Sept 04 mamas! Happy New Year! Jan thread - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2005, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Leomom-I'm assuming that's what it means. I've heard that term here, so I used it, maybe correctly. Anyway, it's not just there that Arowen has lost her hair, it's also on the floor, on the bed, in the exersaucer, etc. Anyway, I feel very guilty for not holding her more.
She's crying now, and the other kids have just gone out to play in the snow, so I'd better go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 08:36 PM

I was just going to ask about the bald spot too. Jack was a baldie, so I never noticed it before. Lucy has it too, but she is barely ever in the car seat and she usually sleeps on her stomach. Wonder why she has it?

About the sock thing, that is recommended in my Dr Mom's Natural Guide, it supposedly kicks the immune system into overdrive. I've wanted to try it, but don't have any wool socks. Where to get them for little ones??
Old 01-07-2005, 10:58 PM

hi guys! i'm nak, of course.

savannah, my heart is breaking for your friend. i'm sorry your girl is having a tough time. s

sarah, thank you so much for that link on solids. i found it very interesting.

i think i started noah on solids around 4.5 mos. he pretty much refused baby food though. he wasn't interested until he could pick things up and feed himself. his early faves were cheerios, avocado, and later beans and cheese.

i must admit i have kind of a fascination with feeding babies. i have no idea why but it just seems kind of fun to me. i was bummed when noah wasn't into it. lilah won't even be 4 mos til feb 1st though and i think i'll hold off for as long after that as i can stand it. we'll see how it goes.

lilah "talks" a lot but she doesn't have anything i would describe as actual words. but she looooves to make sounds and have us make them back to her.

julia, glad you're back!

sheryl, hope you have a great time tomorrow snowboarding!

pam, i'm going to read your birth story next. thanks for posting a link to it!

okay off to do that now,

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
Old 01-07-2005, 11:09 PM

just read it pam! if you have another baby in nc i've got a great homebirth midwife to recommend! also, are you planning to go to the nc diaper party? i'm thinking of it if the date works for us.

oh, i forgot to answer how noah is doing these days as big brother. he is (and has been since lilah's birth) very interested in lilah. he has always liked babies though. not so much baby dolls, but real live babies have always interested him. he's still into her and (mainly) very sweet to her. i feel grateful to him for this and really hope it continues. i think she's so lucky to have an older brother! as far as tantrums and general behavior, he is doing a lot better these days though we still have our moments. such is life.

really going now,

Old 01-08-2005, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

mel - the beer does it for me, I usually have a great (for me, anyway - it might bump me up from 1/4 or 1/2 to a whole ounce) supply after a beer. It's comparable to what the domperidone did for me, and it costs a whole lot less and is more fun to "take" :LOL

samantha - T 'talks with his mouth full' too.

Sheryl I hope you had fun fun fun on the slopes. We have had a grand total of 2.5 inches of snow here and the prospects for a big snowfall are pretty slim. I have not yet been rollerblading this winter (at the metrodome, they open up the concourses for rollerblading) and I miss it something fierce. Just think a year ago minus a few weeks I was training for an inline half marathon, ha ha ha!

And a year ago around now I was sicker than a dog, bleah. Glad to not be *there* anymore.

Tristan has a bald spot where his head rests when he sleeps.

And tonight at dinner we gave him a baby spoon to play with. He had a great time sticking it in his mouth except for the times he gagged himself.

Off to go be social, MIL is here from Texas!

j

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 01-08-2005, 12:47 AM

Samantha, I just discovered today that William laughs if his neck is tickled, too! And he is also starting to "skooch". He moves counterclockwise, LOL. This week he also started lifting his butt off the ground when he's on his tummy, like a bear on his toes and elbows. Strong little dude.

William's bald, but does have a little balding. McKenna's is much more noticeable. She is like a skunk head; dark brown long hair on her neck and a tiny circle on the tippy top of her head from birth; then strawberry blonde hair in a ring between them, and as her "equator" she has a bald stripe.

