December already! Sept 04 Mamas - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-09-2004, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaAcorn
Jackson has discovered that he enjoys sucking on his hands. Now if only he can figure out how to do it without poking himself in the eye, he'll be set. He's around 14 pounds now and has pretty much outgrown his newborn/small diapers. I've been scurrying about trying to get mediums for him. He's also a professional spitter-upper. I never considered reflux because he never cries or seems to be in pain when he's spitting up. I think I'm another one that's destined to change his and my own clothes at least twice a day. He's definately not one of the babies that let's the spit up roll down his chin. He's a power spitter and oh so silent about it. I'll be carrying him up by my shoulder walking through the house when I hear "splat!" or the dog grumble because he's been splattered again.
Everything you wrote could be us exactly! With the exception of the dog grumbling. She'd lick it up! She's alway stealing the burp clothes and bibs to lick off whatever is on them.........YUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkymonkeymom
Hi everyone! Im new to MDC. Just wanted to join the sept 04 group. Makynzi was born 9/15/04 7lbs 7.7 oz
Welcome punkymonkeymom! Love the name!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:16 PM

Welcome Mandy Ill add your DDs info to the list tonight when all the kids are in bed.

Wow Chris, no one will be mistaking Naiya for a 1 year old any time soon! Everyone tells me constantly "shes so small." Im thinking "she was almost 10 lbs at birth, she shouldnt be looking so small to everyone"

Leomom, I would let Naiya sleep in the swing if thats where she fell asleep. Usually she sleeps on my bed though. I know you said that after an hour she wakes up fussy, but I think 1 hour is a really good nap... Sometimes Naiya wakes up fussy too, but I dont think its cause shes still tired... Usually shes just trying to get my attention.

Maybe Kate can sense that you are really stressed about her sleeping habits? I dont know, but I know that Naiya and I are exhausted by the end of the day whether she has had several great naps or not.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:30 PM

Welcome Mandy! I'm pretty new here myself

Well Julian had a much better night. He went down at midnight, woke up at 4:30 to eat and then didn't wake up for the day until 9:30. He is also napping a lot better. I think it is because I've been trying not to let him stay up longer than two hours straight. Thanks for the advice Mamas!
Old 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Mel, Punky Monkey is my oldest dd's nickname. Does anyone know a way to prevent frequent ear infections? Makynzi is on her 3rd and doc says 1 more before 6 mos means a referral to an E.N.T. doc for tubes. She is bf and no one smokes.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 PM

Lynsey - everyone says Lucy is tiny, too. Maybe because they both have such petite features?
Old 12-09-2004, 08:44 PM

sharing more pics!
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...MWzEQg&notag=1

Welcome Mandy! Poor Makynzi. Does she use a pacifier? I have heard that can increase the odds for ear infections, though my older child used a pac and didn't have many.

Leomom, I agree with Lynsey that an hour nap sounds good. I'd try different things, like you have been, but maybe that's just what she likes.

Boy needs a banana,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 12-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Welcome Mandy! You are the second person I know how goes by Mandy. That was my nickname when I was little. Started going by my first name when I was in high school. Did anyone ever "sing" the Barry Manilow song to you when you were growing up? (maybe I just showed my age there :LOL)

Sorry no advice on the ear infections. We've been lucky to not have that problem here.

Every so often someone mentions "how tiny he is" about Aidan. The boy is pushing 14+ pounds at least at 10 weeks. I haven't weight him since we moved. I just spotted the box that my "antique" baby scale is in last night. It was my Dad's when he was a baby. I think for most people that are just amazed at how "little" babies are relative to people and children. Not so much that really think that particular baby is really "tiny" for their age. Just that wow babies are so small. Does that make sense?

Kind of like how everyone asks "is he a good baby?" Like I'm really going to say, "No, he's the Spawn of Satan". Its more of a conversation starter than anything.

The house is sooo quiet right now. All three are asleep.

Of course I've probably just jinxed myself. :LOL :LOL Got to go and tell the dog to stop barking before he wakes Jack up.
Old 12-09-2004, 09:43 PM

I need some support, Mamas!

DD just called me to tell me he has a job interview 7 hours away!! I am so sad. All my close friends are here and my entire family. And I've also made some new friends since Kate was born. Now we may have to move to the middle of nowhere where I know no one.

I know I need to be supportive. This would be so good for his career and it's a job he's always wanted to do. I'm so mad at myself for the way I reacted. I tried to be encouraging, but he could tell I was upset, and he kept asking me what I thought. Finally I said something like it didn't matter because I didn't have a choice, etc. I'm so mad that I took some of the excitement away from him.

