June 2004 January thread!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 454 Old 01-10-2005, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ladies - they're calling for another ice storm here! I don't know what I'll do if we loose power again...

All this talk about excema has made me research it a bit - and DH has it! He's had these patches of rough, dry, itchy skin on his thighs and lower back since college. He's darker-skinned and they're brown instead of red so I just never connected it. Now I'll have to try to figure out what type of elimination diet to put him on! One article I read said that corn and soy are the most common irritants, but soy doesn't bother him and there's very little corn in our diet, so I don't know...

We have another swim leasson tonight and I'm so excited! Here's the link to pictures of me and Killy in the pool at the hotel last week: Killy swimming (Oh, and please don't notice how much weight I've gained over the holidays! guess what my new years resolution is...)

Killy has my cold, which comes with really goopy eyes (mine were so gross last week - the only good thing about not having power was that DH didn't have to see them!). Not a usual cold symptom, but really severe with this cold. I'm finding that squirting bm in his eyes at each feeding is helping some, but I'm so ready for this part to be over. He hates to have his eyes wiped, but they're COVERED in bright yellow-green mucous every couple of hours. Its such a vanity thing, but he is a really beautiful child and I hate to see him all goopy and gross. He can't even open his eyes in the morning, they're so crusted over. Since they're not red or irritated, though, I'm not worried about eye infection. He also had diarhea twice this morning - which is really, really unusual for him. He's taking it all in stride fairly well, though, and is just a little fussy, so I shouldn't complain.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#122 of 454 Old 01-10-2005, 08:44 PM

BeanBean has an infected hangnail. He's two years old, so getting him to hold still to soak it is probably out of the question. If we had a bathtub, I'd stick him in it but I don't so I can't. I tried to get it out, but it's on his big toe and I couldn't get close; besides, he screamed the whole time. When I stopped he said "I need to go to daddy now!" and ran away from me. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't develop a fever or streaking around the site, because either of those will necessitate an emergency room visit (his first ever!) and I'm totally not up for the ER with two kids.

Miss BooBah has been super cute today. I can't believe she's six and a half months old. We're closer to her first birthday than her birth! : Amazing, it totally blows my mind.

For Christmas, my SIL gave me a soy candle. It smells lovely, and it's really cool looking, and such a nifty idea! I guess soy is like hemp, one of those unbelievably versatile plants. My only problem with it is that the wax melts so quickly! I feel like the candle will be gone in no time flat. But it burns so cleanly and neatly, it's just really freaking cool. I wonder if you can buy soy wax to make your own? The wax is so cool, it's not flat like normal wax but it dries into a kind of crystalline pattern. I'd love to be able to refill it, though, I just can't get enough!

So I bought the gigantic fat lady jeans, and was very happy to have something that fits me. Well, this morning I put them on and by the time I'd walked out to the living room they'd fallen right down! : :LOL I should have known that if I bought giant jeans, I'd lose weight. I thought the scale at WIC was off, but apparently it isn't: I've lost nearly ten pounds in the past two weeks. Amazing. I don't even know what to make of it!

Oh, and I've got a zit on my chin. I think it means that my period is about to return, despite Mr. Bean's constant nursing. Back to the thermometer we go! :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#123 of 454 Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Poor Bean-Bean.

Quote:
If we had a bathtub, I'd stick him in it but I don't so I can't.
What about your kitchen sink? Would that work?

QoC ~ What GREAT pics!!! He looks like such a little man.

Quote:
I am also doing some decluttering/organizing. I am going to set up a play area in our dining room and I need to set up a desk area for myself in there too. I guess that's the one downside to not having a nursery, no baby-space for play. What do the rest of you do?
Major decluttering/organizing going on here too! We have a thread going in personal growth if you need some support!

I'm in the process of creating a play area in our "dinette" (tiny dining room between the kitchen and the living/family room). I'm having SO much fun creating it. I'll post some pics.

