Nov 2004 Mommies-Jan thread - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 235 Old 01-25-2005, 05:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
welcome, sarah! i love the name henry; was seriously considering it, if hazel had turned out to be male . for naps, have you tried swaddling?

ah, she's awake--more later!

*j
#182 of 235 Old 01-25-2005, 11:12 PM

bellinghamsarah, good to have you here! Just wanted to give you a with the whold nap thing. This dd is a great sleeper, but my older dd was an awful sleeper (and still is!) She usually took like 5, 20 min. naps/day until around 8 months or so when she started taking a 20-30 min. nap in the morning and then a 30-45 min. nap in the afternoon. That was it! It was so frustrating. No suggestions really. The sling worked to get her to sleep and then I would take the sling off and leave her in it, but she still wouldn't sleep long. Have you tried a swing? Both of my girls love(d) to sleep in the swing.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#183 of 235 Old 01-25-2005, 11:55 PM

It's so cool having you guys...everytime I come on to post something, I read about your babies doing the same thing! I love that

Jennifer, how is ecing going? We do it alot more when we're home, have yet to do it out (except at my sisters once, she about fell over...with amazement or disgust, not sure which ) but I love how many diapers it saves, lol!

Chelsea, Dominic does something similar with me and mimicking sounds...I make this gurgling, purring sound in the back of my throat : to him to make him laugh. Well, he started doing it back a few days ago! Amazing, isn't it?!

Monica, Dominic doesn't lunge for me...yet! but, he was in the swing this morning and I bent down in front of him. He looked at my knees and smiled, then he followed all the way up my body to my face and then laughed! I thought it was soo cute, but now that I'm typing it I'm realizing it might be one of those things you need to be there for?!

Not sure who asked but Dominic isn't rolling over yet (he did it a few times when he was like 3 or 4 weeks old, but not since then). I started wondering if maybe I hold him too much and don't give him the chance! My other babies were rolling over by now...

I have NOT gotten a period yet! And I am not expecting to for another year or so (We'll see how that goes...)

Oh, just wanted to add this really cute thing that Dominic does, if you don't mind me gushing a little He tries so hard to make a certain sound, he makes this little tense face, you can see him working his mouth and his tongue then he finally gets it out...and his whole little body relaxes as if he just got done a huge speech in front of a room full of people! He folds his little hands together up near his chin and looks so coy
#184 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 02:26 PM

oh my goodness jill, that's freaking adorable. i can just see it!

we've eased up on the ec thing a bit, mostly because hazel hates being dangled over the sink; it makes her cry after just a minute or two, and peeing usually takes longer than that. we ordered a little potty over TWO WEEKS ago, but i just called the place and they said it's backordered till the first. so, soon! it sounds like you guys are doing great, though--that's really funny about your sister

our big news is that we successfully took an overnight trip, complete with three hours of driving each way, and hazel has heard her first live music--we stayed in a motel room with a teeny bed and everything. she sort of melted down the first night, more screamy than she's ever been--i think the change of scenery might have been a lot for her to grok. i was frantically trying to remember the happiest baby on the block "s"s--we hadn't brought any swaddling stuff, so i got all mcguyver and wrapped her in a hand towel, tied with socks! we turned the shower on loud, shushed in her ear, bounced her a lot and gave her a paci once she calmed down. it worked! she was asleep in five minutes. the funny part was carrying around this baby in the sling, wrapped in a towel and tied with socks. i think people thought we were a little nutty.

*j
#185 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM

"so i got all mcguyver and wrapped her in a hand towel, tied with socks!"

:LOL
#186 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecaly
the funny part was carrying around this baby in the sling, wrapped in a towel and tied with socks. i think people thought we were a little nutty.

*j
OMG! Did you get a picture of that? If so, I would love to see it! :LOL

Monica, mama to Olivia (6)
#187 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 04:27 PM

oh alisha, days like that going so many places with small kids in tow, looking back it will be humorous one day I just know it!! I hope Scheeli is doing better!

Clippers! I need some new ones too!!!

J--who did you go see?

Karen, I hope Brownen is still sleeping good for you!

Dawn, I do the same thing --beam while slinging. Where ever I am people always stare at my pouch. At the park the other day I had the baby in the pouch, and my jacket zipped up over him, and his little head was just sticking out with his hat on. A little girl came up to me and said "what is in there". lol

Kim--so glad you said that you are being kinda bit at too. (well not glad for you!!) Thankfully he has stopped it somewhat. When he starts to do it, I give him his paci, and sucks on it like he really wants it and not any milk.

Meg!! I want to learn to knit too!! I think it would be relaxing --what what is that?? lol

Quote:
For me, it was just starting to get fun at one month.
oh honey, I hear that. Before 6 weeks I was thinking, what were we thinking, this is so hard, why did we do this, etc. But when he started smiling, (and my boobs healed) it was allllll uphill from there!

