Nov/Dec 2003 December Thread!!!!!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 273 Old 12-01-2004, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought since it is a new month that we need a new thread!

Going to the ILs tonight for Evan's first BD party! His BD isn't until the 10th, but we are also celebrating my niece's 8th bday ( today) and FIL's bday( the 7th). I will take plenty of pics!

Later y'all!!!!
#2 of 273 Old 12-01-2004, 03:48 PM

OMGracious! It's December already?! Where does the time go? And how is it possible we have 374 posts in one month :LOL We have got to be the est group in MDC :LOL

forgot to add - Have a great time Liz!
#3 of 273 Old 12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
bec

I just sent out email invitations for Emily's birthday party!

It seems like I'm not as organized this time around like I was for Katie's first. We had like 15 people the first time around. This time we are just having my family and a couple of friends. Poor baby. I'll make it up to her when she's three and really cares about the party!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#4 of 273 Old 12-01-2004, 11:48 PM

sage has 4 teeth poking thru...2 on top on either side of her 4 top ones, and 2 on bottom on either side of her bottom ones. she has been super-cranky today!!

ttfn

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#5 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 03:08 AM

Happy Birthday Ellie

Angelica cut another tooth on the bottom but the swollen gums is covering it up as usual. She has so many swollen bumps in her little mouth. I feel so bad for her when they all come in.
She is still mostly cruising around the furniture but will attempt 1-2 steps on her own now.
She just went to sleep about 1/2 hr ago so if I go now I might get to sleep alone for a few minutes before she wakes. I miss sleeping alone sometimes.
3am this morning (wed) I woke to the thump o her crawling off the couch. No cries, just the thump. What was she thinking being up at that hour???
#6 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 11:57 AM

My sister lives in Boston and asked if we could have DS's b-day party when she came home for Christmas, so the party's on Christmas Eve day. We got him a couple of wooden toys (block train and sorting block) for his b-day and a wagon for Christmas. I caved and got one of the less-expensive Radio Flyer models since I was getting some resistance on the home front over spending $300 on the one I really wanted to get . : This way we can try out the whole wagon thing with a less-expensive version (with seat belts, even, so he can't bail out the side and concuss himself). We can always go back and get the bigger one later, when we have another baby and the wagon's proven to come in handy. Besides, this way I get to be fiscally responsible. Ugh.
Think I can talk my DH into getting me a Dyson vacuum for my present now?
#7 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 12:49 PM

:
Ellie!

:
Casmi~12/02/03 Ava Grace
BAU3~12/02/03 George
Sheena~12/07/03 Stella
Zaq001~12/08/03 Leland Russell
Ilaria~12/08/03 Caroline Maeve
MuttiLiLi~12/10/03 Brynn Louise
CajunMama~ 12/10/03 Evan James

~Christy crochetsmilie.gif, mom to DD Sage (12-2003) joy.gif and DS Isaac (04-2012)  babyboy.gif, wife to Josh geek.gif.

#8 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 12:54 PM

jennifer~~i like both wagons, and the one with seatbelts sounds safer than one without. very cute tho!

Sage's teeth are really bothering her. we didnt sleep that much lastnight, and on top of that, she decided she wanted to get up and play at 5:30am!! I was pooped and put her in her bed. she played contentedly and i slept, lol. i think we may attempt a nap, not sure tho.

ttfn

#9 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonnymoose
Think I can talk my DH into getting me a Dyson vacuum for my present now?
OMG tell him that you MUST have a Dyson. It is the best vacuum- especially if you have pets and a babe. I still love playing with mine and I have had it about 9 mos :LOL I never thought that I would get so excited about a household appliance.

I hear ya on the teeth/no sleep thing, Christy. Same here. He woke up what seemed like every 5 minutes last night :Zzzz On the plus side, he has 10 teeth so we are half way there!!!

The party last night was, well, strange. More on that later. He got some really weird gifts. My ILs are so bizzare.
#10 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Have I mentioned recently how much I HATE temper tantrums??? Ugh ... we seem to be having one at least once an hour around here. All over things we wants but can't have (knives, plugs/cords, glass jars, to climb in the dishwasher, to climb out of the bathtub, etc.). Its driving me mad! Combine that with the 7th tooth starting to poke through and zero sleep for the last few nights and I'm officially s. I'm beginning to realize that I gave birth to myself. My mother chuckles behind my back. I just know it. On the bright side, my son has decided some meat and some oatmeal are ok so at least he's now consuming some protein and some cereal. Maybe something will stick to his ribs a little so he'll stop waking up 49 thousand times a night? A girl can dream ...