DH's turn on the computer...bye.
#124 of 454 Old 01-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
QoC... you wouldn't beleive what corn is hidden in!! Basically anything that comes prepared, you can count on either having corn or soy in it... especially sauces & salad dressings (corn starch is a thickener) Apparently, some vinegar is made of corn.... it's in boulloin cubes, medicines, ummmm.... icing sugar... jams... lots of things. My doctor said citrus, eggs, and red food dye all irritate it. Killy looks like he's having alot of fun!

Rynna, maybe you could make a game of having a bath in the kitchen sink or laundry tub? Roland had a few baths in the laundry tub when Kevin redid the bathroom & he thought it was great!!

Once I got Caitlin down for her nap this afternoon, I turned on the TV for Roland & curled up under 2 comforters & shivered & dozed. I don't feel good. Roland came & snuggled for a bit & he was so nice & warm!! I can't decide if it's just a hormonal thing or if I'm getting a cold. It seems like everyones had the cold & has been over it for a while, though. I get can't-stay-warm, whole-body-shaking cold when I'm getting my period (except when I'm on the pill, which I'm not) I think I'd rather have a cold! I didn't get it back until Roland was 15 or 16 months old!

Kevins school might be on strike tomorrow. He's not worried about it, it's not predictetd to be a long strike. So far some of the classes are pretty easy this term, so even if they lose out on some class time, he'll be able to keep up.

Oh suppertime is going to be a joy tonight! So far Roland has said he's scared of supper & frisbeed his plate across the room. Fortunetly there wasn't any food on it yet.... wish me luck!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

#125 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 12:25 AM

I have a question for those of you who knit or sew. I'm looking for a poncho like thing that has a hood but opens in the front that I could wrap around Lily when I taker her out of her seat and bring her into whereever we are going. I would want it to velcro closed so that it would wrap around her and I would want it to be knee length or longer. I posted this in TAO and the links someone found for me all have feet. I don't want to have to stuff anything into leg or armholes. I'm using a blanket right now but it doesn't cover her head well and there is no way to secure it. If anyone either knoew where I can get something like what I am describing or would be willing to make one let me know. Thanks!
#126 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

I think I have a pattern for something very much like what you're describing- like a hooded shawl, almost- but I'll have to double-check.
#127 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy
I have a question for those of you who knit or sew. I'm looking for a poncho like thing that has a hood but opens in the front that I could wrap around Lily when I taker her out of her seat and bring her into whereever we are going. I would want it to velcro closed so that it would wrap around her and I would want it to be knee length or longer. I posted this in TAO and the links someone found for me all have feet. I don't want to have to stuff anything into leg or armholes. I'm using a blanket right now but it doesn't cover her head well and there is no way to secure it. If anyone either knoew where I can get something like what I am describing or would be willing to make one let me know. Thanks!

That's amazing, I was wondering about that as well! It's been raining a lot here over the past few weeks, and I hate taking the carseat out with her in it because it's so much easier just to take the baby. I never thought to try to knit one, though. Hm. I think that yarn and velcro is a bad combination, but maybe a few big, strategically placed buttons...:thinking

I took BeanBean into the shower with me last night, washed his foot especially well, and then we stood there until the hot water started to run out. When we got out of the shower, I bit his hangnail and pulled it out that way, and then put some bactroban ointment on it. This morning, his toe isn't even red! He told me it felt better last night, but it was still red and swollen then. Wow, that scared me! I had an infected hangnail (they're called "paronychia's" only I don't think I'm spelling that right) once and it was a truly horrible experience. I didn't think it was anything serious, but when it started to streak and I developed a slight fever, I showed it to my mom and she flipped out and sent me to the hospital. I thought that she was totally overreacting, but when I got there they took me back to a room and a doctor and nurse each looked at it and then paged the orthopedic surgeon! : He was in surgery, and they asked me to wait. I wanted to go to the cafeteria and get some food, but they said that the surgeon might not be able to deal with it with a local anesthetic and I'd have to go into surgery. I was like "are you serious?" I just couldn't believe it.

