How do you know your 1 year old is eating enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2005, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In relation to the obese baby thread I weighed my baby today and she lost 1 pound, her max was 27 lbs at 6 months then she started to crawl at about 8 mo and went down to 25 lbs by about 9 months or so until recently but now she went to 24 lbs. She was late eating solids and is still a very frequent nurser and eats 3 times a day, fruit, veggies and some yoghurt (she has a dairy allergy so no other dairy yet) and some brown rice and some cereals, and has a good appetite. I really did not want to introduce meat but she will eat some chicken sometimes and tried some egg last week and if she seems to really want it I feel she should have it. She feeds herself mostly except yoghurt and apple sauce (!) and eats a good amount.

I know when they become active they lose weight (she is cruising on everything and she was definitely very chunky before and still has good padding (dont we all!) and nurses a lot.

Should I worry or just let her stabilize? She looks fine and good color, energy (boundless) and appetite...

Thanks! I do not go to a regular MD but have a good ND I use sometimes. She is 1 next week.

Who stole my signature!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about if she isn't dropping DRASTICALLY and she seems in overall good health. Babies this age (becoming more mobile and trying more foods) usually drop a little or stabilize. If she were big to begin with, it would make even more sense that she dropped.

One question, how are you weighing her? Is it on the same scale all the time? And what quality of scale? Even professional health scales can get "off" and need to be recalibrated from time to time. So a pound difference really isn't all that much considering.

FWIW, my babe was 25 1/2 pounds at his 9 month checkup and last week when he was sick and at the doctor's, he was only 26 pounds...2 months later. He'd been gaining a pound a week for awhile, then a pound a month, so it was a surprise that he hadn't gained anything, but expected.

I hope I helped some.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:39 PM

trust your instincts. If you can look at your child and see a healthy, happy baby, she's most likely just fine. If there are any warning bells going off in your head, take her to the doctor!
yup, it has to be the same scale, naked, or her weight could be off by a lot more than you realize.
My children are very thin. doctors are always concerned about it, even though neither of them ever get sick. Let me tell you from first hand experience, there is no possible way to make a child eat more than she wants to eat! You just can't do it. And if you try, it makes everyone miserable, turns meal-time into a big battle, and just isn't worth it.

User Tag List