My babies aren't in my arms much at all, unfortunately. I'll bet I nurse lying down 85 percent of the time, cradle hold about 13 percent, and tandem football 2 percent. The awake time they're usually on the floor, bed, play mat, or in their car seats, swing, exersaucer or bouncy chair while I play home school teacher or try to do house chores. Actually it's usually that one is "playing" while I am feeding or diapering the other. It's not often they both are awake and active at the same time lately... (No wonder I'm so tired!) I still haven't tried slinging both at once; I barely know how to do one at a time.

Off to put my wild boy to bed and nurse McKenna. William went down about 10 minutes ago.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 AM

Desmina is sleeping finally. Today she was extra fussy. I gave her some teething medicine and that helped a bit.
She did not want to nurse today. I was worried taht my supply has dwindled and she was getting frustrated, but she is having wet diapers still. I'm just so used to her nursing every hour I guess. Maybe she is stopping.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 AM

I forgot to mention that Lu rolled over front to back on New Year's day. No more leaving her on the couch I guess!

I nominate myself as "mother of the day" since I cussed at my poor ds today. He woke Lucy up for the millionth time (she has become the queen of the 20 minute nap as it is). Nothing makes me feel more embarrassed or humiliated than realizing that someone less than 35 pounds and younger than most of my shoes can push my buttons so effectively. Oh well, its all in the balance, right?

All this talk of solid foods inspired me to pick up my copy of Super Baby Food and I happened to reread the section on nitrates. I think a while back someone mentioned not to make your own of certain things (like carrots) because of them, but the AAP says that that is just for babies under seven months. At seven months you don't have to worry about the nitrates anymore.

I'm happy because Lucy is strong enough now for me to carry her on my hip in the sling (the easiest way to sling I think) and that has made life a little easier. Her teeth are driving her so crazy, it is the only way I can keep her happy right now.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:00 AM

LaRue has many different bald spots. Well, not quite bald spots, more like thinning spots. She has some places where she has long hairs and lots of other places where she has short hair, it's quite an interesting look she has going for her.

LaRue has also been skooching. The other day I put her on her activity mat while I got Chloë some food. When I came back she had turned herself 180 degrees. I asked Chloë if she moved her (since I wasn't away for THAT long), but she said she didn't and got quite a kick out of her moving herself. Chloë gets very excited about all the new things LaRue is doing. Her big thing is catching LaRue's "first word." Every day she comes to me all excited saying "LaRue said her first word, it was agba!" or some other "word" to that effect. It's so funny. Last night LaRue said something close to "blue" so that is now her official first word according to Chloë.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:14 AM

Oh, I forgot to ask, does anybody else's baby seem to be sleeping more now than when s/he was a newborn? When LaRue was a newborn she slept a lot but not as much as Chloë had slept. Now she sleeps so much. She's been going to sleep at 7pm and waking up at 9:30am (though she does nurse a few times, but we are both asleep, I know I have nursed only because my boob is hanging out). And she sleeps so much during the day now too. She's awake for about an hour and a half then sleeps for a half hour, then is asleep again after another hour and a half. But if we are home she sleeps even more since then she is laying in bed instead of being in the sling and in and out of her car seat (since we are normally on the go). I know that she is going through a growth spurt so that may be why she is sleeping so much more. She outgrow her 0-3 mo. clothes about 2 weeks ago and looks like she is going to outgrow her 3-6 mo. clothes in a few more weeks. She is a chubby thing, but not too lengthy, though she is obviously working on that.
Old 01-08-2005, 03:38 AM

So it was hard to do, since I think hes way too young, but we gave Miles his first haircut last night. He looks so much older! He looks like a little boy instead of a 3 month old. Off with the mullet!

Leomom- DS is also always way smaller on the head cir. than the rest as well. The doctor said that the only time to worry is when the head is too big. Its just kind of funny because hes proportioned more like an adult than a baby.