But by the same token, I feel like throwing a fit and bawling. I don't want to move!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 11:51 PM

Hey-don't worry about it Stacey! Don't feel bad for the way you reacted, but know that whatever is meant to be will be. Honestly!! You never know what is in store for you.....s
Old 12-10-2004, 12:16 AM

Stacey - I would of reacted the same way. Maybe after you have time to digest the idea you'll be more supportive. I'm sure if you end up moving you will meet some awesome people! No matter where you go, you'll always have us!

Mandy - Not sure about how to prevent ear infections. I think it's just one of those things. I use to get them all the time when I was little and finally had to have my tonsils taken out. I've never had any problems since. Never had any issues with the throat either. I'm not much help, sorry!
Old 12-10-2004, 12:40 AM

Hi Mandy! I would recommend taking Makynzi to see a Chiropractor. Having her adjusted regularly should keep the ears clear. It made a big difference in my 2 year old.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
Old 12-10-2004, 02:17 AM

Hallesmom, Where in North Texas are you? I am in the Ft Worth area. Do you post on APConnect?

Chrissy those pictures are great! Lilah looks SO sweet sleeping (and awake!!!)

Mandy, I 2nd Heathers advice about using a chiro! Also you might want to think about using a different treatment method when/if your DD gets another infection. With my son (who is almost 7), I found that once I stopped giving him antibiotics and started using something as simple as garlic - mullein oil - or even breastmilk - in his ears, as well as probiotics, the infections stopped. Constant antibiotics are very hard on little bodies... There is a lot of VERY good info in the Health and Healing forum. If you type ear infections into the search you should find tons of threads. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:03 AM

I heard BM is good for a lot of other things too.....amazing!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:31 AM

thanks for all of your suggestions. I had not even thought about a chiropractor. Although I would probably have to drive to Atlanta to find one that does infants. I will check into that and also the other suggestions. I hate her being on antibiotics when she is so little!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:41 PM

Hi, Mandy - probably any chiropractor is trained for infants... my chiro adjusts his own babies. Your girls have cute names. Shat would you name a third? How about Malyssa? Did you have a similar boy's name picked out?

Chrissy, your family is so beautiful. I just love that first picture of Lilah, she's like pointing at herself, saying, "I'm the cutest baby ever!" :LOL

Well, my twins are sleeping, so I'd better grab my shower while I can.

We bought our Christmas tree last night and the boys put it up. Yay! I couldn't believe how quickly they did it, and how great it looks. Now I've just got to vacuum up the pine needles and broken ornaments scattered under the tree...
Old 12-10-2004, 02:02 PM

Hi guys! Feeling better this morning. What's meant to be will be with my husband's job. Thanks for the encouragement Hallesmom and Mel!

There was a Mama at my LLL meeting that squirted bm into her son's eye when he had an eye infection (they were camping, so medicine wasn't an option) and it cleared it up before they got back to civilization for medicine!

You guys were SO right about Kate's naps. First of all, once I stopped STRESSING and went with the flow, she stopped waking up crying from her one hour naps. I think she was probably crying because she knew that mommy was going to make her sleep for another hour even though she wasn't tired! :LOL

Welcome punkeymonkeymom! :

Lynsey, Hallesmom is in Plano. She has a 16 month old. We should get together!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom

Lynsey, Hallesmom is in Plano. She has a 16 month old. We should get together!
I'm actually in Dallas!! :LOL But in a location that is very convient to plano/richardson/carrollton/lewisville/frisco/addison! It's pretty cool!
Yes, I sometimes post on apconnect.com-same user name, I usually just read over there though....

Ok, I didn't realize this was "Sept 04 mamas" thread and I am definatly out of place! :LOL I guess it was just happenstance when I logged on and clicked "new posts" that I saw your name, leomom, as the last poster on a thread!! I guess I just assumed it was diapering!!
Old 12-10-2004, 02:36 PM

NAK
Stacey- thanks for the welcome.
Savannah-I wanted to name Makynzi Makenna but DH didnt go for it. I dont know if we will have a 3rd. Dh says we are done but we will see . It had to be an "m" name or she would have felt left out. We already had Matt, Mandy and Madyson. lol-wasnt planned that way, Madyson was the only name dh & I agreed on 1st time around. We spelled the names different so that even if the names were popular the girls could still be unique. (coming from 2 parents who spent their school life as 1 of many Matt's and Mandy's). A boy would have been Madox. Where are you in GA? Im sure you are far from me. Everything is.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:03 PM

Yes, Mandy, I'm on the south side, far from you. Check out our area tribe get togethers thread here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4&goto=newpost

I have only joined them once downtown, but you might have better opportunity to mingle...

