June 2004 January thread!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebirthHarriett
We didn't need the thing... theres a perfectly good space in the TV stand for toys... he's just a whore for Ikea stuff
:LOL This totally made me think of Fight Club... :LOL

Still no period, but I'm really hoping to get one soon because this maybe business is freaking me out. I bought a test, but it's still too early I think. Mike and I talked about it last night, and as is his wont he was calm and reasonable and rational. "I agree that it's not the best timing, but if we're pregnant, we'll deal. We'll be okay." Ain't he sweet?

BeanBean is speaking very precisely this morning, almost like he's practicing diction. It's cute. I wonder what's up with it, though.

Liz-- Wow that's cool! :LOL Someone mentioned it in another thread here and I saw it and thought that it'd be absolutely brilliant as a nursing necklace, even for BeanBean who is technically too old to start using a nursing necklace. *Please* let me know what your SIL says!

Julie-- We don't have a bead store around here, just AC Moore and Michael's.

I think that the Sutemi is cute, but it looks complicated to me and I like carriers to be easy to deal with. Anything that requires an instruction manual will probably take me too much time to deal with. :LOL

Miss BooBah woke up this morning, yanked on my shirt until I rolled over, latched herself on and nursed, and then got up and crawled around me to play. When I finally gave up on sleep, I opened my eyes to find her happily munching on an envelope she'd found on the floor. :LOL I guess she needs more toys, though I am loathe to bring more stuff into this apartment, which is too small in the first place.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#362 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

saving the old jars is such a good idea-thanks! I think that solves my problem...

I did a quick search online for the beads, but didn't really come up with anything. I wonder if it would be bad form to email that maker on that site and ask where she gets hers...

The Sutemi is actually really easy (not like the hug a bub!) it's, in essence, a square with a tie at each corner. The bottom ties are shorter (I used webbing and a slide clip so I didn't have to tie it-much simpler and faster) and go around your waist. The upper ties are long and flip over your shoulders, cross your back and tie either around your baby's back or under their butt (if they are on your front). Voila! It is actually really easy to get Tain in on my back and very comfortable to carry him in-not a small feat since he is 34 lbs!!!

I wish Ro would learn how to sit from a lying down position. He lays down to move around, then fusses when he gets there b/c he's on his belly.

Anyone who is about a size large bordering on med have a ring sling? I bought 2 yds of fabric and now it doesn't look like it is enough. I am 5'5" and about 150 (I hope a little less but I haven't weighed myself in a good 2 months so I'll go with that). If anyone could measure how long theirs is and let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
#363 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
Anyone who is about a size large bordering on med have a ring sling? I bought 2 yds of fabric and now it doesn't look like it is enough. I am 5'5" and about 150 (I hope a little less but I haven't weighed myself in a good 2 months so I'll go with that). If anyone could measure how long theirs is and let me know, I'd really appreciate it.
My blue sling was from three yards of fabric; it's extra-large so that Mike can wear it, too. The tail, when I wear it, is abotu a foot and a half longer than my M/L Kissasling was. When I talked with Liessa about it, she said that on average she makes her slings with 2.5 yards of fabric.

#364 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:19 PM

I love my sutemi but am thinking of making an ABC carrier too, Julie did you use a pattern from the internet, and if so, which one? I ahve a bunch of them bookmarked.

I am freaking myself out about not having R eating like my mainstream friends. She loves to eat O's, and will eat little bitty avocado cubes, but that is about it. Intellectually I know she will eventually eat food, and that I'm on a different timetable than those who want to wean at a year, but some nagging inner voice is saying I'm holding her back from growing up. Wish I could tell that stupid voice to can it!

R pulled up on the coffee table the other day and is working hard on doing it again. She's learned to scoot upright on her butt too. I'm still deluding myself that we don't have to turn everything upside down to babyproof, but I did buy some outlet covers and drawer/cabinet locks and a gate for the kitchen. I *need* to work on the cords though, that's the part I know is going to be a problem...
#365 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Quote:
This totally made me think of Fight Club...
one of our favorite-favorite movies!!!

balancin ~ We're "way behind" on food too. I was at a party the other night and an 8 month old baby (3 weeks older than lil) was eating...cheese, ritz crackers, chicken-broccoli bread, banana cream pie!

I was like OMG...I haven't even given Lil otios (I've tried them since...she gagged and spit them out ).

