June 2004 January thread!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liz, then my advice to you is to travel as light as you think you can get away with. Take the taxis, don't take your stroller (mush on the ground and lots of people knees don't sound like fun to me.) Buy some 'sposies when you get there. BFing and cosleeping have made travelling so much easier for us. And honestly every time I stretch my comfort zone with R daily life seems that much easier.

We're about to go to our second swim lesson, but I'm going to need to wake R up to go. Don't you hate when they are finally asleep and you have to go somewhere?
#302 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama
They are predicting 20-30" for us in New England!
Good Luck Erin! They keep going back and forth as to whether or not we are going to get hit. We now have a warning in effect until tomorrow at noon. That means we'll probably get slammed tomorrow at 12:30 I have an odd feeling that we are going to get hit big time though. My older two at at grandmas because they had a sleepover last night and I'm starting to get that "get the kids and hunker down" feeling. It probably doesn't help that it's -6 but w/ windchill it's -26 today.

Liz- I'd say STAY away from the north it's to damn cold up here!
#303 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 12:52 PM

We are supposed to get ice and a little snow today. Nothing yet. DH just got home (from class...about four hours early)!
#304 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 PM

Rynna, Sandi and Erin, I'm a little southwest of you and so far we've got a good 1/2 inch of ice covering everything. According to the weather, we should've already had a few inches of snow. It was 10 degrees when we went to bed last night. Now it's up to 36! I would rather have snow because then dh could go get a bottle of wine and some Bailey's, but the roads are so icy that we can't get out. Good luck if you guys really get the worst of the storm!
#305 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 01:17 PM

It's snowing! And we are firmly and warmly ensconced down at the IL's. :LOL Mike went to the grocery store this morning, and he's back; SIL went out to find a sled for BeanBean and FIL went out and bought a snowblower! :LOL

I think MIL is summoning us to breakfast. I'm looking forward to a great day of knitting, picture taking, and Settlers.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#306 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Banned

Am I the only one in western but not coastal US? The map looks scary for New England but our forecast is 40-68 and mostly sunny over the next couple days. Same ol' brown Colorado winter. I really thought when we moved out here that we'd have snowy winters but it is more like California summers, only cold. Stay warm and hibernate! I love a good storm for staying inside and cuddling up and watching TV. (As long as the power doesn't go out. It is amazing how unfun a storm can get the minute the power is off).

Rynna-good luck! I was twin obsessed this last pregnancy and I have always been a person that didn't ever want twins! And he wasn't twins, of course. But it was still weird the way I was always thinking about them

Liz-if I was a baby in a tile home, I'd probably scoot instead of crawling too! I say go have some fun and give the il's the slip. Your kids and yourself don't need that kind of crap, family or no.

My birthday was yesterday. We went to the park, played frisbee, then had pizza. It wasn't the most awesome birthday ever, but it was a really nice family time with lots of laughing and playing and the kids feeling better.

Gotta go, Ro is calling me...
#307 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 02:00 PM

Happy Birthday, Julie! : Wow. I imagine Colorado winters as being snowy and white for months on end! You are so right about the power going out. That so ruins the fun of a storm.

Well, it's getting so warm here that the ice is melting off the roads and the plow just came by and scraped and cindered. That means that dh got to go out and get that wine and Bailey's! So much for the 6-8 inces of snow we had in the forecast!
#308 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 02:09 PM

IT's starting here already and I'm sitting in my bathrobe nursing a baby. My dh had to take our dog to the vet and I was going to wait until he got back to go pick up my older two because I didn't want to bring the baby out in the brutal cold but it looks like I better get moving. I'm going to have one really ticke off baby in a few minutes.

Stay warm everyone!!
#309 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 04:48 PM

Okay - another milestone here! Killy stood unassisted today, without holding onto anything! I left him sitting in the living room and went to check my email, when I got back he'd pulled up to standing by holding onto his toybox. He was playing with a little toy boat that he was holding in one hand and then let go of the toybox to hold the boat with both hands. And, don't you know it, the camera card was full and I didn't get a picture! Oh, well... I wonder if he's going to be one of those babies that walks before he crawls (DH was). Although, he keeps trying and trying to crawl, and is still ending up just doing an army crawl and rolling everywhere he wants to go. Who know which will come first...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#310 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 04:55 PM

Wow Queenie!! Killy is a couple of weeks older than Lil but still...standing!!! I can't imagine it just yet!!

Snowing like CRAZY here. Just got my x-country skiis mounted....so I can venture out sometime tomorrow!

