June 2004 January thread!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2005, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Oh, I'd actually feel better about the less-legal herb than I do about the cloves; from all I've been able to determine, it's safer. : But I don't really have a source at all. :LOL
You've ***really*** got to be careful about your source, though (at least here) Growers/dealers have been known to add other substances to it to, 'improve' the effectiveness, and increase customer loyalty. I found out about this after one New Years party where Kevin & I bought some special cookies. About *12 HOURS!!!* had passed after we took them before I could think "Yep, been this high before" ( and I was NOT a novice : ) So, I'm thinking they must have been laced with something. The same thing has happened to friends, but not with baked goods... anyway, that was a long, long time ago, pre-kid.

Oh, Caitlins almost through with playing strange (I hope!) Here she is with Grandma:
Mummy! I don't like this scary lady!!!
She started up with it at 3 months, though... maybe *thats* what she chose to be advanced at Meanwhile, I could count on one hand the number of times she's rolled over. Silly baby!

~Teresa, raising DS (Jan. 02) and DD1 (Jun. 04) and DD2 (Dec. 11) with DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2005, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, well you guys won't BELIEVE my luck. Got up at 5:30. Made my post. Took a shower, came back to the computer and the #%$*! internet connection was down. And I have DSL! I have to have internet to work. So I cried a little bit. Went to the kitchen, made my scones for dinner. Added spices to the beans, washed dishes. Did a load of diapers. Finished vacuuming downstairs. Played with Flora. Fed Flora rice cereal which she gobbled (note to self...maybe the problem with not liking solids is trying to feed them at night at dinner instead of in the morning?) and nursed her back down. So I did NOT get loads of work done. But thank God, the connection is back and now I'm gonna work.

I think stranger anxiety is starting around here too. Flora hasn't been happy anywhere but in my arms all week.

HBH, I like the mug smashing idea. I may try it!

Okay, hugs to everyone. Hope your days are going well. Now to get some work done!
Old 01-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebirthHarriett
You've ***really*** got to be careful about your source, though (at least here) Growers/dealers have been known to add other substances to it to, 'improve' the effectiveness, and increase customer loyalty. I found out about this after one New Years party where Kevin & I bought some special cookies. About *12 HOURS!!!* had passed after we took them before I could think "Yep, been this high before" ( and I was NOT a novice : ) So, I'm thinking they must have been laced with something. The same thing has happened to friends, but not with baked goods... anyway, that was a long, long time ago, pre-kid.
I've heard this, too. One more reason I'm not terribly keen to go looking for a source right now. *sigh* I wish I knew someone with a greenhouse. :LOL

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 01-14-2005, 03:32 PM

oh my! All of you. I am almost in tears to hear you all aren't perfect about the whole smoking deally. I have been keeping it inside for so long. I think itis mostly my depression/anxiety that leads me to doing it. I smoke cloves once in a blue moon (my dh loves them). I am probably the most awful of all of you b/c I indulge in a cig every so often. It just relaxes me. I know it's not good for me, but I am definetly not a "smoker". I of course do it outside w/o the children.

The slings are really cute Julie! They sort of remind me of my KKACP, but nicer!

Oh I best be going.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:42 PM

Sandra ~ Ahhhh....doesn't that feel better! Perfect-shmerfect. We are all great mamas doing what we can to be the best mamas we can be!!
Old 01-14-2005, 05:02 PM

I'm rolling over here (not literally) about the "Voldemort"** discussion, though I haven't done anything like since I stopped smoking the tabbaccy many years ago. (Now THAT is a disgusting habit, one I feel very proud to have quit. I was definitely NOT a recreational smoker)

And HBH, I have been known to break ceramics too :...

I'm a temple of purity over here --decaf coffee, near beer--but I am eating out of control. I never was a stress or comfort eater but since the pounds keep piling on no matter what I do and I'm tired all the time I find myself munching a lot. Gained at least five pounds over the holidays. And tomorrow I'm going to put myself in a swimsuit for R's swim class.

**PS Rynna, I am stealing [rant][/rant] too--it's just too good.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:06 PM

... so cloves come in a pack like cigarettes? Hmmm, here I was thinking you were talking about whole cloves (like fron the baking aisle) and figured you'd probably smoke them ina pipe like a ball of hash : : : (stop it! stop it! you're saying too much now!!)

Old 01-14-2005, 05:13 PM

OMG, Balancin1 - the weight thing is too upsetting to talk about. I was down to pre-preg weight back in September but then gained almost 10 pounds! I'm loosing again now - thank goodness - but it was really upsetting for me. I struggled with an eating disorder through college and I now weigh 30 pounds more than I did back then. Granted, I don't think I'll ever be a size 2 again, and I wasn't healthy when I was at that weight, but its still sad to me. What's really weird is that DH seems more interested in sex now than ever before and is constantly telling me how sexy I am. I think he's a bit loopy!