I *know* that I am doing the right thing for us and that preserving our bf-ing relationship for as long as possible is my main goal but I too have that nagging feeling that by not offering her more foods I'm somehow going to scar her for life and she won't grow up to love food and eating as much as I do.

We do food every couple of days. Sometimes she's into it. Sometimes she couldn't care less. She seems to take it better from other people (mainly my mom...because she does the whole 'airplane thing' with each bite ).

Fussing baby on my back. Time for a new activity.

OMG - it's only 11:30....please NO MORE SNOW!!! I'm going
#366 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, slinging mamas will appreciate this...when the wild animal people arrived for the party I had Rowan in the mayawrap and they loved it! The husband said "wow, that's quite a fashionable carrier!" and the wife really liked it and wanted to know about them- they have twin monkeys whose mama didn't lactate. They get a babysitter for the monkeys when they go out (not often) and can't take them- they are never left alone. The woman said she puts the monkey on her hip and folds her shirt up around it and knots it on the other side. But of course her monkey is seven weeks, very small and a lot lighter than our babies. It was cool though. I was so pleased too that they are boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever.

And of course my thought was, "oh, no, they're giving those monkeys formula!! Wouldn't human milk be better for them!" I also thought of this magazine I saw years ago, I think it was mother earth news or mother jones or something, and the cover picture was a south american woman nursing her baby on one side and a monkey on the other!

HBH, I hope things get better soon. Sounds like your dh has cabin fever and you should send him to the bahamas for a few days. Or buy a vitamin d lamp.

A friend in nyc wants to move down here, god knows why, and he wonders why in gods name we want to move back there, so we might be onto something. His area is not completely unaffordable yet which means it will be very soon. Already bars are opening not too far from him which seems to be the first sign of impending gentrification. He said, "my neighborhood is getting like the Lower East Side used to be! Why didn't it do this ten years ago when I wanted to be here?!"

This whole not-sleeping thing is getting a bit alarming. I feel ok except for frustrated I can't get anything done, but I am afraid when I think of how little rest I'm getting and if people might be seeing me on the news. I mean, thinking you're ok is a sure sign you're crazy, right?
#367 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balancin1
I *need* to work on the cords though, that's the part I know is going to be a problem...

My brother did something to the cords for my mom's computers so that my niece couldn't get to them; they've got these ties that hold them onto the wall, and then the run up to the ceiling and around the room. I'll have to ask him where he found them.

#368 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Balancin, wait and see what your dd gets into before babyproofing. My dd never really bothered much; we moved precious book up but we even left the guitar on its stand and the cleansers under the sink. She got into stuff but was easily redirected.

A friend of mine "babyproofed" (not her first) by putting sharp plastic netting around the lower shelves and attaching it with thumbtacks!

Oh, I watched "Open Water" last night- shudders!
#369 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
:LOL This totally made me think of Fight Club... :LOL

I've never seen it :

Quote:
HBH, I hope things get better soon. Sounds like your dh has cabin fever and you should send him to the bahamas for a few days. Or buy a vitamin d lamp.
No way! If anyones going on a vacation, it'll be *me* (and the kids!) His family doctor supposedly said he doesn't have depression... but he's sure got all the symptoms!! He isn't going to push for help with it because he doesn't believe in mental illness

Well, it's 8:45am & I can hear Caitlin telling me her morning nap is over. The weather here has been better... getting out & about has been sooooooo nice! We've got long days to fill!!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#370 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 03:20 PM

Hey Rynna & Julie they are trying to do another preschoolian order.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=241769
#371 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, ladies. I am intrigued by the cord idea, and I'd really like *not* to have to babyproof the bookshelves. Literally every wall we have is floor to ceiling books--we might have to resort to screen and thumbtacks Actually I was thinking soft fiberglass screening held on with a frame that bungees around the back...

I just saw the thread about babies even older than ours not eating solids yet, that makes me feel so much better. Wow dharmama, that's a lot of really advanced food that baby was eating.

Liz, so funny about the monkeys and the slings! Sounds like the animal show was awesome, and the people who put it on were really nice.

I'm feeling the lack of sleep lately too, I think that's why I'm starting to spin on these worries of mine. I did get my big self out for a run this morning, exercise always makes me sleep better, and I think my insomnia affects the kid, which makes her wake up more often, which makes it harder for me to fall asleep, on and on in this negative loop...
#372 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 09:12 PM

In response to the whole baby eating solids discussion. Gavin seems less and less interested in any form of food outside of breastmilk. Unless, of course, he finds it on the kitchen or living room floor...then for some reason it's really appealling .