Stay warm and safe everyone!!

Julie ~ Happy Birthday!! CO winters are sounding pretty good right about now!

Liz ~ When are you supposed to be coming up this way??? I'd stay in FL!!!
#311 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 05:09 PM

Julie-Happy Birthday!

Well, we got some good snow and it is cold here too. Logan and dh are out shoveling the drive. I am once again feeling trapped at the house, oh well, at least I am with my family instead of watching other ppl's children by myself right now.

We are all sniffling over here. Joy. Other than that we are doing great. I wish we had a sled so that we could take Logan out sledding.

Liz-I would totally stay in FL too. My sil who lives in FL left for Dominican Republic today. I am so jealous. I went there in college and lived there for 3 months. Beautiful country....plus, it's warm!

QOC-with my 1st I would have been shocked and skeptical that anyone as young as our babes could stand unassisted. Gavin is breaking the mold for us. He stands himself up everywhere, has climbed a few steps with someone behind him...and any day I am sure we will catch him standing alone. It's weird. Cute, but weird. Kudos, to Killian for reaching another milestone! He sounds like he really will walk before he crawls
#312 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Lots of snow here today, but we made it to swim class and back. I was torn between going out and not, but its even better to snuggle in having been out in the muck.

QoC--congrats on Killy's stand!

Julie--happy belated birthday! :

We tried some O's this afternoon, they were a big hit. So many changes all at once!
#313 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 05:26 PM

This is how I found him: Killy standing up! (and then he let go of the toybox!)

Can I just share a total pet peeve / psycho rant? So, to be honest, Killy looks a lot like me in the face - I mean a lot! (Here's the proof!) At church, at the store, everywhere we go people comment on how much he looks like me. And yet, several people in DH's family keep bragging about how much he looks like DH! He has his coloring (green eyes and a better tan than me) and his size, but his face is a little clone of mine. Why do they have to deny it? Would it be _that_ awful to have a child that resembles me in the family? At Christmas a few members of DH's family said that Killy was starting to look more like me, but just yesterday someone in the family again raved about how much Killy resembles his dad. I guess on some level I'm just hurt that they don't want to acknowledge my part in Killy's life to the same extent as DH's, and the appearance seems to be just another way they can express that. For crying out loud, I showed my MIL a picture of me when I was about a year old and she thought it was Killy - she couldn't tell the difference (except that at a year I still had significantly less hair than Killy does now, the picture just didn't highlight that aspect very much). Am I just nuts to let a little thing like this bother me?

#314 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 08:49 PM
Banned

not at all. It has always bothered me that everyone in dh's family claims Tain looks so much like him. If you look at pics of us both as babies, he doesn't really resemble either of us very much. It totally feels like a denial of my part in his life, not to mention half of his genes are mine! We didn't take pics at his birth so all I have is ones FIL took when they got there-I think there is ONE of me. My dh's grandpa firmly believes that they are redheads b/c of him. Forget the fact that THEIR MOTHER is a redhead. It must be the 3rd generation back instead. As far as the looking like thing goes, I have come to realize that it is so easy for my IL's to see the baby dh was in my boys. They see facial expressions and the way their hands move, the things they laugh at, and it is easier for them to remember dh doing the exact same things and so they "look like him". I try to imagine what I will think when my boys have children and I think I will probably see so much of them in their children, regardless of what they look like. So I try to be patient. Of course, it is much easier to rationalize when the IL's are two states away! Too many of those comments still get on my nerves.

Thanks for all the congrats (both for my birthday and my home! )

My friend and I were talking yesterday and I told her I would be so relieved when I finally got my period and knew for sure I wasn't pregnant. My body must have overheard b/c I got it today. I feel freakish that I am so happy to have a monthly guarantee I am not pregnant. Not having a period was pretty nerve-wracking.

Ro is crying, got to go...
#315 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
...his face is a little clone of mine. Why do they have to deny it? Would it be _that_ awful to have a child that resembles me in the family? At Christmas a few members of DH's family said that Killy was starting to look more like me, but just yesterday someone in the family again raved about how much Killy resembles his dad. I guess on some level I'm just hurt that they don't want to acknowledge my part in Killy's life to the same extent as DH's...
Are they denying that he looks like you or acknowledging that he resembles your husband? The two aren't necessarily one and the same. As someone who's been part of a father's family, I have to tell you that the father's family (whether or not it's conscious) is in a position where they feel a need to find resembalences between the child and the father or other members of the (father's) family. It's an evolutionary thing, really, and it probably has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the fact that they need to be able to say "yes, this child is indeed our flesh and blood, he's carrying our genes into the next generation." I'm not trying to cast aspersions on your character at all, but from a purely evolutionary standpoint this makes sense.

