May 04 Babes - Happy new year!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2005, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Taking advantage of the MARATHON NAPS going on in our house this morning!! DH and Rowan have been asleep since 9:15...it's now after 11:30!! I've made myself some , folded laundry, and have been watching my favorite VH1 Classic show, The Alternative. Depeche Mode is on right now!!

Anyway, I just had to marvel at the naptime.

Our baths are mostly playtime here too, they happen every other day or so, and DH usually does it now. They love bathtime. We use the TINIEST bit of Johnson & Johnson's baby wash...I know, I know, but back before I knew anything about this baby stuff, we bought two HUGE bottles at Costco, and DH is making me use it ALL before we buy anything better. I'm thinking Rowan will be about 2 years old by then?! And it doesn't bother his skin at all, and he smells yummy afterwards, so
He gets a massage with either Burt's Bees Apricot Oil (can I just say...YUM!!) or Badger Salve on drier nights (it has chamomile and calendula so it's all calming and stuff) and our massages have been getting shorter too, due to fussy tired baby some nights, and cold house other nights. Our baths are mostly calming sorts of playtime things, and the soap is really reserved for the stinkier parts.

And yeah! Rowan gets some stinky feet too! But, to be honest...I like the way they smell. : I think it's just cause they're cooped up in socks everyday because of the cold? I dunno.

I started writing this so long ago, so I am gonna wrap it up now. Everyone woke up at 11:40. Heh. Nice long nap, though. DH said it's because they were up a LOT last night while I was at work. I sure hope that they figure out what to do when I'm gone those nights soon...

Okay, bye!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2005, 06:59 PM

Hi Mamas-

While the babe is asleep and DD is hard at work on her spelling, I wanted to post quick about two reading recommendations for you all.

First - the new Hip Mamma book is awesome! Have any of you read it? I checked it out from the library yesterday and finished it already. Its hysterical and poignant and all that good stuff... Renae, there's an essay in there called 51 Harrassment St that made me think of you and that jerk-face who yelled at you the other day. Totally a feel-good mama book!

Which is what you'll need to balance the second thing - did you guys see the article in the New York Times magazine today, about potentially toxic breast milk? I think you can read it online here Scary stuff, but not enough to make me even think about weaning. The upshot is that flame-retardants and all sorts of other bad chemicals are concentrated in our breast milk and they get passed on to the babes at higher concentrations than anyone else is exposed to via the environment. I do think it helps to eat organic, cut out meat, and be really careful about chemicals in our immediate environment, etc, etc, etc. Its bad news, to be sure, but I worry that the end result of the article will be scaring off mamas who are already ambivilent about BF instead of any postive action from the powers that be. And the whole thing makes me so f'ing pissed that our government is so irresponsible about the substances we are exposed too! (As if there weren't already reason enough to deplore our awful govt!) Anyways, better to be informed, I guess.

Happy reading ladies...
Old 01-09-2005, 07:09 PM

It's a quiet day in the house today (we're all feeling lazzzzy), so I'm outta here in a bit to do some shopping... alone. DH will be hanging with the babe while I go redeem my christmas gift from him - a gift cert to my faaaaaaavorite shoe store. I haven't bought any shoes in quite a while. And the last 6-8 pairs I bought are Birks from when I was working there. : Don't get me wrong... I my Birks, but if a girl wants to be sassy, she can not live on Birkenstocks alone. :LOL

Stacia - glad the birth went well. Such an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Baths here are only about once a week. Mia has taken to being really fussy (okay, straight up crying) afterwards while I towel her off and dress her, so I don't really want to do them more often than that. She enjoys the bath itself, but any calming influence the water may have is totally negated once I take her out, so it's generally not worth it. It's a bummer because she really has a ball in there. Maybe she'll outgrow it? When I do bathe her I put a bit of California Baby Chamomile and Herbs Bubble Bath in the water and that's it. If her hair is noticeably stinky/oily, I will use a touch of the same stuff and subs her hair up. Strangely, she never cares a bit about water in her face and eyes when I rinse it out. Go figure.