Gavin has been nursing so much I feel drained...literally. I am so hungry all the time too. Today I ate 1/2 a batch of brownies : Not good at all. I need to control myself, but it is hard when I am not putting any weight on right now. I am just not really losing any either. I know I am nursing a lot b/c last night I dreamt that this 6 wk. old lost her mother in a plane accident and I begged to adopt her so that I could nurse her. In my dream I was tandem nursing. Craziness!

Babyproofing Seems I can never do enough of it. Thankfully are house is mostly furnished with toys. Plus, I don't have much in the way of priceless crystals or such that he could break or get into. Just need to work on the plugs again.

HBH-by the way...I have never seen Fight Club either. Of course, I had not watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off until just a couple years ago. I know...I sound totally out of it. Well as my lovely son Logan would say "Whatevah"
#373 of 454 Old 01-26-2005, 10:05 PM

We own the Fight Club DVD and my DH has the book. We've watched it SO many times...LOVE the dialog. But now that we have it on DVD we skip the fight scenes...waaaaay to violent for this mama to stomach.

Speaking of movies...anyone been to one lately?

The last movie I saw was Meet the Fockers. My parents babysat and DH and I had a date. Very fun and the movie was cute...not as good as Meet the Parents but we weren't really expecting it to be.

I ended up having a full house today. School got out early because of the snow so my mother's helper called to see if she could come over! Then my friend who has 4 kiddos called to see if she could come sled on our hill. Her youngest is 3 1/2 weeks old so I got to snuggle a newborn!! It was so much fun! I've been working REALLY hard to get my house clean enough that I can have people over and I finally feel like I'm getting there!
#374 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Banned

the first sutemi style carrier I made was from a free website pattern. I hated it. The straps were too narrow, the carrier was too wide, and it was really tall (I then shortened it and it pulled on my shoulders). So I started from scratch. I measured Ro while he was on my hip from his knees to the top of his back to get an idea of how tall I wanted it and measured his knee spread while on my hip to find a comfortable width for him. So I made the bottom that width (I think it is around 12"-his was 10, but I thought that was too narrow for a bigger kid) and I made the carrier a little taller but have two strap settings so I can change it between Tain and Ro without it pulling my shoulders. I made the straps a little wider, I know there is a website that has super wide straps, but I have a hug-a-bub and I hate trying to keep something that wide flat and straight. I'll take pics and post them.

So I made my ring sling...I added a contrast fabric around the rings and on the bottom of the tail for a pocket and as a border and now the tail hangs down to my knees! So I guess I am going to take the fabric off the ring part . Sometimes I seriously wonder about my abilities as a seamstress!

Food is an interesting thing. I think if you follow your child's lead, everything will be fine. Tain didn't really eat solids until around 12 months and he loves variety and ecclectic foods. He isn't a big eater, but he never has been. Ro, OTOH, is a food whore. He'll beg anything off anyone, and even though he regularly gags and chokes on things like crackers, that doesn't seem to deter him from eating them. I warmed up the carrots tonight and he ate half a jar! What a pig! He has never been that much of a nurser. Tain was a champion nurser. I feel like having such opposite children helps me see that I didn't do anything wrong with Tain, he really wasn't interested and that I am not doing anything wrong with Ro now b/c he is.

Thanks for the preschoolian link!

Going to a movie...the last movie I saw was LOTR, Return of the King the Christmas before last. It was the first time Tain was really okay with someone else (IL's) for as long as a movie takes. Before that we had tried to watch a movie, Star Wars Phantom Menace I think when he was an infant but it was too loud for him. Not a big loss for me, I only saw a little bit of it but already it was sucking. You are really lucky to have someone that your baby feels comfortable with for that long and that you feel comfortable leaving your baby with! I can't even remember the last time dh and I went somewhere by ourselves. I don't really mind, we knew it would be like this before they were born and we were okay with it.
#375 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Banned

#376 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
hey mommas, let's see if I can post twice in one week

Rynna, I got BFPs at 10dpo with the First response, they're really sensitive. I would go crazy not knowing. Of course, in our house it would be a miraculous conception, seeing how we haven't even "christened" the new place yet. I did get the clothes off the extra bed last week but we've been to tired. it's so sad, we are just an old married couple unless we're TTC

