Sept 04 mamas! Happy New Year! Jan thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
[QUOTE=sept04mama]
Another question, all my friends IRL said that they only had to use breast pads for the first 4-6 weeks. I want to know if I'm the only one still using them?! I tried to go without once (on a plane, I know that was dumb) and ended up with a HUGE wet spot on my green shirt. So funny looking! So for those still using- what kind do you use & how often do you change?

QUOTE]

I'm still using those pads, too. I thought it would end after 4 weeks or so, but a lactation consultant told me that for some women it will continue for as long as you breastfeed. I've been using the Medela pads. They seem to be the best for me. Not sure how often I change them- just as needed.
#62 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 AM

Kinsey - I think it is more of a hard water issue (and a crappy washing machine) as opposed to the type of detergent since this is the same type of detergent I used before at a different house and never had any issues. As far as pads, I needed them with ds until he was about a year old, but have barely needed them this time - go figure... BTW, Miles is gorgeous!!!! Our babies are getting so big!!!

Jen - have you tried the Hylands C Plus Cold tabs? I really like those. Poor T, I hope he feels better soon. Would you take a pic of his knot doll? Lucy has really been gumming on any fabric she can get her hands on, and I think she would like one if I could see how you made it.

In NY, I found a store with quite a bit of HABA, so Lucy has a couple of new ones and TOTALLY prefers the wood to the plastic now. Won't really even have anything to do with it actually...The wood is so much more pleasing to the senses I think.
#63 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:39 AM

I've been just using breast pads when I go out. That's been just within the past 2 or 3 weeks. Though I leak at night sometimes when the babies sleep the whole night. I use a mixture of cloth hand=me-down pads, and am now on a box of thick Curity disposable pads. I was using disposables before of any brand, because I had a few boxes given to me as shower gifts.

McKenna was weighed and measured today -- 4 months and one week and still just 12 1/4 pounds. 23 inches. Pretty low on the percentage charts, though at her 2 month she was at about 36 percent. I noticed last month that she had been missing feedings because she would suck her thumb to sleep while I was tending to William, then I'd forget that she hadn't eaten yet and let her nap. Duh.
#64 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrog
then I'd forget that she hadn't eaten yet and let her nap. Duh.
Gosh Savannah, someone would think you were taking care of two babies... :LOL I'm impressed you manage to get dressed....
#65 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:59 AM

Thank you, Sarah! Though I DIDN'T manage to get dressed usually, until... FLY LADY! :LOL And I am loving my clean sink. And I'm finally able to muddle through that scary mountain of clean clothes that was hiding on the computer room futon. Just in the nick of time, too, because I found some really cute outfits the babies are about to outgrow!

I can't wait to share our newest pictures with you all, but I just can't take time yet to upload and post them... And I ended up liking the idea of making a photo birth announcement, so I went ahead and made my own using my Dad's Corel Draw program. I included them in the Christmas (New Years??) cards, and they are a real hit.

OK, off to fold more laundry.

P.S. Do any of you have experience with Happy Heinys pocket TRAINERS, for older kids? I just ordered 2 off the Trading Post for my 6 yo bedwetter. I'm hoping it helps him.
#66 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 02:25 AM

With my older daughter I had to wear nursing pads for a year and that totally sucked. My breast pads would be soaked after a few hours. This time I don't leak as much so I'm thinking I may not have to wear them for so long. I make my breast pads out of cloth diapers, they absorb a lot and I can make them as big as I want, since it seems breast pads in general are too small for my liking. I don't like my breasts to look like I have very poofy arieoles (sp?).
#67 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 03:00 AM

:LOL LOL at the poofy ariolas! How exactly do you make them? Do you just serge a circle of a CPF? I would be interested in knowing, since I'm sure everyone who looks my way can see the pads staring them in the face. (Well, I guess I'm not that tall, but YKWIM)

So I guess I'll just resign myself to wearing these forever- maybe I'll invest in wool and see how I like it.

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#68 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 04:27 AM

I don't have a serger so what I did (which I think is similiar) is to cut a circle in the CPF, and then zig zag stitched the edge, going just beyond the edge of the fabric. Is that similiar to serging? They really do work great, and they are very absorbent.
#69 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 AM

Happy New Year everyone! It's been so long since I've checked in. We were out West for the holidays. It was much nicer weather, but at times the In-laws were ....hmmm trying? I didn't realize the stress I was feeling until we got to the airport and I actually laughed for the first time in days. They are not bad as far as some in-laws go, but there is always the underlying tension of not being familiar with their ways and of course the 'helpful' advice they offer about the baby.

