December already! Sept 04 Mamas - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We interrupt this evening to bring you this commercial message - mama's herbal soaps (which are the BEST wahm soaps I have ever tried) is having free priority shipping until Christmas. (I don't know her at all or anything, but I love this stuff). I am especially crazy about her baby butterfly soap. I just got 5 bars that I'm going to give out as gifts, so I could smell a variety of them, now I have some incentive to order a bunch for myself.
#242 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 12:46 AM

Hah! Samantha, my dh does get his laundry in the hamper, but those wadded up socks and shirts with the arms inside out drive me BONKERS!

Reid is still not feeling well. You'd think that all those extra breastmilk pounds would provide more portection against the darned average cold. At least I don't have to worry over him not nursing as much, I guess. Poor baby.
#243 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 01:06 AM

We just got back our first family portrait today (taken last week). I posted it in my shutterfly album in my siggy. 'Night all.
#244 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 03:32 AM

Those are great pics, Stacy! Were you guys tickling him to make him smile that big?

Chrissy hit a hot topic, ha ha! Heather, I also have to send my son to odd places to find clean underwear. Usually it's in the computer room, on the futon...
#245 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 09:10 AM

Actually, for the most part now I do each person's laundry alone (except for whites, which get mixed up some), as I have a hamper for each kid in their room. No sorting one kids' clothes from another is much quicker and easier. I drag a hamper downstairs, toss stuff in the wash, pulling whites out as I toss them in, pop them in the drier, fold directly, back into the hamper to be carried up and put away again. Repeat until the white pile is big enough for a load. The white's do sit around pending sorting and folding, but it's mostly undershirts and socks that it doesn't matter if they're wrinkled.

This has actually prompted my 6 yr. old ds to say "Hey, mom, how come my clothes aren't wrinkled anymore?"

And I thought they didn't care or notice!
#246 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 09:59 AM

Stacy I like your family portrait. We are going to have ours done on the 26th. First family portrait we have ever done since Grant and I got married. My parents and sister will be joining us as well since there hasn't been a family portrait of my parents, sister, and I since 1995. My parents want a pose of them and the boys and I am also hoping for a pose with everyone. Thankfully we have the last appointment of the night.

David is teething as well. I need to get some teethers for him. I tried to give him one of Christopher's old ones and Chris about had a heart attack over David using his teether. David will have some in his stocking as well. Hylands is saving the day though.

I forgot to add that Grant and I had a date night Friday night without the boys. The gal who runs the MMO program that Chris is in, offered to watch both boys for us so we could take Grant's boss up on her offer. Grant won an award at work, and she emailed Grant telling him to take me out to dinner and to send her the bill! We had a wonderful night. The best part was Shelley asked me to leave my pouch behind. She carried David most of the night while she was watching the boys. When we came to pick them up, David was peacefully asleep.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#247 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 AM

nak

i love the famiily photo stacy! i am really hoping to get some family pics over christmas. we only have 1 since we left the hospital and dh's head is halway cut off in it. :

i was a cleaning fanatic before kate was born. now my bathroom corners have cobwebs- and that's the room i clean the most!

my biggest propblem though is the finances. i'm handling them for us, but not very well. i haven't followed my budget or logged my spending since kate was born...and i really think it's going to catch up with me this month. the worst part is that dh doesn't know what a crappy job i'm doing with the money these days, and he's so busy with 2 jobs so i can stay home...i can't bring myself to tell him that i haven't had time to keep up with my spending, and that has caused me to overspend! but...we start a new year in a couple of weeks and it'll be better! i just have to try to stay under control...and off the tp..for the next 2 weeks!

ok...teething!!! i'm drowning here. kate is so miserable....i can't tell if the hyland tablets are helping or not...of course my pedi said not to use them, to use orajel...but that didn't work and i don't like the idea of using it anyway...i've given her 2 hylands tablets three times...should i give her 2 every hour, like it suggests for fussy babies? she's definitely fussy! should i use it every hour to try to prevent her pain, or wait for her to complain? does it work immediately? she seems to calm down about 10 minutes after i give it to her, but i don't know if it's the tablets or if she's just worn herself down by that time. and if the tablets and orajel aren't working, does that mean that it's not teething? the signs all seem to be there...what do you mamas think???

does teething cause them not to nurse as much..i feel like she doesn't nurse as long or often during the day, and at night she hasn't nursed more..just the usual amount...

also....what's the deal with teethers? will she use one if she is barely picking up toys and holding them?

