May 04 Babes - Happy new year!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2005, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New year everyone..

I am at my parents and everyone is watching parades on TV except me. Julia is teethingn like mad and not sleeping well at all. All in all we are having a good time though.

I haven't caught up with the old thread and probably won't but I wanted to start us off on the new year!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Jacqueline, I got a teether here too! I can so relate.

I went out again last night (twice in one week! OMG) with my brother to a party and came home fairly shortly after midnight...missed my girl...she did well with my parents.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 PM

I have a teether here , too. No teeth quite yet, though! Happy New Year everyone!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:51 PM

Happy 2005!

Well, we stayed home last night. BUT, DH got Lily down by herself and we stayed up reading for an hour, which was wonderful!!! First time I've ever stayed up after Lily's gone down. New year, new sleep habits, I hope.

Sarah
Old 01-01-2005, 04:00 PM

happy new year everyone! went to a friend's house last night for a kids-and-their-parents party and we celebrated east coast new year's and central time new year's before the kids started fading. made it back home just before rocky mountain new year's. :LOL

anyway, for any new mamas to our thread (welcome kelly!) just a reminder that you can also join our yahoo group to see pictures and such at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/May2004MDCMamas click on join in the center of the page and i'll approve you as quickly as i can.

warmly,
claudia
Old 01-01-2005, 05:50 PM

Happy New Year wonderful mamas! Here's to even more magic and joy! OMG our babies are in their EIGHTH months!!

Well, I worked last night. But, it was a fun party I worked, and DH actually got Rowan to take a sippy with EBM! Yay! Here's to a new year with even more new skills and goodness to come!

Of course, I am glossing over the fact that a few minutes ago, our digital camera's disk crapped out and we lost over 100 pictures, including holiday ones.

This is all we got from Rowan's 7th month!

Oh well. Simplify. This month I will take many more beautiful pictures.

Take care, mamas.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:19 PM

Woo Hoo 2005! Hoping for a productive, peacefull and happy year for my family and all of yours.

Got a teether here, too, I think finally this will really be it and we may actually see some teeth this time. I was wondering out loud when Amelia would get her first teeth in front of my Grandmother and she said that one of my uncles didn't get his first tooth until 14 months!!!! Holy cow!

Well we nixed the going out idea and hung out at home.... I fell asleep putting hte babe down, came downstairs at 10:30 and dh had fallen asleep in front of his movie, so we just went to bed. (We were dead-tired from our restless teether.) We're lamd-o's. BUt heard the firecrackers outside at midnight and celebrated with a then promptly fell back asleep.

Gotta run, Happy New Year to all!

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

Old 01-01-2005, 06:21 PM

Hi all-
Happy January! We celebrated Gabriel's 7-month birthday and New Year's Eve by going to bed at 10:30. I tried to stay up later, but couldn't. And, for the past two weeks, Gabriel only sleeps with me. I'd been with him on the couch for three hours and when we moved in to the bedroom, he woke up. The only way to get him back down was nursing in bed. So, I was done for the night!

Sarah-Hearing Lily's sleeping changes gives me hope. I'm hoping Gabriel will change in that regard over the next month. He had been sleeping without me at the first part of the night for a good chunk. I hope he can get that back! I need some more me time. That's why I haven't had any chances to write here...and I've missed you all!

About TV, it's on more than I like, but I try to be conscious about it. I don't turn it on until mid afternoon for one hour; then I might turn it on later for Oprah and/or the Food Network (I'm an addict for the Food channel). I do nurse him down at night on the sofa, where we are often watching a program we like. He seems to go to sleep just fine. It's just in the moving to bed we have problems.

DH and I both grew up watching too much TV, so we feel strongly about limiting it. And, if I notice Gabriel watching it too intently during the time I do have it on, it goes off. We're trying for a happy medium. I have to admit, I find TV very comforting when I've been alone in the house all day with a wee one and dh is gone. I don't like that, but it's me!

Solids are going well. Gabriel likes pretty much all the fruits and veggies I've given him, even a little turkey! Still no teeth, and no explosive poops, so I guess those are a ways off. In fact, since we started solids, his poops are way less. I guess that's normal, but it's quite a change.

Better go. He needs a little booby-nap time (one and the same at our house).
Old 01-01-2005, 07:28 PM

happy new year!
we had just gone to bed last night when the boy cried for the boob. So I got up to nurse him, and when he was almost done my husband announced that it was 11:59. So we waited a few seconds, then he got out of bed and came to the rocker to give the boy a new year's kiss. very quiet. I think it was the first time since I was a little girl that I wasn't actually celebrating the new year at the strike of midnight. Ah, well, it was nice anyway.

