~Oct.04 Momma's~ Happy New Year!!!!!! January Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2005, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought a New Year warrants a new thread, hope nobody minds!

How did you all spend your New Year? It was our 5th anniversary. We hosted a little gathering of friends and family for a fondue party for the second year in a row, so I guess we are starting a little tradition. Mmm, it was good, of course we finished it off with a chocolate fondue for dessert. Then we played two games of Cranium which was fun. My kids were both up until 11, Oakley is still sleeping but Ember was up at her usual time lately, 7:30....so it might be a long day

Anyone want to talk resolutions? I have noticed over the holidays that my stomach has finally (at almost 27) turned into an adult...I used to be able to eat whatever sweets I want without a problem but this year I paid for it when I went overboard. Of course I didn't listen to it though....so my vow is to listen to the wisdom of my body, it is probably trying to prevent me from consuming more calories than I will be able to burn off :LOL And of course my main goal is to focus more on Ember's needs...I feel pretty confident that I am meeting Oakley's but unfortunately like so many others I feel as though I am not meeting both my children's needs. At the same time my mantra for the year is to enjoy all of Oakley's babyhood because it will be the last time I get to experience it, and obviously the only time I expereince his.

So Happy New Year to all the ladies who played such a big role in my life in 2004.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kathy::
Old 01-02-2005, 04:42 AM

: Happy New Year! :

my husband got home from work just in time for a midnight kiss we had a candlelight dinner and some champagne, then celebrated by, ahem, ahh let's just say champagne makes me horny i let Willow sleep in her swing in the next room so we could hear her but wouldn't wake her up.

resolutions ... i've resolved to breastfeed Willow any way i can. i'm starting pumping tomorrow, i never did stop leaking a little bit each day so i'm hoping i can get things started again. even if she refuses the breast, EBM in a bottle is a helluva lot better than formula, especially the stinky stuff she has to eat for her GERD. i'm going down to absolute minimum on my meds, gradually. hopefully by next week i'll be pumping something! then she can have whatever i pump between 8pm and midnight, that's when she'll get the lowest dose of my meds. wish me luck!

my kidney infection isn't going anywhere, i have a doc appt. Tuesday so hopefully i can get things figured out. i also threw out my back, i have this weird "nesting instinct" just like when i was pregnant! moving heavy stuff and cleaning a lot. if i don't do it, it doesn't get done, and i got sick of the obstacle course of crap my husband leaves around. it's so nice to have a "new" house for the new year!

treehugger.gif Willow (6) says: "Mother Earth is the mother of all mothers"

angel1.gif Phoenix (6/2011) ♥      print-n-color mandalas >photosmile3.gif

Old 01-02-2005, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Meli that's awesome!! I wish you the very best of luck...I know that the formula thing has been sitting bad with you from the start! That's so exciting, I can't wait to hear your progress Sounds like you had a very nice New Years eve, hehe.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Meli, you rock!!! We're here to support you! I pumped for my dd, I know how challenging it can be....you're a great mama!

New Year's...we had some champagne, and watched The Two Towers...we were hoping to DTD - we haven't yet - but ds stayed up till 2am. Oh well!

My resolutions are:
To get in shape and get rid of my big belly. It's disproportianately large. My legs and bum are smallish, and then I have all this chub on my tummy, ugh!!!
To learn to sew better
To be a more patient Mommy to dd

More late, ILs are coming over and we need to "hide the mess."
Old 01-03-2005, 02:38 AM

Hey ladies, Happy New Year!
Well my mom was in town for a week and just left on Saturday, so we didn't really do anything special New Year's Eve. New Years day dh and I had some unexpected "together" time while both boys were napping.

I got my IUD put in last week and that was weird. I think I'm used to it now though. The appt. was fun - all the ladies in the office played with Zander while I was w/ the midwife. A really cool nurse held my hand really tight during the procedure. I was feelin' the female love, it was nice.

Zander had his little 2 month check up at 10 wks and weighed 16 lbs, 10 oz :LOL He's been sort of laughing but not fully, so we spend a lot of time trying to make him laugh.

