Mothering Forum banner

Sept 04 mamas! Happy New Year! Jan thread

12K views 546 replies 38 participants last post by  MamaAcorn 
#1 ·
Welcome to all Sept 04 Due Date clubbers and all mamas with Sept 04 babies!

Lynsey... would you care to do the roll call honors?

#152 ·
Granted, I am new to cloth diapering, but I thought the best way was to dry pail them, not wet pail? It sounds messy to me.

I have our changing table right next to our bed in our bedroom and the can (a tall kitchen trash can with the pedal at the bottom to open the lid) is dry. I just use a regular kitchen trash bag to line it, and I've never had a problem with any kind of smell. My diapers don't smell after they're washed either. I just throw the dirty diapers into the can, and then wash a load every day or every other day by putting them into the machine with detergent for a cold 15 minute pre-soak then wash cycle. Then I wash them one more cycle on hot with a tiny bit of soap. I also keep my cloth wipes (dry) on the table and squirt them when it's time to use them with water I keep in a peri bottle on the table. I toss my dirty wipes in the can with the diapers and they go through the machine with them. As for being out on the road, I use the bottle-pocket of my diaper bag for a peri bottle filled with water to wet down wipes when needed.

I just wanted to show you all the Christmas present we got for Alex. It's a really cool swing and he LOVES it. It's great because it has a very big seat that they can lay/sleep in. And he loves the birds and bugs that spin on the top. He just looks at them and giggles. And it makes music and nature noises. I highly recommend it!

Nature's Touch Baby Papasan Swing

#154 ·
Link is in my sig, click on Tristan's name!

Starting in the middle of page 9:

Tristan's first trip on a train
Christmas at my sister's
showing off new grasping and shaking techniques or Baby Power! Power to da babies!

page 10: my sis, Jo's aunt Janice (met us at Union Station), more train shots of T's chunk-o legs! (those small fuzzi bunz are gettin' real tight real fast!), my friend Cheryl with her new baby Estella!!!! (would be the little baby with the insane dark hair), T and my pal Robin and with his grandma Young, first adventures with a spoon, kissing mommy Jo, and modeling the sweater I made him last April!!

page 11: the best darn photo I've ever taken of him!!

#156 ·
Jen - I think he looks like you in that page 11 picture. I love the sweater, too. Our babes are getting so big!

I am in love with trading. I started off this round with the hopes of getting enough AIOs for outings. With my latest trade I am getting 5 bumkin AIOs and 12 custom made fleece AIOs!!!!!! Add that into the 7 fuzzi bunz from another trade and the 3 I already had - I'm looking at full time AIOs!!! Can't give up pinning all the time though, I love a woolie butt too much for that...

#159 ·
Yep, thats definitely your sister Jen.
And a pretty darn cute little boy on page 11!

Stacy
We've only used a dry pail for diapers. The clean wipes are wet in the warmer but that's it. I use the washing machine to do a soak wash.

Welcome Birdland.
Pull up a chair and post a bit.

Okay everyone's in bed so I need to try to get a few things done.

#160 ·
Well both of the girls are sleeping momentarily so I wanted to take a minute to tell you mama's I admire you so much. I have such a struggle with the 2 I have some days. I dont know how all of you do it. Savannah, you are doing a wonderful job with the twins and your oldest too. Really I guess I am addressing this to all of you ladies. (I would list names individually but it would take forever to search through the thread, Savannah's name sticks out because of the twins.) I am new here but you all have welcomed me and are always willing to offer a word of advice. Its funny I always thought that the second one would be so easy but so far it has presented just as many challenges just of a different nature. I guess my point is just to say that we have a great group of mama's here!

#161 ·
Welcome, Birdland!
:

Wow, Sarah! What are you trading for all of these diapers? You must have some good stuff to trade!

Jen, that pic on page 11 is adorable!!

Stacy, I loved that swing! We have an older cradle swing that was given to us, which is great, too, but I was hoping for that one!

I'm so excited!
I just bought a KKACP!
I saw one listed on the TP and went to their site to check out sizing info. I'd looked months ago but never decided on one. I was bummed tonight because I found a fabric I liked for the cotton pouch (it's just too hot here for fleece!), but it wasn't available in my size.
So, for grins, I checked out the instock page, where most were either size small or snapped for the left shoulder.
Then at the bottom I found it! And instock denim pouch, snapped for the right, in my size!
Yay for Christmas money!