Dawn, I didn't realize you got to take her to work with you. I bet people think she is a doll!

bellingsarah--dylan doesn't sleep for very long either. usually 30 minutes like 6-8 times a day it is sooooo exhausting.
#188 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM

oh I wanted to add that dylan tries really hard to get sounds out too. He just squirms, and moves his arms and body and makes the loudest noises. he looks like he wants to say something!! lol This age is soo fun! lol no talking back yet!!
#189 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Sophie talks all the time..I think she's going to talk more than Elijah even. When Eli was 3 months he would literally say Un Gee when he wanted to have breastmilk. He said this enough that other people would inform me that he was saying un gee and wanted to eat!

I'm waiting for the first giggles
#190 of 235 Old 01-26-2005, 09:32 PM

On the giggle front, Edie's barely smiling even. Very serious babe so far - seriously cute! As for talking the closest she gets is when she fails an attempt to sneezing she says "ow" kind of in slow motion. So cute! She already has a little girl voice!
#191 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 01:09 PM

Hello All!

Jennifer - that is way too funny! Glad you found something that worked, and you had a good time.

Xander is rolling belly to back, has been since 3weeks, but ds#1 didn't roll until February or March, so I don't think it's something we should worry about yet. He coos and laughs and sleeps 6-7hours/night. Now I'm gushing! It's just so nice to have that when I went through waking 3-4/night with ds#1. He's not the best napper, though, which I'm not complaining about, since he's so good at night, which is what really counts in this house with a toddler and all.

I tried turning Xander forward in the cuddlywrap, but he didn't enjoy it. He's got the head control, but likes to snuggle still I guess. I wish I could figure out my Maya wrap better, it hurts my back, but my hotsling is kinda small now until I can put him in the hip carry I think. He is way too big too fast... my back is having a hard time keeping up!
#192 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 01:12 PM

Speaking of slings...I'm in love with my KK fleece pouch. It's the most comfortable sling I've ever had. Sophie is small though, so I don't know how happy you'd be with a big ol baby in any carry at this point! I have a friend's ergo that I need to try out this week with Elijah and see how he does in it. He's only 22 lbs, but after a 12 lb baby he's really heavy

I know what you mean about gushing..Sophie is such a sweet, contented little baby..and always has a smile for me
#193 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 02:08 PM

J - Swaddling is hit and miss with us; sometimes it keeps him from twitching himself awake and sometimes he gets so mad about not having access to his hands (which he's just discovered and are an endless source of entertainment) that he screams and resets the sleepiness. Basically, I'm with BabyOsMommy and don't want to complain too much, as he sleeps pretty well at night (down at 8, up at 1 and 4 and then 7 for the day, with quick nursing sessions and easily back to sleep). Plus, a friend from my prenatal yoga, who has a baby 2 weeks younger than Henry, is still up with hers "every hour and a half on the dot" - uggg. I've just stopped trying to get him to nap in the crib and will take whatever I can get - 30 minutes in the sling, 15 minutes in the bouncy seat... Scheelimama - I don't have a swing, but was considering one - how long can they use them? And by the way, J., I'm impressed with your emergency swaddle The lengths we go to...

The new thing I'm noticing with Henry is that his emotions are getting more complex. Rather than just having hungry, fussy and tired cries, he now has a sad little wimper that he'll use in the car, and the other day a broom fell on the kitchen floor and startled him and he let out this new scared cry, complete with a quivering lip/frowny face. So sad (but cute, too )

MonikitaUT - Mornings are the best at our house, too. He wakes up so happy and smiley and talkative - makes you forget even the most frustrating nights, huh?

Guess I should go use this precious time that he's snoozing in the sling to get something done around here... Have a great day, all.
#194 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 03:01 PM

bellinghamsarah,
We used our swing for dd#1 until sometime between 8-10 months. Basically until she became mobile she loved it! I know it's not too AP, but I highly recommend one if you have a baby who doesn't like to nap. If it doesn't work out for you, there's always someone you can pass it on to. Oh, and we just have a cheap 'ol wind-up swing and it works great for us. No need to get fancy. They all work the same.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#195 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Stacy - Yes, Ava goes to the office with me. We have a family chiropractic office, so she fits right in! We put a bouncy seat up on the front counter next to our receptionist, and Ava "greets" pepole when they come in (just like at Wal-Mart).

bak, so I'll write more later...
#196 of 235 Old 01-27-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
The new thing I'm noticing with Henry is that his emotions are getting more complex.
oh dylan too! he has a LOUD voice when he is hungry and matt has him. it's like give it to me now.

Meg, we LOVE our KK fleece pouch too. I'll have to post a pic of me or dh wearing him. I highly recommend it!!
#197 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 AM
Banned

I've been trying for weeks to muster up the patience to navigate this site, and finally I have done it!! Go me. Previously every time I went to go do it my baby had a fussing attack. LOL.