The boys had a great Christmas, well Logan was really excited about it. His behavior has been improving a lot. He's still kind of mischevious, but at least he's not screaming in anger all the time. He's still very protective of the baby.

I didn't really make any resolutions, but as always I try to be a good mom each day and take care of myself. I've still got some tummy left too. It seems like the 2nd time around it's taking longer to get rid of. Oh well.

I have so much I want to talk about, I wish I could hang out with you ladies in person.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

Old 01-03-2005, 03:52 AM

i think my boobies heard me make my resolution! i never did stop leaking, so the last 2 days i'd been expressing milk a bit here and there ... i decided to try Willow nursing after i took a hot shower, and the let-down started really fast! not much quantity, but i know every drop helps. this kid has never had nipple confusion, i think she just likes to drink wherever she can drink from. she got frustrated at my lack of flow so i kept switching between the formula bottle and back to my breast, that kept her happy. it's so great that i can nurse in the cradle hold now that she's big enough! i think my best bet for now is to pump as much as i can and give her that by bottle before any formula, but also nursing for comfort before pumping because she got it started better than any pump could the first time she got mamamilk tonight she got the most surprised look on her face, it was adorable! later on when i pumped i got more milk, i just finger fed it to her and she slurped it up.

we all have some kind of cold/flu thingy. poor baby is so stuffed up, i keep taking her in the bathroom with the hot shower running and then sucking out tons of boogers. saline drops help too. it's scary at night, i sleep with my hand on her chest so i can wake up and aspirate her nose when she has problems breathing. when do they start breathing through their mouth?

Old 01-03-2005, 11:22 AM

Happy New Year everyone!! Things are going pretty well here. The problem I mentioned before seems to have cleared up now. DH was glad I caught him and more than happy to return to his sober self, thank goodness. He says it was pretty easy this time. I'm still keeping an eye on him, but I think he is going to be ok. Lily is the light of my life! She smiles ALL the time, and is just such a good content baby. Sometimes I forget she is here, I put her down and she just entertains herself for a little while. Her 2 month checkup is tomorrow, I think she is about 13 lbs (Court I can't believe how big Zander is!!!).

Meli, good luck with the pumping!!! As for mouth breathing...I think babies are pretty much obligant mouth breathers through most of the first year.

Still got a good amount of baby weight left here too, but I blame it fully on the holidays...if you only saw how much junk I ate!! Between all the baking DS and I did and what everyone else did...oy! I'm getting serious now! Hopefully I can drop these last 20lbs in the next month or two.

Resolutions...I have got to get organized and keep the house clean. DH and I already cleaned out the garage on Sat so we can have a yard sale soon. ALso, want to find more to do with DS and be a bit better of a mommy, I think Lily has stolen so much of my attention from him.

Gotta run, DS is being especially cuddly and I"m afraid he might have a temp!!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 01-03-2005, 01:59 PM

Anyone else find their to do list is huge right now? Ug. That means I should get off the computer and get stuff done, but hey...who wants to?
Dd has been talkative this morning, I love it!
Old 01-03-2005, 03:04 PM

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Had a very nice New Year's Eve. Had friends over for nachos (our traditional New Year's Eve meal) and we also played a couple of rounds of Cranium. Drank some champagne and had delicious chocolate cake for dessert. We decided to let Alias stay up as late as he could manage, we even coaxed him into a nap earlier as perparation, but he conked out at 11pm. Harrison however managed to stay up 'till just past midnight and stay in a pretty good mood .

New Year's resolutions... I am resolving to get back to being organized. Before Harrison I had a good solid routine that had a nutritious dinner on the table almost every night, a tidy home and some semblance of sanity. I want to get that back by the beginning of the summer. Also I am resolving to be more confident and powerful. I want to be a better role model for my boys. I tend to be all tongue tied and flustered when it comes to confrontation. I want to show my kids that it's okay to stand up for yourself and how to do it in a healthy, respectful way.