#162 ·
Well, T and I are up. It was an ok night's sleep, only one feeding but several whimpery stirs. I always wake up for those and put my hand on him... or perhaps better said he always wakes me up because he insists on snuggling into my armpit at night. I wonder... if I put him in the co-sleeper and he has those whimpery wakings, will he learn to self-calm, or will he just wake up?

Jo's "aunt and uncle" (actually best friends of her mom, but they've played a significant role in her life since her fam moved to TX) are coming up from the Dallas area tomorrow... when the high temp is supposed to be -1! And Friday should be -8! I have a feeling we won't be getting out much. They've never lived further north than Maryland, and Jo's aunt is a bayou girl, born and raised in Cajun country. Hope they weren't planning on seeing much beyond the inside of our house!!

Thanks for the compliments on my cutie

going to see if Mr. T here wants to maybe doze a bit before Jo's alarm clock goes off. Otherwise I'm going downstairs to rustle up some coffee.

#163 ·
Heather, That so exciting. I got a KKAFP for a Christmas present from my FIL! I love it, and so does Jackson!

Jen, T is adorable! That's an awesome shot on page 11!

Hi Birdland! Welcome to MDC!

I was defininitly having a stressful day yesterday. I had a ton of work to do, and I'm still on my cleaning the house fit. Top that off with a 3-year-old who was very into making messes and not cleaning them up yesterday, a baby that would not nap, and my dh who put off his work all weekend so he could play some stupid computer game. At least today starting out better already with me being the only one awake at the moment. I love it when that happens.

Jackson hasn't been sleeping as well at night lately. He wakes up crying, rather than barely even coming out of a slumber to bf like he used to. He's been doing this for the last 4-5 nights now, so it isn't isolated, like I was hoping. Teething maybe?

Well off to enjoy a nice hot shower before the chaos begins!

#164 ·
Hi Mamas!

It's been awhile since I posted-I have a hard time finding time to get to the boards. Teaching and having a little one is tough. I'm needing to just leave my schoolwork at school, but there's sooo much to do. Maybe it will get easier...or...hopefully some day I'll be able to stay home like many of you lucky ducks!

Jen, I saw the pictures of Tristan. He is adorable! I love the sweater!

Miles is well. He laughed for the first time Monday

My 5 minutes are up-must go get some breakfast!

#166 ·
This has got to be teething. I'm up every 2-3 hours, either for a full feed (usually) or some comfort nursing. Of course, Arta decided at 3:30 that she just wanted to snack on her hands - listened to her laughing at ??? for about an hour and then decided that the only way I'd get any sleep was if I brought her to bed and got her settled down. It worked! And she slept deeply enough that she didn't wake me up for a couple of hours (she sleeps so LOUDLY it's hard to cosleep for more than a nap, for me).

Then, at 9 this morning, an odd thing happened - she started to fall asleep in her activity gym! She'd only been playing in it for about 5 minutes, when I noticed that she had stopped moving, and her eyes were starting to close. Then I brought her up to bed.

It's good she felt comfortable enough to get herself to sleep, but now I'm wondering if she's sick! Aaah, will the worrying ever end!

#167 ·
Hi!

Dropping in to say hello - been lurking around and never posting...I introduced myself way back in Feb? but never have the time to do anything but read! I think all you mommas are da bomb - all of the struggles that come with babies are so much easier when shared!

I have a 28 month old, Mieke, and a 4 month old, Raney (9/05), am a WOHM and dh is a SAHD. He's got his hands really, really full

Having two almost exactly 2 yrs apart is challenging, but I have to say that going from none to one was way harder than going from one to two!

Jen, your pic of Tristan on the last page is gorgeous - I remember the first pic like that I got of Mieke (my 2 yr old) - same position, same smile! It's so fun as they get a little older!

By the way, momma of Mielle, Mieke was almost Miel! I'd never heard of anyone else using that name until you!

#168 ·
welcome back, almamiel; and welcome, birdland!

Jen, those pics are so cute. Tristan is super gorgeous. Look at those dimples! Cute booties!!

Thanks for your encouragement, mandy, I think you're doing a mighty fine job, yourself...

Sarah, I also want to know what in the world you traded to get so many awesome diapers! BTW, I went to sleep last night after nursing McKenna down at about 11:30, and didn't get up until William woke up at 8:30! I can't believe he slept that long; he was in his car seat in a wet flannel diaper only 3 layers thick or so, with plastic pants over it. His outfit was even dry still this morning. And boy was he hungry... So anyway, yay to sleep. (I did wake up to nurse McKenna in bed at about 3 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.)