We still have lots of DaDa and yesterday she gave me a MAMA! And she did it as she was reaching for me to pick her up!

The teeth are popping in right and left over here! Two bottom have been in for a week or two, and now this weekend the top two are in. It's happening so fast!

Still not big on solids. But I gave her some Purely O's cereal and she loves them. She gnaws on them, then pops them in her mouth and gums them around, talking as they dissolve in her mouth. Then, as soon as they are mush in her mouth.... the gags! I'm right there with a sip of water, and she's right back to eating the O's. It's pretty funny, like she enjoys eating them, except for that pesky swallowing part. :LOL

Oh, and Heather, thanks for that recipe! I'm already a bread pudding junkie, so I'm super excited to try it out! YUM

I'm off to relax for the rest of Mia's nap. Bye Mamas!
Old 01-09-2005, 11:32 PM

I think my child is a freak of nature: she is now standing straight from the ground up, and can squat down, pick up a toy, and stand back up. Ummmm....eight months????!!!??? whoa dude! gotta run fussy babe but I just HAD TA TELL YA
Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 AM

Renae, ds2 is also doing the "milk" sign (I remember this with ds1... for about a month around this age we were saying, "Is he doing the sign? Is he doing the sign?"--he was definitely doing the sign). They know what's most important.

Maggie Mae, I saw that article, too. There have been sporadic articles here and there along those lines, but this one is pretty personal. La Leche League had an interesting piece in New Beginnings sometime in the last 6 mos (I think)... their take on it was something along the lines of "It's good that we're aware that there's a lot of pollution out there, and we use this to try to make the environment cleaner for *all* of us. Some people are getting kind of alarmist, though, and we shouldn't go overboard on this; breast is still best." I tend to agree. I kind of feel like the NYT article was written to be a little bit sensationalistic... y'know, to purposely frighten people. I don't think it's such a good idea... it's already hard enough to b'feed; we don't have to discourage women more. Also, even though the article was most *visibly* about bf'ing, a fair proportion of the exposures discussed were prenatal (where you're obviously not choosing breast or bottle).

But yeah... any animal fats you consume (in meat, dairy, or eggs) should be be very clean --> organic. Go, go, go natural family living.... Isn't it interesting that when we foul our nests (the planet) it comes back to haunt us in a very personal way.

Elsanne... in my mom & baby group from when ds1 was a baby, there was 1 little girl. She was actually walking by 8, 8 1/2 months. (So get ready.) And she was climbing up onto the dining room table and jumping off by 1 yr (I kid you not).
Old 01-10-2005, 11:27 AM

undefinedI have to start being better about using the signs. I always forget.

Not much to add today. Thinking about going away this weekend so dh can ski. I don't ski AT ALL. That requires coordination tha I absolutely do not have.

Oops, gotta go...
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Ahh, skiing...DH took me two winters ago (um, 3? maybe...it was 2002, I believe...anyway!) and um...yeah. I took a lesson, then spent the rest of the day being awestruck by DH's superior skiing prowess (seriously, that boy can SKI! ) and falling down the hills on my a$$. :LOL Part of it was my EXTREME fear of DYING, another part was the missing ACL ligament in my right knee preventing me from moving in the specific ways you need to in order to ski. Heh. And then the next day I thought I really was going to DIE, I was so sore. : But we did have fun.

It took me 1 1/2 hours to get Rowan to nap this morning, and he only slept for 45 minutes I think the babe's on the verge of some serious milestones, he's been fighting sleep so much!
Right now he's babbling to himself in his crib, I can hear him over the monitor, and I have to go get him soon, but I wanted to weigh in on the whole scary breastmilk thing.

I threw out the coffee I was drinking while I was reading it! It kind of freaked me out. But it's not gonna make me wean him anytime soon, that's for sure. The way I see it, we are ALL exposed to these toxins, and short of living in little plastic bubbles, all we can do is live as well as we can and yeah, go go go natural family living! Something I haven't been so good with lately. : But part of it is that I can't AFFORD to get everything organic, and my family has to eat! *sigh* I used to have a list I got somewhere of things you really should get organic, if you couldn't get EVERYTHING organic. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I know apples are one of the things on the list...anyway.