Amy - I am so happy to read that your Dh is back on track. It sounded like things were getting pretty stressful there for a bit. Obviously, you handled the whole thing beautifully.

melli - I wish you all the best in making your New Year's resolution a reality. You are one very dedicated mom. Willow is a very lucky little girl.

Thia - My to do list... :

And I wanted to thank all of you for being a part of my spectacular 2004. Sharing the ups and downs of pregnancy and the early months of double mommyhood with all of you has been so wonderful. You women have been such a great source of support and stregnth. Thank you.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:11 PM

Oh yeah... And I am also resolving to reach 1000 posts by the end of the year. I really want senior member status :LOL
Old 01-03-2005, 08:25 PM

OK, this may seem cruel given the difficulties some of you are having getting baby to take a bottle (I was there with DS...he hardly ever took one so I feel your pain) but I have to share this funny story!!!

I've only given DD a bottle once, a few weeks ago. No problems. So today I finally remembered to pump again so DH could try it. Well, she wouldn't take it from him....only from ME!!! He was holding her and she was upset, so I took her and started her with the bottle, then handed her back over to him. If I walked away, she'd cry and wouldn't take it!! As soon as I walked back she'd start again. So I wound up holding her and giving it to her. It's like, the only place milk is supposed to come from is mommy, and I don't care how it is given to me as long as it is from her :LOL. Isn't that strange????

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
Old 01-04-2005, 01:19 AM

We were in Disney for the new year ... with friends of ours at the beach at one of the Disney resorts watching fireworks. Noah was all snuggled in the pouch, Ethan had napped in the afternoon for preparation for staying up late, but he was still pooped. We got our first official chuckle out of Noah on New Years Eve too.

Bummer about the trip was that I lost my fleece pouch *sob*. I've already ordered a new one, but I'm still heckling the Disney people to keep an eye out for it. The thing is that I seriously doubt it was *taken* ... so I have a gut feeling that it's sitting in their lost and found room and will rot there b/c no one can figure out what I'm trying to describe to them. I also ordered an awesome ring sling from Taylor Made Treasures ... I borrowed her organic mesh sling for the trip b/c I thought it might be too warm for the pouch, and b/c I wanted to be able to nurse on the go (I hate adjusting the snaps to nurse in the pouch, that's the only thing I don't like about the KKAFP) ... well, I loved it, but I missed the stretchiness of the pouch, so when I got home she suggested I try the same brand, but a thermal mesh fabric. OMG it is amazingly comfortable. So now I'm doing the happy dance waiting for my new slings to come in the mail! Yay!

All of your resolutions are so inspiring ... Mirthful, I really like your thoughts about being a good role model like you mentioned. I too suck at confrontation, and would like to be more clear about expressing my needs and standing my ground at times. I didn't make any official resoluations, but right now I'm putting a lot of effort into being more thoughtful about my parenting w/ Ethan. I'm trying very hard to be loving and consistent, but firm when necessary, while still being very respectful.

You guys talked me into trying the baby soft wraps. I really like the construction (esp. w/ mr. chunker thighs here!), but he peed through it the first time I put it on. I'm going to give it another try. I think I must have a super duper heavy wetter. At night, he goes through at least 2 triple stuffed fuzzibunz (a total of 9 layers of hemp french terry!), and I usually put an Aristocrat over them. I'm so sick of waking up w/ wet sheets. I finally pulled some wool that I had felted and was planning on making covers out of ... I'm going to lanolize that, and put a blanket of it and have Noah sleep on that for now on. I hate washing my sheets of often. I tried of of the fleece/PUL sheets from Mother of Eden, but it made the two of us sweat so much. Ick.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:01 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

We've been out of town the last two weeks and have only had sporadic access to the internet (not to mention modern conveniences like cell phones!). It's amazing how remote some areas of Kansas can feel like. I actually downloaded about 6 pages of the December thread to read offline.

Amy - glad to hear that your DH is back in the program - my thoughts are with you as you work through this issue. Our family is going through something similar with my aunt who is again abusing prescription drugs - we're a bit at a loss of what to do since she won't admit she has a problem.