Angus is doing great. He is almost 15lbs now. We go to the doctor in a couple of weeks and will find out for sure then. We're not vaxing, so we haven't been for regular well-baby visits - well that and some scheduling issues with the doctor and then the holidays. All is well though.

I took a quick scan at recent posts and here's my 2 cents on breast pads. I just bought a bunch. For the first 2 months I rarely needed them now I need them most of the time. One night Angus slept 'too long' (is there such a thing? ) and I had to put a cloth diaper on my chest to absorb the leaking. I know nice image eh.

So, what else can I tell you? Angus is talking up a storm and is so interactive. It's so fun. He smiles and laughs and gurgles. Of course all patterns of sleeping, nursing and pooping are out the window after our travels, but I'm feeling good and even when I don't sleep I think - this is my job right now, so I'll respond to him and help him get what he needs.

Oh, biggest hit of the holiday season....I got a fleece hotsling! Yummy! It's the best. DH and I both use it. It's comfy and snuggly and warm and easy to use both inside and out. My Dad bought it for me after I had a bit of a meltdown cause I ruined fabric I had bought to make a new sling. My Dad is so helpful. He comes over every week or so to give me time to do my own thing. Sadly I have realized 'my own thing' is going to have to be just chilling for a while cause hard stuff like figuring out sewing projects just doesn't work.

I have tons of chocolate to work through from the holidays, so I think I will make that my project for a while. I'll admit thought I am a bit of a spastic horder. It's all so delicious that I want to keep it forever cause if I eat it it's gone. Yeah, I'm a freak! :LOL

Love and chocolate kisses to all of you. To anyone facing struggles be strong, it will change and you will get through it!
Cheers,
Julia
P.S. Off to read and catch up some now. Angus is still sleeping. It's so rare I actually get hands free to type, so I thought I would type first and read second.
#70 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 11:39 AM

I used breast pads with Christopher until he weaned at 16 months. I am using them with David as well. One night I forgot them. I had taken the previous pair out and forgot to put in a new set. We went to visit friends and I hadn't taken my jacket off. It is a good think I didn't. I noticed that I was feeling damp underneath my jacket. We got in the car to go home and I opened my jacket and half of the front of my t-shirt was damp!

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#71 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 01:29 PM

MamaAcorn & punkeymonkey....I live in Raleigh...glad to have some other Sept 04 moms nearby!
#72 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 05:55 PM

Anna just had her first jar of baby food carrots. She was quite pleased with it. She ate every bite and was so nice and neat. She doesn't have much tongue thrust left and managed to get through the entire jar without drooling it down her chin. She did get quite messy at the very end, though, when she decided it was thumb-sucking time with the last bite in her mouth.

I've never had a baby on baby food before. Emily started solids somewhat delayed because she was a boob-addict. She went straight to table foods. Nate was allergic to everything but his soy formula so he didn't get solids till he was over a year old. He's nearly 3 and still barely eats anything.

The decision to start food with Anna tore me up inside, but I think it's the right thing for HER. I'm so tired of the struggle to nurse, and had almost driven myself crazy recently when her formula needs went up by 4 more ounces per day. The pharmacy that compounded my first prescription of domperidone has stopped doing it, too, so I'm having to wait on some from New Zealand.

Dr. Newman (breastfeeding guru) recommended that we try starting babyfoods instead of increasing her formula by that extra bottle. I'm going to give it a shot, but I feel so odd feeding jars of carrots to my tiny 11 pound baby.

~L
#73 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 06:22 PM

I used breast pads the first time around for two years. Alex nursed for 3.5 years, so the last 18 months, I really didn't need to worry about it. I mainly use the MOE ones with fleece and a layer of PUL, which I like a lot. The only thing I don't like about them is that they aren't contoured, so they can bunch up a bit.

Those of you that have older kiddos, how are they reacting to the baby? Alex has ignored Jackson from the beginning. He rarely talks to him or pays any attention to him. The two pictures that I've snapped of them together was done with bribes (bad mama, I know). I'm beginning to wonder if he'll always ignore him or if there will be a time in the future when they will actually play together. Jackson already is in awe over Alex and is thrilled with any glance that Alex will give him.

Jackson is doing wonderfully! He's reaching and grasping things and playing with toys now.

I finally posted Jackson's birth story. I wrote it shortly after his birth, but had to let it sit for awhile before sharing it.