BeanBean looks a lot like me, and a heck of a lot like my family members. He's a good mix between me and Mike, but if you looked at both of our families and had to say which he belonged to, you'd put him in mine. Even so, his family constantly raved about how much he looked like Mike. I totally understood. It's not an issue at all with BooBah; noone even pretends she looks like me anymore. My mother said it looks like I kidnapped an Amish baby off the back of a buggy. :LOL She looks more like her great grandmothers than she does like anyone in my family. She looks more like second and third cousins on that side!

An interesting fact: Did you know that at 12 months, 85% of children's photographs can be matched with their fathers, but only 25% can be matched with their mothers? Babies are supposed to look like their fathers, so that the men and their families will want to support them.

Just wait until Killy grows up and has kids of his own. You'll work out ways to say that those babies look like someone in your family, even if they are clones of their mother.

#316 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned

oh, I can't believe I forgot to say how exciting it is that Killy is standing!!!! What I big boy! He is so pretty...
#317 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It can't be considered "giving your wife a break" if she still has to chase after the kids, take things out of the baby's mouth, pick up things that they knock over, and change diapers while you sit on the couch and watch TV!

I don't think my dh is the only one who has a very different idea about what a "break" is. I hear it's sort of a guy thing - they come home and say, "Here honey, why don't you take a break while I watch the kids" and their wife still has to do everything, or else let the kids choke on things, cry, and sit in wet diapers.

OK I'm done.
#318 of 454 Old 01-22-2005, 08:56 PM

Oh! Happy birthday, Julie!

It's exciting to watch the kids stand up, isn't it? Terrifying, but exciting. :LOL

I took some really cute pictures of BeanBean in the snow, which I will upload sometime tonight, unless Mike wants to drive home. We've only got about 5 inches down here, and it's not snowing right now. Mike says it's supposed to snow more tonight, and it's probably snowed more at home. We'll need to dig out a parking spot for sure, because our neighbors are very inconsiderate that way. Not one of them has small children who have to be carried, but the frequently take the parking spot closest to our apartment. It's so freaking rude! And last year, while I was pregnant and had to carry BeanBean in, it snowed and they all dug their cars out and put the snow in our parking spot. I don't think it's deliberate, I think they just didn't think about it. Still, it's irritating. :

#319 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Are they denying that he looks like you or acknowledging that he resembles your husband? The two aren't necessarily one and the same. As someone who's been part of a father's family, I have to tell you that the father's family (whether or not it's conscious) is in a position where they feel a need to find resembalences between the child and the father or other members of the (father's) family. It's an evolutionary thing, really, and it probably has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the fact that they need to be able to say "yes, this child is indeed our flesh and blood, he's carrying our genes into the next generation." I'm not trying to cast aspersions on your character at all, but from a purely evolutionary standpoint this makes sense.
Actually, a few of them do deny that he looks like me. One family member will say, "He looks so much like you!" to me and then DH's grandmother will pipe up and say, "No, he looks just like his daddy! I could tell from the ultrasound pictures that he looked just like David!" Because I'm sure there was a huge resemblance in the 17 week ultrasound where you could see only his bones! Ah, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
An interesting fact: Did you know that at 12 months, 85% of children's photographs can be matched with their fathers, but only 25% can be matched with their mothers? Babies are supposed to look like their fathers, so that the men and their families will want to support them.
The whole evolutionary reasoning behind the look-like-dad phenomenon is interesting. I studied that concept pretty thouroughly in several of my classes in college - I have a BS in Biology and my focus was on ecology and evolution. It totally makes sense... unless you're in a society with "walking marriage!" (societies that are matriarchial and women's children are raised by them and their brothers - they just "walk" over to their romantic partner's family home when they want to get it on!)

(Okay, I feel like a total geek for sharing that little fun-fact...)

Julie - thanks for commisurating! I'm glad I'm not the only person in the world that is bothered by this! And, Happy Birthday to you - I'm glad you had a nice day!

Killy ate a whole banana while I was at work tonight! I worked a special event at the museum, so Killy and DH got some bonding time. This baby has an enormous appetite - he nursed for a long time as soon as I got home, too!

