May 04 Babes - Happy new year!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 342 Old 01-05-2005, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nuggetsmom- I'm sorry your mom is giving you a hard time and pressuring you to CIO with Julia. I went through something similar with my mom when DD was tiny. After weeks of nagging and guilt tripping and some nasty fights I finally calmly sat down with my mom and told her as nicely as I could that she had had her chance to raise kids the way she thought was best, and now it was my chance to raise *my* kids the way *I* thought was best. Maybe that sounds nasty, but really, it was a good conversation. And it was as if this lightbulb went on for my mom and she was able to start seeing me as another mother and not only as her daughter. Hang in there and know we all support you! Here's hoping things mellow out with your mom...

no-poo is what you do when you don't use shampoo to wash your hair! AGrace I'm glad you're interested in it too. I just started, but here's what I'm doing. I last washed my hair with shampoo on Monday when my beloved (but hella expensive) bumble+bumble ran out. Just rinsed it in the shower yesterday. Then today I made a paste of baking soda and water and scrubbed that into my scalp. Rinsed well and then squitred on a 3:1 water:apple cider vinegar mix with a few drops of lavendar essential oil. I rubbed that in and combed through and then rinsed well. My hair looks and feels just fine, and is less staticky than usual! Join me on the no-poo adventure! I'll give updates if you guys are interested in my descent into super-hippie-weirdo-flake-out land!

lisa - you totally cracked me up! hang in there mama!!

jstar- your trip sounds awesome! Glad you made it home safe and sound through the blizzard, and again, thanks for being my nursing-while-in-motion inspiration!

Heading out into a blizzard of my own to get DD from school - wish me luck!
#62 of 342 Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=A&L+1]Heather – The term “mainstream mom mafia” cracks me up! We were at the mall once and this woman came up to us and said, “Wow, and I thought that was a purse!” It made me laugh and think about the image of a woman who carries her rhinestone wearing lap dog in a Gucci bag only we're two lesbians carrying our baby in organic cotton.[QUOTE]

#63 of 342 Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Hi mamas-

Maggie Mae and AGrace - I'd love to no-poo. The system you're using, MM, sounds great. Maybe I will join in!

jstar - glad your trip was good for you. Sorry Isaac was sick! Sounds like he is all better now, though. I know how you feel about not having family close. I am missing my parents so much, and wish they could be here to take Lily every now and then!

nuggetsmom - others have said what I wanted to say. How hard it is when it's family. I started another thread about letting Lily cry in the bed with us. My DH is really pushing me to do this - more than I let on in that thread. I don't agree with him, but he's really pushy when he wants to be. But I'm not entirely strong in my own conviction, either, so it's hard. You sound happy with your own decision, though, so don't let her get to you).

So yeah, if anybody wants to respond to my thread, please do. Here's the link:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...13#post2480913

Sarah
#64 of 342 Old 01-05-2005, 11:00 PM

Ooh, it's gonna let me post! FINALLY! :LOL Because of this, it won't be long. Heh. But then again, it's me, so it might be long. Thbbbt.

I think we've all had some rough sleeping nights, Rowan's already gotten up twice tonight, after going down at 6:30 this evening Once within an hour! *sigh* Wonder how the night will be...and i will try not to think about it right now. I try to go to bed earlier so I'm not so darn tired in the morning, but it's hard!

Needless to say, it's so hard to stand by your instincts and convictions, especially when "experts" or worse, family, starts telling you to go against them, totally. When my ped. told me something of the sort last time we saw him (at the 6-mo. visit), along with DH being so frustrated with Rowan refusing to be soothed by anyone BUT me, plus my OWN super-tiredness, I was almost convinced to try letting him CIO. But then, after talking to him on a night where I was at work and Rowan did nothing BUT cry with DH, in arms our out (and DH told me he did let him CIO a bit while I was gone ), I asked him, "did he sleep any longer because you did that?" and DH was like "um...no...he woke up crying and woke up even more." I just looked at him.
He then said "okay, okay. I'm sorry." End of conversation.

But I know it's harder when it's your mom. I think what Maggie Mae said to her own mom was really good. You're raising your kids the way YOU feel is right, and you know what? You know what's best for your baby.
I wish I had something more eloquent and less repetitive to say.

to all you mamas having a difficult time...it will pass.