Elsanne, how cool that Sol is doing all this amazing stuff! But I bet it's kind of overwhelming too! I was an early walker too, I think I was walking at 10 months, if i remember correctly. One of the girls in my yoga/play group is just about standing and sitting on her own too, and she's 2 days younger than Rowan! It's incredible.

Like I said, I think Rowan's either getting more teeth, getting super-taller, or going to crawl soon. He's so restless!

And now I'd better go get him. We have a playgroup at noon. Take care, mamas!
Old 01-10-2005, 01:50 PM

Its really neat to learn about how different babies reach their milestones at different ages. My grandmother was telling me that her first child (my aunt) walked at 9 months and her second child (my mom) didn't walk or talk until she was three years old! That blows my mind because my mom is brilliant - first in her class of 200 enlisted when she was in the WAC, first in her family to go to college, got a BS in Mathematics with a minor in Earth Science and had started on her masters in only 3.5 years, etc... So anyone who's baby is late on a few things, don't panic!

Killy is not quite crawling - but he rolls and wiggles across the room quite effectively. He's trying to pull himself up to standing, too - though he usually only gets up onto his knees and is then stuck. He also said his first word this week - MAMA! Its soooo cool to hear him say that.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:52 PM

shhhhh.... don't tell anyone.... I don't bathe the babe. : OK, that's overstating it a bit. I only fully submerge or shower him about once every other week. The rest of the time he gets wiped down with a wash cloth. AND... (reserve your shock, ladies) I have never once used any sort of soap or shampoo. Ya see, when he was newborn, they told me not to for a while. And since he's never seemed to be smelly or oily, I just haven't been inspired to start. I'm sure once he gets mobile and actually eats more, things will change. Oh, and those of you who use the bath as a calming part of the routine? The sound of running water or the feel of it make ds super-stressed. He would have loved to live in the middle ages, when people bathed once a month, whether they needed it or not.:LOL

Had a dr's appt today and just as I expect, ds is totally healthy- no ear infection, and still stickin' to the 5th percentile in growth. Even though I didn't think I needed the appt, it's reassuring.

Thanks for the reminder about baby signs, everyone. Gotta start up again.

OK, fussy, fussy babe.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Hey fiddlefern, we don't use any soap on either of the boys (well, ds1 is old enough to use soap when he washes his hands). We only use baby shampoo on their hair, but that's because, as I said, we've learned that our babies get cradle crap if we don't shampoo once or twice a week. We bathe the boys together (with the baby splashing furiously--he loves water, boy, ds1 *didn't* when he was a baby), but often, the baby is asleep, and misses 1/2 the baths (which we do every other night). So I'd say he's getting one once or twice a week, mostly for his hair and for social reasons.

Glad he's doing fine on his growth curve. I know you were worried about gaining, but sounds like he's found his spot in the chart and he's doing great.

Skiing.. Oh, I haven't been downhill skiing in years (too $$$ for us). Pretty sad, because I grew up in SW Colorado, skiied at Telluride a ton (back when it was a little hippie town, not a yuppie/celebrity/Aspenish kind of place).

Renae, I agree with your perspective. But seriously, on organic food, it's my understanding that because of bioaccumulation as you move up the food chain and a lot of the crud being fat-soluble that you should focus on animal products especially (esp. high fat stuff). So meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs especially. There's a graph in my (now ancient) copy of Laurel's Kitchen...

Ack, ds1 is awake. Gotta go.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:33 PM

not even sure if I posted under this name or not. anyhow, I now have this name for awhile, at least until it is lost....

