MIL who doesn't listen...what will you do with your junk toys this xmas? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 96 Old 12-28-2004, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice to find this thread... here i was thinking that I was all alone battling the MIL against crappy toys...gulp.. and losing!

I think that becoming a MIL must come with instructions to purchase the most annoying, brand ridden, plastic crappy stuff getting about.

Despite being really vocal about wanting to avoid the aforementioned type of toys we still got them. She also gives a HUGE mound of toys - really inappropriate and I would prefer one or two good quality things and leave the junk out...What really gets to me is how everything is merchandise and branded, we are really vocal against it and we don't watch much TV.. when will then hint get across????

ok feeling better for the vent.. thanks!
#92 of 96 Old 12-28-2004, 09:17 AM

From MIL: Got horrible plastic Carnival Zone type thing for my three month old to stare at while she's lying on her back. Honestly, I would rather plop her in front of the TV - the thing is so spastic! Returned for some peekablocks (on sale!) and for toys to be determined later. (In fairness, we do have all the clothes we need, and she has gotten us some nice puppets.)
#93 of 96 Old 12-29-2004, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well, the il's did pretty great this year, perhaps we're really making some headway! FIL got the boys all clothes and almost all in sizes that fit now, except for a few for the baby which was my bad, I didn't think they'd get winter things so gave the wrong size. We only got one leapfrog thing that was returned immediately for credit towards a wooden train set, at least the ones who like those also believe in gift receipts so I don't feel too bad. It was scaring DH and I just sitting in the box.

We did get one horribly scary, loud flashing helicopter with guns from the landlords. We sort of expected it cause they gave Ben a light saber for Halloween. It was deemed only to be turned on outside, and it's cheap enough that he's broken most everything off of it. They are so very sweet to get the boys gifts I just wish they didn't all have to be war toys. Oh they gave the baby stacking rings, so maybe I should mention that Ben loved playing with those as a hint??

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#94 of 96 Old 12-29-2004, 10:20 AM

It's fun to see people posting what they got. I think that I too am making headway with DH's family. I about had a heart attack when I walked into their house and gifts were heaped in a 3 foot perimeter around the tree.
We got lots of clothes and a few toys, some Legos which I am okay with, a wooden train, stacking cups, a donation to Heifer International and NO Leapfrog or character toys at all which really surprised me.
During a moment of insanity and before my DD was even born, my MIL bought a 3 foot stuffed elephant. I really dislike stuffed animals and so we decided this could live at her house. My only question is who in their right mind would buy something like this and who in their right mind would want to receive something like this?
#95 of 96 Old 12-29-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie
During a moment of insanity and before my DD was even born, my MIL bought a 3 foot stuffed elephant. I really dislike stuffed animals and so we decided this could live at her house. My only question is who in their right mind would buy something like this and who in their right mind would want to receive something like this?
I bought a 3-foot tall stuffed giraffe on sale at Costco a few months back. I have a thing for giraffes, and this is one that he can sit on when he gets older (it's stable and holds up to 100 pounds).

Not sure I was in my right mind when I bought it, though.

We got one of those Leap Frog caterpillars as well, ours is the yellow numbers one. My AIL and cousin were joking about how it would be my least favorite gift, and I was pretty gracious, but... it is my least favorite. I just can't figure out what's fun about it. On the other hand, I buried it in a bag under some wooden blocks and a wooden train when I was cleaning up, and Joey dumped out the whole thing just to get to that dang caterpillar.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :
#96 of 96 Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melsie
It's fun to see people posting what they got. I think that I too am making headway with DH's family. I about had a heart attack when I walked into their house and gifts were heaped in a 3 foot perimeter around the tree.
We got lots of clothes and a few toys, some Legos which I am okay with, a wooden train, stacking cups, a donation to Heifer International and NO Leapfrog or character toys at all which really surprised me.
wow, you got a donation to the Heifer Project?!? Now those are some good in-laws!!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page