I better get back to work now. My wanna be chef dh is cooking and I want to be done with work before dinner is done.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

#74 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 06:26 PM

You know what, I think you just have to weigh the risks and benefits, and do what you think is right for your baby. Yes, it's hard for you to make the decision to give Anna baby food, but she seems to be taking it just fine, and you can avoid giving more formula than you're comfortable with.
I started my first on baby food at just under 3 months-shocking to me now, but I was 18 and didn't know anything about delaying solids or a lot of other things for that matter. He is just fine at 11 yo.
Of course I did it for a totally different reason than you, but the point is that Anna will be just fine.
#75 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 07:18 PM

I'm still using breast pads, although I don't know why. My milk supply has always been extremely low. I think I'll stop, there's no point. I'm beginning to notice them on the floor. They fall out. I couldn't imagine having that happen while I'm out and about!

Savannah – I read the post about poor Liam. I didn’t know he had passed though. My heart breaks for that family.

FeministFatale – I think that’s soooo cool about the palm thing. I didn’t even think to check ds. I will do it when he wakes up. Also, DH is getting a tattoo with ds’s name and birth date and the Chinese symbol for the year of the monkey. I like it so much, I’m thinking about getting the same one. It will be my first.

Cuddlemama – Breastfeeding has been a struggle for me as well. I can only manage to give ds a bottle of EBM a day. Some is better than none! He has decided not to nurse anymore. Believe me I tried, but he just doesn’t want it. It breaks my heart! I miss nursing. It’s just so unfair. I’ve been considering domperidone. Does it work really well? I am also going to discuss starting ds on solid food at his 4 month appt. next Monday.
#76 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 07:23 PM

Madyson (4 yr old dd) adores Makynzi and has from the moment she was born. She does get upset when she cries and makes sure to tell me that mommy your baby wants you! We went through some slight jealousy issues but Madyson was very good at vocalizing her feelings and seems to have moved past it.

I think we are going to start Makynzi on the rice cereal. She is already showing interest when we are eating and pulling away from the breast. Mommy milk just doesnt seem to be enough for her at the moment. I will mix the rice cereal with breast milk. So no flames from me. We all have to make the individual decision that is right for our child.
#77 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 07:56 PM

Link to a great VBAC article my dh emailed me

added my favorite article about starting solids, by Jack Newman
#78 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM

Jack started solids at about 4 months. With Lu I think I will wait a little longer. I've noticed with my second child, that I am not in the same rush for her to do new things. I want her to stay a baby!
#79 of 547 Old 01-06-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmon
I’ve been considering domperidone. Does it work really well?
When I used domperidone, it did increase my supply, but I have so few milk glands that it didn't really make enough difference in how much formula I was having to feed Tristan. It just made the few I have work like crazy, and I subsequently leaked all the time, but it still only would take T 3-5 mins to empty a breast.

So... it depends on your reason why you're having problems with lactation. If it's a prolactin problem, then domperidone should definitely work for you.

And I'm sorry your son is not interested in nursing that's the only comfort I take from this whole brouhaha with the SNS is that at some point, nursing will not be solely about nutrition.

The compounding pharmacy down the street from me will still dispense domperidone if you have a scrip from your doc. I seem to recall the web page asklenore.info having a list of compounding pharmacies in the US that will mail order.

ok, son is calling. xo, j.

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
#80 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Thanks for your well wishes to McKenna. Last night went great! No crying, no barfing.

Guess what? I just finished cleaning up two pukes -- she started again tonight! Only this time it's worse; because she puked the double-barrel worth of breast milk I had just fed her. I didn't really care about the 4 ounce bottle of soy formula she lost 2 nights ago; but the breastmilk --- thar's gold in them thar breasts! Ack.

To add insult, I realized today why she's been a screaming freak from 7-11 p.m. every night for almost 2 weeks... and why my milk supply is mysteriously dwindling lately... She's starving!!! I'm running on no sleep, really, and I guess a twin milk factory really does need to have more rest to operate at full capacity! So off to bed I go, and I'm hoping it's for a nice long while.

I guess I can't FLY as fast as I had hoped, LOL. Last night I stayed up til 3 a.m. folding the last bastion of clean laundry that had been hiding on my futon. I cannot believe how much there was!!!