I'm um, gonna go to bed, I think. I can't help it, it's not even 9pm and I'm already wiped.
Wishing you all some easier sleep tonight, mamas.
#65 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 10:48 AM

Morning mamas! I'm trying something 'new' this morning. We're going back to that playgroup I went to once when she was tiny. She absolutely loves looking at other kids and babies so she might enjoy it. But since 10am is usually naptime, I had DH get her up at 6ish when he got out of the shower after she ate so she'd nap before we went. She's sleeping now so we'll so how it goes. She seems to be getting more flexible with daytime naptime and yesterday slept for 5 minutes in the car in the morning and had a 2+hour mid day nap and then went to bed as usual at 8pm. (and was still up all night as usual )

I think something clicked for me with the nighttime stuff or I've just gotten used to the up 4-6 times a night thing. There must be something magical about getting to sleep for a couple 2 hour stretches at the beginning of the night that makes a difference. I guess what makes it hard for me is still having a bit of a reflux problem and needing to shift to sleep a bit upright on pillows between feedings instead of just sleeping through her eating.

Who else was it that is having fun sticking their tongue out? Lily? C is loving that these days and boy does it look cute. She's also occasionally starting to put her head down on my shoulder which is so sweet as she isn't overly cuddly otherwise. Just before I put her to bed last night I was holding her and talking to DH and she just rested her head there and looked up at DH and I about melted in a puddle on the spot.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#66 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 12:36 PM

Hi everybody! Thinking about Lisa, mainstream mama mafia, snowboarding, agrace, renae...there were many posts that are swimming in my head.

I tried no-poo for about 2 months and gave up because my hair just wasn't doing well. I'm not entirely happy with poo either, because I think it gives me dandruff. But, I wasn't good about doing baking soda or vinegar or anything like that, I just used a soap that's made for hair (herbal thingie). Maybe I should give it another go.

Sol is crawling, but she's a mayday baby due mid-april.

yesterday we traveled back here mexico-way...i slung her in the airport transitions and was the only one doing so! once during a layover i put her reclined atop my pull along carryon and it was hilarious...much more stable than you'd think!

my mom suggested "training
' her to fall asleep on her own too...um, guess that'd be CIO, no? i said yeah, it'd be great if she could do that...*change subject*
#67 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM

mianstream mama mafia....... :

Oh and the Gucci puppy-wearers crack me up. Don't get me wrong, I'd probably do that too if I had a tiny dog (although not in Gucci of course ) I'm a total animal-lover... our pets get their own stockings at Christmas, birthday cakes, etc. What I don't get is how in our society, it's cool to pamper your pets and go to the ends of the earth for them, but if you pick your baby up every time she cries, you're spoiling her and it's a *bad* thing...

I made teething biscuits for Amelia the other day and she loves them! Fun stuff.

MaggieMae, good to hear that no-poo method reduces static. That was a main concern for me. Maybe I'll try it today.

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#68 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM

I'm just jumping into the fray real quick (while the little one is upstairs in his crib REFUSING to sleep!! He's playing so I'm just giving him "quiet time" in there rather than try to force him to nap right now) to say this:

I LOVE my poo. : :LOL It's Kiss My Face Big Body Shampoo and it smells SO good, it's not tested on animals, safe, organic, etc...and well, I just can't bother trying to find alternatives to shampoo right now. Rock on, those of you that do it though!

Okay, babe is actually fussin' now, so guess what! I'm gonna go PICK HIM UP!
#69 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Renea- another poo lover here

Nuggetsmom- what is your mom afraid of? That they'll be 16 and not sleep through the night? :LOL As for the "temper tantrums," My mom makes comments like, "boy he has you wrapped around his finger, doesn't he?" (aka, "responding to his cues is spoiling him.") I DO see that Luke is gaining object permanence, and is starting to have firmer ideas about what he wants, and is less distractable if he's fixed his mind on something. However, I see this as a major developmental leap, and not a spoiled tantruming babe. He will learn soon enough that the world has limits, and that other people have needs. Right now he's still figuring out that HE has needs, kwim?