Killy must be in a MAJOR growth spurt right now, I swear he nursed 20+ times last night! He was attached all night long...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebirthHarriett
... so cloves come in a pack like cigarettes? Hmmm, here I was thinking you were talking about whole cloves (like fron the baking aisle) and figured you'd probably smoke them ina pipe like a ball of hash : : : (stop it! stop it! you're saying too much now!!)
: : :LOL : : OMG, that's hilarious... yes, they come in a pack like cigarettes. Most specialty tobacco stores carry them. Cloves in a pipe! :LOL I love it! :LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
OMG, Balancin1 - the weight thing is too upsetting to talk about. I was down to pre-preg weight back in September but then gained almost 10 pounds! I'm loosing again now - thank goodness - but it was really upsetting for me. I struggled with an eating disorder through college and I now weigh 30 pounds more than I did back then. Granted, I don't think I'll ever be a size 2 again, and I wasn't healthy when I was at that weight, but its still sad to me. What's really weird is that DH seems more interested in sex now than ever before and is constantly telling me how sexy I am. I think he's a bit loopy!
Did you ever see that episode of Malcom in the Middle where Lois, hugely pregnant, is complaining about her weight gain during the pregnancy? She keeps grumbling about how she can't figure out why she's gaining weight, and then you see her husband sneaking extra fat and calories into her diet, and admiring her huge ass from across the room. :LOL It's very funny.

I don't think I'll ever be a size 2 again either... It's hard to believe I ever was that small. It's hard for me to believe I was ever a size 8, now that you mention it. *sigh* Ah, well. I still look like I swallowed you whole! :

Old 01-14-2005, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Cloves... Black Djoran? Those were my favorites. They really are awful for you, but I loved how spicy and yummy they were. I was a smoke-once-a-month-girl in college, either cloves or Bidis. (yummy little flavored ciggarettes from India, someone told me their made from all the trash left on the floor of cig factories there - nice, huh?) I haven't smoke either in several years. I think there has to be a distinction made between a smoker who smokes a similar number of cigarettes every day to a person who smokes once or twice a month - and clove smokers usually fall into the second category, I agree.
I've been smoking Djarum Splash, because the local place I visited doesn't carry the Lights. I usually smoked once a week-- while playing rpg's with the other clove-smoking geeks. :

I've never tried Bidi's, but I've heard of them.

At my absolute heaviest clove-smoking period, I smoked one pack of 20 over a week. And I shared *often*; not only would I give someone a smoke, I'd give them one or two for later. So I'd say I got 8-12 over a week, at the most. It really felt like a lot, too! :LOL Cigarette smokers would snort and giggle at this; less than half a pack over a week = lightweight, but for a clove smoker, it's a lot.

Old 01-14-2005, 07:07 PM

I used to smoke cloves in college. I smoked regular cigs too, but occasionally would pick up a pack of cloves. The Black Djorans were the ones I liked too. I have promised not to smoke another cig for the rest of my life. It's just a little toke of MJ for me from here on out. Sometimes I really miss smoking, just holding a cig and dragging really hard on it! I'm sure I'd get absolutely sick if I tried one at this point. My last cig was July 1, 2001. That was the day I found out I was pregnant with dd. I have a friend who's ds had reflux and cried alot as a baby. She was a previous smoker and she would just crave cigs when she couldn't get her baby to stop crying. She never gave in, but she figured a cig or two once and a while wouldn't be as bad for the babe as having a constantly stessed out mama! It's all about moderation.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
: A friend gave me a clove cigarette in college. it was a prop for a mystery dinner-theater dealie, so I couldn't light up, but it smelled so good that I ATE it, in tiny pieces, over the course of the evening.