More later ...
#11 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 02:09 PM

yes, we can all dream!!
#12 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 04:16 PM

Alas the child who will not go to sleep has gone down for a nap. I'm so not ready for this stubborn toddlerness. Does anyone else feel like it just started out of no where?

In any event, I had my first successful dumspter dive today! My neighbor across the street is moving/has moved and left one of those Little Tikes cars at the curb for the trash man. So, Henry and I checked it out and its in perfect condition with the exception of being a little sun bleached and really in need of a bath. So its tucked away in my garage now. I'm so excited!! And he really wanted to go in it but it was really filthy so he'll have to forget about it until springtime. But what a find! About a month ago they got rid of a child sized wooden bench and chair that I wanted but I didn't make it outside before the garbage man came. I was very bummed about that -- (1) b/c I didn't get it; but (2) b/c they were dumping this stuff. I don't know why they just didn't donate it or take it to the consignment shop or have a garage sale. It was all in good condition. But they generated tons of trash every week so I guess it didn't seem like a big deal to dump more. Kind of annoying, you know?

Anyway ... hope everyone is doing well and gets some much deserved and needed soon!

PS: What's a Dyson vacuum and why is it so cool???
#13 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
thanks for the birthday wishes. amy, sounds like a great find on the little tikes car. those are always popular. can' type long. doing it left handed while nursing, but wanted to check in...

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#14 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
Kind of annoying, you know?
It is I suppose.
Although, If i'm to lazy to take something in good useable condition(to a consignment shop or anywhere for that matter) I leave it on the curb. Someone always takes it. Maybe that's why that family does it??
#15 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 08:03 PM

On my new computer today.
#16 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WickidaWitch~
It is I suppose.
Although, If i'm to lazy to take something in good useable condition(to a consignment shop or anywhere for that matter) I leave it on the curb. Someone always takes it. Maybe that's why that family does it??
Unfortunately, with the exception of me, no one ever took the stuff. I guess my problem is more with the lack of willingness of anyone around here to have anything "used" in their house, which means no one ever dumpster dives. And I totally understand why it would go to the curb instead of elsewhere. She was a busy working mama of 3. I'm just also thinking about all the other stuff they threw out over the years. They trashed A LOT of stuff weekly (believe me, more than "normal" people). Sofas, other furniture, electronics, toys, construction materials, carpets, plus all the usual garbage. And I rarely saw them recycle (and we have mandatory recycling here), so I'm sure all of that went into the trash, too.

Ok. I've got to stop judging. Its unbecoming. I apologize. I'm going under my chair now. :
#17 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
Ok. I've got to stop judging. Its unbecoming. I apologize. I'm going under my chair now. :
I dont see how you have anything to apoligize for. You like you recycle, there's nothing wrong with that. If you cant talk about it here where can you??
#18 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 10:44 PM

Subscribing...I'm sorry if I've missed posts and haven't responded much lately ladies Things are really gectic and depressing around here lately. Hubby's ex is at it as usual, we're having major problems with my step-son, also as usual, the anniversary of the accident is coming up and Bran's first bday which should make me happy I guess, but makes me sad too....I seem to be on a major emotional roller-coaster lately, which scares me b/c I was doing so well there for awhile...
Anyways, I will try to catch up soon, it would help if I was getting my emails about updates from MDC :
#19 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 10:45 PM

Amy~~DH's grandma is a dumpster diva, lol. she rides her bike around the neighborhood in the spring w/ a wagon on the back and loads up whatever she sees worth saving, lol. she has found alot of nice stuff, furniture, etc, that ppl were throwing away b/c it was "spring cleaning." she also attends every yard sale she can find. She's taking me with her this spring so i'm hoping to find some cool stuff.

#20 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 11:07 PM

stacy~~

#21 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 11:25 PM
bec

Amy,

I had to laugh about the tantrum thing. In comparison to Katie's tantrums, Emily's are really cute and funny. Just wait! I won't horrify you now, but you should hang out on the childhood years page for a while!

As far as your neighbor goes, they know you have a small child, why don't they walk over and ring your door to ask if you are interested in their stuff? We do that all the time in my neighborhood. It's really nice. That would irk me too.

The car, is it the Cozy Coupe? We love ours (from our neighbors, who got it from her sister, who got it at a garage sale...you get the idea). Just so you know, I have heard that Little Tykes will replace the stickers for free if you call them. I haven't done it yet myself, but will soon as our stickers are in sad shape.