---

Pam - Thank you for posting your birth story. It starts out nearly exactly like mine!!! I don't know if you're at peace with the interventions you received, but reading it from the outside where I am, it really does sound like it went quite well overall. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a birth center near me! I had no choice but to have monitors strapped to me and an IV dripping, even though the babies were READY TO COME NOW... (I also could have just had them on my toilet at 4:15 in the morning)

Sarah, I am with you on wanting to keep the babies little longer than with my first. Nicolas was sitting up unassisted by now.
#81 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 02:43 AM

Thanks for the info Jen. I don't know the reason why I have a very low supply. I just always have. I tried frequent nursings. I take tons of Fenugreek, eat oatmeal, drink lots of water. I even tried a beer. Hopefully this last thing will help.
#82 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 06:24 AM

No judgements here about starting your babe on soilds. Every bab is different and mama knows best.

Savannah, I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My friend sent me an email about her situation and what she is going thourgh right now...I used to work for CPS and she thought I may have some advice to offer her.

Thanks for posting the info about the VBAC. I have hope that my next birth will be a HBAC.

I sometimes worry about my supply lowering. I have no reason to worry, but Desi's doctor keeps on putting a seed of doubt in my mind. We're changing doctors. I'm a bit nervous because the other doctor was okay with us not vaxing. I don't know how this doctor feels.
#83 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 11:19 AM

With Christopher, I started solids a week before he turned 5 months old. He would constantly watch us as we ate. With David having reflux, I am thinking I might wait a little longer. He is already doing much better since starting the Zantac. I am not changing my shirt 3 times a day. I still need to find a Pediatric Chiro for him. The tough part is convincing DH to spend more money on a Chiro. He already complains about my Chiro visits.

Christopher was put out with David the first two weeks that he was at home and then all of the sudden he was kissing him and trying to give him toys. Lately we have been going through a jealousy phase. He throws a tantrum if I pick up David and then can't pick him up right then and there. I hope he will get over it soon.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#84 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 01:35 PM

Happy Friday! Tomorrow is going to be my first day of snowboarding. I can't believe I held out this long, but I just felt happy to hang with my little lady. DH is going to stay home with her while I go, I am looking forward to it! Hope the snow is good!

Haven't needed breast pads for a while, maybe two months. Although I did have to do the cloth diaper in bed thing once or twice when Nessa slept real long.

Jen, I meant to mention in my last post that I am a Cake fan as well, and I also got the new album for Christmas. Also, I just heard of a folk remedy for congestion that I am waiting to try, another mama recently told me she tried it and it worked great on her little one. Before bed wet some socks with warm water, put on baby and cover up with wool booties. Apparently the energy it takes to dry up the feet pulls the congestion down or something, not really sure how it works, but she swore by it. She said in the morning the socks and booties were all dry.

I can't believe the solids are starting! Mel, you know what you have to do, don't worry about making the best decision for Anna. Nessa is starting to really watch us eat. The interest is beginning, but I think I've got lots of time. She has been really getting into our drinks, grabbing and pulling the glass or cup (or beer bottle!) to her mouth. She loves the cold feeling. Last night I let her try a sip of water, I think she was surprised with what she got, cute.

OK, better run. Diaper laundry to do before our outing for the day. Oh yes, we just got our first FuzziBunz and am I ever feelin the love! Those things are sweet!

-Sheryl

Mama to DD 8 blahblah.gif and  3rdtri.gif EDD 5/21/13 joy.gif

#85 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Savannah, I'm really sorry to hear about your friend.

Breastpads: I use disposables if I'm going to be out of the house for a while. Other than that I use cloth ones that I got a Wal-Mart. :

Ok, moms, I need some reassurance...I went to pedi yesterday for Kate's 4 month appt. She is 25% in weight, 75% in height, and 8% in head circumference!!! What is that??? She went down from 10%...why is her head so small? My pedi says not to worry about it b/c her head is growing, but why is it so small with respect to other babies? Should I be worried? Does anyone know if that means anything? I tend to be a bit obsessive and it's driving me crazy!! HELP!!!
#86 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 PM

Stacey...my girl's #s have always been like that.They are long and skinny. They just have nice small almost perfectly shaped heads. My pediatricians have never been worried so I wouldnt worry if I were you. I dont know if that helps but maybe it offers you some reassurance.
#87 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 03:47 PM

I haven't needed breast pads. My supply was pretty much regulated from the beginning after Arowen. It's so unlike after my first when I would have hard, engorged breasts and spontaneous let down where I'd drip all over the floor. My body is pretty much a pro at breastfeeding now I guess, it knows the right amount to make. I never feel full, but it's always there enough for her and the number of wet cloth diapers shows she's getting plenty. I tell you, it's nice this way because I'm not as suseptible to plugged ducts and mastitis as I used to be. Mastitis is horrible.

Arowen seems to be drooling a lot and spitting up more than she used to. It's a pretty wet time. She's always chewing on her hands too. I'm not planning on starting her on solids for a while, she seems to be doing just fine on bm.