Woo hoo- my lil' sweetie popped his first tooth yesterday (a lower one). He was VERY unhappy yesterday and the day before. Normally, I think I would have been very annoyed at my wee one during all of this fussiness. However, I just finished reading "Raising Boys" by Steve Biddulph. It was all about how much baby boys need their mommies to love and nurture them in the first six years, and how moms tend to cuddle girl babies more and punish boy babies more. It just made me take up my little one and love him through all his fussiness.

Medical update Sometimes I wish we didn't HAVE those. Most often they've created needless worry. (Though I sure was thankful for the drugs when he had croup and couldn't breath). Anyway... took him in for a hearing test, and not only was he so fussy they couldn't do the visual response part, but one of his eardrums wasn't responding to the other test. Probably just fluid in an ear because of a cold but.... now I get to have ANOTHER pediatrition visit, and then another hearing test. Really, this babe is pretty happy and healthy, and he's developing great. You sure wouldn't know it by the number of times we've been to the doctor.

Oh.. and... drumroll please.... we found something Luke will actually eat (and not choke on)! Teething biscuits. So out the window goes all advice to try things individually before they're tried together, and to avoid sweets. I'm just happy that he's happy that he can eat with us now.

Wow. Babe has been sleeping and hour and a half. How did I get so lucky? Ta ta.
#70 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM

The tooth has surfaced!!!

#71 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 PM

Jackie, do you have a teething biscuit recipe you'd be willing to share???

I'm jealous of y'all with actual teeth. Do you know that ds2 is still working on the same eye tooth that appeared shortly before he was 3 mos? (A speck of the tooth appeared, and... all we still see is a speck of the tooth... and yes, it *is* is a tooth.) I was rubbing his gums today and he was giggling and giggling.

I dragged ds1 around on the sled today (while carrying ds2 in my other arm), then got the bright idea of having him hold the baby. Yea! It worked really well (both were so bundled up and I was going so slow that there's no way anyone could have gotten hurt). So cute, too.

I tried no poo some years back, and it just didn't work for me... I got way, way, *way* too itchy, for some reason. I love my shampoo, too. It's one of my big splurges. I'm addicted to Aveda Madder Root... But I don't wash my hair every day. How about the babies? We have found with our kids that if we don't do baby shampoo a couple of times a week, they get cradle crap (must have inherited my scalp, I guess). I know with other kids, it can work the other way around...
#72 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 08:12 PM

P.S. I'm really digging using the colors (thanks Renae for being the first)... Y'know, there are so many, we could each be identified by a different shade.
#73 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 08:36 PM

i'm too scared to go no poo. i have insta-greasy hair. if i go out and around without showering dh calls me junkie j. ha ha so funny. although i did go to 'pooing every other day after my friend colored my hair last year because she told me it would maintain it longer. she's a not very often 'pooing advocate and i know it is supposed to decrease the greasiness after you're off the poo for a while. but i dont' think i could make it through the few weeks it would take for my scalp to regulate :LOL i did like going to the mountains on vacation though because it was sooooooo dry my hair looked fine

YAY for teeth breaking through and that cute little tooth smilie

i should read that raising boys book. i feel like i don't know anything about raising boys...i only have one sister and i feel like this is new territory. i have fears about dh imposing too many 'macho' expectations on ds. maybe i'm paranoid.

i got lots of the 'how long are you going to breastfeed him' questions from grandparents on vacation 'til he's done' to some disapproving looks from my mom. :LOL
#74 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 09:11 PM

random thought:
jstar, fiddlefern, mcsarahb & anyone else in the portland, oregon area: wanna have a weekend potluck lunch at our house sometime in the next month? let's pick a date.

babe finally waking up from nap...

later...

~claudia
#75 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 PM

We have a tooth here too! First one, day before yesterday. Did I post that already? I can't remember. Woo-hoo.

jstar - I like the "'til he's done" comment. I think I'll use it next time someone asks me.

Yes, and Jackie - please share your teething biscuit recipe!