We had a follow up visit with the surgeon today. Everything is looking fabulous in her mouth! We have to have an appointment with the speech therapist in a couple of months, but I expect everything will be fine. She was making new sounds within a week of her surgery. All the right ones too: 'D', 'B', and 'G'. So we're on the right track. They want to check her out in a year, but that is it! I have to say, I never thought a uvula (sp?) was beautiful, but hers is perfect. You would never know she had a gaping hole in her mouth to look at her. That surgeon did really good work (I told him too). I guess it helps that he does like 300 of these a year. He has a lot of practice. But, man, he's an artist!

Oh, and I am officially down to one pump per day! I've been going slowly, so it wasn't uncomfortable. I figure I will do it for a week, then see just pump if when I feel full (if I do). This also marks a new day as well. I pumped in the evening, so Katie didn't nurse today. She didn't ask, so I figure she is ok with it. I doubt this will be it, but I think we're close to her weaning at all. It's kind of odd, because I have been breastfeeding for a combined 4.75 years at this point (if I count the last year as double because Emily and Katie were both breastfed during this time). I think I'm tired of lactating! I want to have more than one drink in a day! I have this fantasy of going out alone for an evening and having a couple of cocktails with some friends!

Bec

#22 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
I have this fantasy of going out alone for an evening and having a couple of cocktails with some friends!
Bec
Some day we'll all get to do that and miss these (baby) days while we're out!
#23 of 273 Old 12-02-2004, 11:41 PM

[quote=bec]I think its the Cozy Coupe. Its not the typical red and beige car; this one's green and beige. I think it originally belonged to one of their older daughters, the oldest of whom is around 10 or so. But I don't care. It was free. And that's great about the Little Tikes stickers. I'll have to check into that as this one's headlights have seen better days ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
We had a follow up visit with the surgeon today. Everything is looking fabulous in her mouth!
That's great for Emily!!! There was a story on NPR a couple of years ago about how some hospital in Toronto (I think) has perfected the art of hernia surgery and basically has a team that only does hernia surgery. The result is that they rarely have complications, they've shortened surgery time incredibly, recoveries are fast, and patients rarely have a recurrence (which is common with hernias). The point of all of this is that if your surgeon is doing 300 a year, he's the expert and you should've expected the amazing results. Its great that you were able to find someone so competent and experienced. Just the perfect surgeon to be working on your dd. Interestingly, as another aside (I'm full of random information tonight :LOL), the current issue of The New Yorker has an article about how treatment at one hospital vs. another can drastically change your prognosis, even when the same protocols are followed (they used cystic fibrosis as the example). Fascinating stuff now that I've bored you all ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
I want to have more than one drink in a day! I have this fantasy of going out alone for an evening and having a couple of cocktails with some friends!
I think congrats on the pumping. You must feel like you have a ton of time now (maybe???). Its a little sad about Katie maybe beginning the process of weaning, but you've done an amazing thing this last year and you deserve as many drinks as you want. Just bring us along. :LOL

Stacy ... . This must be a really rough time for you. I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone when I say that you should always feel free to work through anything you need to here. We're pretty good at listening even if we are so that we're already on page 2 of this thread. :

I've gotta go wrap some gifts while I have a few moments. I've got stuff to ship to Florida next week.
#24 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 09:38 AM