May 2005 be as fabulous and wonderful and maybe even a little bit better than 2004.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:31 PM

Couple questions I'm curious about, Mama's. How close to his/her due date was your baby born? And do you think that your babe's being early or late has much affect on his/her development outside of the womb this first year? And now that I've sat down to post this, I've forgotten the other thing I wanted to ask. *sigh* Oh well, I'm sure it wasn't all that important. But I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2005, 09:02 PM

Happy New Year everyone! There is a wriggly baby on my lap, so I might have to keep it short.

Everything is better here now that I am not working my holiday temp job anymore. I attended an awesome, awesome birth about a week ago and then drove home in a blizzard -- I am hoping the weather holds because we have a bunch of country homebirths on our plate over the next few weeks and I have a sad little Jetta. We have been enjoying the winter weather, though, with lots of sledding. 4 yr old ds keeps on wanting to put Theo on the sled and send him down the hill. I don't think his intentions are entirely honorable.

Good holidays, if subdued. We have had colds and rotavirus come through our house, but everyone seems to have bounced back. We are watching the Rose Bowl tonite and eating pizza on the floor a la picnic.

Take care mamas!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:15 PM

Happy New Year!!

I never get to check in but thought I would say hello!
I can't believe our babies are big babies now! Ella is almost 7.5 months...I never thought she would be this old. The time is flying.

We are also working on teeth but no pearls yet. She is pulling herself up and crashing to the ground several times a day makes my heart jump every single time.

Anyway, a kiss to your babies!
Sarita
Old 01-02-2005, 01:25 AM

Well, to answer your question, AGrace, Rowan was due 5/19 but was born one week later exactly, 5/26. I don't think too much about whether his developmental milestones have anything to do with his "lateness", but he has done some things before the books "say" he should do them, and other things I hear some of these babes doing, he hasn't even thought about doing yet.
So I don't know if his due date affected much. Not sure if I answered that right, I've been on the computer too long and now I'm all tired.

I was gonna say more but now I forgot. Darn, it's catching. :LOL Hope you all have a great night!

I'm trying not to think about how tomorrow is DH's last day of vacation. We're gonna miss him. But at least he doesn't start school till Tuesday!
Old 01-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Agrace--I have thought about this. Sol was 2 weeks late, she was due april 18, and was born may 1...OMG were those hard weeks...and she was born at 9.5 lbs and was always super advanced in many skills. Like now! She's crawling and cruising on furniture, and can stand alone for a while--her record is a whopping 16 seconds!! So I think it did really have an effect that she was late.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Just subscribing...back from our weekend in CT. Some good parts and lots of annoyances. I can't how many times I got told what a "mama's girl" she was.

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
Old 01-02-2005, 07:26 PM

hmmm....due dates, well let's see, Kayla Rain was due on feb 8, born on jan 26 but she was a pretty early dveloper, crawling at 6mos very well and by 7mos was walking around furniture (not letting go too often though) and was walking well and actually running by 11mos. Asha on the other hand was due on may 15 and born on the 29th, she is now sitting well and doing the backwards crawl, but nowhere near what Kayla was doing. Then again, Asha weighs ALOT more than Kayla ever did; she's about 19-20lbs (Asha weighs the same now that Kayla weighed at 18mos!!) so I would think that it has more to do w/ how big your babe is, if they're kinda chunko then it might take a lil longer for some stuff, as they have more to haul around.hth! and happy new year to everyone!!!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM

Happy B-day Renae! :
Old 01-02-2005, 11:26 PM

Happy New Year, Mamas!

For the first time ever, I was in bed and sound asleep by 10:30 on NYE. :LOL I was tired and just had to take advantage of the 3 hour stretches of sleep Mia's been having. I don't know what brought it on (especially since she's teething really bad), but for the past 4 nights, she's been donig 3 hours chunks all night long, even in the early morning hours.

She hasn't been too hip on solids lately, but today she did have a bit of banana, and then I also gave her an arrowroot cookie to gnaw on and she it! Kept her occupied in the highchair during our whole lunch and then some. And she looked so pleased with herself! Very cute.

Oh, and Mia was almost 2 weeks late, induced c-birth. I think she's pretty ahead of the curve on a lot of develoipmental stuff. She 5/29 birthdate (just barely 7 months) and is crawling, sitting really well, and pulling up to standing. Not sure if its relate to her "lateness", but I've considered it.

Bye for now... I'm off to eat Zinfandel Pot Roast. YUM!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 AM

Hi, ladies! I was visiting family on the east coast for the last two weeks of December and it is so good to be home now!