Anywho, my name is Lindsay and my daugher Jane was born November 26! I am from Santa Rosa, California. I am 22 and have been married to my husband Roger for two years. I'm a breastfeeding (I admit to being a slightly millitant breastfeeder) co sleeping, sling wearing, cloth diapering AP mamma

...But I have a Kate Spade diaper bag, I hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the hippie club.

I look forward to talking with you all!
#198 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 11:04 AM

Anyone elses baby sleeping rediculously long periods at night? Alia the last three nights has slept for 12.5 hours without waking! It coincided with her learning to suck her thumb, she was doing 8-9 hours before that. I'm torn between being happy that she sleeps so well and being slightly concerned. It's totally her choice though and she's happy and healthy so I'll just enjoy it for now because I'm sure it won't last! I know my supply can handle the long breaks, I'm always prone to oversupply if anything. Also I'm tandem feeding my three year old.

I should probably introduce myself because I haven't posted in so long and hardly posted then anyway. My name's Lucretia and I have two girls Kaia (just turned three on 18/1) and Alia born 21/11. We live in Adelaide, Australia. So it's summer here and I'm sitting here sweating because it's so hot (Well not really sunshine, it's 12:21am.) A bit different to a lot of you I think! It creates its own issues though of keeping baby cool enough. She like to be wrapped (swaddled) to sleep but it's hard when it's 100F! It also makes slinging a lot more uncomfortable. We have a Hugabub which I love and she's always in it when we go out but you have to make sure you both dress lightly. I was using it today and was literally dripping sweat on my chest. Thankfully it's still not uncomfortable for either of us despite this. The airflow over her arms and legs helps keep her cool enough.

Alia was 9lb6 when she was born and is 12lb5 right now. Which puts her above the 90%ile line yet she seems one of the smaller babies here. A lot of the kids here must be off the charts! Or maybe Aussie babies are smaller.

A pic of my baby in her too big nappy she was trying on, it needs to sit in the cupboard for a bit I think! :LOL But she looks so cute in this photo
http://lucretia.glowwave.org/albums/...64_1.sized.jpg
#199 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Hiya Lucretia and Lindsay

Welcome back Lucretia..I'm jealous of your hot weather, really. I keep drooling over cute summer clothing for the baby but I don't know what size she'll be. Alia looks a lot like Sophie in body type and weight..Sophie is about 12 lbs..I'll know more later, as she has her first drs appt since newborn days today. I'm planning to vax so she'll have some shots today Anyway, Alia is one day younger than Sophie (though with time changes, she may actually be the same day??) so it's no surprise they are close in size!

Lindsay, so glad you spoke up girl! I was about your age when I had my son Jake. I was nearly 21 when I had my first child...and here I am about to turn 39 and have my last child! I love the name Jane...it's Sophie's middle name, she's named for a very special Great Aunt of my husband.

Well..off to the dr. I'll update later
Feel free to check out our yahoo photo site for new photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/meganut35
#200 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 12:31 PM

Lucretia! Good to have you back
Quote:
It coincided with her learning to suck her thumb, she was doing 8-9 hours before that. I'm torn between being happy that she sleeps so well and being slightly concerned.
Although Xander isn't quite doing 12.5 hour stretches, he is sleeping 6-7 hours at night, and will sometimes nap for a 2hour stretch during the day, which start coincided with the beginning his thumb sucking. I too have oversupply issues. I wouldn't be concerned at all... if she's growing and happy, then just enjoy it. I'm really okay with his thumb sucking - I don't have to search for a paci, and my boobs get a rest! I just hope he doesn't carry it to school age (my sister did and her teeth are a mess!), but that was because we had a hard childhood, so I'm thinking if I maintain a attachment, he'll get over it when he's ready.

Anyhow, there is silence in this house... my 2year old is up to something so I gotta run

s and to all!
#201 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 01:03 PM

Lucretia - your girl is a cutie pie! My babe is small for the babies on here, too. She'll be 3 months tomorrow, and only weighs about 11 1/2 lbs. She is getting long, though! I think she's going to be tall and skinny. That's how all of DH's family is, so she probably gets that from him.

Meg, you captured smiles!! I love those pictures! Where did you get the dress with the stars and the stripey leggings? I love that outfit!

Livi still wakes anywhere from 2-5 times a night to nurse. I'm not complaining, though. It really isn't that big of a deal when you co-sleep, KWIM? I wake up periodically to check on her and make sure the covers aren't over her head anyway.

Will someone please tell me how you insert an image with your post?

#202 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 01:38 PM

Click Here for a new picture of Livi. (I couldn't figure out how to add the image directly. I was clicking "insert image" but all it would display was the URL. ?)

#203 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Hey monica..your link doesn't work for me..