Bec-I'm so glad to hear Emily is doing so well and that you're so pleased with the surgery...my step son had surgery last year at this time to close the hole in his forehead after the accident and we too are very pleased with the results. It took 30 stitches to close him up but now, unless you look for the scar, you can't even see it and it's right in the middle of his forehead....
Thanks so much to everyone for the kind words and hugs...I really need them right now.
I imagine at least some of you know that last year, after the car accident, in the months to follow I started to fall into a deep depression. A little bit of PPD and post traumatic stress and such. Well, I took some great advice I got here matter of fact and went and did something about it, including trying out an anti-depressant and started seeing a counsellor. After 3-4 months, I really started to feel a lot better and was really proud of myself that I got the necessary help before things got really bad...Well, now, after a string of events the last few weeks including behavioural issues with my step son, dealing with his so-called "mother" and a major fight with dh over something so very stupid, I am afraid I might be slipping back into "that place" again...and I'm so very afraid of that. As I mentioned, the anniversary of the accident is coming up and I have a lot of mixed feelings about that, happy that we all did come out ok in the end but so very angry that it ever happened in the first place. Also, I woke up to our first "major" snowfall today and it hit me like a tonne of bricks that it was on a beautiful day such as this that our lives were nearly taken....I don't know, hopefully it's just a "funk" I'm in and nothing major will come of it but I'm worried nontheless. Dh tries to be here for me but I don't think he understand the depth of my feelings and worries even though I have tried time and again to explain. Maybe I don't even know. Anyway, I see the doc again in 2 weeks, maybe I can talk to him about all of this then....
It's too long of a story to really get into here but I'll give you a short version of my day yesterday:
-dh's ex calls and starts screaming at us b/c she got a copy of my step son's report card (step son has been living with us since she dumped him off on our doorstep 6 years ago), and he's got c's and d's. She starts blaming us for not "fixing" him after she gave him up to us. I tried to explain to her that she can't expect to emotionally abuse a child for nearly 6 years, dump him off and have him "fixed up". Of course she denied any wrongdoing whatsoever and said we're doing a terrible job with him. I usually don't take anything she says to heart b/c she's a complete psycho but I have literally spent the last 4-5 months trying to get help for ds who, b/c of her, has major, deep emotional issues and to top that off, has extreme ADHD. Dh is working 2 jobs right now so the job falls on me to try and get Dylan the help he needs. We struggle through 2-3 hrs of homeowrk every night since he can't pay attention long enough in class to get anything productive done and I actually have to go to the school, everyday, to pick him up and go in to make sure he has everything he needs to complete his homework. (By the way, I guess I should mention that Dylan's "mother" sees him on average of twice a month now). In the last month, I have gotten him into a different school and have set up some counselling from the local child development centre and have had his meds changed around, yet "she" calls here and blames us for everything...uggg. Like I said I know I shouldn't take it to heart but I have put more enery and time into trying to help Dylan lately than anything and to be told that I'm not doing enough by the person who messed his life up in the first place?? Let's just say I completely snapped yesterday, to the point where she actually apologized but the damage had been done....
-then an hour after that phone call, I get a call from Dylan's teacher that he's behind by like 5-6 hours on work and he's not handing anything in or getting anything done. I explained that I can only do so much and I was unaware that he was behind at all since we have been working at least 1-2 hours every night on the homework "I thought" he had. Dylan is a COMPULSIVE liar, which is due in part ot the ADHD so I never ever get a straight story. It's sad b/c I literally never know when to believe him, if ever. It's terrible feeling that way and I know that at least some of his behaviours aren't his fault...but where do you draw the line? Anyway, the teacher and I decided that immediate intervention in required and we'll be meeting wiht the learning resource teacher to try and get him the help he needs...
Just keep in mind that the whole time this is all going on, dh is up in bed sleeping. Yes he works midnight and obviously needs to sleep but part of me just says why? Why does this all fall on me? Why am I even answering the phone when "she" calls? Why isn't dh dealing with his son's issues? I don't know, maybe I'm wrong but I'm feeling a lot overwhelmed right now....
I am so sorry for the novel here but I do feel a little better getting all of that out. By the way, when dh talks about nedding his sleep, sometimes it just drives me since Mr. Branden still isn't sleeping through the night, matter of fact he was up every hour on the hour last night, after I had taken a sleeping pill, hoping to get my head and nerves in check enough to get some sleep for once. It just seems that not just dh but a lot of other people assume that b/c I don't have a "job" that I have to leave the house to do, I don't have a job ya know? Drives me crazy sometimes, especially when 3 kids are more of a job than any other I know (except if you have more than 3, lol).
Before anyone thinks otherwise, I'm not thinking of hurting myself or anyone else (well, maybe dh's ex but... ), I'm just feeling really down again and needed to get that all out I guess. Sorry again for the novel and the OT but I know this is one place I can always get support. You guys are awesome.
Have a good day
#25 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Oh Stacy I don't have any advice for you, just support. I am a veteran of depression, as I have suffered for 6+years and have survived 2 suicide attempts, so I totally understand the overwhelming sinking feeling. I'm so glad that you are talking to us, and getting some help. Have you talked to dh about how you are feeling? Maybe write him a letter? I know that helps me, when I don't want to "talk" to my DH but need to get my feelings out uninterrupted.

Bec- Hooray for the good prognosis! I'm so glad that the surgery was everything you hoped for, and that she isn't worse for the wear. You better call us when you want to go out for the drink

I think we all could use a girl's night out

Tammi- what was that about a NEW computer? Did Santa come early this year....
#26 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 12:47 PM

Stacy- I hope everything will start to get better for you soon.
Get caller id and don't answer the phone when the ex calls. You have enough in your own life to deal with (like you said) and you dont need shit from a dead beat Mom.