To answer the current question: Killy was one week early by the midwife's calculations and 2 weeks early by mine. During the entire pregnancy I measured big and he was a healthy 7.11 at birth and has hit every milestone on time or early.

Okay - I must know! - what is Zinfadel Pot Roast? It sounds wonderful!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Hi Mamas! So glad to be back home....

About due dates and milestones: Ben was 2 days late so nothing seems off there, but DD was a month early, and pretty small, and she was pretty consistently a month behind up until about 2yrs, and from then on I haven't noticed a thing... There's such a wide range of normal!

Our big trip east was a success! Ben *LOVED* his great-granfather - both of their faces just lit up everytime they saw each other. Flying was good, although there was an awfully nasty woman sitting in front of us on the way home. She couldn't have been more than 20 and the first time Ben bumped her seat she whipped around, glared at me and said in a nasty tone, "He's bumping my seat - make him stop." I didn't respond, but didn't try too hard to reign the babe in either! She soon fell asleep so no further grumpiness ensued. Whatever... Other than that, all was well. I'll post travel tips on the Yahoo group I think

And jstar - thankyouthankyouthankyou for the encouragement/suggestion to nurse the babe while in the carseat! We wouldn't have made it home from Chicago without that! I felt like quite a contortionist, but the minivan had good headroom, so it worked!

We started solids 2 days ago - carrots. Ben didn't hate it, but I wouldn't say he's super excited about the project either. He took about 5 finger-fuls, including one from his sister, so it was fun, if not nutritionally beneficial. We haven't done it again, but maybe tonight. Our co-op didn't have any organic bananas yesterday, so I think avocados will be next on the menu... (How can a grocery store not have bananas???)

A sink full of dirty dishes beckons before the babe wakes up, so I'm off. Hope you all are having a good begining of 2005!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:09 PM

oooh! happy belated renae!! : :LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Happy Happy Renae!!! Very late, but I want to tell you how much you have brought to our little board here. I truly enjoy your candor and openness in your posts, your unconditional support of others, and getting to "know" you and your son. Hope this year is the best yet.

Welcome home, maggie mae, qofc!

Solids! This babe has eaten crazy things. Okay, not crazy, just way more than I would have thought by now. When we go out to eat with friends or family (almost daily--poor me ) I give her something--yesterday it was some beans! She loved them and ate them more than the other stuff I have been giving her (fruit, avocado, etc). I sucked each one clean and then mushed it with my fingers into little parts. My parents gave her rice at a mexican restaurant...she doesn't get
'one meal a day' that way by any means yet. just samplin! i am too lazy to really feed solids in earnest (prep, cleanup, etc) when the boob is ready to go, neat & no clean up! I want to skip over the spoon feeding part entirely. Have her use her little hands.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM

Maggie Mae- The lady on the plane, whoa! She's one of those people you secretly wish that when she has kids that they'll be of the unruly unmanageable sort, so that she feels really bad about all the parents she harrassed in her past. Or maybe she shouldn't have kids..... No I really don't wish bad things like that on parents or kids..... what an aweful person I am

Warning: Nervous first-time mother venting her insecurities ahead....

Well I had a whole huge thing written but I decided not to go ahead and paste it in here, I think they're issues I need to deal with, that if I expect someone to listen to, I should be paying them. I won't bore or burden you guys with them, I'll wait until I can afford a therapist. :LOL In short, I asked about your babies' due dates and development because Amelia is a bit behind in things like crawling and the sounds she makes, etc. And I can't help but wonder if it's because she was three weeks early or if it's because I haven't stimulated her enough, or if it's DH's genes (lots of learning disabilities in that family). I love this girl with all my heart and soul and more, and she'll be a wonderful person whether or not she effortlessly gets straight A's and scholarships to the best colleges or struggles to get C's and opts to learn a trade or something, those things don't matter. I'm worried about whether or not I'll actually remember that when she's older and she doesn't live up to whatever expectations I may dream up for her. I don't want to be the wife that resents my husband because my daughter is more like him than I'd like her to be, and I don't want to be the mother who expects my child to be somebody or do something that she doesn't want to. KWIM? I think letting go is going to be very hard for me. But I look at it this way... at least I'm aware of the potential problem so that I can possibly catch myself or hopefully prevent it from even happening.