A few hours later, the orthopedic surgeon came in, and he had three nurses hold my arm down to do a digital block (hurt like HELL!) and then he removed it and made a follow up appointment for me. Crazy stuff, but now I'm totally paranoid about infected hangnails.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#128 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 10:30 AM

Sandi ~ My mom made something VERY similar for Lil. She made it out of wool and lined it with flanel. It's hooded and unzips in the front...but I just flip up the back when I put her in her carseat and then the poncho lays over her like a blanket. It's REALLY cute! So many compliments when we wear it. She was thinking of trying to make one in fleece because the wool was pretty expensive.

I'll look for pics....
#129 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 11:56 AM

I have been thinking about my little poncho idea all night. I remember seeing a sight that showed how to make an adult fleece poncho w/out sewing. I think, and please those of you who sew set me straight if this is crazy, I can take a square shaped piece of fleece fold it into a triangle shape, cut a half circle, then slit it up the middle, put velcro in and I have the poncho part. For the hood I was looking at my oldest dd's detachable hood and it's basiclly just two rectangles sewed together on the top and back and then it's attached at the bottom. I "think" that would be easy to do. My mom has a sewing machine and I have a 50% off coupon for Joanne's. Do you think it would work?

sorry this is so jumbled I had 2 kids up all night again.
#130 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM

Seems like ds has decided to join some of the other June babes on the current sleep issues! He's been waking in the night to squeal and play for an hour or two! It's wearing me out. It's wearing him out too. He's been such a grump in the morning. Hopefully it will pass soon.

Sandi, the pncho idea sounds really cute.

Rynna, YIKES on your hangnail story!
#131 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Rynna, it's amazing, isn't it, what simple water (ie cleaning wounds) can do!! Dh's preferred method for almost any injury is to put a cut aloe leaf on it and bind it up and not look at it for several days at the least. I have to say this method has worked really well for many things that would have been stitched had we gone to the hospital (and if they're not that bad, who wants to sit four hours to avoid a scar on their leg?!). We also have uncannily fertile aloe plants. We can't contain them. A tiny aloe in a pot goes crazy and soon has several huge plants with babies underneath, and when they flower we get seven foot high stalks coming out of the center. It's kind of odd. But we have plenty for what ails us.

I was too tired to try to put him in his crib last night, but I really think he sometimes sleeps better in there, so I am in a quandary. I also seem to have figured out how tightly to put on disposables and that does seem to help him stay comfy later, or at least spares me changing him at six am. But I am really, really tired.

I found Touchpoints brand new and remaindered at Barnes and Noble for $4.98 yesterday!
#132 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Banned

I have no idea how much Ro weighs, we haven't had insurance for wbc until this month, but dh is laid off so it will have to wait until Feb. I am so curious though!

Glad Eli's foot is better.

I broke the nosepiece on my glasses yesterday. It is fixable but we are broke and I need to replace them soon anyway so the desire to fix them isn't really there. I have contacts but I haven't worn them in about 5 years (I always preferred my glasses) so I can only wear them a few hours right now. It sucks to be so blind. I also have mild double vision-you have no idea how close I am to the computer screen right now!

Tain put coins in our cd drive a few days ago. Dh and I got them all out and it was working but now it isn't ejecting. Sigh.

As for the poncho, sounds like you have a good plan-I would try to attach the hood some way, though, or you could get rain down her neck. Brr!

I was thinking that if I made it, I would use the pattern for a sleeved and footed one and basically not sew the sleeves together/make them longer and wider-the same for the front and back. That way it would have shoulders and a well fitting hood as well as a front opening. But that is a lot of pattern manipulation.

QoC- I hope you don't lose power! I'll be thinking of you.

Tain is not sleeping well-still. And Ro is champion nursing at night. I am so tired. I realized multiple times last night that I was awake with no idea how long I had been awake. So a blind and tired mama is a VERY grumpy mama. Argh.