Wardermom- DS also has a bald, well I guess more of a thinning spot on the back of his head, and he is pretty much in-arms or upright all the time except bed, so who knows? It looks a lot better now though with the haircut, since it blends in more and his neck hair is gone. I cut like 3 inches off that little neck!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 01-08-2005, 04:26 AM

My ds also has a bald spot. I freaked out when I saw his precious hair on his blanket. He's got half the hair he was born with! He's talking up a storm too. Loves the m's and has started with the b's. His facial expressions are hilarious.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:05 PM

I just have to say... I love you, ladies!!

I'm back from our long trip, and it took me forever to catch up on all the posts, but I have to say it is so consoling to read this thread and know that I and my baby are normal, and that we are all going through the same things!

I'm so glad we're talking about Flylady. I just discovered her right before we left, and am doing my nighttime routine so far. It really helps!

Jen - CAKE. Aren't they that band that sings, "He's going the distance - he's going for SPEED.." I saw them for the first time on Conan O'Brien (I think) in 1998 and they were dressed like cowboys and stayed really still and deadpan while they performed their song, and it just totally cracked me up!

Our trip was partly good, and mostly awful! The good news is, we made it through 4 airport security checkpoints without being molested by the TSA. Boy, was I happy to hear that news story a few days after we arrived that said the TSA will no longer be feeling womens' breasts after more than 400 complaints.

We went to Las Vegas for one night before Phoenix. Alex was a total angel on the flight, not a peep outta him. Ate, slept, played, rode in the sling as I walked the aisle and smiled at all the passengers. People kept saying, "What a good baby!" The weather in Vegas was so nice (it was -4 in Peoria when we left that morning). We stayed at the Mandalay and took a walk outside at their beautiful pool area. Then dh watched Alex for 1 1/2 hours while I went to the spa - heaven! Sat in the giant jacuzzi for ever, then lounged on a chair with snacks & a Vogue magazine - my first alone time in 3 1/2 months! Then we had a fabulous dinner at an expensive restaurant, and Alex was an angel again. Boy, was I getting lucky! He slept that night for 4 & 5 hour stretches! He retained his reputation as Champion Baby Traveller the next morning on the flight to PHX, and then everything went to hell....

When we got to my Mom's house - it was a mess, total squalor! She must be very depressed, she's had a tough year, and my grandpa died in May. The problem was that we had dh's family coming over in a few days from CA! So, me and dh busted our asses doing "Extreme Makeover" on the house before they arrived. It was exhausting and stressful! Then I got suddenly and violently ill. I was vomiting every 15-20 minutes and had diarrhea at the same time. It got so bad my Mom and dh called the paramedics. I thought I had food poisoning. The medics said my symptoms seemed viral, and that I was better off riding it out at home than going to the hospital. It was torture - I've never been so sick in my life! Then 24 hours later dh got it, then 24 hours after that, my Mom got it. So, it must have been viral. Luckily, Alex never got it, or we really WOULD have been at the hospital. Anyway, dh's family arrived and everything went well for 4 days. Then dh and I got sick again! This time head colds with fevers. I am actually still sick, but on the mend. The flights home were delayed due to bad weather. Alex was good to Vegas, but then finally had a meltdown on the flight to Peoria. Now, he is sick with the head cold. Poor little guy! I was up all night last night with him crying, coughing, sneezing, & snuffling.

I am so glad you guys posted about your babies talking! I thought I was crazy, because Alex has said "yeah," "hi," and "Muh-muh," and I kept it to myself until dh told me today that he has heard him say "hi" and "muh-muh" several times. He also did a 180 roll the other day, and has rolled over a few times, and last night he put his teething ring to his mouth all by himself for the first time. Alex is really big, also. Most of my family at Xmas said he looks like a six month old. He's around 17 lbs.

All right, gotta get a shower while he swings!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:19 AM

Mamas I am so excited about trading! I started off yesterday thinking that I would like some cute AIO diapers, etc so that I had a couple of nice ones to wear out and about. So I put up a list of a bunch of stuff I've got around the house that I don't want and lo and behold, I just might end up with enough "fancy" dipes for every day.
Plus a Girasol!!!