I am just so overwhelmed with life (aren't we all?) that I can't seem to get together to post...... you all sound like such wonderful buddies here.

my LeighAnn (5/25 and one week past due date.... a great homebirth!) is sitting up (though I put her into this position), she is clapping all the time (so cute), and makes lots of high pitched sounds (more like happy screams)
Spends most days in the backpack (maybe that is why she isn't moving yet : ( , I know she will eventually) Still nursing, have given her some bites of
banana, but that is it...... I also gave her a sippy cup recently with water in it...... haven't give ebm...... take that back, I did express a few ounces when she was 3 mos? anyway...... keep on saying I am going to, just in case I have to be apart from her for longer than a few minutes....lol

Anyway, hopefully I can post/read when I have time ; ) I live in the snowy Midwest..... NE OHIO

Sue, mama to LeighAnn (5/25/04) and mom to 5 other children (24,19,17, & 9yotwins) and grandma to grandsons 3y and 6weeks..... mother-in-law to daughter-in-law who is nursing my grandson!(yeah!!!!)
Oh almost forgot....... soulmate to Chris ; )
Old 01-10-2005, 11:34 PM

Fiddlefern, filthyfern, fiddlefriend, my tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I do NOT think you're filthy. Just wanted to write that because it's a...oh jeez...what's that literary term I learned way back when...alliteration? Glad the doc appt reassured you...I like to go to wellbaby visits too.

Baby bathing...here we bathe every other day or every 3rd day, she sweats a lot, and eats solids with her whole self, and it's getting harder & harder to change her dipe, I swear every time it's more of a struggle...I was reading that thread in the life with a babe forum with avid interest...she is a squirmy bean. Basically, cleanup time is fast & furious. Bathtime gets the nooks & crannies.

QofC, yay for saying mama! nothing beats that!

OMG, Renae, I can so relate to the hard time getting baby to sleep thing. This teether's front top chompers are giving her hell. I tried to put her down 4 times last night, finally having success on the 4th. jeez. fuss o rama child around here, naps are short.

Oh mamas, enjoy these last few nonmobile days! Let me tell you how much my mothering has changed in the last few weeks. I have to watch her CONSTANTLY (before I could be a little more lax). Also, the damn pincer grasp, she sees every teensy thing and it ALL GOES IN THE MOUTH. Am I complaining? Hm. Well, maybe a teeny bit...I guess it's what is, and I think the sun rises and sets on her sweet behind, but y'know...

Skiing! Sounds like fun! I haven't been in a long time.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 PM

Sue, rock on, I cannot conceive of being a grandmother and a baby bean mama. Hats off to you!! Mama extraordinaire! Are they are borne of you? (what a nosy question, elsanne) (*smacks back of hand to chastise self*)
Old 01-11-2005, 12:51 AM

Hi Mamas!

Welcome back, Sue! Glad to see you here.

Fiddlefern - glad to hear Luke's A-okay. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Elsanne - I hear ya on the mobility woes. Lily has had quite a few head-bonks when my head's turned, mostly from pulling up on things, then slipping off. And ditto on the dust-specks-and-week-old-tortilla-chip-crumbs-in-the-mouth phase. Ack, ack and triple ack.

But I guess the good part of all this practice is that she's really, truly eating tons of stuff with her fingers. We finally started putting her in the high chair during meals (like, started yesterday :LOL) and giving her a bunch of stuff to try. She LOVES puffed rice, and gets a lot actually in her mouth.

I've been :Puke this weekend - literally. I think about 5 or 6 times. I think it was the stomach flu, 'cause a lot of other people around here have had it. I reallyreallyreally hope Lily doesn't get it. DH is fine so far. It was really bad Saturday night and yesterday morning - I got a sub for my afternoon class, thank goodness. But now I feel fine - after my first real meal in 48 hrs.

Sarah
Old 01-11-2005, 01:29 AM

just a quick post to say that our babe is going to have TWO little cousins this summer!!!!!! yep, bill's sister is pregnant with twins!!!!!!!!!!! (courtesy of her fertility treatments... )

more later...