Well, I can't see Ro anymore-guess I should go find where he has gotten to. I get them feeling it is the cat bowls. Yep, I was right. He really didn't like going back to the toys so I need to go.
#133 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 03:34 PM

Rynna, I'm glad BeanBeans foot is feeling better.

We moved Caitlins crib to Roland room this morning. She's napping in there now. This is because of last night, after her 2 hour party, I was just drifting off to sleep when Kevin started snoring. I spent the next few minutes litening to: snore, stir, snore, rustle, snore, stir, rustle, snore, squeak, snore, rustle, squeak, snore, squeak, squauk, snore, squawk, rustle, WAHHHHHHHHHH!! Then I spent 1/2 getting Caitlin back to sleep, after giving Kevin a good flogging. Why does he have to breathe, anyway?

Roland is very excited about Caitlins crib being in his room. He helped move his dresser so we could set it up in there. He wants to share his stuffies with her, and he's claiming to be tired, so he can get in there & "nap with her" (or more accurately, wake her up!) I wonder how much sleep I'll be getting tonight... I can't say I'm particularly optimistic...

Kevins school is on strike today, so he's off running errands. He's got to pay his union dues & drop off some receipts for refund. Then he's going to drop off a letter with the property assessment office. Our assessment increases $90,000 over last year!! Theres no way we could get the amount we're assessed at if we sold our house... it's ridiculous. So, we're disputing it. Kevin is in a sour mood over the whole thing!!!

#134 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 PM

"Why does he have to breathe, anyway? "

I don't know how to quote correctly, but THAT made me laugh out loud.

Just got Flora down for her FIRST nap today. It's 2 pm. What in the world!?!

I'm letting my oldest watch a video and I'm getting ready to work so can't comment on all I wanted to. Will come back later today.
#135 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 PM

Sandi--that sounds like it should work just fine for the poncho. Fleece is great because you don't have to hem it, so basically the only seam would be in putting hte head on.

I'm going to make a pouch/scarf to go over me and R when she's in the carrier. I have this kiddopatomus one a friend loaned me but there's a hard scratchy strap that goes around my neck and I'd rather have it soft all over.

Off to check out that personal growth decluttering thread for some inspiration. Our apartment seems so small right now, but it's just because we have soooo much stuff.
#136 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 09:59 PM

This pouch sounds so cool. I want one. Unfortunately, I can't sew to save my life. I still have my mom or mil hem my pants : .

Gavin's rash is clearing up...Yeah!

I had a scary situation happen today. I provide childcare for 3 children and they are always playing with bouncy balls. I have tried to hide them b/c Gavin is now into everything. I thought I recovered all of the balls and later today I noticed Gavin was playing too quitely by himself and I thought I better check what he was into (even though i could see him, ya never know). I went over to move him and check his mouth and out pops a gumball size bouncy ball. I was horrified...and felt like such a bad mom for not noticing it was around still. Gavin is just everywhere and I just can't seem to childproof enough for him. I love that he entertains himself, but I feel like my eyes have to be so peeled. Which is fine except when Logan needs to go the bathroom like NOW and is afraid to go by himself and I run to the bathroom not thinking and then once we get there have to say...Oh wait let me get Gavin. I suck at multitasking in situations like that. I am just so scared that someday that will lead to a dangerous situation.
#137 of 454 Old 01-11-2005, 10:26 PM

Sandra, I used to set up a perimeter around Roland with all of his toys that make noise when they're touched anytime I had to leave him in the livingroom alone. I knew it was time to hurry back whenever it got quiet, because he was moving out of the safe area I'd set up. I started doing that because he scared the crap out of me once when I came back to the livingroom & he was GONE!!! Well, he'd wriggled his way under the coffee table... but it was a few seconds of sheer terror before I found him

#138 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 09:56 AM

Sandra, what you describe is one of my big fears for Flora. Isabel has so many toys with small parts. I don't know how I'm going to really childproof for Flora. I'm glad you listened to your intuition and checked on what he was playing with.