I was SO sick. And all of my friends stood around laughing in the communal bathroom whilst I heaved my guts up.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:30 PM

OMG, Smithie, you all most made me pee my pants!
Old 01-14-2005, 07:40 PM

Here's Queenie's rant for the day: Okay, so we had the terrible ice storm the other week. Luckily, the only damage to our property was my destroyed hard drive and one big-ass branch down in our front yard. Its been a week and a half since the storm, and the only interest DH has shown in the downed branch is to ask if we're going to hire a tree service to come take care of it. I reminded him that there is no way we can afford that this month, and he agreed and then aparently completely lost interest - never mentioned it again or made any effort or expressed any intent in taking care of it. No one else on our stree still has branches down and it was bothering me that our yard looked trashy, so I told him yesterday that today while Killy napped I was going to cut it up. So, again today I tell him that I'm going to cut it up and he just says I should pace myself. Did I mention its 16 degrees today? I saw and break branches for 40 minutes and then come back inside. I am so mad! First of all, its OUR house - why do I have to do all the storm cleanup? Secondly, why isn't he enough of a grownup to realize it needed to be done? Thirdly, this may be petty, but I really wish he was more of a gentlemen - I cannot imagine either of our dads letting our moms go saw wood outside when its 16 degrees and then not even thanking them for it!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Here's Queenie's rant for the day: Okay, so we had the terrible ice storm the other week. Luckily, the only damage to our property was my destroyed hard drive and one big-ass branch down in our front yard. Its been a week and a half since the storm, and the only interest DH has shown in the downed branch is to ask if we're going to hire a tree service to come take care of it. I reminded him that there is no way we can afford that this month, and he agreed and then aparently completely lost interest - never mentioned it again or made any effort or expressed any intent in taking care of it. No one else on our stree still has branches down and it was bothering me that our yard looked trashy, so I told him yesterday that today while Killy napped I was going to cut it up. So, again today I tell him that I'm going to cut it up and he just says I should pace myself. Did I mention its 16 degrees today? I saw and break branches for 40 minutes and then come back inside. I am so mad! First of all, its OUR house - why do I have to do all the storm cleanup? Secondly, why isn't he enough of a grownup to realize it needed to be done? Thirdly, this may be petty, but I really wish he was more of a gentlemen - I cannot imagine either of our dads letting our moms go saw wood outside when its 16 degrees and then not even thanking them for it!
Wow! You must be so tired & sore after doing all that, that you coulndn't possibly muster up the energy to cook supper!

Our fence is still broken & a holly tree knocked over from when that taxi drove into our yard a few months back I'ts annoying, but we're on a busy street.Kevin will probaby get to it sometime after a visit from the by-law enforcement officer.

Quote:
OMG, that's hilarious... yes, they come in a pack like cigarettes. Most specialty tobacco stores carry them. Cloves in a pipe!
Go ahead, laugh at my expense, I don't mind! I think what made me think of the whole cloves is they were part of the labour augmentation witches brew the midwives had me make. They're hard little things & they wouldn't roll nicely... whatever... Im a silly, silly girl! But they're made of the same plant as baking cloves, right? Do they smell like gingersnaps? (which have gigner, and usually cloves as well)

The dermatologist appointment was very brief. Well, the part where we actually saw the doctor was. There was a fish tank in the waiting room, so it wasn't too bad. She prescribed 3 creams, plus I'm supposed to use the cream I already have on the really bad spots. I had been told to bathe her as infrequently as possible, and only very briefly. She jumped down my throat for not bathing her daily. Well, geez! I was only doing what your **collegue**
told me to!! Then she asked me what I've been doing for the rash, then interrupted before I could respond, and treated me like I've been neglecting Caitlin & haven't done anything about it up to this point. At least the advice she gave seemed sound. The not bathing thing seemed strange to me...

Old 01-14-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned

Don't you love doctors that assume you are a bad mom? ARG!

Queenie-we could tar and feather him...it wouldn't have lasting damage but it would still feel great! My dh would not let me do that, though he wouldn't take care of it w/o me nagging him. He hates manual labor. Good thing we live in an upstairs apt.

the herbage never worked for me. It always made me nauseated and totally yucky feeling-same with dh. Then again, when I smoked, I probably was way overindulging-it was college and I did as much as my heavy user friends did. I don't think I ever knew you could do less and get high. Man, did it make them stupid. Seriously. I know what ppl say about it, but I watched everyone (except one person) I knew get obviously stupider in the course of a year and a half. Some of them couldn't hold a normal conversation. No proponent of it has ever explained that to me, they all act like I am lying or that it NEVER happens. But they were all HEAVY users, with a total mental addiction to it. My roommate used to take the bong into the bathroom every morning and get high, take a shower and go to class. I was a slug when I was high, I am always amazed that ppl can do *anything* after smoking. Anyway...I never smoked cloves either. They hurt. But I LOVED kissing someone who had smoked them-it made their lips taste so sweet and heavenly. Believe it or not, I actually know a couple that smokes them like ppl smoke cigs. Weird, huh? As for cigs, I come from a family of addicts-both sets of grandparents, my dad has been smoking since he was 13, all of my birth siblings smoke except for me. I quit when I found out I was pregnant with Tain. Thank god my body helped me out a little b/c I had tried so many times to quit and hadn't been successful. I still crave them sometimes, I find myself taking a long, deep breath when I walk by ppl who are smoking (isn't that aweful?!). I was/am such an addict that I am terrified of them. On New Year's dh wanted us all to smoke a cigar and I had to bow out at the last minute, I am just so scared that all it will take is one puff of anything tobacco and I will be hooked again. *Shiver* scary stuff. OTOH, I know ppl that can indulge occasionally without any ill effects. I guess it is all in the wiring...