Kieran has just this past week or so been interested in food. He's had some sucks on a piece of mushroom (my sister's idea), a bit of chicken, some apple/applesauce and beans. He loves chicken, got mad when I took it away, isn't sure about the applesauce (I think it might be too sour), and likes the beans, but they're a lot of work, I peel them with my teeth and much it in my fingers. We're still not really in "solid food" mode, and won't do any combinations for at least a few months and no dairy at all until a year and trying to avoid wheat until a year, too. So he'll be on the cave man diet and be eating better than any of us

Liz, that'd be great if you could find out what your friend did to get rid of the stones. I've found a bunch of info, mostly variations of the same, but it's always good to hear from someone who's actually done it.

Jules, those are gorgeous! I adore my Sutemi, mostly cause it's so cushy (very padded straps and waist belt) and I barely feel K on me even after several hours. It's so easy to use, I never unclip the shoulder straps anymore, just put them over my head. It's a bit of an octopus when it's off, I want to make a bag to keep it in.

OK, gotta go. I think I can get my work done tonight if Kieran doesn't wake up every hour again. Hope you're all having a great week!

Robin~ single, work-at-home momma to my WonderBoys
YoungMan (6/00) & LittleBoy (6/04)
#377 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 09:25 AM

julie ~ that's beautiful!!

i have been really into my kozy (abc) lately. i carry her on the front in it when we are out - because i need a couch or bed to get her on my back. she seems to be really comfortable and she often falls asleep in it!

i also have two hand-me-down frame backpacks. i keep one in the car and one in the house. they work great too but i only like to keep her in it for a short time because she's "hanging" in it instead of sitting.

Quote:
You are really lucky to have someone that your baby feels comfortable with for that long and that you feel comfortable leaving your baby with!
i know. we are so blessed. my entire extended family lives in our state...most people within 15-20 minutes away and they are all very sensitive to ap and bf-ing needs.

i think i'm going to venture out and go grocery shopping today (looong overdue) now that it has finally stopped snowing!

have a great day everyone!
#378 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Banned

Glad you are getting out today Erin!!

We have to go grocery shopping today too. Dh has been laid off for a month and we finally got his last unemployment check. Our fridge is so bleak! Not to mention we have no laundry soap, etc.

Okay, I took the corduroy off the ring part of the sling and now it hangs below my waist but above my knees. How long is the tail supposed to be anyway? I thought about shortening it some more but 1) I want Matt to be able to use it (even though it would be a pretty extreme situation before he would) and 2) the pocket is pretty large and I don't want to make it so short that the zipper is in the rings. I thought about making the pocket about half the length, but it was a pain to construct and I don't really want to take it apart and re-sew it. Not that any of this is remotely interesting...

As soon as Matt went back to work Ro got on an evening sleep schedule again. It was really weird. I was putting Tain to bed between 8:30-9 but that doesn't work when I am by myself so now both kids go to bed around 10 pm. I wonder when I am going to be able to put Tain to bed without me lying with him? Anyone have any idea how to do that or when it is reasonable to start? I think he could really benefit from an earlier bedtime but that is the earliest I can lie with him. Oh, and now Ro is getting up in the 7:00 hour. I am not very happy about it since I am the one who gets up with early risers, but oh well. At least it's consistent.

He's had his fill of me sitting here....
#379 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 12:06 PM

Dare I say it? I think Caitlin might be settling into a bit of a routine! The hast 2 nights she went to sleep at 7:30ish, and didn't wake up until 2:30!! Of course, at that point, she eats for a solid hour. It's 6:30 & she's still asleep (I'm expecting that she'll wake up any moment) Yesterday Roland woke her up when he got up He's just looking out for his little sister.... he doesn't want her to miss any of the action

Kevins psychologist appointment got cancelled. Luckily, I managed to get him to reschedule.... phew! I was sure he'd 'forget' to.

The night before last, Roland got a bloody nose!! It was scary... he was playing on the computer & he fell off the chair & did a face plant. I got the bleeding to stop, but then he wanted to pic I came up with the plan to tape socks over his hands, like I do with Caitlin so she won't scratch her eczema... but I didn't need to do that. He listened really well when I told him that it might start again if he picked. His ear is all bruised up, too. I've been thinking about learning towers ever since...