Sarah
#76 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 09:37 PM

Dibs on dark orange! :LOL
#77 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 11:21 PM

hmmmm...I think I like dark green... :LOL
#78 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 11:45 PM

Can I have plum? Or is it too close to Renae's beloved purple? I like cyan too....
#79 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 11:46 PM

is this too light? just testing
#80 of 342 Old 01-06-2005, 11:57 PM

Sienna, anyone? I feel like a sienna kinda gal. We're dorks. :LOL
#81 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:03 AM

Yay!!! For all of the new teeth! Its a great feeling when they poke thru, isnt it? Katie cut her fourth on New Year's Day. Hope that will be all for a while.
#82 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:03 AM

yes, we are all dorks. :LOL

~claudia
#83 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:05 AM

Us, dorks? NEVER! We're cool cats.
#84 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:17 AM

Trying sienna here. I like the name of it. YAAAY for the teefies on all the bebes! Wish I could go to that potluck! Does this mean I have to write my whole post in this box without pressing return? How do the smilies work? So many questions! How can I scroll down to see what everyone else wrote if I'm writing in this little box?

Okay, I see Sarah trying the sienna...several of us online simultaneously!

I want the teether biscuit recipe too.

Sol's doing the top teeth now...it's been a long & arduous process.
#85 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 AM

Testing, testing... olive green. Is it too close to mommaluv321's dark green?

And count this as another vote for ponying up that teething biscuit recipe!

Why when I'm lurking and reading all day and have no time to post do I think of all sorts of things to say, but in the evenings, when I can actually sit down a write a bit... I go blank!?!? Arg!

Good news though... the movie theater that's by my house (less than 1/2 mile - easy walk) has just started a "baby matinee" once a month! SO COOL! I used to love going to the movies and I really, really miss it. It will be great to have something like that so close.

On a completely unrelated note, I think I'm going to join Weight Watchers again. I had success with it when I did it before, and I feel like I could use a bit more structure with my meals these days. A friend of mine (MDC mama, but she's mostly a lurker) found a meeting that's specifically for moms and babies, and she said its cool and laid back, so I'm excited to check it out next week. And then we're going to go walking after the meeting! I'll be so stoked if we can keep it a weekly thing. Good for the bod and the spirit!

I gotta go help DH fold laundry. I'm on a mission to completely catch up on it and then reorganize our closet. Wish me luck!
#86 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 AM

Officially, I use Indigo. I use dark red on another forum (not MDC)...how cool that I started something here! :LOL
Yay for teeth! I love Rowan's one-and-a-half-teeth smile!

I'm so jealous of you Portland mamas! But how cool that you all can get together! I have Rhode Island mamas here, which is wonderful, but I feel as close to you all and someday we'll have to meet...hehe. Wonder how that would happen! We should have a Convergence!

Rowan slept MUCH better last night, thank goodness, and he's happily exersaucing next to me while my friend makes tea for us. She came over after work (she works 20 minutes from me but over an hour from her place!) and spent the night last night. She's the one I used to have some issues with...but I think they're mostly at rest now. Whew!

I thought I had something else to say...darn. Maybe I'll come back later! :LOL
Oh yeah! I need to get that "Raising Boys" book! I don't think that DH is gonna impart too many "macho" ideals on our son, but grandparents might. I remember when I found out Rowan was a boy...I thought "oh my god! I don't know anything about raising boys!!" But I know how to love and cuddle my baby, and I guess that's all that matters.

Okay, I feel bad because I'm ignoring my friend. Back later, mamas!
#87 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:46 PM

Can I have dark red? Yay! But don't you just love being dorky? It's so much more fun than trying to be cool. That's pretty much how I live my life, anyway.

Well I searched in the food forum to find a teething biscuit recipe. Here's the thread I found, of course I altered it because when I tasted the batter I thought it was, well, a bit

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...thing+biscuits

I used the first recipe that shows up, Cathe's, with ww flour. I added a bit of white (unbleached flour), about a fourth of a mashed banana for flavor, and I had a sample of some baby rice cereal I wanted to get rid of but couldn't see throwing away... so in it went. They didn't turn out as hard as I thought they should have, maybe the banana or my altitude? So I left them in the oven for a while longer on the "warm" setting to dry them out more.