I keep thinking, these babies are moving and getting into stuff? It blows my mind. Flora is still so immobile. Maybe that's why she's been so irritable. She's really been crabby the past couple days and it's wearing on me.

On another note, I paid bills last night. It sucked. My last paycheck was way short because of the holidays (I don't get holiday pay). My next paycheck is going to be short b/c of last week's computer issues. I had to pay $200 to get my computer fixed ... that $200 was for bills. So I'm about $300 in the red right now and don't get paid again for two weeks. I mean, we still haven't built our savings back up from this summer (when I had no pay at all for two months). Then we had Christmas to fund (not for our kids but for the whole extended family). And now this. An unexpected payment and no work just knocks a hole in the best laid plans. I think I'm going to have to borrow money from one of the kids savings accounts. I don't want to do it but I have to pay the electric bill. I'm ready for our W2's to come in so I can file our taxes. That'll give a little cushion I hope.

I'd better get off here and get moving. Need to get the big girl up and start getting her ready for school.
#139 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 10:37 AM

We're not really mobile here either. R will roll like crazy, pushing around and pushing up and whatnot, but she'll get stuck on her belly and just call for help. Like right now...

Back. I feel badly for her, her immobility is clearly frustrating, but I guess I'm a little surprised she isn't working through it. All in time, I guess.
#140 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 AM

I got rid of all the small parts toys when I was pregnant with Caitlin. There were a few HotWheels type cars, and thats it. He got some small parts stuff for Christmas, though. Caitlin isn't mobile yet though, and at the rate this stuff is breaking, it'll all be in the recycling bin by the time she is!

MIL sent over a coffee can full of pennies for the kids bank account. Of course FIL didn't think to keep it out of Rolands sight, so he's been begging to play with it since. Imagine a coffe can worth of pennies strewn about the house!! MIL expects me to roll it all up . I do it, but it annoys me to no end. If she doesn't have time to roll coins without 2 kids, why does she think I have time *with* 2 kids?! She's done this 3 times now. So I always make a point of thanking her for the casino money, and tell her I had alot of fun, maybe I'll have better luck next time, it's all gone... because I'm sure that annoys her to no end! It would be unacceptable to her if I even spent the money on toys or fun stuff for the kids... she's very clear that it's for their bank account.

Caitlins first night in Rolands room was exhausting. I got her into her nighttime diaper & to bed by 10. I was about to start getting ready for bed around 10:30, and Roland woke up. He'd peed the bed (the first time in a few months, so I can't really complain) He stripped down while I changed the sheets, and I tried to get him to climb into my bed & sleep in there, but he didn't want to. He sat on my lap & snuggled, refusing payjamas, but obviously a bit cold until Caitlin woke up at 11. Kevin took Roland & coerced him into his pyjamas & read him a story while I nursed Caitlin back to sleep. She was up at 1, for a big, long drawn out nurse & again at 4. At quarter to 5 I got Kevin up to try & get her to sleep, and went back to bed, only to have Roland climb in with me at 5. Kevin got Caitlin to sleep, but the rest of us are UP. Kevin put coffee on. Oh well! I doubt I'd have gotten even an hour more of sleep had she been next to me.

#141 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 12:58 PM
Banned

It's snowing here-glad we got out of the house the last few days b/c it looks COLD. Looks like it is going to be like this for the next week, though today is the only predicted snow day.

Pennies! Even a coffee can full of them is what, 4 dollars? Do you have coinstar? That might be fun for Roland to pour them in, then get the money and take it to the bank. It'd save you the rolling. Tain loves coins too, he used to play with them all the time-he has never been the type of kid to put lots of things in his mouth. Now that Ro is here, he doesn't get it why he can't play with them anymore. But let's face it, even if Ro wasn't here the last time Matt gave him some he put them in our CD drive. Yeah, mommy says no more money.