TIA for your advice again..and again...and again...what would i do without you guys???
#248 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 09:24 PM

pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...MWzErA&notag=1

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#249 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 09:48 PM

Cute Chrissy! I love the one with you and Lilah!
#250 of 349 Old 12-19-2004, 10:13 PM

aw, thanks!

#251 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
Those are great pics, Stacy! Were you guys tickling him to make him smile that big?
No, the lady at Sears that took the pics had a button on a long cord to the camera, and she would come up and talk to him and make faces at him then jump out of the way and hit the button to snap the photo! He seemed to think she was pretty funny!!

Chrissy - what a coupla cuties!

Well, pray for us everyone - we are flying home tomorrow at 9am. Our first flight with a babe, and me hoping I don't get groped by the evil TSA. Dh will be wearing his CO hat - maybe the sight of an active duty naval officer will keep them at bay.
#252 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow! What great pictures, Stacy and Chrissy!

I finally finished creating a calendar with pics of the boys to send to ALL of their grandparents and great grandparents - that's 9 calendars going to family, plus one for us! Whew! Anyway, here's a link if anyone wants to see it: http://www.cafepress.com/gengifts.15...?zoom=yes#zoom At the bottom of the page you can see all the images we used, and I think you can click for larger ones. Anyhow, that took several hours to pick, resize, upload, etc.! I'm so glad it's done and it all fit on my credit card : We've never used credit for Christmas, but we're waiting on a big reimbursement (should be here Wednesday). Thankfully I think we'll get everything taken care of, then pay off the cards again!

Anyway, gotta go spend time with the family and finish choosing gifts for in-town folks.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#253 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 01:13 AM

Heather,

That calendar is sooo awesome! I am making a scrapbook one, but yours is so cute I think I'll use that site next year!

Kate had a better day..only got fussy/uncomfortable a few times!
#254 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
nak

ok...teething!!! i'm drowning here. kate is so miserable....i can't tell if the hyland tablets are helping or not...of course my pedi said not to use them, to use orajel...but that didn't work and i don't like the idea of using it anyway...i've given her 2 hylands tablets three times...should i give her 2 every hour, like it suggests for fussy babies? she's definitely fussy! should i use it every hour to try to prevent her pain, or wait for her to complain?

We've been going through similar issues with ds. He fusses and seems more uncomfortable in the evening, so we just tend to follow his cues and give him the tablets when he seems to need them. He also can't really grab things like teethers and have control putting them in his mouth, so we will give him little stuffed animals that are easy to grab for him to chew on, or if we want him to chew on a cold cloth or something, we will hold it in his mouth for him.
I'm not sure about the nursing. Mine seems to be nursing less lately but I wonder if he's just more interested in the world around him and less on the comforts of nursing.
It sure is hard to see your little one uncomfortable and in pain, though. When he gets to the point where he is cutting teeth through the gums and is really uncomfortable, we will most likely give him infant Tylenol. It's not something I want to do (especially now) but when he gets a little older we will use it on occasion so he's more comfortable.
BTW, why did your pedi tell you not to use the Hyland's?
#255 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:02 AM

Chrissy - your piercing looks great and I LOVE those longies on Lilah! Does the shirt match?
#256 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:11 AM

Dmick,

My pedi suggested not using Hyland's because the herbs are not monitored by the FDA and so there could be other things in the fields with the chamomile, etc. It's basically the same reason lots of doctors will recommend you don't use herbal remedies like St. John's Wort, Echinacea, etc. You just never know what you're getting. I still used them though because the orajel doesn't work and I don't like using tylenol very much.

Here's to hoping we all have a good week and happy, stress free holidays with happy, comfortable, and healthy babies. Hey- it could happen!
#257 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:14 AM

Stacey - don't worry about any of that. They are homeopathic, not herbal and therefore have extremely small amounts of the remedies.
#258 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 AM

Thanks Sarah! Someday I'd love for you to educate me on some homeopathic terms and remedies. It all fascinates me. Plus, I'd love to be able to know more when speaking with my pedi. It's annoying to have to say, "OK." just because I don't know any better. I want to become more informed. If there's a book anyone can recommend, I'd love to read it. Thanks!
#259 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

leomom - I gotta recommend Miranda Castro's Homeopathy for Pregnancy, Birth and your baby's first year. Very good book and does a LOT of explaining of what homeopathy is.