Resolutions - haven't made anything formal although losing weight would certainly appear on any list I would make. While I am back in my pre-pregnancy clothes and at my pre-pregnancy weight, it's still too much.

Kennedy is just amazing. Add her to the rolling over club. She surprised us over the holiday by rolling over from her tummy to back. She does it all the time now when we put her on her tummy - it's fantastic. She's also a bundle of smiles and coos. She 'talks' to us all the time - it's such a joy. Kennedy is smaller than some of yours - I imagine she's around 10 pounds; we'll know for sure when we weigh her at my mom's group on Wed.

Hope you all survived the holidays. For those of you who are feeling blue - please know that you are fabulous strong women and this too will pass (especially you, Piglet - I have so much admiration for your strength and abilities).
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 AM

Hooray we actually got our Christmas decorations down and back into storage tonight. A satisfying tick on my to do list.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:38 AM

the belly ... oof, it's not going anywhere. i'm still having a lot of pain behind and above my incision, i heard from the women on the cesarean support thread that the pain can last up to a year! *eek* so i try to do ab crunches and it just ends up hurting. the cats like it though, i can't get them off my belly, it makes a nice pillow i guess :LOL

Willow still has a cold, no fever, but she's been sleeping a LOT and only eating half what she normally eats. she has a dr. appt. today. well, at least we have another excuse to delay vax, they won't give them to a sick baby! i'm only getting perhaps less than an ounce of EBM right now but every little drop helps, i hope. i remember reading about moms who give everybody in the house breastmilk when they have a cold!

Old 01-04-2005, 11:00 AM

baby soft wraps Reed is in the Large super soakers for regular wear, and then I add a quick dry for long car rides, and overnight.

Resolutions~
Run more
Post less
Old 01-04-2005, 11:11 AM

Hey don't stop posting momadance !!

I have to second or third the baby soft wraps....thanks so much for introducing them Piglet!!! I love them and need to get more. I just wish she was going to have some light-colored solids sometime soon (she has darks coming) bc DD has a fair amount of light clothes I don't want prints to show through (remember it's hot here so everything is still thin!).

BTW luckily DS wasn't sick yesterday. We have DD's Dr appt today, I'm telling her no vax for now. I don't think she has a big problem with it. I haven't decided when I should start them, I'll have to visit the vax board I guess to find out more details.

I hope everyone who was previously feeling down is starting to feel better now!

Old 01-04-2005, 01:35 PM

nak

happy new year!!!!!!!!! hope everyone had a great christmas and that all is well. we went to PA for christmas and ella met her grandparents for the first time (dh's parents). while we were there she started batting at things with her hands, like the toys on her car seat. she also started liking stuffed animals, her grandma gave her a stuffed lamb and she 'talks' to it. it's so cute. no rolling yet though. she does look like she is trying to sit up a little. shedoes little crunches when she's not sitting totally upright, and then stops when I put her more upright.

Well, we finally did the deed. It was great but kinda weird 'cause we were at his mom's house but now I really want to get on birth control but I have no idea what kind. definately not hormonal stuff. court was it you that got the iud? do you like it?

meli you are so awesome!

resolutions: I really gotta get my house in order! Dh and i have never been very good at housekeeping, and now that it's all on me it's really bad. not to mention that dh seems to think that since I'm a sahm that EVERY little chore is my job. including..well, everything!! and then from the comfort of the couch he has the nerve to tell me I'm doing xyz wrong, that I should do it abc way. so my other resolution is to figure out how to get him off his lazy a$$.
weight loss: I'm the right size now, but totally outta shape. I went on a walk around the (really hilly) neighborhood and the next day I was sore. That got me motivated to get back in shape. I think Ella's big enough for a mei tai now so I'm going to try and start hiking again. It's been waaay too long since I've been inthe woods.