Well I guess I ended up blabbing more than I meant to. :ignore You can ignore that, it just felt good to get it out I guess. : :

Old 01-03-2005, 04:39 PM

Oh, AGrace, I'm so sorry you're feeling worried about this! And I know where you're coming from. My dh has quite a pot pourie of interesting genes- brother's autistic and developmentally disabled, dad's had a triple bipass and is diabetic (and in my opinion has an anxiety disorder and is a wee bit on the autistic spectrum), mom is schizophrenic. Still, they're all wonderful people.

I admit I DO worry about ds sometimes, especially because he's been a tiny bit behind on the developmental stuff, and because his head is a bit on the large size (a possible indicator of autism). However, being a Biology major, I learned a lot about genetics in college and realize that there's so much chance at place here, and that the likelihood ds will have any of the worrisome characteristics is fairly small (except the heart disease- that's probably going to be an issue he'll have to watch out for). Ds is a very alert little baby and there's such a range in development that there's no need to think he's at risk right now.

It helps me that I've worked in the field of developmental disabilities, and realize that that people are people and we all have hang-ups and challenges. I'll bet your dd is going to be happy, healthy, AND bright. You've given her a wonderful head start by breastfeeding and responding to her needs rather than letting her cio. If it turns out that she does have some learning issues, I'll bet you discover that they don't define her, they're just one of many characteristics of your wondeful dd. ((((hug))))

Oh- and therapy is an AWESOME thing to do as a new mother, imo. I started when I was pregnant, and since ds was born it has really helped me with issues such as receiving the negative feelings ds is communicating to me when he's upset rather than trying to block and squelch them, and other healthy patterns of relating to this new little being.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:47 PM

oops- almost forgot why I came to post in the first place.

We tried avacado yesterday. Here's what ds thought.

I put some in a bowl and he had fun feeling it, but made no moves towards his mouth. So I put a tiny bit on my finger and slipped it in his mouth. He made a face, and then he gagged up a bunch of saliva. So I guess you could say it wasn't a big hit. :LOL

I'll probably try something new every few days just so the pediatrition and my mother aren't breathing down my neck about how he's only in the 4th percentile for weight and needs some solids. But seriously, I think this 'lil guy just wants to be little, and he just wants his momma's milk. Whatcha gonna do? I'm going to trust that he knows what his body needs.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:07 PM

Aww...so much to say, but it took me so darn long to get Rowan down for a nap this afternoon that I have to do a TON of other things right now before he wakes up! I'll be able to sit down for a while tonight though, when DH gets home.

But--thank you so much for your wonderful birthday wishes (here and on the Yahoo group!) and the sweet words. I really enjoy this group so much, and all of you are just amazing. Thank you.

Okay, time for some leftover birthday cake!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:57 PM

AGrace-first of all, big Sounds like you have an awful lot going on in your mind, and it sure is alot to process. It is so easy to feel like you aren't stimulating enough for your little peach, but chances are, she's got plenty of learning opportunities, just by spending time with you and your loving and cuddling. As long as you don't leave a baby in some crib all day, I think you are doing just fine. Babies learn so much just by observing every day life and errands. What seems like a boring trip to the bank is exciting for a baby-new lights, sounds, smells, ceiling fans, people coming up to the baby to admire, etc. Also, *IF* your baby has some developmental delays, there are EXCeLLENT early intervention programs out there. I read a statistic, that if you get started with EI quickly once you notice real problems, those kids usually catch up to their peers by age 2or 3. I think these are all things to bring up to your healthcare provider. There is such a WIDE range of normal, too, taht it is so easy to get caught up in what other babies are doing. I know my oldest dd walked when she was 10.5 months. Pulled up and cruised on furninture at 9mos etc. So she was VERY motor skill oriented. Her speech, is in the normal range, but for a long time I worried about it, b/c her peers spoke so much better than she did at the same age. Now, my youngest dd is quite verbal and has been for some time, but is not quite so ahead in the large motor skills dept. Sits great, but not crawling yet or even really scooting. I guess my point is that each child has its strengths/weaknesses, and we as parents just have to roll with the punches, and let them decide what they'll do when. It is so hard to let go, and in some ways, parenting is a continual process of letting go. Hope I didn't sound too preachy, I just wanted ot offer you all my support. Please know that you can come here anytime to vent/talk/whatever. We're here to listen and we all support you immensely.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:19 PM

Ah, mamas. Good Monday morning!

QoC and Maggie Mae - glad your respective trips went well. MM, sorry you had to deal with such a grump. Some people just don't understand babies.

