Need Xmas gift idea for my almost 7 m/o - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My parents want to buy my DS a gift in the $30 or so range. They were thinking of one of those push toys that Baby can push as he learns to walk, and later ride on when he is big enough, KWIM? I dunno if that's such a great toy. What do you think? Do you have something else to suggest?

Partly I'm thinking it will get rammed into our nice wooden bookcases so maybe that's my hesitation.

TIA!!!
#2 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM

Hmmmm I have asked for clothes for dd because she is about to outgrow everything again.

From us, we got her a really cool fisher price activity table that she can use their sensory blocks with. She will be able to sit and play and then pull herself up on it. The blocks are really cute and she will really have fun with them. The table was about 40 bucks I think but the blocks are sold in different styles and amounts.

Ella also really likes simple wooden blocks. She loves banging them together and knocking down things we build.

I would avoid the push toy for now, she is a little young for that and it will probably just make you crazy. They can get that for her for her 1st birthday or something when she can be outside with it!!!

Our babes are born the same month....they are at a great age huh!!?
enjoy!
sarita
#3 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 12:03 PM

You will probably get a lot of things rammed into your nice wooden book cases...

My brother is getting our 10 month old a sled. And the inlaws got her a table and chairs set from JC Penney (but I don't know how much that was). Your dc will probably love whatever they get...
#4 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 12:19 PM

Hmm, 7 months is pretty early for a walker-toy, unless she is a VERY early walker, Probably, as a pp suggested, an activity table type of thing (Fisher Price has a nice one without all the battery operated noise and lights) to pull up on and practice cruising. Until he is quite steady on his feet, most of those things will just run away on him and throw him down (the ones that convert to ride-ons tend not to have anything to slow them down).
Fern was a very early walker, but she would not have been able to use/enjoy a push walker yet at that age.

nothing more to say I guess :
#5 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 12:38 PM

My Ds #2 is your baby's age also!!
Might I suggest some very simple wooden toys or maybe an organic cotton doll. They have a link to a great shop, three sisters toys up at the top of this site (or just got o three sisters.com), also Rosie Hippos toys and Magic Cabin, although I just got some great toys from three sisters and it is a sweet, pregnant mamma in Florida working out of her home and her prices are great as is shipping, so I'd try her first.
Have a great first Christmas with your little one!!
#6 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 01:16 PM

I found some inexpensive wooden toys at Big Lots (you have to look really hard to find them!) and loaded up. For DS, who'll turn 7 months on Christmas Day, I got: wooden blocks, wooden shape sorter, wooden rings-on-a-pole toy, wooden peg board, and a wooden train made up of blocks - all for about $30.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#7 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yes, he is young for the walker-thingy but we figured we could put it away till he's ready...he won't care since ripping up wrapping paper will probably be his main focus on Christmas Day! I like the suggestions about wooden toys. And the simple push-toy by FP. Will hunt around a little on the websites suggested too.

Thanks!
#8 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Angle
My Ds #2 is your baby's age also!!
Might I suggest some very simple wooden toys or maybe an organic cotton doll. They have a link to a great shop, three sisters toys up at the top of this site (or just got o three sisters.com), also Rosie Hippos toys and Magic Cabin, although I just got some great toys from three sisters and it is a sweet, pregnant mamma in Florida working out of her home and her prices are great as is shipping, so I'd try her first.
Have a great first Christmas with your little one!!
I tried threesisters.com and it didn't work. If anyone can help me find it, let me know. Thanks!
#9 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 03:35 PM

Take a look at The Playstore. I think they're online. They've got wonderful wooden toys for kids of all ages. Most are imported from Europe (Germany especially), so they're a little expensive. But they aren't plastic and they aren't "smart" toys with bells and whistles that will drive you crazy and keep dc from using his imagination. Grandpa just sent ds a wooden helicopter, dump truck, and little wooden balls that sit on a work bench for pounding. Ds loves them all.
#10 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 03:51 PM

I like all the wooden toys like what mothering advertise waldorf style get somthing for the future.
on ebay you can get a really cool tire horse swing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...943193404&rd=1
#11 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 03:53 PM

#12 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradley method mom
I like all the wooden toys like what mothering advertise waldorf style get somthing for the future.
on ebay you can get a really cool tire horse swing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...943193404&rd=1
That is a cute Tire Swing!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#13 of 13 Old 12-13-2004, 11:56 PM

I know, it is on my xmas list
I really wanted a dragon, but I dont see them there

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page