Quote:
Also I am resolving to be more confident and powerful. I want to be a better role model for my boys. I tend to be all tongue tied and flustered when it comes to confrontation. I want to show my kids that it's okay to stand up for yourself and how to do it in a healthy, respectful way.
ditto mirthful! well said

ok, off to start the never ending laundry. have a great day ya'll!!!!
Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM

Hi Ashlee- yeah I got the IUD (Mirena). It does release small amounts of the hormone, progestin (can never spell that word) into your uterus. It pretty much stays out of your blood stream so you don't feel any hormonal effects. I was really sensitive to BC pills, and I don't feel anything now. The first week it was in, I felt mildly crampy, but I don't feel anything now. It's a great feeling for me to know that I'm safe for 5 yrs and I don't have to do anything. We did the NFP thing before Zander was born, but that's a lot of thinkin' involved and will power for the days that you're fertile. A little short string hangs out of the cervix that your supposed to check periodically - dh says he can't feel in during the deed, so that's good.

Anyways, gotta go cook for Logan.

Mom to two boys, 7 and 10.  Expecting 3rd boy any day now with DH (his first).

Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 PM

Hi All
Happy New Year. I hope that this year is less.... exciting.. than the last!! for us at least

We had a flooded basement for Christmas, due to contractor error.. and are still dealing with trying to get it fixed.. But otherwise our holidays were pretty good.

We are dealing with a terrible diaper rash here.. I can't seem to get it to go away. It kept poor DD up last night..

Hope you are all well..

Chantal
Old 01-04-2005, 08:34 PM

hi mamas!

happy new year!

let's see...

our little guy will be 8 weeks old tomorrow!

he had his first cold too nothing major thank goodness. one evening he seemed to feel a bit icky then has had a couple days of boogers. he's almost all better now.

i go in on thursday to have my iud inserted. i'll be getting the mirena one this time too. i had the copperT for about 5 years before we were ready to conceive. i loved it (and had a miserable time with the many other methods we tried). the only thing that sucked was the insertion. so, one day soon after my appointment we'll DTD.

speaking of DTD, what kind of lube do you guys like? from our non-penetrative (hahaaha, nice word) play i know i am really dry these days, even after an orgasm, so i need to get some good slippery stuff, which also is the name of my favorite lube but stores don't sell it near me.

as for getting back in shape, i just started exercising again (not counting long walks) on the first. it feels good. i'm still eating like a sumo wrestler though. luckily the breastfeeding seems to be melting away the extra weight anyway. i think i'm only about 3 pounds above my prepreg weight, but everything is softer, much less muscle, more fat. kind of nice extra cushioning for the babe on my chest, belly, etc.

ok, i have to pee.
bye bye for now!

me dh ds1 (11/04) ds2 (7/10) and
Old 01-05-2005, 04:52 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that I finally posted some pictures of Oakley for you guys to see on the website! Now I just gotta catch up with the thread

ETA- reading the thread backwards and wanted to say I like Astroglide I need to by some new stuff but can't find it in town, anyone ever try the Trojan stuff, can't remember it's name exactly but I almost bought it today.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:21 AM

Happy New Year!!!!
Our New Years Party consisted of us sitting at home, drinking some relaxing ayurvedic tea as we tried calming our ever so fussy DD. OMG, this girl can cry up a thunderstorm! Does it have anything to do with her being a Scorpio?? My MIL was scared of her crying when we visited them over xmas.
We were both exhausted when midight came around and didn't even open a champagne bottle. However, we talked about plans for '05, what we wanted to do with our lives, etc. It's always real nice to talk with my DH, he makes great conversation, is always open and flexible.

I BF her several times a day, pump once to keep her used to the bottle. Sometimes my boobs don't seem enough for her, like tonight, and then I h=give her formula which she dislikes quite a bit.

One thing that concerned me a bit is that she smiles rarely, only a little bit after a lot of very silly coaxing. She is upset a lot and it takes effort to play with her. Hey, but she could roll from her belly to her back at 5 weeks, she seems very strong...
Any advice?