I think Tain's molars are still giving him trouble. We gave him some motrin last night and, while he still didn't sleep great, he slept better. Ro is still nursing all night. This morning I decided I am going to have to keep track of how many times b/c even if it is only 5, that is still less than 2 hours apart. I wake up as flat and empty as when I went to bed! It's ridiculous. He nurses all day too. I am glad I know how bfing works and growth spurts and stuff or I'd start to wonder if I had enough milk. One of dh's co-workers tells me that she didn't have enough milk and what she describes sounds exactly like a growth spurt. I feel so sad that she really believes that and that her ds missed out on all the good mama milk b/c no one supported her or told her any different.

The cat really loves Ro. If Ro is sitting on the floor playing, the cat will come lay next to him.

Man, Ro is getting big! I am going to see my old mw next week and am so excited to use her scale! I justed measured his head and it is 18 inches. He's got quite a melon. He didn't have a very big head when he was born, it just grew like a balloon.

Okay, I really don't have much to say so I guess I'll go. Have a great day!
#142 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 01:26 PM
Banned

Okay, I can't help it. This is my 1,000th post!
#143 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm at $12.50 so far with the pennies & theres a 1/3 can to go... it's a kilogram can (biggest... not sure on US measurements! : ) I don't have any kind of coin counting gizmos here... do you mean like the ones at Safeway? They take a cut, don't they? If so, MIL would be pissed if she found out. She's very generous to us, bit she gives with strings. (Kevin ignores them, but it's a bit of an issue with me still) She's a bit of a loon... she owns an apartment building & she dumpster dives to get her tenants pop & beer cans for the deposits (she gives the money to the kids for their bank account, so we got a yogurt container full of bigger coins to roll & deposit, too!) She went on to me on the phone one day about how they "can't pay their rent, but they're throwing money away!" It's not about recycling for the environment either, she doesn't sort her cans, plastic & glass, because she "doesn't have time". I've tried explaining to her it doesn't take much time at all, but theres no gettng through to her. She's just nuts... she was complaining to me that BIL was throwing away all her stuff (he's 24 & still lives with them) and Kevin told me what some of it is: papers from the realtor job she had when Kevin was a baby, old phone books (BIL kept the last 4 years worth & threw away the older ones) and baking supplies that hadn't been used in years.

I've been napping on the couch this morning, while Caitlin (finally) sleeps. She should be up anytime now, though.

#144 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Our cats do not care for this intrusion of a baby at all. He loves the sight of them, though. I've forced them to submit to him on occasion but they rarely approach him. Only the old one, who has been through this before and discovered the baby became a child who'd pet him incessantly, is more tolerant. At a friend's house yesterday their cat came up to Rowan and sniffed his nose and let him "pet" him- bang on his head very fast with his fist, whiskers tightly grasped within. The cat seemed not to mind, though. Dogs love him but I confess I am never altogether comfortable with him near a dog's big toothy face. I really like dogs but I know they can be skittish with the unknown, too.

I caved and bought a peg perego on ebay. : It arrived yesterday and it's soooo nice and new and compact compared to the dinosaur I have been using. I have broken and dh has fixed parts on it and I keep putting too much weight in the basket and breaking that too. And it's really, really heavy- it's made of steel, not aluminum. Of course it's neat and old and weird and a pretty green-and-blue plaid so I feel guilty for wanting a new one too, because now I don't want to get rid of the old one either....I feel awful for being so material but I'm sure I'll let go of the old one soon. I wouldn't need such a damned expensive stroller except I want the reversible handle, and graco doesn't make them anymore, and even the one step ahead catalog, that awful headache-inducing magazine that arrives unsolicited in the mail, has discontinued their reversible handle model. The problem with theirs and even the old graco I have is the wheels don't reverse, so when it's carriage style it's very hard to get the hang of turning etc. I don't know how long I could go on trying to excuse this stupidly expensive purchase with money that doesn't exist; probably days.