Does anyone else's baby have a bald spot at the back, or am I the only one who's probably used the baby bucket, etc, too much? :
#88 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 04:29 PM

What's the baby bucket? Are you referring to the carseat? :LOL Kate has a bald spot and a thick patch of hair right under it, but we don't use her car seat. She hates it!

Thanks, punkeymonkeymom! That makes me feel LOADS better.
#89 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 05:21 PM

wardermom - dd has a big bald spot on the back of her head...and that's a shame b/c it's the only place she had hair she rubs her head back & forth all the time whether she's in a car seat, in the pack-in-play, on the floor...everywhere!
#90 of 547 Old 01-07-2005, 06:08 PM

Greetings All!

Hi Julia. It's good to hear from you. I was just wondering how you were doing the other day.

Let's see if I can remember everything.

Breast pads.
I only use Lana wool pads since Jack was born. LOVE THEM!!! I wore pads with Tori for at least 6+ months. Basically the whole time while I was working part-time. I had an awesome supply back then. Once I stopped working I would only wear them out and about JIC for a couple of months. I think I stopped at about 10 months? Tori nursed for 2.5+ years. I still had to sometimes put a little pressure against the other breast when I'd feel the letdown to keep from leaking. I was nice and "full" most of the time until I got pregnant with Jackson at 16 months. My supply started quickly taking a massive nose-dive after that. It got really painful to nurse too. I'm not sure if the soreness was caused by the pregnancy or the lack of supply OR if the lack of nursing caused the supply dip that caused the soreness... you know that vicious cycle of cascading factors. Anyways, I used Lansinoh pads most of the time with Tori, a friend gave me her box of Johnson&Johnson pads... I still have about half a box of those left but haven't used them since discovering wool. Do they go bad? Anyways, I started using the wool ones after Jack was born. I used them for about 5 months mainly at night and if we went out. I didn't have nearly as good a supply with Jack, even with Tori tandem nursing for at least 6 months (only 1-2 times a day) I started using them with Aidan right after he was born. I stopped using them all the time about 2-3 weeks ago. I do use them when we go out. JIC. I really don't want to have a wet front anymore than necessary. I have two pairs and I just alternate them when one starts to feel a bit damp, swap and let it dry out. I wash them every couple of weeks if need be. I have a pair of XS and Small and let me tell you... Small is still HUGE. :LOL I only use those at night, they are too big for my bra for going out and about and I'm a C-D cup too. It's amazing how big 6" across really is. :LOL

Starting solids, I delayed until at least 10+ months with both Tori and Jack. I'd like to do the same with Aidan if possible. EBM diapers are soooo much nicer. :LOL

Savannah-
So sorry to hear about your friend.

Aidan has started spitting up some. Usually right after a good hefty burp. Right on my shoulder. He's also started "skooching" around on the floor. You know that you never actually SEE them move but they aren't in the same place if you walking away for a second or two. :LOL It's funny to see his personality really starting to take shape.

He's got Jack's chuckle when he's tickled. He loves to have his neck tickled. And he's starting to anticipate a lot. He's such a smiler just like Jack.

Does anyone else's baby have a non-verbal conversation with you while they are nursing? Aidan sits there and "talks" with his eyes and eyebrows He's started "talking" wiith his mouthfull too lately. Mmmm, uummmm, mm, uummm um mmmfst. :LOL

Aidian has a bit of a bald spot on the very back of his head. He likes to rub his head back and forth against stuff whether he is being held or in the swing/bucket/bassinet. (Tori did that too). Poor thing doesn't have a whole lot of hair to start with. I swear he was born with David's slightly receeding hairline.

About growth percentiles. It's my understanding that it really doesn't matter what they are as long as there isn't a sudden dramatic drop or change in percentiles. Like going from 65% down to 15%. YK? Try not to worry, I know its hard.

Pam-
Thank you for sharing your birth story. I still need to finish writing Aidan's.

Well, Tori had a sore throat last weekend and now Jack is sick. He has that lovely 65 year old smokers phlemy cough. Poor sweetie. He's in good spirits but sounds awful. His nose is a little crusty too. And the weather dropped back down into the 30s again. It was in the 70-80s at the beginning of the week. : : I wish it would make up its mind, everyone keeps getting sick because of the constant changes. :

Okay Jack needs a nap and Aidan keeps drifting off in my arms, so its nap time for him too. Wonder if I'll be able to get Miss DramaQueen to take a nap?? Off to try. Will try to post again later.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page