I have done the mug thing, but we don't have very many now and I would have to clean up the parking lot and really, that isn't very safe for my kids if I am home alone. I don't really have a quick de-stresser. That is definitely a problem.

Well, I can smell Tain from across the room so I think I should go.

I want to clarify that I am definitely not passing judgement on anyone's choices, simply stating the reasons for mine. It is interesting how your experiences speak so much louder than anything you are told or read.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used to smoke cloves. Also Bidis. Then I stuck with Camel non-filters till I found out I was pg with #1. I smoked pot when I was 17, quit when I was 19, and don't miss it at all. I smoked it every day for like 6 months and then it got old really fast.

I can't stand cloves now! Not even in food. They are way too strong.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

My son has stopped sleeping. Maybe the stranger situation freaked him out? Maybe it's trying sposies at night? Whatever it is I have been up for a long, long time now. And I have to get up again in a few hours, and he finally fell asleep in the least convenient place, near the foot of my bed, and I don't imagine he'll be asleep for long anyway. I am trying not to hit someone. I did rip down the rest of the nasty panelling but the bastard that lived here and put the ugly shit up in the first place cemented it in one spot to the strips to the drywall to the wood the drywall was attached to!!!! At the sliding glass door there is a long corner of cinderblock in my dining/family area now!! Like I need that to deal with!!

What I discovered a while ago, though, with the other wall, is that a coat of primer makes it at least look ok for company, even if the sanding and spackling isn't quite done. I just need a seven foot by ten inch strip of drywall now!!!

It was probably good I at least got all that ripped down, though, because we have to finish it now. And the panelling was so weird, it actually looks better this way. And instead of furring strips he used 3/4" pressure treated wood so we have gained an inch and a half all around our room! Nitwits abound! And I got some irritation out that way, I suppose. I can't figure out if this caused or released more frustration.

Anyone else's baby on a sleeping strike? I tried more food, less food, no food, routine, no routine, sling, no sling....btw he likes bananas, sweet potatoes, peaches, oatmeal (but not rice cereal). He likes pears and apples but they seem to upset his tummy yet.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:47 AM

HBH-- I've always been told that for most kinds of eczema (there are several varieties, but I'm sure you knew that already) you shouldn't wash the skin every day because it just contributes to the irritation. The exception is if something is crusty/dripping/oozing; then it needs to be washed in plain water fairly frequently.

QoC-- I too would have to nag to see it get done, but Mike would do it; he actually loves manual labor. He used to work in construction and only quit because it was so physically demanding, he started to feel like an old man in his mid twenties. He said that he'd come home from work and his entire body would just hurt, so he had to quit. But he loves doing it, and would much rather, say, build a wall than go to the gym and work out.

Julie-- I've met some *very* heavy users who have, in fact, "smoked themselves stupid." :LOL I guess it's not all that funny, just sad, really. I actually used to score better on tests if I was high or if I was still drunk from the night before. : But I wasn't a real heavy user of anything. I have a very addictive personality, but I was never addicted to cloves or pot at all, and definately not to cigarettes (they just grossed me out). It's actually quite remarkable, now that I think about it. These days, I'm super careful about the things I *was* addicted to in the past, and I very closely monitor/restrict any intake of them. Habits can be so hard to break!

Liz-- BooBah, left to her own devices, will sleep all night. BeanBean, however, doesn't; he frequently wakes his sister up, leaving her loud and miserable. Ah, the joys of toddlerhood.

Miss BooBah appears to be developing a cold. Yich. Her nose is running like a faucet and she's having trouble breathing through her nose when she's lying down, nursing, or sucking her thumb, so she's not terribly into the idea of sleeping. She did fall asleep in the car, but when her brother woke up, she did too.

Mike is trying to get BeanBean to sleep. :LOL BeanBean is putting up a valiant effort, but he really is exhausted.

Old 01-15-2005, 05:56 AM

HE STOOD UP! HE STOOD UP BY HIMSELF!

Well, OK, he was holding the table. But it was still amazing.

http://smithie.blogspot.com

I just gained the capacity to post pics in my pathetic little whiny blog, so now you should definitely start looking at it!
Old 01-15-2005, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy
Did you ever see that episode of Malcom in the Middle where Lois, hugely pregnant, is complaining about her weight gain during the pregnancy?
Love that episode! Love that show.