Now if I could just figure out how to trade for rent and groceries.....
Old 01-09-2005, 04:11 AM

OK, what's a Girosol?

Hey, can you use a bed sheet as a wrap sling, at least to practice? I've been curious, but not enough to try it... (Actually, when in the world do you find time to sling these little boogers??)

I need to check out the trading area again. I went overboard before and was keeping away... Hey, I just ran across a Fuzzibunz distributor who is selling me two seconds colors with inserts for $15!! Woo hoo! I was just thinking it was time to buy some nice new medium night dipes for the babies...

Sistermama, trading sure gives great incentive to FLY doesn't it?? I wonder what I'll find in the next Fling Boogie that might be trade-able...

ACK! I just noticed the time. I must go get sleep. Did I mention I figured out why McKenna has screamed nearly every night from 7-10 p.m. or later?? Because I was exhausted and I wasn't making enough milk at the end of the day. I had been going to bed at 2 or 3 a.m. and not getting any naps.

WHERE IS CAROLINE??? She was supposed to come to my town and visit. Pooh.
Old 01-09-2005, 12:04 PM

Sarah, I wanted to give you a big for your bad day, when was it friday? These toddlers can be so trying! And then the guilt, oh that is the worse part.

Savannah, 2 or 3 am???? I would not be able to function on that little sleep!

Old 01-09-2005, 08:16 PM

some semi-recent pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?...MWzFFg&notag=1

Old 01-09-2005, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

chrissy.. is noah licking her on that one picture?!! They're cute! I can't get over Noah's eyes!!

Although I do believe that the FLYlady has a good idea, I think that her methods are too much for a mom of a baby. I'll be damned if I am not going to put my feet up and take a snooze when my baby is napping, shoes or no. Sure, our housekeeping has suffered since T arrived, but heck, it sure wasn't great before he got here, either! We have too much furniture in a small house. And Jo tends to hoard. But we're working on it.

That being said, I did clean my sink

Savannah, you want to share the tip on the FuzziBunz? T is outgrowing his, his legs are just getting too darn chunky!!!

My MIL's visit has been good. T has not slept well today, though, and I'm going to go lay down and have a nap because I have a headache...

: mama to T 9/04 and E 11/08
Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 PM

Chrissy, Lilah and Noah are so cute! I am planning on going to the CD party on the 29th at Holli's. Hope to see you there! I'm already trying to convince dh of a homebirth next time around, but he's gonna take a lot of convincing. I had to talk him into the birthcenter as it was. Any advice or reading recommendations for homebirth that I could use to convinve him?

I am absolutely crazy. On top of working and taking care of the boys, I'm starting to teach another series of childbirth classes this week. It's just Wednesday nights for two hours, so not really that big of a deal. I plan on keeping Jackson with me while I teach, which should be easy enough since I teach out of my home. So, since I have pregnant couples coming to sit on my floor in a few days, I've been going on a cleaning binge! My living room has never been so clean before. I even moved all the furniture to vacuum under it!

Jackson can't get enough of chewing on my fingers. He's become a thumb sucker as well. Oh, and speak of the little guy... He's now awake and wants to be held. I'll try to post again later.

Pam

Mama to ds 11, ds 7, dd 5, dd 2, and dd born on 6/17/12!

Old 01-10-2005, 12:03 AM

I don't know how you guys get so much done! If I haven't mentioned this yet, ds is super fussy. Mothers who thought their babies were fussy realize how lucky they were after meeting my son! We're totally in love with him, of course, but are wondering how we're going to survive his babyhood. He is a happy baby, thankfully, but only because dh and I spend almost every moment tending to him. High needs- I think that's the politicallly correct term...

On another note, and maybe this should be directed towards Jen since she's mentioned homeopathy before, but has anyone heard of or read Homeopathic Medicine for Children and Infants by Dana Ullman? I'm looking to use homeopathy more with ds and am looking for a good book.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:48 AM

Hi everyone!