We've been talking home improvements again. I keep saying "Don't start anything else until the bathroom is done!!" We *still* don't have a sink in there. He had been planning on finishing it after he's done in school (March) He's going to take the rest of his parental leave before he goes back to work (not sure how I feel about that, but don't think I can do anything about it either) I think I've got him convinced to finish the bathroom on the weekends, so he can work on the power supply to the house in March. He wants the power to run into the garage, and then to the house... sounds important, huh? The garage was an add on shortly after the house was built (50 years ago) and the wire runs above the garage... apparently thats bad/dangerous according to todays standards. This is only an issue because he's an electrician & he wants to play.

We've got LLL Enrichment at 10 today. Theres a special meeting in the beginning of February, with a guest speaker who was my childbirth education teacher when I was pregnant with Roland!!! I've made arrangements with mom & Kevin so I can go. Mom is going to have Roland for a sleepover & Kevin is going to drive me & Caitlin there & then hang out at a coffee shop until we're done. I can drive, but only around my familiar area : I'm excited about going, though!

Oh boy... Roland has been playing in the sink while I've been typing here... I just realized he's been 'cleaning' spoons & putting them back in the drawer Oh well!

#380 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

We have floor-to-ceiling books too, and LPs, DVDs, electronics, art supplies, etc. I'm going to see how bad he is before I decide on babyproofing. K wrote in one or two books of mine but that was about it. She was pretty receptive to direction, as I wrote. My mother says she took me around the living room in the mornings when I was a toddler and let me hold all the breakable stuff and then asked me to put it back and I did and then I never bothered anything. I also knew how to be gentle with other people's stuff. I don't know how much of that was due to her routine or my temperament. But I do remember it. It was a really big deal to hold this fragile stuff and I was very pleased with myself. I suspect my son will delight more in the crash of things falling to the floor, but I could be wrong.

I am going to stop solid food altogether for a while. I suppose I'll still let him have Os- he really eats them now, no messing around. But he is not sleeping at all and I have to do something. I tried cereal with fruit mixed in earlier this week and his sleeping got worse! So hahahaha to all the people who say food makes them sleep. He can eat half or a whole small baby food jar of bananas, or sweet potatoes. I gave him a taste of peas the other day and that seems to have been a bad idea. His bum is sore. I think he also has a mild cold or something like that. But last night he wouldn't sleep *at all* unless he was in actual physical contact with me. And a few times he screamed out in his sleep and didn't even wake, poor baby. I don't know what's wrong with him. I think he is about to crawl. When sitting he goes forward now very confidently onto his hands and then belly and then pivots around. He even did it once on the tile floor yesterday without hurting himself! So I hope he will sleep again once he passes some milestone or other.

Re: having opposite children, I am so grateful my first was "easy." It makes dealing with a higher needs baby much easier. I know it's nothing I'm "doing," as Julie said, and I can be more adaptable to his needs than many first-time parents of high need babies seem able to be. In some ways it's hard- it would sure be nice if he slept as well as she did, took a bottle no problem, etc. But on the whole I find I am so much more patient with him than I was with her, and he seems to be the one who needs that more.
#381 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Food is an interesting thing. I think if you follow your child's lead, everything will be fine. Tain didn't really eat solids until around 12 months and he loves variety and ecclectic foods. He isn't a big eater, but he never has been. Ro, OTOH, is a food whore. He'll beg anything off anyone, and even though he regularly gags and chokes on things like crackers, that doesn't seem to deter him from eating them. I warmed up the carrots tonight and he ate half a jar! What a pig! He has never been that much of a nurser. Tain was a champion nurser. I feel like having such opposite children helps me see that I didn't do anything wrong with Tain, he really wasn't interested and that I am not doing anything wrong with Ro now b/c he is.
I could have written something very similar, except that BeanBean loved to eat but not very much at a time, and he had to when I lost my milk. BooBah doesn't eat a huge amount, either, but she wants to eat all the time. She loves putting the spoon in her mouth. :LOL I know she eats more than BeanBean did, and she's much more interested in food as a source of nutrition than he ever was (he used to taste things, roll them around on his tounge and spit them out. ) probably owing to the fact that she actually digests her food. I'm still fairly confident that she will wean before he does.