And dd is having a birthday party in ten days and we don't yet know where or what it will be! Ice skating is a ripoff and too short, she doesn't like the idea of the gymnastics place, though it's a better deal, she doesn't want to do a park or beach yet again. She wants to have it at home, but doesn't know what to do and we have nothing really to do- we want to keep the masses out of her room, but we don't have a playset or pool or even a fence around the yard, and we have a huge dead tree that makes the side yard off-limits. Then we were trying to come up with a craft project (which I usually have had at her parties) but couldn't, and her male cousin would be miserable anyway. So I suggested seeing if a wild animal show could come to the house. At first she was very opposed, not wanting to support zoos or exploitation, but I researched it and found some good ones and am waiting for their hours to open so I can see if they are available on such short notice!! Now of course she loves the idea and will be disappointed if we can't do it! This January birthday is very, very hard to manage. Christmas was so hard with the baby and the January bday is always difficult- both in terms of time and planning and because we have no money. MIL's birthday is Monday, too! And she'll be in town so we have to be timely. Last year we told her Rowan was coming by her present, I might have told y'all- got two birthstone charms on one necklace, for her other grandchildren, and told her we'd owe her another come summer. So what to do, what to do...we could get her the birthstone charm for Rowan but then what else...? Dd is about to burst with excitement that they're coming and her birthday is coming and so on. I will be glad when it is passed, though I feel terrible saying it, and I can relax for a while!

So wish us luck with our efforts to pay a whole lot of money to get servals and panthers and porcupines to come to our house on ten days' notice!
#145 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

I hate the strings attached thing. Just give it or don't, but a gift should be just that-a gift. What you do with it shouldn't matter. If she wants money in their bank account, she should go deposit it. And they do take a cut, but it's so worth it, imo. I like rolling coins, but I don't like it now that I have small children. It's an exercise in frustration and when do you have the time when they aren't around? Some ppl are so self-centered, they have a lot of trouble seeing outside their own life. 4 years of phonebooks?! Even that is excessive!

The peg perego is so worth the money, you don't have to justify it. I got mine marked down at BRU and it doesn't have a reversible handle but Ro loves it and Tain will even ride in it. I think before we got it we were forcing a big boy into a little stroller or one that was too reclined. This one has a cupholder and tray (something that is VERY handy for distracting him). I am SO not sorry we bought it.

I just made Tain some playdough and he loves it! Finally he's out of the fridge and isn't destroying food we need to eat, yet satisfying his desire to "cook". Right now it is a balloon on top of a matchbox car. oh, we need green balloon, not yellow.
#146 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjule
I hate the strings attached thing. Just give it or don't, but a gift should be just that-a gift. What you do with it shouldn't matter. If she wants money in their bank account, she should go deposit it.
This is how my dh's grandma is. She is very well off and gives the girls generous monetary gifts but then will lecture my dh because the girls accounts are not in their names but in sub-accounts under our savings account. That's how our credit union does it. She also DEMANDS that it is to be used for college only and my dh use to get all worked up about it. A couple of years ago when things were really tight and we were having a hard time coming up w/ money for a class Lauren was signed up to do I made him take it from her account. THe way I see it if we use it for a class or something for the kids it is going towards her education. HEy even if we needed it to pay the bills I think it's an investment in their future because I'm staying home w/ them.