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:10 AM

aarrgghh! my husband was playing his computer game again and forgot to turn the heat back down (we have to trick the radiators into coming on sometimes) he was so into the game, he was 2 feet from a radiator and felt hot but didn't connect it with the fact that i'd asked him to please remember to turn it back down. baby and i are both sick with a cold, now we're double sick in an 80+ degree house. he said it's my fault too because i forgot. i "forgot" because i went to bed! and trusted him to do it. he also put off getting cat food because he was gaming and now there are 3 hungry cats crying, they wake the baby up when they cry. Willow is ok, just really stuffed up and dry. he knew we both needed sleep because she had such a hard day with the cold. but the game was yet again more important this is getting to be a pattern. he was gaming one day and forgot to change her diaper, i woke from a nap and she was completely soaked and miserable.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Nani -- I wouldn't worry. Some babies smile a lot and others less. We used to have to work to get a smile from DS but DD smiles a lot and early. As for not having enough milk....stop supplementing with formula! Our breasts work on a supply/demand system, and by letting your DD nurse more frequently/longer for a day or two, your supply will increase and she won't seem so hungry.

Old 01-05-2005, 02:42 PM

I started Evening Primrose Oil again to help with the PPD. It seems to be helping. I have been feeling a lot better this past week. Now that I'm in a better head space I can look back on the last month and I am really surprised at how bad the PPD had gotten. It was just so much easier to be miserable and sooo much work to be happy. But now that I'm more aware of what is happening and have finnaly acknowledged that I have PPD I am beginning to feel a lot better.

Also what is really helping the PPD is that Harrison hasn't had a reflux attack in 4 days!!! I really truly hope that it is all healed up. He's such a happy little baby when he's not refluxing. (Naps better too )

As for B/C... we're still planning to have Dh get a vasectomy. There's this constant nagging little voice that keeps saying that a vasectomy is a mistake. That we should have more children. But I think that that nagging little voice is some reproducing crazy part of my brain that probably should be ignored. I know in my heart of hearts that I would be a terrible mother to 3. I just don't have it in me to parent 3 children the way they deserve. I feel stretched thin sometimes with 2. I'd snap with 3.

Have to second Amie's lube recomendation for Astroglide .

melli -

Nani - I agree with truebluexf's post. Some babies are more easy going than others. Some babies are more people persons than others. Some babies are more ready to smile and play than others. Just know that your DD loves you very much and be there for her when she needs you. That's what is most important. And like trueblue wrote, nursing more often and for as long as DD wants to will up your milk supply so you won't have to use formula.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:45 PM

Chantald: Have you done some bare bottom time? Just let the tush air out?

Excersize: I would love to, I just never seem to find the time. I have pilates dvds and some weights collecting dust. I haven't even been taking walks b/c it is so cold. My hips really, really hurt and I need to do some excersize...but there are days I don't even get a shower!

Flitters: Can you find your fav lub online? Some people say olive oil works, I've never tried it.

Meli: do you have some vaporizors? We are running two, one in the main room and one in the bedroom. We find we don't have to turn the heat up as high.

My foot is asleep. Bah. I think dd might be getting better. Her poop is becoming more yellow and she isn't throwing up as much. I am very thankful! She still won't take a bottle. Last night she was screaming bloody murder when dh was trying to feed her. Eventually I had some success with the sippy cup. So, maybe we'll just skip bottles. I know "they" say three months is young for a cup, but if it works "they" can take a long jump off a short dock. "They" being the "professionals" who probably never had a child of their own. LOL.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 PM

Meli, I feel your pain a/b dh's and their games. Nice to feel second to a game, huh? : The way they act about it you'd think the world's food supply depended on them playing their games.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:24 PM

thanks truebluexf! yes, supplementing is not a good idea...plus she really hated what my dh calls "junkfood"
so what do you do? for example last night, she was hungry after I gave her a chance to snack anytime she needed, so she only finished one boob at a time and never filled her tummy I think. so at midnight she was screaming bloody murder and dh unthawed frozed bm and fed her, then she slept for 8 hrs! :
this kind of thing dwindels my frozen supply though...
also, she gave me BIG smiles this am when she woke up

my lactation consultant said that it's better to keep the last 10 lbs on to have a better milk supply...

mellybean, it sounds like you guys have to discuss responsibility issues. he will have to understand that if you're burned out and he doesn't help when you need it, you can't be a good mom or wife for that matter.

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)

User Tag List