Quote:
Granted, I don't think I'll ever be a size 2 again, and I wasn't healthy when I was at that weight, but its still sad to me.
I keep trying to get in a frame of mind where I appreciate what my body can do (pregnancy, nursing) and remind myself how much more important that is than a pair of pants I'd probably not like if they fit, but its hard. I find this to be one of the scariest aspects of having a daughter, wondering how I'll help her have a good body image.

Oops, she's up,
Old 01-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

Smithie-Yay! How exciting! Ro did that yesterday but pulled up on my on the floor-not quite the same. Your photo is really beautiful, btw.

gotta go
Old 01-15-2005, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, Smithie, that's cool. I notice your dh is playing Halo...is he on xbox live? Maybe our dhs can meet online sometime.

I put a cloth diaper on Rowan in the middle of the night and he slept better. I must be the only person in the world who can't make sposies work, even at night.
Old 01-15-2005, 03:41 PM

congrats, smithie! i too have links to my moving boobah.. mispelled, but there in my sig nonetheless!

i'm trying to blog a little every day. like many other blogs, it is a somewhat whiny reflection of my real life. feel free to skip it. but boobah is super cute, you definately want to see her!

Old 01-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Wow, standing and moving babies already! I don't think ds is anywhere near doing that.

Anyway, dh just snapped a picture of ds and me sitting here reading this very thread. I think ds looks particularly cute in it. Here it is: http://www.racerxill.com/DSCN1101.jpg
Old 01-15-2005, 06:11 PM

You are both particularly cute in that pic

Balancin, I your Xmas card! Love it love it love it. It is going in James' baby box with a notation about how I knew that baby's mama and see, other babies were licked all day by big dogs too!

I freakin' adore that swimsuit picture. I was scratching my neck when it was taken and I was mad that dh took it, but it sure did come out nice. You'll notice that my ass is not in frame I couldn't find another suit anywhere, that one is prepartum, and my ass hangs right out the back.

James wore FBs all night! I changed him at 5 a.m., which frankly sucked, but it might be worth it to get off the sposie train...
Old 01-15-2005, 06:14 PM

Awwww! What a cutie!

I've been placing my grocery order this morning... I forgot last week, and it sure effects how healthily we eat! Kevin went to Costco to stock up on coffe/canned goods/dry goods, and a bunch of convenience foods It's terrible!! Caitlin is laying on the floor shrieking at me... she's not CIO or anything, she's just figured out how to do the peircing, glass shattering shreik & she likes the reaction it gets. I've been shrieking back at her & now I'm questioning my judgement. Kevin won't have much tolerance for it! He's doing work for his mom today. Their furnace is squeaking & she called in a mad panic over it. Roland heard the conversation & he wanted to go with Kevin. He's been telling me that theres a monster in Grandoras furnace, and daddy is scaring it out with a stick. He's been interested in furnaces lately, because he hears our when it kicks on. I explained how furnaces work, but he's been interested in scary things/fear lately. A fire and a fan isn't exciting enough, I guess...

At it's worst, Caitlins skin was so weepy it actually dripped off her, but I was still told not to wash her unless absolutely neccessary. there is so much conflicting advice I don't know what to beleive. The booklet the dermatologist gave me has a list of triggers, and most of the foods I eliminated are on there... the DR. had told me the ND is a 'snake oil salesman' (I didn't believe him, people that feel the need to slander other treatment options are rarely educated on them) I think I'm going to try part of the diet again, and ass in a few new things. I think acidic/citrus might be at least part of the puzzle. Another thing it suggested might be triggers was pets/dustmites... I guess it really is a good thing we had the ducts cleaned & ripped out the carpetting!

Caitlins starting to look sleepy....

Old 01-15-2005, 06:27 PM

HBH- When my oldest was a baby she had these nasty patches of eczema all over her body. I was worse behind her knees, it would bleed. I had read both things when we were trying to figure out how to heal her. Some of the stuff said bathe daily and others say infrequently. We found that neither one really helped. Hers was really bad in the winter and still there but not too bad in the summer. Around 3 it went away. No real explanation. SHe still had really dry hand and face but the patches were gone. Last January we got a whole house water softner and now her dry skin is pretty much all gone now too. Good Luck!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Linda just pooped on the toilet for the first time! She didn't do it on her own; I've been having her sit there with a book at least once a day until she "produces" (she seems to like it, though) but at least she's getting the idea.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:02 PM

Yay Linda! Big girl now!

User Tag List