Tomorrow I have to go to BRU to try to find baby-gates. I tried to find some I liked at Walmart and at Target tonight, but no luck... Killy has me nervous with the standing up, so I think its time. We actually have four flights of stairs in our house, but only 2 are accesable to Killy and of course I want matching gates! It seems like all the stores around here have exactly one of each gate I like - so frustrating!

#320 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Wow! Standing babies... look out!! ( is it wrong that I'm happy Caitlins still mastering the art of rolling over? )

I noticed a while ago that my post natal hair loss had slowed down... well NOW I've got a whole bunch of hairs that are about 1 inch long all over my head, and I look like I have bangs that I cut too short. The ones on the top of my head poke straight up. We took pictures, but they're still in the camera.

Caitlins been trying to whistle. She put her lips in just the right position, but she hasn't figured out to blow air through her lips to make the sound... she uses her voice instead!!!

People say Caitlin looks like me... or sometimes my mom (thats usually the people at moms work, and only when Caitlin makes a pouty face!) That got to me with Roland though... he looked soooo much like his dad... I had nothing to do with it. Especially MIL... it was like she was relieved there was a resemblance... as if she had doubted DH's involvement...

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#321 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

I am, in fact, staying in FL. While I would really enjoy the weather if I still lived there, visiting without your own space and plenty of clothes/supplies/etc is not going to be a barrel of laughs. I plan to be there in late Feb anyway since dd wants to go to winter camp in NH. So that gives me some more time to plan and get clothes for ds, etc. It also occurred to me that if this weather keeps up I might be spending this "vacation" in an airport and I don't much care for that idea either. I would have been staying at the Plaza with dh, who is working there this week, but even that would get old if I never got there or got to go outside. People are saying it hurts to breathe or open your eyes.

Dd's birthday was today!! She turned eleven! She had a nice day, though mostly it was spent getting the house ready for her party tomorrow. In laws came for dinner and left, and our neighbor's birthday is also today so we dropped by there and had some of their cake and they had gifts for k too. Tomorrow I have to find pizza, bake the cake, and put up some minor decorations before the people arrive and then the wild animal show arrives. It should be cool but I am really relieved now not to be travelling later in the week. I think I would actually really thrive on being too busy but this week it would be a bad idea. And I just can't make the money stretch indefinitely, and I'd rather dd get to go to winter camp for a week. It's a Waldorf camp and looks wonderful and if she wants to go I want her to be able to. We're planning on moving back to NY this year anyway so I will see my Greek friend next year and have plenty of winter blizzards, hopefully. And the weather is apparently SO bad most of my friends now want to come here!

I read an article about how people seem to be biologically programmed to find resemblances to the father in babies, esp newborns. Theory is that there is always some question as to paternity and as a communal-type species we have a need to establish paternity beyond doubt, so we find and exaggerate infants' resemblance to their fathers. I was talking about this with a friend and then everyone we saw that day said "the baby looks just like Bob!" and in private she said I must be right, because the baby still looked white and Bob is black!
#322 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Banned

I don't know about the father thing. I mean, my family looks for ways the children look like me. I think it doesn't matter what side of the family you are on, you want the baby to look like your side. If it was so biological, Matt would make a point of finding ways the babies look like him and he couldn't care less. We both think they are the generic H. (our last name) clones: in his family, the kids don't really look like either parent but look exactly like each other. His dad has 3 brothers and all 4 look like they could be twins. (Matt's dad had a beard until Matt was about 8. When he shaved it off, both Matt and his sister thought their uncle had come to visit) The same goes for all the cousins, they don't look like the brothers or their wives but they could all be twins within their immediate family. So we call them H. clones. It tends to run same sex, though. Those with families of mixed sexes, the boys all look alike and the girls look alike, but they don't necessarily look the same. Anyway, that is totally off topic. We COULD tell from the u/s (the doctor did a 15 second 3D) that Ro looked exactly like Tain. It was crazy. And true once he was born. It's pretty obvious on his side that they all look like that and pretty obvious on my side that, while there is a resemblance, we don't look very much like each other.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether it is biological or not. It still sucks when someone denies the mother's part in her child. I think it is worse for us ap mamas-we work SO hard and we sacrifice so much, we need that validation that others' see how much we put into our children. I need recognition.

Well, Tain wants macaroni for breakfast-hey, if he'll eat in the morning, I don't care what it is!

