!!

Wow, I would have a problem with the make-up too. I don't know. I guess I just hate the whole concept of make-up and it would bother me that it was already being pushed on my dd that her face isn't pretty enough naturally.

I do paint my toenails and Noah likes to do his too! :

How were your movies, FF? I loved Fahrenheit 911 even though it made me bawl my eyes out.

HeatherB, I'm glad the teething tablets are helping Iain.

Uh oh, boy is lurking.

Quickly, on the period/birth control topic. I am thrilled that I think I am getting my period! To make a long story short, it took great lengths for my fertility to return after Noah. I think it was due to the stupid Depo shot. We want another baby but don't want to get pregnant until Lilah's at least a year. We plan to use NFP and natural skin condoms during my fertile times.

Happy New Years mamas! Off to go play fire with Noah.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#346 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 PM

Happy New Year!

Quick note, I do paint dd's fingernails and toenails occaisonally and if I were putting on makeup and she wanted to play with it that would be ok too. I just think little girls grow up too fast nowadays. I dont want my dd to have something which encourages that.And though I know the gift was given with a good heart I just prefer my dd not to have an entire case of play makeup so she can look "pretty".
#347 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 01:47 PM

AF came for a visit last night. It had been so long, I almost didn't recognize her. But then I remembered how annoying she can be! :LOL

Why are so many of us getting our periods back? Is that normal? Any chance it will stop again as we continue to bf, or is it back for the long haul?
#348 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

We made it home in one piece. The other members of my family have colds - T is sneezing up a storm and Jo is just plain mopey and dragging around. Of course this means that she can't do any work like folding diapers, she just has to stare at the TV. I sure hope I don't get this cold too, or we're doomed.

Heather, happy belated birthday!

Has anyone started a January thread? I think I'm going to go check. If not, I'll start one for us...

it is raining frozen rain. I am sorely jealous of all of you southerners with snow. That's just sick and twisted. Up here it was 40 degrees when we returned home on the 30th.

j

#349 of 349 Old 01-01-2005, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the link to the January thread... jump in! The water may be cold but if you've been in the sauna first, it feels great!!! (Sorry... sort of a MN joke)

j

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page