Holding a baby causes spinal problems???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 12-19-2004, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine insists that becasue Im holding my baby when she sleeps that I could cause back problems. That she "needs" to be sleeping flat on her back.
DD is 9 mos old and sleeps SOOO much better when its with me.
So of course when my friend told me this I just brushed it off. But theres no way shes going to just "take my word for it" Anyone know of any AP friendly websites I could point her to that say flat out that theres NOTHING WRONg with HOLDING your baby!!!???????

(ps. This is also my friend who INSISTS that I should give DD a bottle of formula with some rice in it becasue "she should be sleeping through the night by now, and shes not healthy") lol

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 13 Old 12-19-2004, 06:28 PM

Umm...I don't know how to "prove" your friend wrong about the holding thing, but I think she is full of

There are many excellent sites that confirm that a baby 1) doesn't need a bottle of anything 2) cereal in a bottle is plain dangerous 3) Solids before 6 months increase the risk of obesity, allergies, and many other undesirable things.

Here are just a few:

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/

http://www.breastfeeding.com/

http://www.bflrc.com/newman/articles.htm

http://www.lalecheleague.org/home_intro.html

Good for you for seeking accurate information and not listening to misguided (although maybe well meaning) advice.
#3 of 13 Old 12-19-2004, 06:31 PM

If that's true than there are many, many parts of the world where probably almost everyone is probably walking around with a spinal problem. I know for sure there's a widespread spinal problem in India, and I think in S. America and Africa too!

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 13 Old 12-19-2004, 07:34 PM

Just had this very same discussion with MIL who is still tripping about my usage of slings and wraps with my 2 month old, even though my 5 year old (who also lived in a sling for 2 1/2 years) is quite healthy and has great posture! Apparently here in eastern europe mothers were told by the "expert doctors" that they had to always have their backs straight. So the moms would nurse the babies and then put them right back in the crib or baby carriage. The only reason I picked up in this is because she was instructing my DD to "never let his body be bent" when holding my baby. Eeek! How on earth would my dd hold him!? I corrected her and said in fact, one should never force the spine straight (though in a newborn it is essentially straight, has yet to develop the major curves) because it is not yet strong enough to hold up the body!
I think your friend just likes to be contrary. but proof... i dunno... i'll look
#5 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 12:00 AM

Hmmm...I am a massage therapist. I don't usually see people who have problems due to holding in childhood....its usually due to the stupid computers we are all sitting at too much of the day.

I think I would just nod and politely say...hmmm interesting, Ive never heard of that before...and snuggle your babe all the live long day!

Silly silly people!
#6 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd tell her, "No, but too much time lying flat gives babies flat heads and increases chances of hip dystocia, a problem unheard of where they carry babies a lot."

Ugh.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#7 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 12:53 AM

Is your baby sleeping 5 hours straight at night? That's sleeping through the night. Not the misguided belief of 8-12 hours straight like for an adult.

Formula with "rice cereal" does NOT guarantee sleeping through the night. Even the AAP doesn't recommend it for that reason. That is an old wives tale, just like holding a child will spoil it or damage it.

Only spoilt fruit I know is the stuff that's ignored and left on the shelf not the stuff that is enjoyed and tasted.

Instead of YOU coming up with proof, make her "justify" her statements. Not just "well thats what I've heard..." Put the ball in her court.
#8 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 03:20 AM

Ummm but does a baby lie flat in the womb? I think not.
#9 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 04:42 AM

She must be friend's with my Grandpa's wife who swears that if you don't let your baby CIO their lungs will not develop properly :
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#10 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyandelle
She must be friend's with my Grandpa's wife who swears that if you don't let your baby CIO their lungs will not develop properly :
Amy
OMG, is your Grandpa's wife my former mw? She said the same thing to me. I could not believe a mw was saying something so ignorant.
#11 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 11:20 AM

My DD and I have a chiropractor appt. today. I'll have to ask that question. I'll get back to you. BTW, alot of spinal problems in babies come from birth trauma, exp. in C/S births.
#12 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyandelle
Amy

lol...you know it!!!
I always say "well, if crying is good for their lungs then bleeding must be good for their veins, right?"
lol

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#13 of 13 Old 12-20-2004, 01:52 PM

Chiropractor says no, holding doesn't cause spinal problems.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page