Mothering Forum banner

Can Baby sleep on tummy on a sheepskin?

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jane 
#1 ·
My second baby sleeps on his tummy all night (snuggled up against me), so I'm clearly past the fear instilled by the "Back to Sleep" campaign, but I would like to know if it's safe to put him down on his sheepskin on his tummy for naps. Can they breathe thru that stuff? Anyone have any experience with this?

#4 ·
Another mommy who lets her baby sleep on his tummy coming out of the closet here. I am not sure the whole back to sleep thing is all that significant either and my kids have slept so much better on thier tummies. I do put him on his tummy on a sheepskin, but I put the sheepskin in the crib and put the crib sheet over it. This is just for naps, at night he sleeps with me, mainly on his side.

#5 ·
I slept on my tummy on a sheepskin my entire babyhood and some of my toddlerhood, etc.... and I'm still kickin'. :LOL

BTW I *wish* I had put dd on her stomach to sleep sometimes... she's now one of those babies with the flat head in the back.
But by the time I tried putting her down on her stomach every once in a while, she hated it.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AGrace584
BTW I *wish* I had put dd on her stomach to sleep sometimes... she's now one of those babies with the flat head in the back.
But by the time I tried putting her down on her stomach every once in a while, she hated it.

I do it after the baby is already sleeping. It's the only way he'll stay sleeping after I put him down. If I put him on his back he startles and wakes up right away.

#7 ·
The sheepskin holds the air around the nose and mouth, so the baby rebreathes the air that is lower in oxygen. I will look to see if I can find that study and if it has a recommendation for ages. It's obviously okay for adults, but I don't know if there's a point where it becomes more safe.

And yes, babies sleep much much better on their tummies. That's why it's not recommended, for that very reason.

You can vacuum a sheepskin to remove some of the dustiness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.