~claudia
Old 01-11-2005, 10:12 AM

all 6...... I was very young when I conceived my oldest. First Marriage (very short, but not very sweet!) my oldest was conceived then...was in college/got pg, grad from high school early thou so at least hsdiploma(had oldest at 18! yikes! ) My dh adopted him after we were married..... ex husb was a jerk, but made a wonderfully brave and wise decision to give his bio child a daddy back then..... my dh and son are SO close. met my soulmate 23yrs ago....married for 22yrs this coming June.....so that makes me 42 right now, 41 when I birthed LeighAnn. The best birth of all! Was a great pg too! Husband "caught" our daughter at home in one of the most precious moments of our lives. Wish we would of had home births for all our children (this was a vbac too, from 2nd twin c/s).......... I am a pretty vocal birth advocate........ was a doula for years. Attended first birth as support person almost 19yrs ago. I wasn't really active as a suuport person at births until my twins were a few yrs+ old, then I was quite busy. I do miss it, but I love my sleep now ; ) Enough on that....... sometimes I wished that I could be pretty much ignorant of birth in our country, like the rest of mainstrem society, cuz I think I grieve too much over births for women who don't : ( : ( : ( I promise I won't go on and on anymore about birth ; )

Just HAVE to learn how to put all those cute smilies in the text.... not sure if I will get to it, oh well! Better go...... full day ahead...... I homeschool too.... one more thing on my plate. We mostly unschool though, very little "seatwork" as I call it...... been doing it for over 6 years. My oldest daughter never went to hs. I "allowed her" to do what she wanted for hs..... she attends ft college (commutes) and got a 4.0 this semester.... not bad, for never opening a textbook or taking a class in hs. I am proud of her no matter what grades she gets, but it does help to reaffirm what I am doing for my the rest of the children.

Later......

From Sue...... old enough to be your mom? lol
Old 01-11-2005, 10:25 AM

do you give your child? Just a cereal box type? It has been 10yrs(!) since last baby.... sometimes I feel like I have started over (and forgot all that I did before) Always looking for finger foods (when we begin the messy process ; ) that aren't so messy.....

You all have reminded me what it is like when a baby starts crawling, and has mastered the pincher grasp. I think I will just be happy that my daughter IS progressing but not yet crawling ; ) the memories of hairballs and old dried up food picked up by the baby is coming back to me now.....

Sue
Old 01-11-2005, 02:26 PM

Claudia - how exciting about Bill's sister! That is fun.

Sue - I give Lily Arrowhead Mills puffed rice cereal - it's pretty soft and dissolves quickly. I've also given her organic rice-crispy-clone. Oh, and you aren't the only birth junkie. I'm a doula, and so are TurboClaudia (Claudia) and Defenestrator (Stacia), also on this thread. I'm going to school to be a midwife this coming summer (a CNM, but I promise I'll be the crunchiest CNM you'll ever meet!). Lily was born at home, in the water, and it was amazing.

And about the smilies - try NOT putting a space between your colons/semicolons and parentheses - that will at least get you the , the , and the . :LOL

Sarah
Old 01-11-2005, 04:55 PM

All this birth talk has got me thinking about my life…I am really wanting to train to be a doula with the thought that I will eventually become a LPMidwife. It frustrates me so much though because I can’t see how I am going to do it. This year I am the breadwinner and my partner is at home. Next year we both plan on working full time to make up for the lack of income this year and to save for buying a house. Then we plan on my partner getting pregnant with baby number two which means one of us being home with the baby. I am not sure which of us it will be – it would be “fair” if it were me but after this year of being the working and nursing mom I can’t imagine my partner doing that so I can be home when she is a teacher and would have a hard time pumping at work. So, I am the breadwinner again and I am beginning to feel more and more stuck in my job (it’s government and the money is good so we come to depend on it). I don’t see how I can transition into doula work with a young family and when I need to make the majority of the money we need to live on. There is a midwifery conference in Eugene, OR in March with an intro day on becoming a midwife that I want to go to and I used to live in Eugene so we could show off Eleanor to my firends there, but we probably don’t have the money…

Ergh! This is turning into another vent of pathetic proportions. I welcome your thoughts but I will drop this for now. :

I am taking suggestions for what to get my partner as a gift for adoption day. She is officially adopting Eleanor on the 19th and I want to get her something special. My mom is giving her a charm bracelet so that's out. Any ideas?

Claudia, I have twin nephews and it is a lot of fun – Congratulations!

Sue – welcome back!

We bathe every other day or every three days here. I use California Baby soap but I think that it dries out Eleanor’s hair so I am using it less and just rinsing her hair well with most baths. She loves bathtime so much! I have to search for some better milder soap.