The last movie I saw was "Team America: World Police." Mike gave me $20 to get out of the house, and he stayed with BeanBean. I wore BooBah in the sling. She nursed twice and slept the rest of the time. It was cute, but it was kind of like a two hour long episode of South Park (big surprise, huh?). I could tell that it wouldn't be in theaters much longer, and lo and behold it was gone the following week. :LOL I liked, it, though; but I am irreverant and strange like that. :LOL

I don't feel pregnant today, but I still don't have my period... I got a BFN at 10dpo with BooBah, so today would be the absolute earliest I could test. I think I'll give it another week, though, because like I said I don't feel pregnant right now.. just slightly concerned. I wish I knew for sure, though. My discharge is ambiguous, to say the least.

Babyproofing-- we keep cleaners and stuff above the kitchen sink, and we keep our (three) glass cooking items in the higher kitchen cabinets, so BeanBean can climb in and out of the lower cabinets and play with anything he finds in there. That's pretty much it for us. We don't really have much that's dangerous or breakable, so we just ask him to avoid those things. For the most part, he does. Oh, we do have outlet covers and a fridge lock, too.

If I could do it (if I didn't live in an apartment) I'd drill another hole in the front door and put a deadbolt up high where BeanBean can't reach it. I hate the fact that he can open the front door with no effort at all! A doorknob cover won't work because the doorknob is old-fashioned and so big that the cover just makes it easier to open.

#382 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

These incredibly insane pospartum doula clients I had-long, long story- had every babyproofing gadget you can imagine...I couldn't get the toilet open to pee! And they carried a handgun everywhere (even shopping, even their csections) and were severely germaphobic and didn't want their 2yo touching his penis. There was much, much more but I think of them now whenever babyproofing comes up, and I have yet to find an item in the safetyfirst section at home depot these folks didn't have.
#383 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
And they carried a handgun everywhere (even shopping, even their csections) and were severely germaphobic and didn't want their 2yo touching his penis...I think of them now whenever babyproofing comes up, and I have yet to find an item in the safetyfirst section at home depot these folks didn't have.
: I like to mess with people like this. My FIL is similar, but he doesn't quite know enough about germs and the mechanics of illness and transmission to be paranoid about the right things, so he just uses those Clorox wipes on everything he can think of and freaks out if you mention sharing a towel, even with your own 2-year-old son. He even suggested that we use Clorox wipes on BeanBean's behind once when we ran out of baby wipes down there. :

Anyway, I'd totally have wanted to mess with their heads, telling them things like "Did you know that you're much more likely to kill a family member with that gun than an intruder?" and "Do you realize that every time you get into your car, you're putting yourself and your family at a greater risk than xyz?"

Of course, I can be mean sometimes. :

#384 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I was mean. I played on their snobbery. "I don't know much about them, but everyone in Park Slope has maclaren strollers these days-" they about knocked the salesman over to get to the most expensive maclaren they had- $300 for an umbrella stroller!

Gun stats wouldn't've helped; they were waaaay too deep for that. The other thing was they were so germaphobic but their house was the filthiest I have yet seen.
#385 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM

Poor kid(s). This is a great story though...
#386 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 06:39 PM

Wow Liz, those people sound a bit freaky!

Just wanted to pop in and say "hi". My dh left this morning for an 11 day work trip to California. He's so lucky. He flew into San Fran this morning. He's hanging out with a friend until Saturday. Saturday night he's going to a Supercross race. (That is work for him. He's managing editor of a couple of motorcycle racing mags.) Sunday, he and a couple other people are picking up some motorcycles and starting a trip to LA down the Pacific Coast Highway. They are taking about 5 days, so no long days of riding or anything. Then he goes to another race in Anaheim next Saturday, then home on Monday. It's going to be a long 11 days. Bedtime is not going to be fun or easy!
#387 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizD
Re: having opposite children, I am so grateful my first was "easy." It makes dealing with a higher needs baby much easier. I know it's nothing I'm "doing," as Julie said, and I can be more adaptable to his needs than many first-time parents of high need babies seem able to be. In some ways it's hard- it would sure be nice if he slept as well as she did, took a bottle no problem, etc. But on the whole I find I am so much more patient with him than I was with her, and he seems to be the one who needs that more.
I'd never thought of it that way before! Roland was a high need baby & I've always said I'm glad I had him first, because I could cater to his every whim. My grandma had her high need baby second & was always saying to me if she'd had her second first, she'd have been an only child! I guess theres benefits to having them in either order.

LLL was nice today.... very relaxed & fun.

#388 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Banned

I think as long as both of your kids aren't high need, you're okay. The "easier" child is usually willing to wait, whether it is the younger or the older.