Just got back from the Dr...she only had 3 shots cuz they have that pediarix thing now that cuts down the number..she did great..only cried for a couple minutes before latching on and falling asleep She is 11 lbs 10oz and 23.5" tall. this is apparantly 75 percentile. I dunno how accurate that is for breastfed babies

that cute stars outfit is a hanna andersson, one of my most favorite clothing brands..problem is, they are awfully expensive and even the resale on ebay is up there!

Anyway..Sophie is 10 weeks tomorrow...time sure flies...
#204 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Monica - to insert an image put the url in your post and surround it with [img] before then after [/ img] except without the space. That's a cute pic of Livi. It's one of those really interesting ones where you can do lots of pondering over just what she's thinking. How did you get the bow in her hair?

Meg - Alia and Sophia would have been born on the same day, Alia was born at 7:14am on the 21st our time which is 5:46pm on the 20th your time I think. We vax too and Alia had hers on thursday, there are so many these days. She took it worse than her big sister did but she was the same as Livi, cried for a couple of minutes then five minutes later fell asleep, and no sign of a reaction thankfully.

BabyOsMommy - I'm really glad she sucks her thumb I've been waiting and cheering her on towards it for ages now. I like that it's totally in her control also no putting it back in every five minutes. Plus I think it's so cute Her big sister sucked her thumb too, when she was tired or hungry, and she gave it up at about 18 months.
#205 of 235 Old 01-28-2005, 09:16 PM

The link worked now...awww..she's SO adorable!! Thanks for sharing that I like seeing the more petite of our babies because Sophie is one of 'em She looks chubby to me, but we are all very small boned folks...

Then they are born the same day, Lucretia...cool Sophie was born at 3:04am on the 20th in Eastern Standard Time. She was 27 minutes shy of exactly two years apart from Elijah. I still can't believe I did that LOL
#206 of 235 Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 AM
Banned

Thanks! I love the name Jane too

I'll have to post some photos

Oy speaking of the doctor I have to take Jane on wedsday. She gets her shots, I'm not looking forward to it.
#207 of 235 Old 01-29-2005, 02:13 AM

guess I'm the only one that can't see Lucretia's pic

Livi is adorable!!

Meg, love those wedding pictures!!! I bet is unreal to have two teens, and two toddlers. You are seeing first hand the things you will go through with them. Any words of wisdom?? Spencer will be 6 this year, and most of the time I'm at a loss!

I wish my babe would suck his thumb!!
#208 of 235 Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 AM

Just wanted to give a quick hi to ya'll. I've been very busy lately and so I too will probably have to re-introduce myself.

Mommy to Satori - born 11/02/04.

Today I *finally* heard my baby totally laugh! She giggled over and over and even let out a little squeal once! I was worried she was a "serious" baby and didn't have a sense of humor, lol.

She sleeps about 10 hours at night, wakes up to nurse once or twice. She takes a few nice long naps during the day, I wake her up sometimes if they're too long though.

I am jealous of those of you who get to wear your slings out where people can see them. Here in Minnesota where it's below zero alot lately, we just don't leave the house much at all. That will change in a few months though, and I hope to get some slingin' exposure to the general public here in Minnesota, hehe.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#209 of 235 Old 01-29-2005, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotnetdiva
I am jealous of those of you who get to wear your slings out where people can see them. Here in Minnesota where it's below zero alot lately, we just don't leave the house much at all. That will change in a few months though, and I hope to get some slingin' exposure to the general public here in Minnesota, hehe.

those laughs are just awesome!! dylan LOVES spencer, and laughs with his whole body!

dh and I were talking and wondering how you mamas in cold weather do it. what in the heck do you do?? I could NEVER live where it was so cold and for so long!! woweee!! if I'm grocery shopping or at the store shopping I sling. Get out and go shopping just to show it off!!!! We get so many compliments! And everyone wants to know where I got it. (makes me wish I made them!! lol)
#210 of 235 Old 01-29-2005, 10:34 AM

hmm..words of wisdom...you learn everything new with each child, honestly. They are all so darn different. I don't remember age 6 very well for some reason! Alexis was delightful from 4-13, then wow..teenager..Jake was a mama's boy until he went off to kindergarden when he was almost 6..then he was the kid who would not shower or clean his room..we had a lot of battles over those two things..the rest wasn't so bad when he turned 13 he decided to argue with everything I said..now he's 15 and taller than his mom! I feel so old when I look at those two...my birthday is next week and I'll be 39..
On the other hand...I'm having so much fun with my babies, probably because I know they are only this way for such a short period of time..you blink and they are grown..

I love my KK fleece pouch for this cold weather..and people stop me all the time when I wear it..she's up against my body wrapped in a blanket..it's fabulous! It's not minnesota here though We had an ice storm overnight though, so we'll be staying in today

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page