Liz-
Early Christmas present from my father. pentium 4, 3 ghz with a 140 gb hard drive. Needed that, I was getting real low on hard drive space with all my picture files.
#27 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 01:52 PM
bec

Stacy - Come here to vent any time.

It looks like Katie may very well have weaned. We're on day two and she hasn't even asked! I'm actually more than ok with that! She's going to be 4 in a few months, and the nursing lately has been really aggravating. She doesn't latch on right, she does weird things with her tongue and teeth, comes off frequently, etc. It's time for her to stop!

All right, ladies, it's December. We're at the end of the road, and we have to facesome hard truths. Our babies are now toddlers. We can't deny it any longer. We need to let go. :LOL I propose that we go invade the Toddler board next month with our thread. What do you say?!

Bec

#28 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~WickidaWitch~
Stacy- I hope everything will start to get better for you soon.
Get caller id and don't answer the phone when the ex calls. You have enough in your own life to deal with (like you said) and you dont need shit from a dead beat Mom.
what she said!! i think it was Dr Phil that said that a SAHM works the equivalent of 2 full time jobs (the only thing i've ever agreed w/ him on, lol), and you are definately putting in overtime with the cranky/teething babe and then trying to organize your SS's schoolwork and everything that goes along with that. I think writing a letter to DH is also a great idea. I have to do that too with my DH b/c sometimes he likes to interrupt and then i forget what i wanted to say, lol, and also I can edit it before i give it to him so I wont say something that might hurt his feelings, ykwim? anyway, talk to your Dr when you can. maybe try some st john's wort...i know its good for PPD, maybe general depression as well...somebody help me on that one... either way i hope you can feel better and resolve all of this soon.

my situation isn't as bad as what you are going thru, but its no fun over here either...we didnt sleep lastnight. I'm starting to get burned out already. I havent' had a decent nights sleep in afew weeks, and I haven't had a moment to myself since before MIL came to stay with us in FL, which would have been august. DH promised he would help out, and since then, i can count the number of times he has changed a diaper on one hand and still have fingers left over!!! he has all the fun and does none of the work. its not that he's a bad dad, he is a great dad, he just doesnt do any of the work of parenting. like i needed to go to the bathroom, so i left DD with him in our upstairs room and didnt say where i was going, i just went. he got MAD that i left her with him b/c he wanted to go to sleep! i was gone maybe 10 minutes. then he nods off and starts snoring, leaving me to handle all the nighttime parenting by myself. yeah, he works a really hard job, but so do i. and I need sleep too. I'm planning on writing something out to give DH, i just am not quite sure how to word everything.

and sage's top teeth are almost out, but the bottom ones are swollen over. poor kid.

#29 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 04:03 PM
bec

Emily signed "all done" today at lunch!!! This might not seem too remarkable, but both my kids have been completely resistant to signing.

We are teething here too, and having the bad nights as a consequence. Emily has four top teeth, and just cut her second bottom tooth as well as her two top molars! I didn't think she was supposed to be getting molars yet? She's getting her teeth in such a weird order. She has almost 6 top teeth (the molars just have the points sticking out, not the flat of the tooth. I don't count it until we've gotten through that!), and only two bottom teeth.

I bought a baby toothbrush too for her the other day. She did really well with it. I think she was excited because she sees me brushing Katie's teeth.

She'll walk across the room for Daddy, too. Not for me. For me she goes down and crawls like mad. It's like she knows she can get around faster by crawling. She is also starting to stand up in the middle of the floor by herself. And she'll just stand for what seems like forever! She's going to take off at any minute now!

Bec

#30 of 273 Old 12-03-2004, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bec
It looks like Katie may very well have weaned.
I propose that we go invade the Toddler board next month with our thread. What do you say?!
Congratulations to Katie! Maybe you'll get to have multiple drinks sooner than you think.
Bite your tongue lady!!!! December ain't over yet!

Christy-
Tell Josh what I tell Paul,
You wanna play, you gotta pay. I didnt make them alone! and I'm not taking care of them all by myself.
Sometimes on weekends I will make Paul stay awake with me when Angelica is up till midnight. why should I stay up alone?? On weekdays I dont really pull thatbecause he does have to drive all day long. I really wouldnt want him to be to tired while driving but weekends, I love to play!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page