Elsanne – thanks for the preview of crawling - and standing - yikes! Congrats to Sol for being such a big grown up girl!

QofC – Killy and my daughter Eleanor sound like they are both at about the same point in learning to crawl. No pull ups or mamas directed at us here yet although the sound mama and baba are her favorite babbles.

Megan – not big on solids here yet either. So far we are managing to get one spoonful of peas and a tablespoons or two of banana/rice cereal/ebm mixture in the morning with only about half of it actually getting swallowed (and none of the peas go down!). No interest in finger foods but I might try puffed rice soon.

I read the breastfeeding article in the NY Times and I found it sensationalist not because I doubt that the chemicals that she wrote about aren’t out there (or should I say in here) but because she did not compare the level of risk with that of formula which is made from cow’s milk that has it’s own problems and environmental contaminates. So she just touched on the real choice that mom’s have to make between formula and bfing and she just touched on the global issues so the article overall was not deep enough for me while still managing to make women question the wholesomeness of breastmilk. Ger. I mean, come on, this isn’t just about feeding our individual babies it’s about much bigger global issues that have to do with the serious lack of natural family living we are doing as a society.

Take care mamas and babies!
Old 01-11-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1
I read the breastfeeding article in the NY Times and I found it sensationalist not because I doubt that the chemicals that she wrote about aren’t out there (or should I say in here) but because she did not compare the level of risk with that of formula which is made from cow’s milk that has it’s own problems and environmental contaminates.

Excellent Point. I chose not to read the article, b/c I'm a big ol' chicken, and am really afraid of what I might read.

For Adoption Day ( YAY!) how about getting a nice picture of the two of them or your entire family framed and maybe get one of those engraveable frames and choose somethng nice and memorable to have engraved. Whadd'ya think? Or waht about one of those necklaces that have the mama/child pendant? Sorry if these are lame suggestions. You are the most caring dp ever! (wanna come give lessons to my dh? :LOL)

Sarah-hope you're feelingbetter. I hate hate hate the pukies.

Welcome to SUe! You sound so busy, but sound like you love every minute of it. Kudos to you for raising such smart/happy children!

Elsanne. There I said it. :LOL Make you feel special???

fiddle-great to hear about Lukes appt! Sounds like he's right on his own track!

As for bathing, dd gets one every day, mostly b/c she loves it so darn much. She just thinks its the greatest! I have to wash her hair about twice a week, b/c both my dd's are cradle-cap-y when we don't wash enough.

Just started reading a fun book-john Grisham's "The Last Juror" Very captivating so far. Only read about 7 chapters or so, but am thoroughly enjoying the entertaining reading.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&L+1
I read the breastfeeding article in the NY Times and I found it sensationalist not because I doubt that the chemicals that she wrote about aren’t out there (or should I say in here) but because she did not compare the level of risk with that of formula which is made from cow’s milk that has it’s own problems and environmental contaminates.

Excellent Point. I chose not to read the article, b/c I'm a big ol' chicken, and am really afraid of what I might read.

For Adoption Day ( YAY!) how about getting a nice picture of the two of them or your entire family framed and maybe get one of those engraveable frames and choose somethng nice and memorable to have engraved. Whadd'ya think? Or waht about one of those necklaces that have the mama/child pendant? Sorry if these are lame suggestions. You are the most caring dp ever! (wanna come give lessons to my dh? :LOL)

Sarah-hope you're feelingbetter. I hate hate hate the pukies.

Welcome to SUe! You sound so busy, but sound like you love every minute of it. Kudos to you for raising such smart/happy children!

Elsanne. There I said it. :LOL Make you feel special???

fiddle-great to hear about Lukes appt! Sounds like he's right on his own track!

As for bathing, dd gets one every day, mostly b/c she loves it so darn much. She just thinks its the greatest! I have to wash her hair about twice a week, b/c both my dd's are cradle-cap-y when we don't wash enough.