BM in eye and ear is great I've heard, but remember not to do it if you have thrush. We still have it a little, so I am not using mine as "medicine" just now. Thankfully I haven't needed to.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:11 AM - Thread Starter

breast milk is also good in the nose when baby is stuffy.

The chiro has me eliminating sugar and spicy food from my diet to see if it is related to Tristan's spitting up. Sure doesn't appear to be. and rats is it hard to cut out these foods - no bread (has honey), no flavored yogurt, no hummus (too much garlic), absolutely no sweets of any kind how selfish of me to be wishing that T keeps spitting up so that I can return to eating sugar. Yet I am still really sick of spit-up.

Right now I myself am not feeling so hot, tummy feels very upset. Glad we're going into the weekend so that maybe Jo will give me some extra sleep time tomorrow morning. She called in sick to work yesterday - it un-froze here and the mold and other allergen count is really high, and we both had sore throats - and she slept until 3 PM!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could do that!

Tristan has not been nursing well this evening - lots of thrashing around, kicking, yanking off - Jo is currently giving him a bottle. Good thing, probably, if I tried to nurse him I would just get frustrated with him.

I have to third or fourth the suggestion for chiropractic care to prevent ear infections, and do you nurse lying down? Supposedly that can sometimes cause fluid to collect in the eustachian tubes.

Stacey I feel your pain, I hate the thought of moving any time, much less with a baby! I hope things work out for the whole family... I think that crying at the prospect of moving is a very legitimate reaction!

well, I'm ready for bed. Wonder if anyone else is.

xo, j.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 12-11-2004, 01:21 AM

Lynsey and Savannah - I feel so bad, but I am just not going to be able to do the birth announcements. I am feeling so overwhelmed, etc. So sorry! How is it two weeks from Christmas already?

Chrissy - what a gorgeous family pic! I hope you get that big and put it on the walll!

Jen - hope you feel better soon!
Old 12-11-2004, 03:46 AM

Sarah, that's OK, though I was really looking forward to your artistic creation! Have a joyful, unstressed Christmas!
Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 AM

: YAY! I finally figured out how to post a picture of Kate! Here's the one we made into our holiday cards:

http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&...d=714218729105
Old 12-11-2004, 01:03 PM

That is the cutest picture! Makynzi only nurses lying down at night and most nights she sleeps through. If she does wake up to eat it is only once. I am going to see about the chiro. Not sure if our insurance pays for it. I will try the bm thing too next time she gets one. I really want to find a way to prevent it if at all possible so she doesnt have to get tubes. She does take a paci but so did my older dd and she has only had 2 ear infections in 4 years! Pretty good considering she was preemie.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 PM

No fair, punkeymonkey, your dd only nurses once through the night! I'm so jealous. :LOL

Kate woke up every hour to eat last night starting about 2:30. Is this about the time for another growth spurt? Do thos occur at relatively predicatble times or just whenever?
Old 12-11-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, Kate has exactly as much hair as Tristan!! :LOL

feeling better today, obviously something did not agree with me. I was worried that Tristan was going to be up early to eat a proper meal after nursing in bed at 2:45, but he went back to sleep and slept until 6. When he was done eating I tried to put him back to bed but his stuffy nose frustrated him so I took him downstairs and set him in his chair at the dining room table and let him watch me read the paper, and he got sleepy again so I carried him back to bed around 8 - and we slept til 10, yay!

Going to take a shower while the rest of the family is content.

j with a still rumbly tummy. hm.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 12-11-2004, 04:25 PM

Stacey, that's a great picture! What a clever idea, and beautiful girl...
And I believe there is a growth spurt right around 13 weeks. You also might be just too available! I'd try turning your back on her in bed, so she doesn't keep waking up smelling your milk. Mine still snuggle me, just don't wake up hungry as much anymore.

Jen, yay for rest!
Old 12-11-2004, 06:01 PM

[QUOTE=JenInMpls]Wow, Kate has exactly as much hair as Tristan!! :LOL

Arowen is a baldy too!

Tomorrow is my 30th birthday. Ahhhh.... It's also the anniversary of Arowen's conception. I'm so glad to have her.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:57 PM

My mom says I didn't have hair until I was 2!!! Poor Kate! :LOL

Wardermom, happy birthday! : That is so funny, my 30th birthday is on the 21st..and also the anniverary of Kate's conception! :LOL

User Tag List