Have a great day, let us know when your storms are over!
#323 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Speaking of ultrasounds, when I was pregnant with Roland, I insisted that Kevin be allowed in the room with me for the whole thing. They were a bit nasty about it & she made him sit on a chair in the furthest corner. He was commanded not to speak while she did the measurments. I think they get alot of "What are you doing now? Is that normal" type questions when they let the dad in. Kevin was leaning way forward in the chair (he nearly fell off it) and gazing at the screen, then he blurted out "Look! It's got my knees!!!" and we got in trouble for laughing (I think the tech thought it was a bit funny, though)

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#324 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 01:32 PM

There's a LOT of snow on the ground here. I'm finding I need to go out so I'm trying to decide if it is less effort to go get the train downtown (3 blocks away) and go to the big library (downtown should be really well shovelled) or trudge ~10 blocks through my neighborhood to the bookstore I want to go to.

Rynna, LOL on your parking spot issues. I'm not moving my car again until some of this melts. People are not particularly nasty about guarding their (on street) spots in my neighborhood but the snow reduces the number available with the expected consequences--shortages.

I get annoyed about the "she looks like" comments, because I feel like sometimes the people giving them are trying to give me this deep insight into my baby that I am obviously missing. : Obviously I need to relax. But people do say things about babies that just don't seem to have much thought behind them.

Liz, I'm excited to hear how your party goes.
#325 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether it is biological or not. It still sucks when someone denies the mother's part in her child. I think it is worse for us ap mamas-we work SO hard and we sacrifice so much, we need that validation that others' see how much we put into our children. I need recognition.
It doesn't really phase me that much, and I always thought it was *because* of the ap stuff. When I walk into a room, my babies reach for me, fly to me, they're so happy to see me. When noone else can do anything for them, all I have to do is stretch out my arms and they are quiet and happy once again. It doesn't really matter that BooBah doesn't look a thing like me; when I walk into a room with her, everyone knows she's mine.

For what it's worth, QoC, I think that Killy could indeed be a clone of you.

We're still at the IL's, and have some flurries coming down now. It is apparently bitterly cold outside; FIL is totally paranoid that Mike will have to get out of the car and walk somewhere and that he'll freeze to death. He put a pair of wool socks into the diaper bag, along with some gloves and a hat and a fleece scarf. :LOL He's kind of forgetting that Mike doesn't have a proper jacket, and thus it would likely be me who'd have to walk anywhere because Mike would, in fact, freeze. Well, maybe not. Maybe Mike could put on every single shirt that he has, and the "jacket" (a denim jacket which is a good two sizes too small and hasn't been button-able in the entire time I've known Mike), and wrap the fleece sling and the flannel sling around his body... I don't know. Let's just hope it doesn't come up at all.

#326 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 03:29 PM

Rynna, Sandi, Susan...anyone else getting socked with snow this weekend? How are ya all doing?

We're having fun. DH is relaxed because it's the weekend so he's not obsessing about work (for once - yay!! ). He's out shoveling again -- two feet already -- and it's still coming down!

I cancelled my playgroup for tomorrow so instead of cleaning my house I am watching a yoga video and attempting to do yoga (though Lily totally wants to nurse every 10 minutes). Right now I'm trying to rock her to sleep in her stroller but she's overtired and CRANKY!!! I'm not a real scheduled person (at ALL...which might explain why I'm always late ) but during the week I seem to be more in tune to when she needs to sleep/eat etc. than I am on the weekend when I'm distracted by DH!
#327 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 05:14 PM

We only ended up with 3 inches of snow, but it's only 15 degrees here with wind chills below zero! Dang, it's cold! The sun is shining brightly and it just looks beautiful outside though. I hope all of you Northeastern mamas are hanging in there!
#328 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 05:37 PM

We have survived the snow. We got about 14 inches! The girls really want to go out and play in it but we have wind chill warning in effect until midnight. Currently it's 6 degrees but -16 w/ wind chill. We need a frozen smile! :LOL I took my oldest to a birthday party this morning and the roads aren't too bad but the cold is horrible! It's suppose to warm up tomorrow and be in the mid to upper 20's all week. It's going to feel almost tropical!

I dryer died and I have a feeling we are going to be going dryer shopping today. UGH! I really don't want to leave the house! I'm hoping it can be fixed!

Hope everyone is staying warm!
#329 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 05:57 PM

Check out BooBah's new, super soft longies. I'm pleased with the way they turned out, especially the short rows in the back and the seam, which really concerned me while I was knitting. Definately adorable for her very first pair!

Now I just have to wash them and see if they take lanolin.

#330 of 454 Old 01-23-2005, 05:59 PM

Rynna- THose are beautiful!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page