Just started reading a fun book-john Grisham's "The Last Juror" Very captivating so far. Only read about 7 chapters or so, but am thoroughly enjoying the entertaining reading.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:36 PM

Almost forgot-YAY Claudia for your soon to be nieces/nephews! What fantastic news! Did you mention her efforts ttc a while ago on the thread? I bet your sil/bil are tickled pink! (or blue :-))
Old 01-11-2005, 07:49 PM

Sherriiiiii...*sigh*....I feel so special!

Lisa, what about a piece of jewelry? I like the mom/baby pendant idea or a ring. Or a day at a local spa. Or...hmmm...
So interesting to me to think about both partners being able to bear babies. I sure wish my next one could be borne by my partner.

Sue, you're not old enough to be my gramma! I had to laugh...one of my friends down here just had her first at 42! And it was a surprise! I'm 32.

Claudia, yaay about your twinnies! How exciting for your whole family. Is this their first success TTC? I know 2 people trying so hard right now, and I know it's a struggle when AF comes month after month.

Sherri, I cannot see the dang lavender. I love the color but my eyeballs don't. Am I the only one? My computer is weird. I can't highlight the text and change the color either. I love my 'pooter but it's got it's things. It's a mac laptop.

Sarah, OMG honey I sooo feel for you and the pukies!!! DH has been super sick for a week now, and just last night he and I both, simultaneously at about 2 am, got up and puked in separate bathrooms. This morning Sol was sweetly awake at before dawn (!), and I tried so hard to be awake, and just couldn't because I slept HORRIBLY...she eventually got fussypants and I listlessly laid there while she started to scream, so DH got up with her and I got a magical hour of sleep after which I woke, sooo refreshed, a little sapped but overall okay.

Had class today and had great attendance, a great class overall, which hasn't happened (the attendance) in like two months! So heartening.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:52 PM

sorry 'bout the purple. just today i was thinking it is too light. think i'll swithc to another color. hmmm, sienna sounds good......is that ok with you, mcsarahb? :LOL
Old 01-11-2005, 08:49 PM

quickie post from work. i spent an hour last night trying to get our dsl hooked up at home. grrrr. i need to spend a couple hours on the phone with tech support to figure out the problemo. but since isaac won't SLEEEEEP that's near impossible. dh took care of him all day yesterday (and they had a good day which is what dh needed for his confidence levels) so by the evening i needed to have cuddlebug time

i have lots to respond to but will do the quick short one right now:

turboclaudia lets go for sunday am since mcsarahb has swim lessons sat morning. sounds FUN (the swimming and the breakfast). so is that this sunday the 16th???? or the 23rd?

we're having sleep issues. at least it goes in waves. i spent part of last night on the floor of isaac's room in a sleeping bag with him rolling around next to me until he conked out because he was screaming when i tried to lay him in his crib (and has been for all of the no-nap weekend). he had been in our bed but i finally moved when at 2am dh said he hadn't fallen asleep yet because isaac has this nighttime cough right now. we need to buy a humidifier i guess for the babe.

about that article. i read it a little while ago (or a similar one...i didn't click this one). the sad thing about it is that most of those chemicals are not introduced to our bodies through the food route. they are in couches and matresses and carpet and things that we touch and sit on and use all the time. they get in the food chain and it does help to buy organic but i find it a bit depressing that you could eat pristinely natural foods only and would still have these chemicals. every single woman in the study tested positive. they're ubiquitous in our society. LAME to say the least. and yes...i'd love to see the test results on formula compared. they would probably be about the same

YAY for twinnies. and standing. and the pincer grasp (i'm starting to get the icks too with the stuff into the mouth). and the adoption date. and to sue joining us. and for crawling. and not yet crawling. and bathing. and not bathing.

i looove the burts bees buttermilk bath powder. i just sprinkle some of the milk powder in the tub and use a washcloth to clean all the creases. i was doing more frequent baths but lately its been so cold (and our new bathroom is reallllly cold) that i've gone to every 4 (maybe 3 or 5) days. isaac is a water baby and looooves it. he squeals when i start running the bath. last night he was trying to grab the side and stand up in the tub which i found to be very very very scary. because by next week he probably will. he's not crawling but i did turn around to see him standing up holding on to his dresser drawer this weekend anyhoo the buttermilk bath just gives him a yummy sweet smell (same as that apricot oil). or i do a squirt of j&j to make some bubbles...which he likes grabbing.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar
YAY for twinnies. and standing. and the pincer grasp (i'm starting to get the icks too with the stuff into the mouth). and the adoption date. and to sue joining us. and for crawling. and not yet crawling. and bathing. and not bathing.
:LOL We have lots to YAY about, don't we, ladies? Oh, and jstar - I love that Burt's baby stuff smell, too. I bought the Baby Bee Solid Perfume for myself years ago.