Why am I not in bed?

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#260 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
Heather,

That calendar is sooo awesome! I am making a scrapbook one, but yours is so cute I think I'll use that site next year!

Kate had a better day..only got fussy/uncomfortable a few times!
Thanks! We used CafePress last year (since I had my shop there already), but before that used Ofoto. We really liked how CafePress makes "real" calendars - Ofoto's are single sheets for each month (attached at the top, not the middle), all on photo paper - nice picture quality, but you can't write on them with normal pens. Anyhow, I'd love to do scrapbook calendars! (Though not 10 of them! :LOL) I love card making, but haven't gotten into scrapbooking - yet! I'm signing up to be a Stampin' Up! demonstrator next month, and will be getting the scrapbooking add-on for the demonstrator kit. I'm hoping that'll give me a push to get started!

So glad Kate is doing better! Iain's doing a bit better - actually got happy a few times! He's responding to tickling his tummy, which is too cute! I don't recall Gabriel ever laughing over that, but who knows if we even tried. Anyway, it's so nice to have them start feeling and acting a little better!

I have Hyland's teething tablets on my list next time we're at the store... I know Iain is teething, and Orajel definitely doesn't work. I've heard that the motion of rubbing is more likely the helpful part, not the medication itself. I'd love to hear more explanation of homeopathics. I know I got some after labor, but now I don't remember what or what they did. :LOL

Off to finish Christmas cards and get to bed...

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#261 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 11:24 AM

I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the posts yet, and I'll be away for the holidays, but I thought I'd pop in for a quick update on us. We had our own Christmas here on Saturday morning since we're leaving for Indiana bright and early tomorrow. It was a wonderful day! My in-laws from Texas sent our presents so we could open them at the same time and boy did they do an awesome job shopping for us! They got me a KKAFP that I've been lusting after for 6 months and a GC for Jackson for some new diapers! They got Alex some Thomas wooden train stuff. We had a great day playing with our new toys and things.

I thought today would be crazy enough with me trying to clean and do laundry while packing for all of us for our trip, all while putting in a full work day, but it has just gotten crazier. We woke up this morning to no heat! Our furnace is not working at all! The water is messed up in some way too, but I haven't figured that one out yet. I'm waiting for a call from our landlord. Ugh!

Jackson is all cuddled up in the fleece pouch on me taking a nap, so he's all cuddley and warm, meanwhile, I'm trying to keep my 3-year-old from stripping and running around naked. Crazy kid! At least we have a fireplace that I'm attempting to keep a fire in to warm us up a bit.

Off to tend the fire!

Happy Holidays to everyone in case I don't post between now and then.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#262 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 04:16 PM

Ok...now Kate is pooping like once very 2-3 hours. She's usually an every other day girl. Is that diahreah? Could that mean she's sick, or could it be from the Hyland's tablets? I really don't want to go back to the pedi (just went on Friday!) only to hear again that nothing is wrong...but I also don't want to ignore a any major signs. Advice?
#263 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 04:32 PM

Stacey - diarrhea usually smells really funky. Its pretty normal for babies patterns to change.
#264 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

dr sears say: what affects one end willl affect the other. if she is teething there will be changes in her diapers. a homeopathic remedy will stimulate change for which it is indicated; if you take it too long it will prove the remedy and you will show as an aggravated version of the symptoms; but if it is the wrong remedy, nothing will happen.

many drs will not recommend homeopathy because they do not understand it. it's also something you can spend a lifetime studying - you have to do a serious taking of the case before you decide on a remedy instead of just applying something to treat a symptom. Once again - try Miranda Castro's book, it is super!

heather what you had after birth was likely arnica, it is for healing tissue damage - sore muscles, bruising, etc.

Tristan snores a greeting from the sling.

j

#265 of 349 Old 12-20-2004, 06:55 PM

Hi, ladies,

Taking a break from FLYing around my house (thanks, Sarah!!!) while the babies are napping to check email and say hello. (www.flylady.net) So busy lately! Once I decided that I needed to be a better housekeeper, all my free time mysteriously disappeared. So all my craft projects are on hold, I still haven't finished Lynsey's tee shirt : (I DID have to buy another shirt in that size; I was out)... no scrapbook sessions for a month... waaaaaaaahhh!