Babyproofing-Tain was/is very destructive so we sort of babyproofed. Once he learned how to open DVD's we had to put them away or he would take them out of the cases and try his hardest to bend them in half or scratch them. He would tear pages out of books, I am still scared to leave him with a book, he's so unpredictable. He knows what he can't touch (like my iron and scissors) but that doesn't mean he always leaves them alone. He can take the outlet covers off. AND our outlets in the dining room are table height (lord knows why). I caught him yesterday trying to stick his fork in it. At least he only eats with plastic. He's a big experience learner so he doesn't believe our warnings, no matter how they are worded. He's a scary kid to have around. Our tools are under lock and key. Our cleaning supplies are on top of our fridge. Luckily our oven is old and gets pretty hot on the outside when it's on so he knows not to "cook" anything in it. He has burned himself on a friend's modern oven. Our bathroom cupboard has a child lock on it but our kitchen cabinets are metal and we rent so we keep our canned goods and tuperware in the bottom ones and anything breakable/dangerous up high. He's the type of kid that would put oatmeal in the VCR so that stuff is up high too. I am running out of high places-a big reason our apt looks so cluttered.

I am wondering if Tain isn't getting poor vision. He sits really close to the TV. Usually on the computer chair (which is right next to it) Since I am in it right now, he is standing really close to it instead of sitting on the pillow 5 ft away from it. I have bad vision, got glasses in second grade, Matt's is fine but his dad's is horrible. Tain has really light colored eyes. I wonder how long I have to wait to test him?

HBH-I can't believe they cancelled his appt! Glad you had a great time at LLL. I miss that.

Carrying a gun everywhere! With a small child! I can't believe some ppl feel protected like that. I would feel paranoid and scared, what if my child got a hold of it? If it is in a purse or something, all you have to do is have a curious toddler (which toddler isn't?) and a few seconds of inattention. *Shudder*

Rynna-OMG! Clorox wipes on a baby bum?! That's a little frightening. Germaphobes make me kind of sad. I have a friend whose mom was like that and she is like that too. As a child, she would play in the dirt at the edge, with only her fingertips. Meanwhile, I am in the middle stripped down to my skivvies eating it. I think I had a lot more fun. My immune system is a lot stronger than ppl who grew up with paranoid parents. I am a big advocate of childhood illness (not that I want my kids sick all the time, but it is better than chronic sickness as an adult). Maybe I am just overconfident in my breastmilk. Plus all I have to do is swim in a chlorinated pool for half an hour and I am sick, I can't imagine what it does to you to be exposed to that much bleach/toxic cleaners every day of your life.

We went to Whole Foods today and ate lunch. We gave Ro a teething biscuit (we can't eat a meal now unless he eats too) and he just about had an ecstatic fit! I thought he was going to try to inhale the thing! He is taking to foods well, sleeps the same, is less fussy. Doesn't seem to have any allergies. I am going to try to give him cereal in the morning and foods of various sorts at dinner. I told dh today I will be shocked if he hasn't self weaned before his 2nd birthday. I'd like to see him make it, but he just doesn't get much out of it besides nutrition and he'd rather eat than nurse. I guess I have to honor that, as foreign as it is for me.

Oh, this morning I shortened the pocket. I couldn't help myself. It wasn't as hard as I thought and the result is better looking (and shorter) than it was originally so I am glad I did it.
#389 of 454 Old 01-27-2005, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I am wondering if Tain isn't getting poor vision. He sits really close to the TV. Usually on the computer chair (which is right next to it) Since I am in it right now, he is standing really close to it instead of sitting on the pillow 5 ft away from it. I have bad vision, got glasses in second grade, Matt's is fine but his dad's is horrible. Tain has really light colored eyes. I wonder how long I have to wait to test him?
Julie- Lily will be getting her eyes checked just after her first birthday due to Lauren's eye condition. Maddie was tested at 2 1/2. Our eye doctor said that they can actually test newborns if necessary. FInd a good pediatric eye doctor. Ask around. The one we go to is the same one our family doctor takes his son to and who several of our friends whose kids have glasses take their kids to. Oddly enough Lauren's eye doctor also deals w/ the elderly. Anyway if you are concerned have him checked out.
#390 of 454 Old 01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Banned

I wonder if I could get glasses on him at this age...
We'd have to pay out of pocket for everything so I'm hesitant to do it if he wont wear them/break them. That is probably why my parents waited until I was older...
It was weird the way he was standing so close. I don't know. I'm not that concerned.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page