Chrissy, your babies are so precious.

Can you guys give me some flying with baby tips? I know it's been discussed before, but I have no idea which thread it's on. It's a short, 45 minute trip. What do I need to know??? TIA, a million times over.

On another note, last week I started watching the baby of one of my very close friends while she's at work. Hannah is 4 weeks older that Kate. I am concerned b/c our parenting styles are VERY different. They let her cry herself to sleep in her crib on a daily basis!!!! I really feel she has abandonment issues. I refuse to let her cry it out for naps at my house, but I find that she is so used to it that she can't go to sleep without crying for a bit, even if it's in my arms. Does anyone have any experience in nurtturing a child who hasn't really been nurtured from the beginning? I want to help her to feel loved, etc. and any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. I've been slinging her and playing with her, etc. but she is resisting b/c she isn't used to it. It just breaks my heart for her.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom

Can you guys give me some flying with baby tips? I know it's been discussed before, but I have no idea which thread it's on. It's a short, 45 minute trip. What do I need to know??? TIA, a million times over.

We just flew with our son. It looks like your air time is really short. The best advice I could give would be to make sure she's eating/sucking on the take-off and landing to help her ears equalize with the changing air pressure. My ds is really fussy, so we did breastfeeding (even took the breastfeeding pillow on board with us) and also had a back-up bottle, pacifier, or if all else failed, dh's finger. Because ds is so fussy, we ended up using all of those, but it worked and there were no episodes of air pressure problems.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tori

Breast pads.
I only use Lana wool pads since Jack was born. LOVE THEM!!!

Thanks for recommending these! I think we've spent about $60-70 on Medela pads since ds was born. I've tried the cotton ones they sell but was very dissatisfied. I can't wait to try these!
Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I want to help her to feel loved, etc. and any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. I've been slinging her and playing with her, etc. but she is resisting b/c she isn't used to it. It just breaks my heart for her.
What a caring person you are! I don't have any tips for you, but you just made me feel all warm and lovey inside.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:18 AM

LOL I too was posting just to ask why Noah is licking the baby...
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 AM

Jen, her user name is Heket. She just got a few seconds in.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:35 AM

Quote:
On another note, last week I started watching the baby of one of my very close friends while she's at work. Hannah is 4 weeks older that Kate. I am concerned b/c our parenting styles are VERY different. They let her cry herself to sleep in her crib on a daily basis!!!! I really feel she has abandonment issues. I refuse to let her cry it out for naps at my house, but I find that she is so used to it that she can't go to sleep without crying for a bit, even if it's in my arms. Does anyone have any experience in nurtturing a child who hasn't really been nurtured from the beginning? I want to help her to feel loved, etc. and any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated. I've been slinging her and playing with her, etc. but she is resisting b/c she isn't used to it. It just breaks my heart for her.
That breaks my heart too!! You are such a good person. I'd let you watch my ds anytime and I don't say that to just anyone!
Old 01-10-2005, 09:39 AM

:LOL yep, he's licking her all right. i had forgotten about that! he likes to lick, weird guy that he is!

oh, just have to add the woman in those pics is my MIL. i can't stand the thought that anybody might think that is me. :

stacey, that is a lucky baby to have you watching out for her! just keep doing what you're doing!

off for my early morning walk so i can keep eating as much chocolate as i can find!

Old 01-10-2005, 11:41 AM

:LOL Chrissy, I totally know where you're coming from! I wondered for a split second if that was you and then decided definitely not!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:35 PM

msrog -

I think a sheet would be too thick for a wrap, unless you cut it up and sewed thinner strips out of it. T-shirt material is good, but kind of expensive. If you go to your local fabric shop (or Walmart), they'll have sale fabric often for $2 a yard (you'll need 5, but it will often make 2 wraps). Something will a little give, but not too much is ideal.

I just made a wrap for myself out of some material I bought at the thrift store, and it really is comfy, but it takes a little time to figure out how loose/tight to tie it.

User Tag List