Sherri - Well, I GUESS you can have sienna, since I always forget to use it anyway!

Lisa - oh, gosh, what a momentous occasion. I like the idea of a picture of E and A, in a beautiful frame. Or maybe an extremely special charm for the bracelet, like a tiny gold locket, with a curl of E's hair in it? Some of you may think that's weird, but I like those kind of things. Or even a beautiful charm with "Mommy" on it - didn't you say you're Mama, and she's Mommy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsanne
So interesting to me to think about both partners being able to bear babies. I sure wish my next one could be borne by my partner.
Me too, me too! I don't think DH would have any of that, however...he knows his weaknesses. :LOL He's always telling me how much he admires me for nursing her all night long, etc.

Going out for Thai food tonight! Yum!

Sarah
Old 01-11-2005, 10:27 PM

Hey Mamas. Glad to hear everyone seems to be doing well. Wish I could say the same for myself, but DH and I seem to have slipped into a bit of a funk.. Nothing that we won't work through, but it's still not fun to deal with stuff like this when it comes up. Ugh.

At least I was able to channel my emotion into action and I did a big clean up in our bedroom. Anyone else clean when you're angry/upset? All the lingering laundry (how on earth do we have so many lost socks???) and general junk stuffs are put away and/or bagged up to go to Goodwill, the bed is made (this doesnt' happen as often as it should : ), the furniture is dusted and the floor is vaccuumed. *whew* Feels nice. I even put out some new candles in hopes of making up with DH later this evening. Wish me luck.

On the babe tip, what is it with these sleep fighters??? I can hardly stand it the past few nights. Mia has always been sooo easy to put down to sleep, but the last 3 nights have been crazy. She's tired and seemingly ready to sleep at 7:30. I take her in and nurse/rock her to sleep. As soon as I stand up to put her in the crib, she wakes up and gets super squirmey and fussy. Then all she wants to do is play. And I mean PLAY. She's rolling around and laughing and playing peek-a-boo. Even if we are just lying in the dark (I fake sleep to get her to calm down), she's still having a grand time as if it's the middle of the afternoon. I've finally been able to get her down around 9-9:15, when she finally just conks out, almost mid-movement, like she would love to keep playing, but her body craps out. I hope it's a phase. And a short one, at that. (I know, I know... it's all a flippin' phase. )

Oh, I fell today. With Mia in my arms. I was walking into her room to put her down for a nap, and I tripped when my shoe caught on the carpet. The trip flung me through the doorway, where I immediately grabbed onto the crib... which is on wheels. So I pulled the crib along with me for a second before I turned to keep myself forom falling on to of Mia. I have to say, I was pretty darned impressed with my reflexes. Way to go mama instincts! So anyway, she was fine (scared, but okay) and I hurt my knee, but pretty minorly. It's skinned and sore, but I can walk on it, so I figure it's fine.

So yeah, that's my day! Sorry if I'm not soundling like a very compassionate mama today. It's been a rough one.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:43 PM

Megan -
Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM

I've been readin', but I can't post...I have to do the dishes while Rowan's still (thank the GODS!!) asleep!
Megan. Rowan's being a poop with the sleeping too, especially naptimes.

Okay, Take care, mamas! Off I go!

Old 01-12-2005, 01:29 AM

Awww, Megan Here's to a better tomorrow. I totally go into super-cleaning-woman when I'm mad. I never clean better than when I'm upset/angry. Gee, wish I'd be mad more often, my house might actualy look decent :LOL J/K

User Tag List