#88 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 12:59 PM

Okay, okay, I'll pick a color too. How 'bout black. I got dibs on that! :LOL

What an awful morning here. C mananged to puke all over me. She woke up as I was putting her down and I tried to lay her back down in bed to get her back to sleep and *spew*. Ugh. She's done this before (usually at night) and I guess she can't tolerate lying down (again) with a full belly?? I'll have to try something different next time, because trying to clean up a bed/clothing and a puked upon unhappy baby is not my idea of fun. I think we've moved into the realm of nap-fighting and I feel pretty clueless. I can't have her puking, but she's obviously exhausted. And then what to do but hold her while she fuss, fuss, fusses cause she's so tired? She did finally go down for a nap an hour later. Ugh. Just when I thought I had things figured out...

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#89 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM

Oh bummer, is that dark red that you're using Claudia?

Yeah, Amelia's tooth showing itself was so exciting! Even more exciting because I've always wanted to use the toothy smiley!

I think my little Peach is going to a one nap a day routine. Not very cool, in my opinion.

This is when I wish that our country was itty-bitty like a tiny European country, so that we were all close enough to get together with everyone.

Elsanne you can write your post like normal then just highlight it all and pick your color then.

DH is ill, hope he's sleeping on the couch until he's better. So far the babe's only had the sniffles, and I'm jsut fine with that. Maybe we can go all winter without a full-blown cold. Crossing fingers.

How 'bout fire-engine red.

#90 of 342 Old 01-07-2005, 02:53 PM

I have to jump on the color bandwagon. I love you mamas! I too wish that we were close enough to easily see each other. If you were here, you could all come over and go sledding! Theo likes it, but only if it is on a bumpy hill and not too cold. He doesn't like the snow spraying in his face nor the cold gusts of wind. We had a lot of snow come down in the past few days and have about 7 inches now. It will only last a few days, but it is nice.

For those of you who are seeing your babes get harder and harder to put down at night -- are you sure they aren't teething? Both of my kids seem to have shown sleeplessness as a sign of teething -- I missed it with Theo and watched his 8:30 bedtime stretch til 10 or 10:30 a couple of weeks ago and started to get pretty frustrated, but then the tooth popped through and I said "AHA!" His big brother did the same thing. I had just forgotten. Now we have two teeth and the last few days were a bit trying, but he is in much better spirits now. I haven't tried any remedies for him yet, but hyland's worked pretty well for his big brother. Also a few T's of chamomile tea when he really, really hadn't slept.

Theo really, really wants to stand. He still needs a lot of support, but he loves to stand on my knee or on the floor. He is rocking a lot when trying to crawl, but always drops down on his belly and wiggles along whenever he really wants to go anywhere.

He has also decided that he hates babyfood. He wants to feed himself bits of solid food whenever possible -- crackers, grains of rice, bits of banana and other soft fruit, etc. He seems to love nearly everything he tries. We were eating Massamun curry for dinner last night and he was grabbing at my rice bowl, bouncing up and down with glee.

I am going out for a swanky dinner tonight (unless a baby comes -- we have 4 due in the next few weeks). I am very excited but a little depressed about the clothes that I have to wear. I have a lot of ill-fitting, worn stuff from before my pregnancy and not much else. I am reluctant to buy much because my body is kind of funky and I worry that whatever I buy won't fit in a few months. I just have to scrape together what I can and do my best. You should have seen me a few weeks ago when I was trying to get ready for my dh's black tie work Christmas party -- red brocade silk sheath dress -- skirt underneath because dress seemed too short and a black wool felt wrap that I cut out with scissors moments before we left because it had previously been part of a larger cape that looked funny on me. High heeled dress boots because the snow was 4" deep and I couldn't bring myself to wear the sandals I had. It was black tie punk! I felt like one of those scruffy boyfriends actresses are always bringing to the Oscars.

Tomorrow, I have to go help a mom who is having an induction at 34 weeks. (a doula client) Her water broke two weeks ago and she has been hospitalized since. They are worried about infection, hence the induction, but I am not sure I agree. She and her dh are pretty worried about how the baby will fare in the outside world, so if you have a good vibe to send, please send it.

Take care, everyone -- have a great weekend!

Stacia

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page