To encourage those of you who are having sleepless nights, we went through about 2 weeks of sudden frequent wakings, after months of all night sleeping. Now it seems the tide has finally turned, and they're sleeping longer again. Maybe they go through a 4 month growth spurt also?? They have also been eating more during the day, and mcKenna was practically starving in the evenings when my milk supply is lower...

Nice to hear from Greenbeing. How fun that Miles is laughing!

Lazuli, thanks for posting your birth story. It is quite dramatic!

OK, Nicolas needs his teacher... Have a great day, moms...

#171 ·
ARGH! We just pulled through our 3rd case of Mastitis since Anna was born. This one was rough. I teetered on the brink of hospitalization for a day or so before finally starting to get better. I told Dave today that I probably should have chosen the hospital stay...I could use the uninterrupted sleep.

Other than my freaking boobs, things are nice around here. Anna's a nap in the morning, nap in the evening, sleep 12+ hours with one feeding at 6am type of girl. She self-soothes to sleep, too, which is something I never imagined any of my children being able to do. And she sleeps in the crib...ALONE...till the 6am feeding. Almost makes me wonder if I should have put the other two in the crib instead of cosleeping. They're almost 5 and 3 (birthdays in February) and STILL nightwaking and sleeping in our beds 75% of the time.

~L

#174 ·
Leigh
What kind of breastpads are you using? I ask because I had a mastitis (once thank goodness only once!) but quite a few plugged ducts with DD while I was using disposible pads but when I switched to wool pads... not a single plug in 2 years. I highly recommend them, even if you aren't leaking at all, the wool really helps with the bloodflow and to combat plug ducts.

Both my DCs sleep better in a crib/bed than with us.

Sleepless nights
Just when I was getting use to 2 hour wake up with Aidan all night long... he decides to throw in a couple of longer nights over the past 2 weeks. Including a 6 hours span... really need to figure out how we managed that one!! And he goes back to 2 hour wake ups with a couple of only 1 hour cycles in there.
I'm so tired. It's amazing how accustomed to little sleep you get. I remember before Tori was born, I would get to sleep 10 hours if I wanted. In fact during her pregnancy I routinely went to bed by 10pm and slept until 8am. And this from a night owl whos usually up untl 1am every night. After she was born it would kick my butt to only get 6+ hours total over the course of a night. Now... it seems like the norm to only get that much or even a "good nights" sleep. :LOL

Aidan has started chomping on me.
: I don't know if he's teething, he doesn't seem to be doing most of the typical symptoms though he is a spit bubble blowing fiend. :LOL I don't see anything in his mouth showing signs of teeth bumps but the jaw tightening clinch down on my nipple is really starting to get old. At least it isn't a full on bite.

And if he grabs hold and pinchs that tender skin under my jaw and around my throat one more time... I'm going to tape his fingers together. :LOL J/K-ing but man does that hurt and get annoying.

Okay my little man just walked past me with a ripe butt.
I just asked him if he was stinky and I got a HUGE grin, he shrieked and ran into the other room... off to change a foul diaper. :LOL

#175 ·
hey everybody!
welcome new mamas!

meredith, i was just thinking of you and wondering how work was going. it's good to hear from you.

lynsey, where are you? i've been thinking of you too!

leigh, poor you!! i'm so glad you are better.

jen, loved the tristan pics. his dimple is too cute!

so i tried to do flylady, but failed and cancelled my subscription to the emails. it all started with having to put shoes on first thing in the morning. just can't do it. oh well.

babies. i'm already thinking of our next baby. crazy me. i mean, not in an obsessed baby-lust kind of way, just wondering how i'd like them to be spaced and imagining it. i do think we'll wait until lilah is a year old before we try to get pregnant though. gotta say though, i am NOT liking the lambskin condoms. ick. they're cold and wrinkly and wet. ick ick ICK!

so right now BOTH of my kids are asleep. AT THE SAME TIME! they are together in our king sized bed though. that worries me slightly but i keep checking on lilah.

we are definitely in the throes of teething here, complete with fussy baby, drool everywhere and rashy little chin. poor girl!

gotta check out the new birth stories.

love,
c

#176 ·
Welcome Sarah and Birdland!

Jen in Dallas its like in the upper 60's. It was so hot yesterday inside the apartment so we stepped outside for nice fresh air. I hope your family doesn't freeze!

Congrats Pam on your Bradley class. I would like to teach Bradely. Maybe when we get our house.

We took Desmina to get a second opinion on her weight gain. I love her new doctor! She didn't balk at us not vaxing or her slow weight gain. She said that Desi is just small becaue she is Asian and the charts are based on Northen European babies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.