Oh and she has gone so far as to ask to see our bank statements. Um NO! Talk about controlling!
#147 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsmommy
Oh and she has gone so far as to ask to see our bank statements. Um NO! Talk about controlling!
When DH & I first got married, we had my name added to his account. It had been his since he was a baby...MIL had opened it for him, so her name was on there, too. We were all going to have to go in together to have her name taken off, and it seemed like a big hassle, especially since she never looked at it anymore anyway... WRONG! She called up one day & let on that she knew what our bank balance was. DH & I abandoned the account & opened a new one. Then she made a depoit to the new account without our consent. DH went in & got a money order in her name for the same amount. She just wouldn't take a hint! When Roland was born, she asked for a photocopy of his birth certificate 'for Grandma in Denmark' With a bit of probing, she finally admitted she planned on opening a bank account for Roland, because it's better if kids don't know about their own savings, and it would be a good tax break for her. We told her we'd a;ready opened his bank account & would happily give her the # if she'd like, but she wants to be in control of the cash. I can't do anything about her trying to pull strings with us, but I'm not allowing her to do that to the kids if I can help it. DH is pretty good about ignoring the strings... she should know by now that she can't buy his obedience with cash. The strings are only relevant if you let them tug on them... DH doesn't (but I get the occasional twang of guilt, which is why I prefer not to accept cash in the first place...) His dad is totally NOT strings attached about it, at least.

#148 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Asks to see your bank statements?! Eeew. I feel offended when the bank wants to see them for a mortgage, and that is at least understandable!

I have, in desperation, turned to vacuuming to get Rowan to go to sleep. He fights it in any other way. At least this way I get a chore done though it hurts terribly after a while.

We managed to get a time for the wild animal show. It sounds like a really nice time and I know it is a good organization, non-profit, they treat the animals very, very well, etc. So though it is expensive and the party will still be at our house, it at least takes the pressure off having something for them to do other than mill about. Dd likes to open presents as the guests arrive and give them to her. I like it that way too; the giver gets more attention and it isn't some big extravaganza with everyone really wanting the birthday kid to get to what they brought. It also gives everyone something to do and focus on as people are arriving. Then we put the presents on the table and go on with the party. I plan to keep it simple; pizza after folks arrive, and I can get vegan wheat-free pizzas from whole foods for those who need that, and then the animal people will arrive and do their thing for an hour, and then we'll do cake, and then people will go home.

We haven't gotten baby gates yet, but I am going to get one to keep people out of the back of the house!

I have to decide what to do about my neighbor's children. She has six altogether. While I like the two older teens when they are being nice, they haven't been nice in a long while and I don't much like them lately. They also have a nasty habit of bringing the derelict teen druggie population of our town to anything they're invited to. However, we are having a panther among other things come to our house so I would feel churlish not inviting anyone who wants to come see it. Still, they have this other quality of being an energy sinkhole and I want this to remain my daughter's day, ie not so many grownups or kids who aren't her peers. This one family has managed to turn a small memorial day dinner at my house into a completely out-of-control event that was not much fun for anyone. These two girls throw into sharp focus how different they are from my other friends' teen girls. You'd hardly believe they are the same age. The others are sweet and good and responsible, and in terms of pop culture are probably sheltered, but seem much older in every other respect than my neighbor's girls. I think I will extend the invitation to the two kids closest in age to my daughter and not go into great detail. I feel guilty doing that but truth be told I just don't want the other girls and their entourage there. I hope they come through their teen drama soon because when "they're good, they're very very good, and when they're bad..." Also, I would really like the animal show to be the focus of the day and in order to do that we need to keep the group small. What do y'all think?
#149 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"Oh and she has gone so far as to ask to see our bank statements. Um NO! Talk about controlling!"

WHOAH! That woman has serious boundary issues, no question...

My in-laws give James $$ for college, but they don't tell us where to put it. I think it's OK for a giver to say "this is for college" and leave it at that.
#150 of 454 Old 01-12-2005, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

My MIL has some kind of trust for my dd that is in her own name; at first that bothered me but it doesn't now. Actually the only reason it bothered me at all is because she is with Smith Barney and I don't like the companies they invest in. I would rather use a company like T Rowe Price or Calvert that has a history of investment in socially responsible funds. I also have a bunch of bonds her friends bought for dd when she was born. I guess those are for her to do with as she wishes when they mature. Dh used his to fund his trip to India at 21.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page