But I must say, it sure feels great to be able to see my living room carpet, and walk around without tripping over something. My kitchen sink is sparkling, I don't walk out to the garbage can or mail box in my PJs and wild hair, and when I do laundry lately, nobody knows it because it gets immediately put away! Wow. Oh, I even cleaned my funky shower this morning while I was taking my shower. Then of course I couldn't leave the bathroom with a dirty toilet when my shower looks so clean... Oh, and I did my first 27-item fling boogie thing. THAT felt cathartic! You run around your house quick as you can with a garbage bag and find 27 things to throw away. Then immediately toss the bag without a second thought. I can't believe I kept a whole shelf (in my living room of all places, for everyone to see) of broken toy airplanes and gliders. GONE! And last year's phone books... GONE! Now on to the second part of the 27 fling boogie... Run around and find 27 things to give away, then immediately put the box/bag in the car and don't open it again. Take it to the donation center. OH! I even cleaned my bathroom sink today too. (You just don't know how ODD all of this is for me!) Having such a clean sink inspired my dh to clean up our messiest kitchen counter while he was home for lunch.

I was starting to stress about all that needs to be done for Christmas until last weekend, when I said, WHO CARES? I have TWO infants!!!! If the cards go out in January, who really cares? I'm pretty sure everyone would be astonished I was able to get cards out at all, much less on time, and with handmade gifts... I'm getting more written now that I'm not stressing over it, go figure.

I love the pictures, Chrissy. And Heather, the photos you picked for your calendars are really fantastic. The family will love those! Next September it will be neat to see how different Iain looks on his first birthday from the calendar that month...

OK, off to find giveaway stuff, then start some laundry. Oh, and my flylady email said I should be starting dinner now. THERE's something I never do until like 7 p.m.! This may even help us get Nicolas to bed earlier, hark!

Merry Christmas and happy travels to those of you taking off.
#266 of 349 Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM

you go savannah!! you inspired me and i actually bookmarked the site. now let's see if i ever go there and read it.

heatherb, i just looked at the pics for your calendar and they are so beautiful!! i LOVE the one of the boys in orange on the rocks by the water. so so pretty. what a wonderful gift. i am doing that next year, definitely!

getting ready to go help out with the christmas party at noah's preschool.

happy tuesday!

#267 of 349 Old 12-21-2004, 01:33 PM

leomom-the runny and frequent pooping is just another side effect of the teething. Makynzi has had it from the antibiotic she was on and the pedi said the teething just makes it worse too.

I have got to check out this flylady thing. My house has not been truly clean since right after I got home from the hospital. I guess my nesting urge wore off and the exhaustion set in. Im fighting everyday to just keep the dishes done and a walkway through my house. the laundry is forever behind and never folded. it gets left in my bedroom in laundry baskets and then ends up all over the floor from trying to find stuff. And of course that makes the laundry cycle even worse because then I dont know if the clothes on the floor are clean or dirty. im off to try to get my house presentable before christmas gets here and we leave to go out of town that afternoon to visit with the rest of our family.
#268 of 349 Old 12-21-2004, 03:06 PM

Mandy~ My house isn't clean either. I promosied myself though that I will clean it today when she takes her nap. If she'll let me get up that is.
Savannah~ I may check the flylady thing too.
#269 of 349 Old 12-21-2004, 03:07 PM

Jen, I have the homeopathy book in my shooping cart on amazon. i'm going to order it after the holidays when i'm not so broke!

It's my 30th birthday today!! And the day Kate was conceived last year. My mom is taking me to lunch and dh and I are going to our first movie since Kate was born. My mom is going to watch her while we sneak out after she goes to bed!

Well, the teething pain seems to have gotten better, but she still has all those poopie diapers. I'm seriously considereing switching to sposies for a few days because I'm down to like 2 clean dipes and she's just pooping away! Who can tell me the story behind the 7th generation dipes?

My family is starting to come in today for the holidays, so I might not get to check in as much. Hope everyone has a GREAT HOLIDAY!!!
#270 of 349 Old 12-21-2004, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

stacey - we like the 7th gen diapers for out and about and travel.

Just got boy happily into maya wrap, going to go walk him, he's ready to nap.

j

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page