Elsanne - I'm right with you on the solids. Lily gets something off our plates almost every meal, be it beans, rice, soft veggies, you name it. But we don't put her in the high chair and spoon feed her at all. One, she hates purees, and two, I'm lazy! She's got the pincer grasp down pretty well, and loves trying to pick up any small speck of something. What's really funny is that she'll have this tiny bit of food on her fingertip, then cram her whole fist in her mouth to eat it. :LOL Oh, and speaking of food, she had her first french fry the other day - a Burgerville sweet potato fry, with most of the outer salty part eaten off by me.

AGrace - Mama, feel free to bounce these things off of us! That's what we're here for! I think all new mamas are prone to this sort of stuff, really. Lily seems fairly normal for her age, and she was two days late. She was really late to roll over, but has always been very verbal. She started crawling right before Christmas, so almost 8 mos. old, which is pretty average. But she's definitely way behind in the hair department. :LOL My friend's one-year-old has a 20+ word vocubulary, but a 15-mo-old I just met only says "woof" (for dog). They're all so different! I really like what Fiddlefern said - even if a baby does end up having some learning issues, they won't *define* that child. And I really agree with Sherri - babies get so much out of everyday observation - I really don't think it's lack of stimulation. Rest easy for a while, mama; but don't feel shy about continuing this discussion, either, if it helps!

Sarah
Old 01-03-2005, 09:12 PM

Re the due date question... ds2 was 12 days "late" (ds1 was 17 or 18 days late, IIRC). They are both very big (over 95th %ile for length generally, ~90th for weight, usually). Ds1 hit most of his milestones early or at least "on time" (except speech, it seemed, though I think part of that was because he was such a good signer, but he's very articulate now... I digress). Ds2 seems to be hitting a lot of his gross motor milestones (esp. rolling, sitting, progress toward crawling) later (often by quite a bit) than ds1, though his fine motor skills seem better at this age than ds1's were (IIRC). Also, I think his speech skills are better (I really do believe that he's doing mama, dada, and bye-bye sporadically--yeah, I'm nuts--and his range of consonant sounds seems to be larger than ds1's were). He laughed (hard) really early (<2 weeks old), but he won't eat (anything at all). I think he's a lot more laid back than ds1. I don't know if he's ever going to get his belly off the ground, at the rate he's going. My point... everyone's different.... I fully expect this child to be "later" than my 1st. I fully expect him to not be high strung (like my 1st ).

AGrace, I don't know where Mia's at with the stuff you mentioned, but here's some more food for thought. *Don't* compare her to the stuff everyone else is posting. A lot of what mamas post is the bragging kind of thing (good, positive bragging--see what my wonderful child can do, isn't that great?), and so it's not necessarily what you should expect from *your* child. If your baby gets teeth early, rolls early, crawls early, talks early, is big, has amazing hair, etc., you talk about it, because it's interesting, and we all like to hear about it. Sometimes, an unintended consequence is that for other mamas, if their babies aren't doing those things yet, they worry.

If you're truly worried, talk about it with your pediatrician (it can be reassuring!). Get a chart with milestones listed and the normal age ranges for them (actually, I think there are some of these somewhere at babycenter.com). For most milestones, there's actually a pretty big range for "normal". And if Mia truly *is* behind, you can get help. From talking to other parents, the kind of therapy you do to help babies generally is kind of fun (PT for babies seems like a lot more fun than PT for adults, anyway).

I was chatting with some other parents from ds1's preschool class about baby milestones the other day. We all talked about when our kids first crawled, walked, talked, etc. What was interesting was that looking at the kids *today* (all 3-4 yrs old), and their physical and verbal skills, you would have *no* *idea* which of them was doing what when. So even though yes, being really late for a bunch of milestones can indicate a problem, I personally think that how your child goes about "achieving" the milestones is more useful in telling you about the child's *personality* rather than anything at all about his/her *intelligence*.

But yeah, part of parenting is definitely about finding out that your child is human (just like everyone else!). One thing that has helped me is looking at *myself* and remembering that there are things I'm good at and things I'm not good at, and it's just part of what makes me *me*. Let's talk about my physical coordination for a second... I've never been able to do anything even resembling a cartwheel, and my coordination wrt dance moves, rhythm, etc. is pretty hilarious. But I'm really strong--when I'm in shape, I can do ~8 pull-ups (quite a feat for a tall woman) and I can kick anyone's ass (male or female) mountain biking.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:43 PM

we have a TOOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

along with all sorts of weird behavior, e.g too much sleep, not enough sleep, drippy nose, drippy mouth, weird nursing and eating habits and timing, chewing on toys, chewing on clothes, chewing on the buckles of overalls, chewing on shoes, sucking on feet, etc.

squirming babe on my lap... gotta go...

warmly,
claudia

User Tag List